70(x2)/100/130x5
160x3
(+ red 7mm elbows)
190x3
215x2
(+ dual ply)
[email protected]
245x2@9 - failed at this on the second rep when going for my 3rm on 1/15
255x1, fail second (video), once again shoulda gone 5lb less. Think im good for 260x1 if i get some decent leg drive.

*New Log 1rm* - old was 250 on both a 10” and 12” log

•Strict Log Pin press
160x5
180x3
200x1+ —> x8@10 = e1rm 253.... huh
*Rep PR*

Ss/

•Rocky PU (3x8)
+ 25 x8x3

•ohd Band ext: mm x30 x2
Ss/
•hammer curl (3x10): 35x10x3

This fucking HS kid was jumping off walls grabbing onto rings, setting up boxes and jumping all over the gym, doing twists onto soft mats, then came up to me snapped his finger at me and asked me if they have springboards at this gym. What in gods fucking name is happening. Lucky this all happened during my warmups. If i was over 160-190 i might have just cleaned this kid and threw him over my head like a sandbag over bar. Its mid February, kid is a little late for his resolution.

Edit: here’s the video of the top set.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the new best!!! Are you working on a 12” log or 10”? My best was only 263 on a 12” a month before my bicep gave out. You have made pretty timely progress on log I would say!

Also, do you have access to an axle?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats on the new best!!! Are you working on a 12” log or 10”? My best was only 263 on a 12” a month before my bicep gave out. You have made pretty timely progress on log I would say!

Also, do you have access to an axle?
Thanks brotha. 10” Titan Log is the one I bought last Feb. Used the 12” a couple times when I was in NM for 5 weeks but otherwise all of my work has been done on a 10” log. I agree, the 3rd time I used it which is when I went for a 3rm i failed the 3rd rep at 205...this was on 3/11/19. Now if I can only add 50lbs per year for the same number of reps I can be competitive in...3-4 years .

I do, yes. Funny you asked...i was thinking I may wanna try some axle presses soon.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Axle is in a lot of shows. Not as much as log, and log transfers better to axle pressing than vice versa so it’s a better staple, but the cleans are so different it’s important to practice some. After your first show you should try it out some. Still thinking about that show at Surge in April?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Axle is in a lot of shows. Not as much as log, and log transfers better to axle pressing than vice versa so it’s a better staple, but the cleans are so different it’s important to practice some. After your first show you should try it out some. Still thinking about that show at Surge in April?
Been thinking about it a lot...it isnt looking like Brooke and I will be moving from here until the end of April so it isnt looking promising. I did see on Jakked’s IG yesterday that theyre gonna be putting a comp on in May. I haven’t looked at the events yet but im thinking about switching my sights to that one as it will just work out better for me. I do think their post showed an axle/log press medley and stated that itd be an event...so i may have to get to practicing sooner rather than later.

Edit: looked up the events. Kinda lame. Novice events are borderline too light to make it fun and id have to put in some serious work to be able to not bomb out of everything in the 242 HWs. See below...pics werent working again.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Events

IMG_6629.JPG

Cant get the stupid ass pictures to work.

HW novice weights are:
Axle/Log Medley: 180/190
Deadlift: 395
Farmers: 200
Husafel/Sandbag Medley: 225/200
3 stone carry and load: 210/232/265

242+ HW:
Axle/Log Medley: 250/260
Deadlift: 605
Farmers: 265
Husafel/Sandbag Medley: 300/265
3 stone carry and load: 288/309/330

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do the novice anyway!!! So what if you dominate or do a lot more reps than others. It is you VS you, plus getting the experience and excitement of competition. I say do whatever one makes sense there is no way it isn't challenging if you are trying to give it everything that YOU have.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do the novice anyway!!! So what if you dominate or do a lot more reps than others. It is you VS you, plus getting the experience and excitement of competition. I say do whatever one makes sense there is no way it isn't challenging if you are trying to give it everything that YOU have.
I second this. You should get a feel for competing in a strongman show because they tend to be run much more casually (everything is subject to change on the fly and there’s much less rest or notice than something like powerlifting).

Also a guy that trains with us may want to do the lightweight novice here; I know he’s been thinking a lot about it. So I may have to go anyway lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I second this. You should get a feel for competing in a strongman show because they tend to be run much more casually (everything is subject to change on the fly and there’s much less rest or notice than something like powerlifting).

