315x5x3

Snatch Grip SLDL
225x8
275x2x8

Unilateral LP
270x3x15

Standing Band Crunches (average)
3x20

Very easy deload session. I'll be switching up the training a bit here pretty soon. I haven't quite nailed down the specifics, but it'll have elements of block with some conjugate in there as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/27

Oly Squat
225x2x5
275x3x2
315x2

Hypers
BWx3x20

I felt pretty rough today, but I really wanted to try the shoes. They feel completely different compared to a Chuck not only with the raised heel, but the platform is as solid as granite. I'll still be using Chuck's for wide stance work, though. I'm very impressed with them so far and will definitely be keeping them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm implementing my new template today with a small issue. I don't have a percentage for front or back squats since I've taken a considerable amount of time away from them. Instead, I'll be using RPE as my gauge so I have some sort of quantifying parameter. I have the first eight week written out and it's pretty basic block periodization with the main movement in a three week wave. The main reason for the three week wave is so I can hit my body from multiple angles, but I also like to change it up. When I feel like I'm doing the same **** over and over is when training becomes mundane.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/28
6-7 RPE

OHP
135x8
145x2x8
24 reps

Pull-ups/Band Facepulls (light)
BWx8/20
BWx7/20
BWx8/20

HS Flat Press
55x3x15

Blast Strap Tri Ex/BB Curls
BWx3x12/85x3x12

RC Work

Used the AdiPower for OHP and it was a different feeling. My weight distribution is different and the groove was different as well. All sets were cut at least 3-4 reps short of failure and the goal was to get in some solid work with a fast pace. Overall, good first day of the new training cycle.

Somewhat random thought: when it comes to meet training, I hate the last month. It's tedious and I've found it very hard to get amped up for training. To counter this, I'm going to try an experiment where I shorten the training cycle from 10 to 6 weeks. The time between will be spent in the 70-80% range with much more focus on rep PRs.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice plan on the training. One of the things I really like about RPEs. You can use that RPE/Percents chart, too on lifts you aren't sure(granted you know yourself pretty well I assume, so may not be necessary).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice plan on the training. One of the things I really like about RPEs. You can use that RPE/Percents chart, too on lifts you aren't sure(granted you know yourself pretty well I assume, so may not be necessary).
The main reason for the RPE instead of a percent is that the weight I'll be doing for main lifts will change quickly as I reacclimate to raw lifts. That and perception is so variable. We've all had days where 135 feels heavy.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The main reason for the RPE instead of a percent is that the weight I'll be doing for main lifts will change quickly as I reacclimate to raw lifts. That and perception is so variable. We've all had days where 135 feels heavy.
Ahh I understand. Good points

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
X2 And at least heavy weights won't be like a shock since you squat heavy as **** in gear
I'm definitely looking forward to having a much smaller weight on my back each week. I'll be walking it out for the most except once I start going beyond 4 wheels. Sleeves will be used the entire time and wraps will be denoted.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The hole will suck for a few to several weeks on your raw squats, then it will be PRs across the board, I have no doubt. How are you going to do your squatting and pulling stances with no equipment?

I can empathize with the feeling blah about training the last few weeks before a meet. I always attributed that to overreaching. Either way, you can't go wrong with rep PRs at 70-80%

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The hole will suck for a few to several weeks on your raw squats, then it will be PRs across the board, I have no doubt. How are you going to do your squatting and pulling stances with no equipment? I can empathize with the feeling blah about training the last few weeks before a meet. I always attributed that to overreaching. Either way, you can't go wrong with rep PRs at 70-80%
Squat will be slightly outside shoulder width to take advantage of the new shoes. Deadlift will still be primarily sumo with some deficits thrown in there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/30

Sumo
315x5
365x4x5

Hack Squat
180x3x10

Snatch Grip SLDL
225x3x10

Band Pallof Press
3x12

I have had absolutely no energy lately during lower body training. Nothing was heavy by any means, which is good, but I need to solve this problem. I'm covered on calories (I'm in a 300-500 surplus) and sleep as well. My guess is adjusting to lowering my doses a couple of weeks ago.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those SG SLDL's had to have sucked. I don't think I've ever done that variant.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those SG SLDL's had to have sucked. I don't think I've ever done that variant.
They're a hell of a lift. I prefer them to standard SG deads since I get more TUT for the upper back and hamstrings with this variation. On that note, I'll likely be adding in some extra upper back work whether it be direct (e.g. shrugs or rows) or indirect (e.g. SSB, snatch grip).

