Low Vitamin D - Help me, you fools! :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm only 26, but I know a lot of this information exists and people who are familiar with this stuff hang out in the anti-aging subforum. I just had vitamin D tested and it showed up as 23.8 (low) in a ref range of 30-80. I know that it's supposed to be kept very high within that normal range, too. I have Hashimoto's and so this is certainly one more reason for my sense of urgency in correcting this.

My question to you is this: how should I dose vitamin D to bring this up?

I believe there are prescriptions for high IU dosages of D3, correct? I guess what I'm curious of is if I should request one, as I assume doing this OTC will get kind of pricey. However, I'm also curious of half-life, if the doses should be broken up, with or without food, any other vitamins/minerals that hinder absorption, etc.

I plan to do some research of my own on this, this evening, but I'm out the door right now and rather than waste time, I'd love some assistance on what to do next. Thanks (and reps for those who attempt to help!)!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for repz.
Drink lots of milk.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get your pigmentless body into the sun, especially your hands and face. No more vitamin D deficiency+bronze blake=win!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
first, stop having sex with animals.

even at 20,000 iu a day you are looking at a couple bucks a month tops.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bump

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a helpful little guide I found for ya:

There are many causes that can lead to vitamin D deficiency. Since vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins it is not good idea to have lower vitamin D levels through longer periods of time. Even if in most cases vitamin D deficiency is not serious, it should be timely taken care of. These most cases of vitamin D deficiency are usually treated with higher doses of vitamin D supplements.
Following things are main causes for vitamin D deficiency:
  • Low cholesterol level, as cholesterol is needed for the skin to convert sunlight into vitamin D.
  • Intake of certain medications.
  • Very large or obese body, as a larger body simply requires more vitamin D.
  • Magnesium deficiency, as magnesium is needed for vitamin D to be converted into its active form.
  • Low fat diets; in order to absorb vitamin D the body needs to have fat (vitamin D is fat-soluble).
  • Older age, as the skin converts less vitamin D from sunlight.
  • Living in the far North or far South.
  • Very dark skin, as the dark skin can block ultraviolet rays to reach the cells responsible for making vitamin D in the skin.
Additionally there are further serious causes provoking vitamin D deficiency. One of these causes is fat malabsorption, meaning the body can not absorb fat. People diagnosed with health conditions, particularly with digestion problems are likely to have problems with vitamin D absorption.
If your liver is too toxic, meaning your liver can not efficiently eliminate the accumulated toxins, it will not be able to efficiently convert vitamin D to its active form.
Just because there is so many possible causes, most of the people have low vitamin D levels. This produce state of vitamin D deficiency, which means that your body is not getting sufficient amounts of vitamin D from foods, direct sunlight and/or vitamin D supplements. Many people are certain they are getting enough vitamin D from sun, food and multivitamin supplements, but the truth is they do not.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Sams club has it cheap! You from Ky? Should be one nearby.

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
4000-5000 iu daily would probably set you straight my man. I don't believe dosing is critical, I usually dose in the morning(when using it) a full dose, but I suppose multiple dosings would work as well. A year or two ago I had a vitamin d test done and like yours it was also pretty low (low 30's if I recall), I started dosing 5000 iu a day, went tanning a few times, and got retested like six weeks later and my levels were in the upper range( like 60-70 range I believe)- and subsequently my hormonal panel was also improved. I used a liquid form that came with a dropper and was super easy to use as well as super cheap.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I GOT IT! Midwestbeard, the answer is right in front of you and all over you...literally. Now it's no secret that you are hairier than a woolly mammoth yeti cross-breed degenerate. All of that beautiful fur may be keeping you warm but it's also blocking out all the vitamin D from the number one source, sunlight. It's time to shed that winter coat my friend and bask in the light!

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
My doctor prescribed 50,000IU once per week. Been on it for around 3 months, while also getting 6-8000 IU daily from a T-Booster for one of those months. That brought my levels from ~40 to 80 on bloodwork done in the last week, which is where my doctor wants me to be.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got a sun tan lotion and a tanning bed. Well, that's not entirely true. The local establishment, which I graced with my nude body, has the tanning beds.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you for all of the responses, guys. I greatly appreciate it.