Also a guy that trains with us may want to do the lightweight novice here; I know he’s been thinking a lot about it. So I may have to go anyway lol.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hear you guys. I have til 4/15 to decide so I’ll mull it over (10$ cheaper if i enter before 3/7). Would be fun to get out and compete in a competition setting regardless, youre right.

Did 20m of cardio on the elliptical today. Wanted to do 30 but i was so fukkin bored i stopped at 20.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're healthy enough I say do it. Competition is good for the soul!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strongman really is more casual too. It doesn’t have the same level of arousal as a power meet. I mean they’re exciting and people get amped and cheer a lot, but local meets tend to be pretty relaxed - like a bunch of guys getting together to lift weights that day. It’s national events and up that feel higher strung, you can feel there’s more to lose and more structure. Local shows are about fun.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W11 day 2

WU:
Dyn

Tall kneeling anti ext pallof: light x10s/3sx5, 3, 3
Ss/
Rusin PA: Mini x20x2

Back ext anti lateral flexion: 25x10/3x3x2
Ss/
Back ext: bw x15x2

Hip banded kb swing: avg + 53 x20

•SG DL (350-425x6-10x3-4
135/185/225x10
275x5
315x5
(+ belt, straps)
350x10
[email protected]
415x6@8
395x8@8

Major cue i was thinking about was just chest up. Helped me with my wedge, so if i just can get chest up + floor apart going at the same time i will have days like a few weeks ago much more consistently.

Lockout was starting to get tough on the last few reps of sets 3&4. Going into a comp deloaded and in my comp conv stance my goal would be 395x15 in 60s then vomit.

•Rev SSB FS (245-300x8-12x2-3)
70/120/170x8
205x5
[email protected]
( reg ssb squat)
245x8

Got my main and MSM movement in...didnt fuel adequately before this and I threw in the towel after fronts. Took every ounce of energy i had to get through just this work. Gonna come back tomorrow to finish some SL work and Meadows.

•SL work (3x8)

Ss/

•Meadows row (5x8)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
RFESS
Bw x8 x2
70 per hand x8x3

Ss/

Standing meadows rows
100x8x2
125x8x2

Cold tub x7m
Hot tub x5m
Cold tub x3m
Hot tub x5m

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 11 day 3

WU:
Dyn stretch

Band disloc: 3x15
Ss/
ring row pull: 3x15
ss/
Band PA: mini x20x3
Ss/
Band NG tri ext: mini x15x3

•NG inc bp (170x2x6 EMOM)
55/105/135/155x5
170x2x6 EMOM

•Comp BP (230x3x3 EMOM)
135x10
185x5
215x2
245x2
275x1
295x1
315x1@8
335x1@9
230x3x3 EMOM

•1/2 kneeling iso row (3x8)
85x8x3

Ss/

•Lateral raise (2x12)
20x12x2

•UDHD tri ext (2x12)
55x12x2

Ss/

•Duffin UR row (2x12)
53 x12x2

Went off the books and worked up to a heavy single on bench. Still not making progress on it but im not losing any either so I’ll keep going with my overhead lifts.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 12 day 1

Program is set up where this would be my competition week so it is a deload. It calls for off today, light overhead and light practice work on worst event tomorrow, then off the rest of the week except for some LISS 2 days before comp day. I didnt feel like doing the usual deloads, but also felt like i should do some form of a deload. So i just came in and did whatever i wanted as long as it was within reason.

Dyn stretch
Hamstring/hip flexor stretch: 3m each leg

1. Pushup: x20x2, x15
Ss/
1a. Tall kneeling anti ext: 120x10s/3 sx 5, 4, 4 (cable station by the stretching area - the best cable station in the entire gym is hidden way in the back...stoked i found it).

Ohd laying tri cable ext: 120x12

2. PU: Bw (248) x 8 wide, pron
NG: up to 3rm, AMRAP
+25x3
+45x3
[email protected]
+ 90x2.5
Bw x10

Ss/
2a. Anti rot pallof: light x10s/3s x5 reps for 3 sets

3. Anti lateral flexion on back ext: 25x10/5x3x3
Ss/
3a. Back ext (glute focus): x20x3

Couple rounds of contrast therapy with 2 bouts of 10m in the cold tub.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thinking any more about Jakked? If so, touch that axle!

My bench only appears to be about 315 at the moment but at least that’s my natty everyday bench now. I remember my first designer cycle missing 260

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thinking any more about Jakked? If so, touch that axle!