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I started doing those after seeing it in one of the logs around here, but there's no way for me to hold much SG without straps. I need as much upper back work as I can handle

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started doing those after seeing it in one of the logs around here, but there's no way for me to hold much SG without straps. I need as much upper back work as I can handle
225 is about the most I can hold without straps (for reps). The leverage isn't with you on any SG variation and using straps is very common.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8/1

Wide Grip Bench (feet wide and flat)
225x4x5
20 total reps

HS Row (pronated)/Facepulls
135x3x12/3x20

Band Fly (light)
3x20

Cambered Curls/Tate Press
95x3x12/45x3x12

RC work

Doing bench in that fashion was definitely different. It was surprisingly comfortable on the shoulder as well. If anyone wants me to upload my 8 week template, let me know.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would love to see the template when you have time.

Wide feels well on my AC joint.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
image-3917984050.jpg

image-3521560401.jpg

image-233630196.jpg

Nothing overly fancy. It's pretty basic block periodization.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks very well thought out. Nice mix of exercises, symmetry of exercises, unilateral work for the hips, and lastly a nice build from high volume to high intensity :thumbsup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks very well thought out. Nice mix of exercises, symmetry of exercises, unilateral work for the hips, and lastly a nice build from high volume to high intensity :thumbsup:
Thanks, man. I've been jotting down a list of movements that I wanted to work on and made sure to implement them into this template. It's not denoted, but I'll be switching bars frequently on GM and squats for additional stimulus and for fun. I find that I always go back to basic block periodization when I need to rebuild myself and get some momentum rolling before I go for some big lifts.

On week 7 and 8, I may throw in some equipment. It won't be full bore on anything like that since I likely won't fit into my shirt or briefs by then. It's more likely that it'll be just the suit and the Titan Ram. Week 9 will be a deload and a reevaluation on whether to repeat the cycle or take a week for some PRs.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks, man. I've been jotting down a list of movements that I wanted to work on and made sure to implement them into this template. It's not denoted, but I'll be switching bars frequently on GM and squats for additional stimulus and for fun. I find that I always go back to basic block periodization when I need to rebuild myself and get some momentum rolling before I go for some big lifts.

On week 7 and 8, I may throw in some equipment. It won't be full bore on anything like that since I likely won't fit into my shirt or briefs by then. It's more likely that it'll be just the suit and the Titan Ram. Week 9 will be a deload and a reevaluation on whether to repeat the cycle or take a week for some PRs.
Nice. As much as some of the Raw guys seem to be anti-specialty bar I have similar thoughts to you on the fun and throwing in some new stimulus.

That sounds like a good plan.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice. As much as some of the Raw guys seem to be anti-specialty bar I have similar thoughts to you on the fun and throwing in some new stimulus. That sounds like a good plan.
Volume work isn't really that fun so I use rotating bars as a way to keep it somewhat interesting. That and my shoulders will probably enjoy a break.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Volume work isn't really that fun so I use rotating bars as a way to keep it somewhat interesting. That and my shoulders will probably enjoy a break.

I <3 the SSB for this reason, among others

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think spending some quality time with the SSB was a key contributor to my grabbing up some all time bench PRs even after losing 20lbs. It makes the pressing structures happy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think spending some quality time with the SSB was a key contributor to my grabbing up some all time bench PRs even after losing 20lbs. It makes the pressing structures happy.
I definitely need to rebuild some of the meat in the upper back that I lost. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to get some chest mass back as well during this cycle.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I definitely need to rebuild some of the meat in the upper back that I lost. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to get some chest mass back as well during this cycle.
I think it may have built my upper back some, but the main benefit for me was mitigating the trauma to my elbows and shoulders. They felt good almost all the time.

