Jim's Super Soldier Training Log

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not many things test a person like a high rep all out squat set like that. Nice work man

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know you mentioned no PL meets planned just yet, but are comps of any kind like Strongman, etc on ya schedule?
Not right now, but I'm keeping an eye on some local ones. A buddy of mine is the promoter for Static Monsters in Houston on Oct. 26th, and I might try to jump in on that for shits and giggles.

Just 3 events: Max Log C+P, Max 18in. Axle Deadlift, and a Tire Flip/Husafell Medley for speed.

It'll just depend on how training is going and what my schedule looks like over the next month or two.
Not many things test a person like a high rep all out squat set like that. Nice work man
That 20RM squat sucks major ass, and I don't even have anyone to blame for it but myself because I'm the one who planned this **** out!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Monday / Effort Upper

Duff. Bench: work to 231 x 1
Duff. CG Bench: work to 209 x 5

a1. Seated DB OHP: 60 x 8, 8
a2. OH Lat Pull down: 130 x 10, 10

DB Row: 90 x 12, 12

b1. DB Hammer Curl: 35 x 10, 9
b2. DB French Press: 65 x 8, 8

Today / Effort Lower

KSB Oly Squat: work to 345 x 1
GHR: 1 chain x 12, 2 chain x 9, 7
Hack Squat: 240 x 10, 260 x 10, 280 x 10
Add. Machine: 40 x 15, 12
Abd. Machine: 40 x 25, 60 x 15

Notes: legs are cooked, back feels fine. It was hot AF in the gym today, but still got a solid session in.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a quick note on diet:

Cutting out another serving of rice this week. That will be a loss of ~36g carbs each day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thursday AM / Volume Push

a1. Hex Press: 50 x 12, 55 x 12
a2. Band Chest Flyes: Red x 12, 10

Duff. Bench AMRAP: 165 x 13

b1. Cable Upright Row: 104 x 15, 15
b2. Rope Facepull: 40 x 18, 16

KB Lateral Raises*: 26 x 8 -- 5
Band Pushdown: Green x 100
Hoist Incline Press**: 113 x 11+3 -- 76 x 6

*mechanical drop set with the KBs. Held regular way to start and worked to failure, then flipped the bell over onto the forearm and worked to failure.

**11 full reps + 3 partials out of the bottom before doing the single dropset.

Notes: Hot AF in the garage today. Solid workout, and only took ~50 minutes to get it all in. Pump was good.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thursday PM / MI Cardio

Circuit, 2 minutes each with 10 seconds transition time:

Heavy Bag
Jump Rope
TRX Mountain Climbers
Heavy Bag
Jump Rope

Notes: took it a little easier this time because I'm doing legs tomorrow instead of Saturday. Just 10 minutes of continuous work keeping the HR up.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been steady mobbin’, Jim
Things feel like they're moving along really well right now. Fall semester starts on the 19th, so we'll see how that affects my ability to train and recover, but I'm hopeful that I can maintain my current training schedule.

Worst case scenario: I'll pull back on the cardio.

Friday AM / Leg Volume

*Oly Shoes for all exercises*

High Seat Leg Press: 3pps x 13, 11
Duffalo GM*: 99 x 10, 121 x 10
Duffalo Oly Squat**: 198 x 20
45 Deg. Hypers: BW x 20, +25 x 16

*really pushed the range of motion on these for a deep stretch, so the weights were lighter
**full ATG olympic style squats

Notes: this was tough. My legs are cooked. Got back day tomorrow with a friend who's dropping by; I'm not sure he's ready lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Pull

Pull-up Mech. Dropset (WG OH/W NG / C NG/ C UH): BW x 11/5/3/3
Chinese DB Row: 80 x 6, 90 x 6, 6

a1. Vogelpohl Row: 70 x 12, 12
a2. Seated Cable Row: 180 x 10, 10

Catback Lat Pull: White Band x 20, 20
Rope Hoist Shrugs: 166 x 15, 15
EZ Curl: 69 x 13, 10, 8
Hoist Curl 21s: 116 x 7/7/7