My bench only appears to be about 315 at the moment but at least that’s my natty everyday bench now. I remember my first designer cycle missing 260
Definitely still considering it, absolutely. Id imagine i could probably standard clean the axle at only 190...would you recommend doing the continental clean even if i can just standard clean it?

Isnt it awesome to reflect back on how far we’ve come?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely still considering it, absolutely. Id imagine i could probably standard clean the axle at only 190...would you recommend doing the continental clean even if i can just standard clean it?

Isnt it awesome to reflect back on how far we’ve come?
I would know how, in case the press is after deads or a carry and you miss the powerclean from fatigue, you should know how to execute the continental. It will be the only way to execute a max axle press too, which is a fairly common event.

Yes it is.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Final deload day

Dyn stretch
Donnie shoulder series
Hip banded kb swing: avg + 53x20x2
Ss/
Rusin PA: mini x20x2

Hammer curl: 20lb x20

•Sandbag over bar (1” below clavicle height)
100x4
150x2x6 60s rest b/t

•Axle clean and press (190x0.6 = 115)
(Rogue Stubby Axle - the other axle at my gym has a hollow sleeve over what looks like a standard barbell, it is the correct width/length but the sleeve rotates so it isn’t necessarily the same as an axle youd find in a comp)
(190 is the comp weight so i just used 60% of that for this technique work)
50x5 singles e30s
(Mini band hammer curl x20 each arm)
80x5 singles e30s
100x5 singles e30s
120x5 singles e30s

I was doing the hand flip in one motion with the pull to the belly (im sure theres a special name for this position, just donno what it is). Hyde (or anyone else that has experience with it, just singled him out cuz i know he does) do you recommend one motion or getting it to the belly then flipping to doh?

Also, i need a bigger belly.

•Hatfield squat w/ Rogue SSB (thinking of changing zerchers out for these for a cycle)
70/120/160/210/250/300x5
(+ belt)
340x3
390x1
430x1
460x1
480x1
500x3@8 - was planning on hitting this for a single @6 but after the first rep I “yolod” it instead. Probably not the best move on a deload but a single @8 set for an entire week shouldnt hinder my fatigue reduction all that much.

Super D hangs and out.

How would you guys recommend inserting the axle c&p? I am thinking ill just straight sub it in for the main log work and keep the strict log pin press as my accessory. But then there are multiple sources out there saying the continental clean isnt something you want to be doing every week so thats where my reservations are stemming from.

My parents are flying in tonight and my little bro tomorrow for my graduation ceremony on Saturday. Then we’ll be heading to Portland Maine for the night. My brother leaves Sunday and my parents Tuesday morning I believe so im unsure if ill get a workout in Monday or not. Then I take my national certifying exam next Saturday so i wont get a workout in Saturday and potentially not sunday either.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You really need to make the first pull DOH. Most of the bicep tears on axle are from people making the first pull with a split grip. DOH saves the tendon a lot and means you don’t have to waste energy to flip at the belly. If it’s so heavy you must split, I switch at the belly before the second pull. If you use DOH, weekly shouldn’t be a problem for a block.

Lowering the front of your belt as low as you can will help accentuate any bodyfat you do have and create a broader shelf to catch the first pull. Also lean back some and try to keep the elbows high, not back.

Congrats on the graduation!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Ken is a good strongman & guy. He has taken care of Jess’s Cerberus gear for us, and competed at Giants Live multiple times. This was a good video he just sent out, not sure if you got it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Ken is a good strongman & guy. He has taken care of Jess’s Cerberus gear for us, and competed at Giants Live multiple times. This was a good video he just sent out, not sure if you got it.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So it seems like every video ive watched, including this one by Ken, all say that youre going to have to use a mixed grip eventually. I get what youre saying about keeping it doh for as long as you can, though. Seems like its really personal preference between flipping your hand as the bar is coming to your abdomen or as a separate move after you stomach it - so ill just keep practicing on getting that under hand off the bar asap as that should help reduce the risk of saying bye bye to your biceps tendon some, albeit likely a small amount. There is the possibility i could just use a doh grip for the weight thered be at the comp, but i wont know until these next few weeks when i really get to training it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So it seems like every video ive watched, including this one by Ken, all say that youre going to have to use a mixed grip eventually. I get what youre saying about keeping it doh for as long as you can, though. Seems like its really personal preference between flipping your hand as the bar is coming to your abdomen or as a separate move after you stomach it - so ill just keep practicing on getting that under hand off the bar asap as that should help reduce the risk of saying bye bye to your biceps tendon some, albeit likely a small amount. There is the possibility i could just use a doh grip for the weight thered be at the comp, but i wont know until these next few weeks when i really get to training it.
Right. You need to know how to flip. But fortunately it’s pretty instinctive, that part. Ken off-sets his underhand so he can flip it 180* in place, but Jessica and I were discussing this yesterday and she prefers to pull with her underhand at normal deadlift width (even tho she only deadlifts doh w straps). It comes down to preference/ what you can do efficiently.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Doubled

