• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weight: 173.0lbs

Progress:

received_366482147389243.jpeg

received_936758116667014~2.jpeg

Diet Changes:

Cutting out 20g fat each day for this week. Replacing my half pound of 80/20 beef with 85/15 turkey and taking the olive oil out of my tilapia meal.

That will bring me down to ~2400 kcal each day.

Supplements:

No changes. Still using 2 scoops of protein daily and 1 scoop of White Warped before weights. Just a few notes on the Warped below.

Pump: I really do enjoy the pumps with this product. I'm on a mild calorie deficit, but my carbs are relatively high which likely helps. Still pumps are solid. Vascularity is meh, but I'm not very vascular. Perhaps I will have more to add here as I get leaner.

Focus and Energy: Pretty nice little pick-me-up. Usually does a good job of extending out a little ways past the end of the workout, which is good for my schedule. Haven't had any problems with crashes, jitters, nausea, etc.

Strength: Hard to attribute this to a preworkout, but I can say it hasn't hurt my strength. I have been steadily increasing weights on major lifts from week to week.

Taste and Mixability: Mixes fine with just a cup and spoon. Taste is good, but not great. I've tried all 3 flavors. None are knock your socks off good, but they are all drinkable. I haven't decided on a favorite yet, but my wife likes Gummy Worm and Sour Apple better than Strawberry Jellybean.

Attachments

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see you’ve got your posing room set up, Jim
I'll have to get some mirrors on the walls next so I can always see how good I look.

That's actually my living room though; it's just completely empty now that the gym isn't in it. I'll have to consider getting some actual furniture now, I guess.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PM Cardio

20 minute run post-work.

Notes: Nothing too serious. Worked up the HR some, but never so high that I couldn't maintain my breath. Legs are sore, so that was a good time. We'll see if they feel better or worse tomorrow when I hit my effort upper. Thinking Duffalo against bands for that.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Monday / Effort Upper

Duffalo Bench: work to 209 x 1 against reds

Standing OHP: work to 110 x 5

a1. High Inc. DB Bench: 65 x 10, 10
a2. Fat Bar Underhand Pull down: 110 x 12, 12

Hoist Mid Row: 144 x 10, 144 x 10--131 x 6--118 x 7 (dropset)

b1. Dips: BW x 16, 13
b2. EZ Curl: 91 x 8, 69 x 11

Notes: Good session. Tried to go heavier on the bench but couldn't get off the chest. Hit the shoulders heavy and then got a good pump in the chest and back.

Tuesday / Effort Lower

Duffalo Front Squat: work to 308 x 1

ODB Con. DL: work to 330 x 1, 264 x 3, 3

Duffalo GM: 176 x 8, 8

a1. Hypers: BW x 15, +11# x 15
a2. Standing Crunch: 91 x 30, 104 x 30

Leg Press: 4.5pps x 10, 4.5pps x 11--3.5pps x 9--2.5pps x 7 (dropset)

Notes: this leg day was brutal. Trying to work on positioning with the deadlift. Haven't deadlifted in a while, and trying to relearn how. The dropset was gross. Legs are sore today.

Tonight / Cardio

10 x 50 yard sprints

Notes: got a knot in my quad on the last one, but they felt good otherwise. Hopefully that works itself out.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some good sessions you’re getting in.

How do the GMs feel using the Duffalo?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like your body is already responding a little Jim! Good stuff! We need to plan a session some time.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some good sessions you’re getting in.

How do the GMs feel using the Duffalo?
Gratzi.

I like them better than a straight bar. They are easier on the shoulders, and the weight sits a little closer to the hips which makes them feel a little safer (although, likely a bit easier too).

Looks like your body is already responding a little Jim! Good stuff! We need to plan a session some time.
Thanks! Trying to take it slow to start because I am increasing training volume while decreasing food intake, but so far so good. Just say when! I'm actually on PTO all this week from work, so if you want to try to jump in to a session with Beverly and I then basically any day this week would work for us.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Last few workout updates coming in now.