Notes: had a friend drop-in for this one, so it took a little longer. Just about 75 minutes or so, but was a good session.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ll have to check that out
Just watched it for the second time. They did a poor job with the chronology, as the way it’s presented keeps jumping back and forth to different eras of the gym, and the other major flaw is a lack of context in some situations, but otherwise it’s really well done. Great shots and interviews, never feels slow and pretty exciting.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just watched it for the second time. They did a poor job with the chronology, as the way it’s presented keeps jumping back and forth to different eras of the gym, and the other major flaw is a lack of context in some situations, but otherwise it’s really well done. Great shots and interviews, never feels slow and pretty exciting.
Yeah, I thought that the first time I watched it. Very pulp fiction-esque.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They released Westside Vs the World on Netflix
Yeah, I finally got around to watching it this Saturday because it was up on Netflix.

I got the download for kickstarter backers, but was never able to find a good way to get it to play on the TV, so I never watched.

I enjoyed the movie.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some nice training and you can really see the improvements on your physique too!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm running a little behind with my updates this week. I've been a bit busy finishing the final week of Japanese courses and getting everything ready for the fall semester that starts on Monday.

Anyway, weight was steady last week and held at 170.2lbs again.

These were the progress pictures from that morning:

received_713923582411356~2.jpeg

received_637063120134521~2.jpeg

The waist looks a bit slimmer to me, and the back looks better, but not a lot happening there.

This week I've cut out another 36g carbs, but added in 20g protein, so we'll see how things shake out.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training updates:

Sunday

35 minutes fast walking

Monday / Effort Upper

CG Bench: 242 x F, F, 231 x 1
WG Bench (max legal): 198 x 5

a1. Standing 1 Arm DB OHP: 50 x 10, 10
a2. Fatbar UH Pull down: 130 x 10, 10

b1. DB Low Inc. Bench: 65 x 12, 12
b2. Hoist Row: 144 x 2--131 x 9, 118 x 12

V-Bar Push down: 104 x 10, 10, 10

Effort Lower

KSB Box Squat: 285 x 1
DL stance hack squats w/ deadstop: 300 x 6, 6, 6
KSB DL Stance GM: 105 x 10, 10
Walking Lunges (dropset): 2 chain x 18--1 chain x 14--BW x 20
GHD Back Raise: BW x 20, +10# x 15

Wednesday

Rest.

Notes: had to call the squats early because I had a twinge in my back coming off the box. Was probably a good call, because I was still able to get in really good work after and don't feel any worse for the wear today.

Scratched the sprints today because I had some homework that I needed to finish before taking a test in ~7 hours.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Push

a1. DB Bench: 80 x 10, 10
a2. Pushups: BW x 10, 8

MG Swiss Bench AMRAP: 176 x 12

Back Facing Hoist SP: 101 x 8, 8
DB Laterals (dropset): 25 x 11, 20 x 7, 15 x 8

Straight Bar Pushdown: 50 x 15, 60 x 12

Notes: finished in ~45 minutes. This was a lot harder than it looks on paper.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Much leaner based on pics, no questions there. Abs are saying peekaboo! Traps looking higher too. How low do you intend to go before starting to add in calories again?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats a good amount of work to get done in 45 minutes and looks like itd have your tris feeling jooocy.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Much leaner based on pics, no questions there. Abs are saying peekaboo! Traps looking higher too. How low do you intend to go before starting to add in calories again?
I'm not sure on weight. Hoping to see the little pouch of fat on the lower stomach go away and lose the love handles before we turn it around, but I'm probably not going to keep it going too much longer either way.

I'm thinking 3-4 more weeks before I start adding food back in and trying to get a real building phase going.