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 1 day 1

I set my max very conservatively at 200lb for the axle clean and press for this week and next week before working up to a heavy x4 set come week 3.

Dyn warmup
Rusin shoulder series
1. Band disloc: x15x2
2. Band pull apart: mini x20x2
3. Ring row pull: bw x20x2
Band curl: mini x20x2
GHR: bw x15x2

•Axle C&P (clean every rep) (140x5x4, 1 AMRAP capped at 60s)
20x20 presses only
50x10 (1 clean)
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5x4
140x9 in 60s (it was either 9 or 10, i second guessed my count on reps 5-6 so i just went with the lower end).

Cleaning that from the stomach to the chest is already weird af without the rotation of the bar. Im assuming my hands are just supposed to rotate around the bar vs trying to do a wrist extension every rep?

Just wanna say thank you to Hyde for telling me to start doing this if i had any inkling of signing up for that comp in May lol. Was able to do all of these DOH...id imagine my forearms will be sore tomorrow from the fat bar grip work and all the wrist extension that goes into this lift.

•Log Strict Rack Press
70x5
100x5
120x5
145x5
170x5+ —> x9@9

•Rocky PU (5x12)
Bw x12, 10, 10, 8, 8

Ss/

•Band pec fly
Mini x15
MM x15x2

•Cable OHD rolling tris
110x15
120x15x2

Ss/

•Straight bar cable curls (3x15)
110x15
110x12 - drop -> 100x3
100x15

Man. Feels good to be back. My upper body was so pumped after this one after all the grub ive been eating the last few days with the parents in town. Really really trying to be good about being consistent with direct high rep bicep training now that i am doing something that really puts them in a vulnerable position. Ideally I would’ve done this for a few months beforehand but i was too lazy and blind to do so.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think honestly I didn’t really let go of the axle much, but the rotation certainly comes from rotating the elbows under like a traditional clean - you are definitely intentionally not reverse curling it.

They’re weird and awkward. Don’t push your biceps too hard right now. Building up prior would have been ideal but consider the axle is already working them harder, so don’t go IFBB on the arm work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Don't go IFBB on the arm work. Classic!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good point on that. My brachioradialis is sore at the distal attachment from all that reverse curl like movement. Biceps dont feel particularly sore though. They’re no doubt working though.

Theyre super friggin awkward...190 might honestly give me trouble in getting it to the chest from the belly. Im sure I’ll improve pretty quickly as my technical proficiency and comfortability with the lift increases. The press will be no issue at all.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 1 day 2

Dyn stretch
Anti-ext pallof press: light x10/3x5x3 (first 2 tall kneeling, 3rd standing after loving the band to a higher cross beam).
Hip banded kb swing: 70lb x20x2

• DL (320x2x12 E30s)
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x3x2 (first beltless, 2nd with belt)
(+ belt)
320x2x12 E30s (first 6 SG w/o straps, next 2 doh reg grip, next 4 alternating mixed grips) - i want to try and work more comp style pulling into this cycle but dont want to completely abandon SGs since despite it not panning out at the end of the cycle there was a sign of promise with them last go round.

•Rev Ssb FS (75-85%x4-6x4) (275-315) (flats)
70/100/130/160/190x5 beltless
(+ belt)
220/250x5
275x4 hit the pin on the first 2 so i did a pseudo pin squat on the second two where i very very briefly set it down on the pins then transitioned into the concentric.
Move pins down
[email protected]
(Loosen belt a notch - felt like it was restricting my air, the next notch down felt a tad too loose but i went with it)
250x5@9
250x5@9

•Unil work (3-5x12)
1. SSB BW Lunge from ~3” deficit (3x12)
70x12x2

2. Foot and shoulder elevated SL Bridge (2x12)
(Will do at home later)

Ss/

•Bench Supported Meadows rows (4x12)
100x12x2
(Will make up 2 sets tomorrow)

I have a phone interview scheduled for 2 and thought I gave myself enough time to get this in beforehand. I lost track of time and it was 1:10 by the time i realized what time it was so i did 1 more set of lunges and 1 set of meadows then gtfo. I like these lunges, thinking i might add a mini or monster mini around my hips from behind me to add in a little bit more emphasis on terminal hip extension.