July 18 / Push Volume

a1. DB Hex Press: 50 x 14, 13
a2. Stretcher Push-up (w/ tempo): BW x 7, 6

WG Swiss Bench: 187 x 7 (AMRAP, too heavy)

Seated DB OHP: 50 x 8, 8, 8
Hoist Upright Row: 45 x 15, 54 x 15

b1. CG Swiss Bench: 165 x 10, 8
b2. Fat Bar Pushdown: 116 x 10, 104 x 11

July 19 / Pull Volume

WG Pulldown: 150 x 11, 9

a1. DB Inc. CSR: 60 x 8, 8, 8
a2. TRX Row (w/ hold): BW x 9, 7, 9

Triangle Pulldown (w/ forced stretch): 120 x 12, 8

TRX Upper Back Complex: BW x 7, 5, 5
- T-Pull, Y-Pull, Facepull -
b1. EZ Curl: 80 x 8, 8
b2. Hoist Rope Curl: 66 x 15, 15

July 20 / Volume Legs

Hack Squat (w/ tempo): 260 x 8, 8
GCB Good Morning: 175 x 10 x 3
GCB Squat: 215 x 20

a1. Good Girl Machine: 60 x 8, 50 x 10
a2. Bad Girl Machine: 60 x 8, 50 x 10

That will bring us up to Saturday's end of week update, which will be the next post.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saturday's weigh-in: 171.6lbs

Front:

received_1673469359449970~2.jpeg

Back:

received_2399158326844876~2.jpeg

Really feel like I made some pretty strong progress this past week. Diet changes are small, just cutting out 1 serving of Jasmine Rice in my Meal 2. Starting on Wednesday, I replace the 85/15 Turkey with 93/7 beef.

That may be the last cut I do to my fat, and further manipulation will likely come from carbs.

Training changes are small. Planning to add the PM moderate intensity cardio on Thursday. This week will almost certainly be heavy bag work instead of a run.

Supplement Notes

No changes at this time. Pumps from the Warped are still strong, and seem to be getting better as I continue using. Vascularity has been steadily improving as the weight goes down. Strength has been holding pretty steady, which is nice. Sour Green Apple is just an OK flavor for me, though. I think I may like the strawberry best of the 3. Doesn't give me the same energy boost it used to at 1 scoop, but it gives me enough and it does tend to last for a while after the end of the training session.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sunday PM / Cardio

46 minute unweighted walk. Went 2.90 miles for a pace right around 16:00 miles.

Just trying to stay active, but give the old knees a little bit of a break.

Monday AM / Effort Upper

CG Swiss Bench: work to 220 x 1
MG Swiss Bench: work to 209 x 5

a1. Hoist Inc. Press: 138 x 11, 10
a2. Hoist Row: 137 x 12, 9

Neutral Chins: BW x 8, 7

b1. DB Hammer Curl: 35 x 8, 8
b2. CG EZ Bar Push-up (w/ tempo): BW x 12, 9

Notes: Pretty good day overall. Was pretty happy with the 5RM weight for the midgrip bench today. Got some good assistance in after. Been getting a lot more personal training inquiries since I moved into the garage, which is nice, but I wish it wasn't happening while I was actively training. Squats tomorrow afternoon.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
“Hey man, this a perdy nice setup you gots out here in the g’rage - can I come train with you?? I know we never met but I seen you workin’ out and thought, damn - that could be me! So whaddya say?”

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
“Also, I see you got some space behind those dumbbells over yonder...mind if I store my extra Christmas decorations in here? I figure you got such a big place, you won’t even notice ‘em...”

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
“Hey man, this a perdy nice setup you gots out here in the g’rage - can I come train with you?? I know we never met but I seen you workin’ out and thought, damn - that could be me! So whaddya say?”
Nah, usually just folks stopping to ask if I do any personal training. Which I do, but still. I usually just direct them to the website and tell them to contact me through there.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effort Squat

SSB Squat: work to 310 + 2 chain per side x 1
SSB Squat: 295 x 3 x 3

GHR: BW x 15 x 3
GHD Situp: BW x 12, 8
Walking Lunges: BW x 30

Notes: did something to my back on the squats. Not too worried yet. There wasn't any sharp pain or anything that felt off during any of the exercises. It just sort of locked up on me during the 3x3, so I changed the assistance exercises up. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No running tonight. Back is still a little locked up and sore, but getting better. Might have to adjust training some this week because of it. We'll see how we feel in the morning.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Smart move.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That heavy SSB always worked the crap out of my back to stay upright. Maybe a muscle just locked up on you. Good work Jimbo

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe a brisk walk with arms swinging per McGill’s back therapy recommendations? Maybe 10-20 min around dinner?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smart move.
Yeah. Still a little stiff today, too, but we're getting there. Had to clean my gutters out yesterday afternoon, which probably didn't help a whole lot.
That heavy SSB always worked the crap out of my back to stay upright. Maybe a muscle just locked up on you. Good work Jimbo
That's what I'm hoping. It seems to be loosening up a little each day, so I'm not too concerned just yet. I probably won't do a ME exercise next week, just to be safe.
Maybe a brisk walk with arms swinging per McGill’s back therapy recommendations? Maybe 10-20 min around dinner?
That's the plan tonight. Was supposed to do some bag work, but the torsion doesn't sound like a great idea.

