Leg Day Routine Without Squats

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I had lower back surgery a few years ago and because of that I will never be able to deadlift. I'm also pretty uncomfortable squatting. Its possibly a mental thing, but its a risk I'm not willing to take. That being said, I feel like my legs aren't growing like my upper body.

Any suggestions for a leg day routine without squatting or deadlifting? I do a lot of weighted lunges, leg extension/curl supersets, leg press, etc, but I don't seem to be responding to them.

Also, please don't tell me to start on a smith machine and/or start light to work on my form. I'm not deadlifting. I'm not squatting. If thats going to be your response, no offense but you can leave the thread.

kisaj

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love split squats and they are a good addition to lunges since they focus on 1 leg, while lunges are effectively hitting both. You can also get creative and work squat movements with landmine squats. Hack squats as well. I would avoid leg press if you have back issues, especially lower back issues.

Abercrombie33

Awards
I'm coming back from a torn labrum in my hip. Squats and DL are light weight only, which sucks. But I'm loving split squats. Even with minimal weight I can really feel the imbalances between the left and right side. I can't say if they will help with growth, but split squats are going to be a staple of my routine for awhile.

kisaj

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm coming back from a torn labrum in my hip. Squats and DL are light weight only, which sucks. But I'm loving split squats. Even with minimal weight I can really feel the imbalances between the left and right side. I can't say if they will help with growth, but split squats are going to be a staple of my routine for awhile.
Split squats will absolutely help with growth and strength.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Goblet Squats
-KB
-DB
-Landmine

Split Squats
-Held like Goblet Squat
-Barbell
-DB

Step-ups

Lunges
-Rear
-Traveling
-Stationary
-Barbell
-Front squat held barbell
-30deg lunge

One-legged DB/KB/BB SLDL

DB SLDL/RDL

Glute-Ham Raise

ljc1054

Awards
Same story with me. Herniated 2 discs and had surgery on my back and not willing to do squats or deadlifts.
My leg routine now includes front squats, goblet squats, leg press, barbell lunges with a front squat bar hold. I feel no back pain from these lifts

ljc1054

Awards
And with leg press, I stick with single leg only to limit pressure on lower back

jaces

jaces

Awards
try deep squats for 10 reps but instead of going down fast you make the negative portion 5 sec..a 1second pause at the bottom..3 seconds up and another 1 second pause were you sqeeuze youre quads..wont need much weight for that.. or just try sissy squats