Wasnt a very good session. Deads and fronts both felt heavier than they shouldve. I feel like i still have the consistency of a novice lifter and for someone who has been deadlifting at least 1x a week for 5 years that is a shitty feeling. You’d think i would’ve figured something out by now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hope the interview goes well!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Turned out to be less of a true interview and more of just a phone call with a recruiter who is gonna hopefully help me find a job. I’ve never worked with a job recruiter before and it still seems too good to be true that I dont have to pay them anything.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 1 day 3

Bw 247

WU
Dyn
Circuit:
Band disloc x12x2
Rusin PA: mini x20x2
Ring row: x15x2
Band pushdown: mini draped over beam at midpoint x20x2

•45 deg Ng BP (x4@10, 90%x5x2)
55/85x8
115x5
145x5
175x4
(+ elbow sleeves)
200x4
215x4@9
225x3 fail lockout on 4th - use 220
200x5@9
[email protected]

•slightly Wider than comp Bp w/ viper bar
My hands on the innermost part of the horizontal grip option on the viper bar is ~pinky on ring on a comp bar.
145x10
195x5
225x5
250x3
270x2x3@6/6.5/7

•1/2 kneeling cable row (5x12) (upstairs nautilus)
150x12x5

(This stack goes up to 250 so ive got room to progress on these again, I had been maxing out the stack to 85 downstairs - no idea what unit it was cuz it definitely isnt lbs or kg)

Ss/

•unil sup grip Cable pushdown
50x15
65x12
65x12 (with rope - felt like i got better tri iso from this)
(Fuk, misread my excel sheet - was supposed to be 15 after all, like i did on set 1)

•Duffin UR row (3x15)
53 lb x15 sloppy
44 lb x15x2

Ss/

•lateral raise (2x15)
20x15x2

•Hammer curl (1xAMRAP)
- goal is to find a weight i can get close to 20 on and progress by 5 lbs once I can get to 20. Doing both hands at the same time so i am done once the weakest side is finished.
30x20 —> that was honestly a challenging weight so it was a good choice to start with. Up to 35 next week.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Turned out to be less of a true interview and more of just a phone call with a recruiter who is gonna hopefully help me find a job. I’ve never worked with a job recruiter before and it still seems too good to be true that I dont have to pay them anything.
Oh I have worked with them TRUST they get a huge chunk of change. A temp to perm position pays them over a period of time and if you are brought on full time they are getting paid in the 5 digits. For a full time hire on they get anywhere from 25g and up for a solid job. You are in a good industry so you will net them a big profit. Not saying that the recruiter working with you will get that but think about it more along the lines of they will get a commission similar to if they sold a car the same price as your salary.

It is a big business.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 1 day 4

WU:
1. Dyn stretch
2. Front loaded Banded glute march:
20lb wallball + monster mini & light x70 steps —> 20 belt squats —> x10 steps
“ “ x40 steps —> 10 belt squats —> x10
3. Pallof: monster mini x10/3x5 x1 each side

•Hatfield Squats (3x10) (370-425 - 65-75%)
70/120/170/220/270/320x10
(+ belt)
370x10
400x10
425x10

•Farmers carry (10s run starting @50%, adding 5% until fail to go 50 feet in 10s)
(50 feet each weight unless o/w specified)
(+ belt)
205 (down & back around cone to simulate jakked competition - no drops, turn around the cone was a little wonky as the farmers got sideways on my and i had to work on straightening them back out as i was heading towards then other end)
230 right at the 10s mark - honestly my ability to pick the weight up off the ground is whats holding me back right now. My grip strength has plenty left in it and my ability to run the weight is improving. My pick just takes too long because im too weak.

•Pull through (2x20) (box cables)
85x20x2

Ss/

•GHR (3x10)
Vs MM x10x3

Ss/

•Standing ab GHR band crunch (2x50)
Pro Light x50x2

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Honestly with a turn in the farmers run they will always overshoot if you keep turning about as far as you think you need to - you just have to practice turning less than you think so the continued momentum brings the handles basically back in line with the path instead of overshooting it - just turn less next time, essentially.