There are a handful of things going on. I actually don't have the thick coat that you seem to think, James lol. I trim up, so it's all short hair. However, this past summer, aside from the 2 weeks in HI, I was out of the sun most of the time because of the weight gain. Due to that, I'd also stopped tanning and haven't in quite some time.

That being said, I plan to start tanning again, but I'd also like to supplement vitamin D, because even though the normal range is very wide, it's optimal to be at a very high vitamin D level (at least in my case). As far as that list of things goes, James, I'm actually not doing anything that would put me at a deficiency.

jaymode - that sounds like what I'd like to do. My biggest question, still, is if there are any benefits to dosing it: multiple times per day, with or without anything specific. I also want to know if there is a threshold (e.g. how vitamin C isn't advised to be taken in doses over 500mg or how the body can only absorb certain amounts of vitamins or minerals at a given time). Does anyone have info on that?

I do have some D3 stashed away and I'll probably start dosing that, along with tanning, but I certainly want my levels up at least at 70, if not higher, and dosing a scrip value would be preferable if there's no downside to dosing that way (or if it isn't ridiculously priced versus some NOW D3 or something).

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
4 Pills of the 50000IU Vitamin D3 costs me around $17 from my pharmacy. I always take it after a meal since it is fat soluble

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read the title of the thread, and immediately thought, "who is this A-Hole?"

:lol:

It looks like you have most of it figured out now.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
500,000IU for $6 from Swanson. I think I know what I'm doing.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would try and take it with your largest meal of the day or at least with fats to improve absorption.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Yea my insurance doesn't cover the d3 and I thought it would be cheaper to take in supplement form, which you just proved.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I ended up going with a 250 count bottle of 5,000IU for $14 shipped.

Thank you to everyone who posted in here for your help (and a big thank you to mr. cooper69 for giving me some assistance via PM).

I really appreciate it.

:grouphug:

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Again you are falling into the typical pattern, Just because you take a supplement your levels will go up . Guess again, I brought this up to a bunch of Dr's last night and explained the theory behind it. They where like that make sense....

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Again you are falling into the typical pattern, Just because you take a supplement your levels will go up . Guess again, I brought this up to a bunch of Dr's last night and explained the theory behind it. They where like that make sense....
Can you explain?
Are you basically saying that supplementing with vit D isn't necessarily going to bring his levels back within range?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Many people have absorption issues with vitamin D along with many other things. It's individual and not a guaranteed quick fix.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Many people have absorption issues with vitamin D along with many other things. It's individual and not a guaranteed quick fix.
Excessive body fat can act with an organ which will increase the need for vitamin D.
Its not the vitamin D, but the form

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well what would your recommendation be, then?

I plan to supplement with a high dose of D3, along with getting into the sun as much as I can, whenever weather permits it (being in the midwest, it's always hit and miss).

Aside from that, I don't see what else I'd be overlooking, because that level is obviously very low and no where near what I want it to be.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well what would your recommendation be, then?

I plan to supplement with a high dose of D3, along with getting into the sun as much as I can, whenever weather permits it (being in the midwest, it's always hit and miss).

Aside from that, I don't see what else I'd be overlooking, because that level is obviously very low and no where near what I want it to be.
keep in mind that for sunlight to be meaningful, it does need to be over a significant fraction of your skin area if I recall

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
keep in mind that for sunlight to be meaningful, it does need to be over a significant fraction of your skin area if I recall
Not true one may absorb it, but may not convert to vitamin D in the skin because of possible mutations which may be occuring or some kind of enzymatic deficiency. When you have people from florida with good tans people think vitamin D levels are high ..NOT TRUE. Blacks have one of the highest rate of vitamin D deficiency I see in ethnic backgrounds

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not true one may absorb it, but may not convert to vitamin D in the skin because of possible mutations which may be occuring or some kind of enzymatic deficiency. When you have people from florida with good tans people think vitamin D levels are high ..NOT TRUE. Blacks have one of the highest rate of vitamin D deficiency I see in ethnic backgrounds
Right. I'd read that those with darker skin often have issues.