If for no other reason than I'm not 100% sure I can maintain a strict diet as the semester heats up lol.
Thats a good amount of work to get done in 45 minutes and looks like itd have your tris feeling jooocy.
Surprisingly, the pecs seemed to get the worst of it!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Pull

Triangle Pull down: 130 x 12, 9
Bench Low Pulley Row: 120 x 15, 15

TRX Rows: BW x 60seconds
Rev. Hyper Row: 90# x 20
Hoist Shrug: 166 x 10, 10, 10
Hoist Curl: 129 x 12, 9, 7

Notes: wasn't super motivated for this one, but went ahead and did the work anyway. Still got a good workout in, and started feeling pretty good once I got started.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Legs

DB Goblet Squat: work up to 70 x 10
TRX Hammie Curls: BW x 12, 10
Oly Style Leg Press: 3pps x 8, 4pps x 8, 2pps x 18
Duff. Oly Style Front Squat: 187 x 8

Notes: quick one today. Had to get up early and take my final and really wasn't feeling motivated to train at all. Might take a deload next week and reduce the intensity across the board, as it is also the first week of classes for the Fall semester. I guess I'll see how I feel come Monday before I make that call. End of week update coming in after the cheat meal. Bodyweight down to 167.4lbs this morning, just so I don't forget that. Meals are also getting changed up this week to account for the extra hours that I will be awake with my school schedule. I will outline these changes later tonight, as I also have to take a diagnostic LSAT sometime today which takes ~3 hours to complete.

Bleh, someone just shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You got this, just drop your shoulder and power on through!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stay the course, Jim! Consistency and effort towards the major things is the key - don’t get bogged down in the minutiae!
You got this, just drop your shoulder and power on through!
I didn't type that well, I had meant to say dropping intensity across the board just for the week as a deload.

Either way though, y'all are right. I decided to just truck on ahead. Took last night off (no cardio) just to get some time to get all my **** together for school this morning. Hit a full Effort Upper today, and just going to keep on ahead for as long as possible.

Will post the end of week update after work tonight and put the progress pics up and outline the minor dietary changes for the week.

I had originally planned to add the 9th session this week, but I forgot school started this week when I had planned that. Instead, I will add it in next week.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saturday's progress pictures.

Bodyweight was 167.4 at that week's weigh-in.

received_473318326579653.jpeg

received_430170507615059.jpeg

Even my untrained eye can see a difference here.

Dietary changes were relatively small calorie-wise, but I split my 3rd meal to add a 4th meal since I will be awake for more hours each day due to classes. In total, it was a drop of ~20g carbs and ~10g protein.

Current:

Meal 1: 1 egg, 3 egg white, minimal salsa, 1 packet instant oatmeal in water
Meal 2: 2oz pasta, 4oz 93/7 beef, 1 serving pasta sauce
Meal 3: 1/4cup Jasmine Rice, 6oz chicken, half serving curry sauce, peppers+onion
Meal 4: 1/2cup cauliflower rice, 1/2 cup broccoli, 8oz tilapia filets
Post-WO: 12oz skim milk, 2 scoops protein

So yeah, it's a ton of fun.

Supps are the same at the moment. Thinking about adding in some Arimistane and L-Dopa from my supplement cabinet this week.

Heading to bed, planning to hit the legs before class in the AM.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking good, defintiely leaner, no love handles now just obliques.

I did want to recommend you start stretching the chest more and really focusing on rear delt work. You have a bit of upper cross syndrome/rounded shoulders which has led me to some shoulder issues. Might want to get that under control before you get to my age and it causes issues.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shredding up real nice! Vastly improved from first pics

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking good, defintiely leaner, no love handles now just obliques.

I did want to recommend you start stretching the chest more and really focusing on rear delt work. You have a bit of upper cross syndrome/rounded shoulders which has led me to some shoulder issues. Might want to get that under control before you get to my age and it causes issues.
I'll start adding in more RD work each session. I usually do a good job of working them in, but I haven't over the past couple of months.