Spending two months without having to work around pain, remember what that feels like? I'd forgotten myself.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it may have built my upper back some, but the main benefit for me was mitigating the trauma to my elbows and shoulders. They felt good almost all the time. Spending two months without having to work around pain, remember what that feels like? I'd forgotten myself.
I'm still working around it a little, but I've been able to implement more lifts. Until I can start dipping with 2-3 plates again, I'm not fully healed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8/3

Squat (Oly shoes)
295x2x3
335x3x3
295x9

Front Squat (Oly shoes)
185x8
225x6
225x8 PR

Rack Pulls
405x3x5
455x5

Walking DB Lunges
40x2x20

Band Crunches (average)
2x20

Today was a much better assessment of the shoes. I'm having to break my gear habits of going so slow on the eccentric, but the groove is fantastic. I usually ****ing suck at front squat to the point where it's embarrassing. I never felt balanced during the lift. With the shoes, however, I felt great and got a nice rebound at the bottom. It's nice to be having fun again in the weight room.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
image-1393703649.jpg

Goal was originally 240, but that may get bumped up to 245ish.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Woo! Hoss. Good front squat reppage, too
Thanks, man.

They went much better than anticipated and am glad I decided to add them to the rotation. Today gave me a good idea as to what I can do with them weight wise and how to implement into the template.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice Rawr squatting Rodja. Very solid

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8/4

Push-press (Oly shoes)
165x6
185x3x6
24 reps

Lat Pulldowns/Band Facepull (monster mini)
220x3x12/3x20

HS Flat Press
80x3x12

Tate Press/Seated DB Curls
35x2x15/35x2x15

Side/Rear Laterals
20x2x20/20x2x20

First time I've done push-press is ages and it took me a moment to get a groove going. I didn't fully nail the technique as I wanted more pop off of the bottom. On a positive note, I was able to go heavier on the HS press and it felt good. I should be able to finally start regaining my lost chest mass.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8/6

Conventional Deads
315x5x5
25 reps

SSB Squat (Oly shoes)
262x6
262x7
262x8

GM
225x2x10

DB Side Bends
70x2x15

I suck at conventional pulls. It's probably been 8 or so months since I really did them and I expected to struggle with the groove. Overall, they weren't too bad, but I need more work on them. Oh, and SSB squats are freaking awful.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like how you wrote 25 reps, is it because you don't think we can multiply?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like how you wrote 25 reps, is it because you don't think we can multiply?
He knows Lou and I can and do multi-ply, but he has his reservations about the rest of you. I thought it was a nice gesture.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
If you don't mind me asking, what're your best all-time raw lifts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wondering, good lifts.
I'd love to get close to those numbers again within the next 10 weeks, but it's not the priority. I'd conservatively expect to be somewhere in the 425/295/515 ballpark by the 10 week period. One difference will be my squat style. This go round is high-bar with Oly shoes. I was previously doing low-bar with Chuck's.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I'd love to get close to those numbers again within the next 10 weeks, but it's not the priority. I'd conservatively expect to be somewhere in the 425/295/515 ballpark by the 10 week period. One difference will be my squat style. This go round is high-bar with Oly shoes. I was previously doing low-bar with Chuck's.
Nice. I have no frame of reference, but I imagine your raw lifts take a hit (for various reasons) during extended bouts of geared lifting. Any chance you'll go raw full time again?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice. I have no frame of reference, but I imagine your raw lifts take a hit (for various reasons) during extended bouts of geared lifting. Any chance you'll go raw full time again?
They definitely take a hit from extended geared training, especially the stabilizer muscles. I highly doubt that I'll transition from gear to raw on a permanent basis.