But there's no way to know if there's a conversion problem or something else short of supplementing and getting more sun and then re-testing. And even if there is other testing and things to look at, why wouldn't I just do these things, check levels again and then if it's still low, go from there and pursue another culprit.

I've been out of the sun almost entirely in the past 8 months. It would make sense that that, along with just a general tendency to have lower D levels, could be the problem.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Its not rocket sceince
Test supplement retest.
Question is what is causing it? It might be a red flag to other issues.
Right. I'd read that those with darker skin often have issues.

But there's no way to know if there's a conversion problem or something else short of supplementing and getting more sun and then re-testing. And even if there is other testing and things to look at, why wouldn't I just do these things, check levels again and then if it's still low, go from there and pursue another culprit.

I've been out of the sun almost entirely in the past 8 months. It would make sense that that, along with just a general tendency to have lower D levels, could be the problem.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its not rocket sceince
Test supplement retest.
Oh no doubt. The main reason I wanted it checked in the first place was the confirmation that I have Hashimoto's and looking at the proper way of finding the problem (hopefully an imbalance in TH-1 and TH-2) and correcting it, so I can level my body back out and I should also be able to get off of the thyroid meds, too.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

fanzdslpwr1

Awards
is the tanning booth a good option if you can't get some sun?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, my endo says that sunlight on upper legs and lower stomach can be better. I am a pro surfer, but in wetsuits a majority of the time as I hit big wave breaks in cold places and in winter swells. Doc said face, forearms and lower legs not as good. My D has run low a couple of times over the years. I just take 800 ius a day in off season and when not in sun light a lot.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, my endo says that sunlight on upper legs and lower stomach can be better. I am a pro surfer, but in wetsuits a majority of the time as I hit big wave breaks in cold places and in winter swells. Doc said face, forearms and lower legs not as good. My D has run low a couple of times over the years. I just take 800 ius a day in off season and when not in sun light a lot.
800 ius will not do crap..your endo is totally misinformed like usual

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Its not rocket sceince
Test supplement retest.

Which other issues (besides no sun, absorption, or enzymatic issues) can cause low vitamin D?

I personally take 10,000iu of D3 per day. Once a week or so I take 25,000 iu. If for some reason Iv'e been forgetting to supplement, I take 25,000 iu for a week or two then back to 10,000 iu.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Which other issues (besides no sun, absorption, or enzymatic issues) can cause low vitamin D?

I personally take 10,000iu of D3 per day. Once a week or so I take 25,000 iu. If for some reason Iv'e been forgetting to supplement, I take 25,000 iu for a week or two then back to 10,000 iu.
Altered SNP's

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Ahh so it can come down to genetics.
More like many people have the gene, but if it gets triggered that is a whole other scenerio.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
800 ius will not do crap..your endo is totally misinformed like usual
Haha, you don't know who my endo is, but unless you are an Olympic athlete or pro athlete you ain't seeing her. You also don't know my levels. My D3 is in the sweet spot so how can you opine that 800ius is not sufficient. Perfect for me in off season or winter months. Point is that D levels fluctuate and recommending mega high doses of D3, especially without a dexa, and a series of labs is quackery.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't remember how much D3 the body can produce on it's own in one day if out in the sun. Something like 16,000 IU, all by itself. So no, it's not quackery. It's healthy to have your D3 at top of range. Even if you take 12,000 IU's per day, you are not overdosing.

People who are taking ultra high doses of D3, they're only doing it for a short term until they reach a maintenance dose. And yes everyone is individual, but you will not OD on 10-12K IU's per day, if the body is capable of making that all on it's own in an optimal setting.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't remember how much D3 the body can produce on it's own in one day if out in the sun. Something like 16,000 IU, all by itself. So no, it's not quackery. It's healthy to have your D3 at top of range. Even if you take 12,000 IU's per day, you are not overdosing.

People who are taking ultra high doses of D3, they're only doing it for a short term until they reach a maintenance dose. And yes everyone is individual, but you will not OD on 10-12K IU's per day, if the body is capable of making that all on it's own in an optimal setting.
I am top of range with 800 ius a day even though I have had a few low readings here and there. So one low reading without a dexa may not warrant mega dose. A little sun exposure to torso and upper legs along with a maintenance dose of D3 may set you straight. There are contraindications or downsides to mega high doses if D3, but most if those are perhaps issues better discussed with a doctor based on health, calcium values, history of stones, medications and etc.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's definitely something that should be followed up with bloodwork. People shouldn't supplement blindly or needlessly. I would say overall, most people are somewhat deficient though in the western world.