Monday / ME Upper

CG Swiss Bench: 231 x 1
WG Swiss 1-board Bench: 209 x 5
Tate Press: 40 x 8, 35 x 12

a1. Rocky Pullups: BW x 10, 10
a2. Arnold Press: 45 x 8, 8

EZ Handle Cable Row: 140 x 15 x 2

Tuesday / ME Lower

KSB Comp. Squat: 375 x 1
GHR (2 holes closer than usual): BW x 10, 9
KSB GM: 145 x 6 x 3
Hacks: 300 x 10, 300 x 10--260 x 6--220 x 8 (dropset)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rocky pull-ups?
I’m assuming these are what I saw on Wenning’s IG yesterday or the day before. He put a v bar on a pull up bar and was doing pullups with the frontal plane of his body perpendicular to the bar, alternating which side of the bar his head went to with each rep. I was gonna give em a go on my next pullup day too.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m assuming these are what I saw on Wenning’s IG yesterday or the day before. He put a v bar on a pull up bar and was doing pullups with the frontal plane of his body perpendicular to the bar, alternating which side of the bar his head went to with each rep. I was gonna give em a go on my next pullup day too.
Yep, that's them. I liked them a lot.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday's progress pictures.

Bodyweight was 167.4 at that week's weigh-in.

View attachment 185847

View attachment 185848

Even my untrained eye can see a difference here.

Dietary changes were relatively small calorie-wise, but I split my 3rd meal to add a 4th meal since I will be awake for more hours each day due to classes. In total, it was a drop of ~20g carbs and ~10g protein.

Current:

Meal 1: 1 egg, 3 egg white, minimal salsa, 1 packet instant oatmeal in water
Meal 2: 2oz pasta, 4oz 93/7 beef, 1 serving pasta sauce
Meal 3: 1/4cup Jasmine Rice, 6oz chicken, half serving curry sauce, peppers+onion
Meal 4: 1/2cup cauliflower rice, 1/2 cup broccoli, 8oz tilapia filets
Post-WO: 12oz skim milk, 2 scoops protein

So yeah, it's a ton of fun.

Supps are the same at the moment. Thinking about adding in some Arimistane and L-Dopa from my supplement cabinet this week.

Heading to bed, planning to hit the legs before class in the AM.
Nice work mate, you are really hardening up.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah those aren’t too bad, kinda fun. Been a long time since I bothered with that - usually just getting them in is the challenge!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I do like that close neutral grip with that.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not dead, just busy with school starting up in full swing. I'm supposed to be writing a mini-biography right now, but hit a writer's block, so I'm calling it a night.

Took a mini-deload this week to get acclimated to the new sleep schedule. Still trained, but dropped the second cardio sessions. Planning to hit the full planned schedule this week, though.

Hopefully, the little extra rest did me some good.

Anyway, weekly weigh-in was 166.8lbs.

received_1313321098837767.jpeg

received_389052735139284.jpeg

Thinking this will likely be the last week of the diet. Looking like I will be ~10lbs down from the start, which isn't bad.

This week I will be axing the oatmeal and rice to finish out. Then, I will start reverse dieting.

I did have 3 good volume sessions, but those updates will have to come later. Hopefully tomorrow after the ME Upper.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You definitely have not lost any muscle during this phase, got to love muscle memory. Looking great Jim!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You definitely have not lost any muscle during this phase, got to love muscle memory. Looking great Jim!
This is probably the most successful cut I've ever done, to be honest.

Folks, my schedule right now is fucked. I have been able to squeeze in good AM weight sessions, but have had - quite literally - no time for PM sessions over these past 2 weeks.

I'm hoping to post up the missing updates after work tonight, but I think I will have to revise my training schedule this weekend to meet the goals I have set.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been playing with some training ideas for the next phase of this log, and will outline those when I get home from dinner.

For now, the end of week check-in:

Final weight: 162.6lbs

received_2875866039095013.jpeg
received_1681599665318240.jpeg

This is where I end the cut and head into (what will hopefully be) a maintenance phase for the next 2 or 3 weeks before I start gaining back some of the lost weight.

I have the meals planned out, and will outline what that will look like in this evening's update.

I also just finished what was probably the most disgusting leg workout of this session and am now heading to gorge on sushi.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow man. Very well done. Steady and well thought out with results that speak for themselves.