As for the pick, maybe practice some Farmer’s deads if you can work them in and get a little stronger specifically at that height. Also practice timing preloading hip tension when they start talking so when they yell start or blow the whistle you are already beginning your hip wedge. It’s not jumping unless you actually lift the weight up before the buzzer/command. This is what has been the biggest remedy for Jess since she struggles with this part the most as well - basically start earlier than any less savvy competitors.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2x

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
GPP & recovery day

•dyn stretch
•band march: fit chick yellow band around feet continuous high knee march x2 min
•Sled drag: 70lbx15m
•Treadmill walk: 2.5mph x15m
•facepull: 40x20, 50x20
•hot tub x10m
•cold tub x10m
•hot tub x5m

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly with a turn in the farmers run they will always overshoot if you keep turning about as far as you think you need to - you just have to practice turning less than you think so the continued momentum brings the handles basically back in line with the path instead of overshooting it - just turn less next time, essentially.

As for the pick, maybe practice some Farmer’s deads if you can work them in and get a little stronger specifically at that height. Also practice timing preloading hip tension when they start talking so when they yell start or blow the whistle you are already beginning your hip wedge. It’s not jumping unless you actually lift the weight up before the buzzer/command. This is what has been the biggest remedy for Jess since she struggles with this part the most as well - basically start earlier than any less savvy competitors.
Good tips. I actually saw Pritchett doing that exact technique in their frame run. Thought it was pretty savvy of him, but it looked like he was getting frustrated bc whoever he was running with was taking forever to get set up.

Maybe ill do the farmers DL in place of SG/conv on the weeks where im supposed to work up to a x4/3/2rm since the work capacity days are more specific to the event at the comp anyway.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you are getting some great tips, and the training looks fun and challenging!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah and notice Pritchett was the second best time in the event I believe. Dude can run a frame.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 2 day 1

WU:
Dyn stretch
Rusin Shoulder Series
Band curl: mini x25x2
Band glute march w/ front load: 50bs + pro light x80 steps + 20 squats + 20 steps (50lbs front load only for first 50 and the squats)

•Stubby axle c&p (120x3x8 clean ev rep, EMOM)
20x10 presses
50x10 presses
80x5
(+ belt for belly gains)
100x5
120x3x8 EMOM

•Strict log rack press
110x5
135x3
160x3
180x3+ [email protected]

Ss/

•Rocky PU (5x10) (bw w/o shoes: 248)
Bw x10, 10, 10, 5+ 5 light band assist & fat man, x8+ 2 fat man

Ss/

•Band Fly (3x12)
MMx12x3

•OHD Cable rolling tri ext (3x12)
120x12
130x12x2

Ss/

•Cable Sup Grip curl (3x12)
110x12x3

•Forearm db twists
30lb x20x2

Just more practice with the axle today. Getting some pop off if the belly and racking it in the press position is still pretty funky feeling. Doesnt feel very powerful even at this weight. Ive read in the past that if you are able to clean the weight in axle or log you should be able to get it over head - that definitely isnt the case for me with the log but it sure is feeling like thatll be the case with the axle.

Gonna work some farmers handle DLs tomorrow most likely then may or may not hit my second upper session, which is a rep day, of the training week on Friday.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For men that’s usually true for axle, but log definitely not. And women who are lower body dominant and using lighter weights no change.

But regarding axle, if I can clean it I can press it!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 2 day 2

WU
Dyn stretch
Donnie hang
GHR hip ext w/ 3 ct hold: x10x2
Ss/
Tall kneeling anti ext: Light x10/3x3x3
Glute March: 20lb + light x80 + 20 squats + x20

•Farmers Handle DL
(Weight is total weight between the two handles)
220x5x2
270x5
320x5
370x5
420x4@7
470x4@8
500x4@8
540x4@9 (meant to add 5s to each side but added 10s so ended up at 540 total instead of 520)
460x5x2

•Rev SSB FS (225x3x8 EMOM)
70/120/150/180x5
205x3
(Switched to regular ssb squats, i was being a lazy ass and didnt feel like changing into my olys so i tried fronts without them and it felt like pure **** on my hips so I just switched to backs)
225x3x8

Will do the front foot elevated bw lunges and Meadows Rows tomorrow. Farmers took me an hour and a half. It took me about an hour and a half to get through my WU and the farmers deadlifts. All the loading and unloading + my buddy coming down to shoot the **** twice (first one much longer than the second which was directly before my top set lol) really ate up a great deal of time.