On a side note, are you a pro athlete or do you compete? If so what do you do?
If not, how did you get in with that dr?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Haha, you don't know who my endo is, but unless you are an Olympic athlete or pro athlete you ain't seeing her. You also don't know my levels. My D3 is in the sweet spot so how can you opine that 800ius is not sufficient. Perfect for me in off season or winter months. Point is that D levels fluctuate and recommending mega high doses of D3, especially without a dexa, and a series of labs is quackery.
Why testing is crucial to.anything..sure its not 8000 ius ? Unless you are out.in the sun well.below 30 th parallel for few hours a day or tanning then.you are. reak lol be an interesting challenge to.find to see if i can.find out who.she is...lol

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's definitely something that should be followed up with bloodwork. People shouldn't supplement blindly or needlessly. I would say overall, most people are somewhat deficient though in the western world.

On a side note, are you a pro athlete or do you compete? If so what do you do?
If not, how did you get in with that dr?
Pro surfer. I am nit really her normal patient either, but I kid her about being a cougar with a soft spot for surfers. Just 800 ius. I am in wet suits quit a bit. I agree mist docs are clueless which is why I fly across country to my doc. Gets lots of good stuff from her amd undergo crazy type of testing to optimize diet, endurance and O2. I have a doc friend locally that does my IVs now so I only see my endo once a month. I have nothing but an amazing transformation since seeing her. True fountain of youth.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Pro surfer. I am nit really her normal patient either, but I kid her about being a cougar with a soft spot for surfers. Just 800 ius. I am in wet suits quit a bit. I agree mist docs are clueless which is why I fly across country to my doc. Gets lots of good stuff from her amd undergo crazy type of testing to optimize diet, endurance and O2. I have a doc friend locally that does my IVs now so I only see my endo once a month. I have nothing but an amazing transformation since seeing her. True fountain of youth.
Reason being is you get reflection off the water which amplifes the effect of the sunliight.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahh that's interesting. What sort of IVs? I wish I could get frequent nutrient IV pushes just by request, especially glutathione and glutamine. Certain things that are basically destroyed by the gut or not very bio-available.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm only 26, but I know a lot of this information exists and people who are familiar with this stuff hang out in the anti-aging subforum. I just had vitamin D tested and it showed up as 23.8 (low) in a ref range of 30-80. I know that it's supposed to be kept very high within that normal range, too. I have Hashimoto's and so this is certainly one more reason for my sense of urgency in correcting this.

My question to you is this: how should I dose vitamin D to bring this up?

I believe there are prescriptions for high IU dosages of D3, correct? I guess what I'm curious of is if I should request one, as I assume doing this OTC will get kind of pricey. However, I'm also curious of half-life, if the doses should be broken up, with or without food, any other vitamins/minerals that hinder absorption, etc.

I plan to do some research of my own on this, this evening, but I'm out the door right now and rather than waste time, I'd love some assistance on what to do next. Thanks (and reps for those who attempt to help!)!

Here is some great information by the guy who wrote the Metabolic Diet which I have been using for years.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahh that's interesting. What sort of IVs? I wish I could get frequent nutrient IV pushes just by request, especially glutathione and glutamine. Certain things that are basically destroyed by the gut or not very bio-available.
Glutathione, DMSO, preps like Myers, but she has her own formula and mixtures based on individual, b12, collagen marshmallow, magnesium sulfate, alpha lipoic acid, Folate, glyoxia???, some coenzyme compositum, antioxidant mixture that is part of myers like mixture. I have done some chelation although I am not into that. I got my almagam removed from my mouth and did a chelation since you can get more mercury into bloodstream during removal.

I get vo2 and lactate analyzer along with glucose uptake some crazy NASA type nutrient testing apparatus. This kind of dictates what she does. Some other stuff is done here and there too like dexa and body comp.

BTW isn't OP from Kentucky. Is he okay with as far as tornado crap today?