Usually, I would be at work which would help because of all the walking, but I'm on vacation this week and don't go back until Sunday.

I'll likely go for a short walk this evening, as that always seems to help, and then do the same each day this week.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Push

Hoist Flat Press: 151 x 11, 8
Feet-up Axle CG Bench: 165 x 10 (AMRAP)

Hoist Inc. Press (dropset): 126 x 10 -- 101 x 3 -- 76 x 5
Hoist Backwards Shoulder Press: 76 x 8, 88 x 8 x 2

DB Laterals (dropset): 20 x 12 -- 15 x 12 -- 10 x 12

Hoist Tri Pushdown: 129 x 10, 9
CG Push-up: BW x 60sec (27 or 28 reps)

Notes: Got a pretty solid Volume session in just now. Changed the exercises up to keep stress off the back and did some bodyweight hypers throughout the session to help keep it loosened up. Really forced the stretch on the hoist presses, too.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That’s a terrific shoulder press machine!
Yeah, it's a nice piece. It is a 3 way multi press where the bench adjusts for flat, incline, and shoulder press.

PM Cardio

Went for a 25 minute walk a couple of hours ago. Felt fine. Still stiff, but not much pain to speak of. Pull day tomorrow. Will probably have to adjust some exercises to keep stress off the back, but I should be OK to get a good session in.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pull Volume

Chins: BW x 10, 9
MG Swiss Pull down: 140 x 13, 12
1 Arm Hoist Row: 63 x 8 x 3
TRX Row: BW x 20
Band Facepull: green x 25, red x 25
BB Curl: 88 x 5 (drop) 77 x 3, 77 x 8
Seated High Pulley Rope Curl: 40 x 15, 15

Notes: woke up stiff and sore today. Might have slept weird or something. Was still able to get a solid pump session in though. Planning to go for another walk tonight after dinner. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Legs

Quad. Dom. Leg Press w/ tempo: 2.5pps x 15 x 2
45 degree hypers: BW x 8, 12, +26lbs x 12, 12
Walking Lunges: BW x 36, 24
Sissy Squat: BW x 20, 18, 16

Notes: legs got a decent work out, but had to adjust to keep any pressure off my back. Weights on leg press were light, so I made up for it with a long tempo.

End of Week Update

Weight: 174.0lbs ( 2lbs)

received_1559654577503001~2.jpeg

received_467277870496618~2.jpeg

No changes for the upcoming week with diet. My weight increased this week, even on the fewer calories, but I fully expected that because I did not work at all this past week. I go back to work Sunday, so I will adjust diet if necessary next Sunday to keep progressing along.

I don't suspect I will be doing any ME squatting this coming week, so I will likely have 2 volume leg sessions like the one above. We'll see how things feel on Tuesday.

Attachments

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don’t look any worse for being 2 lbs up at all
Thanks! I thought so, too.

Sunday PM

40 minutes fast walking..

Notes: woke up really sore Sunday, and was pretty stiff while at work. Almost didn't do the cardio, but decided not to be a bum and did it anyway. Pace was fast for a walk, but it seemed to help because I woke up feeling pretty good today.

Today / Effort Upper

Feet Up WG Swiss Bench: 220 x reds x 1
Feet Up 1 Board CG Bench: 198 x 5

a1. DB Dec. Bench: 65 x 12, 12, 12
a2. Seated High Pulley Row: 90 x 15, 15, 15

b1. Rope Upright Row (Hoist): 116 x 10, 10
b2. Plate Front Raise: 22 x 20, 20

c1. Rope Curl (Hoist): 104 x 12, 11
c2. BB French Press: 55 x 16, 12

Notes: back felt much better today. Still some tightness and discomfort, especially when twisting, but a huge improvement over yesterday. Legs tomorrow. Won't be squatting, but will probably work some volume on the GHR, Belt Squat, and Lunges. Might hit some tempos on the hack squat, too.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Legs 1

Belt Squat: 1pps x 15, 1.5pps x 15, 2pps x 15, 2.5pps x 15

GHR: BW x 20, 20
Hacks w/ tempo: 160 x 10, 200 x 10
Walking Lunges: BW x 30
--dropset-- 2 chain x 10, 1 chain x 10, BW x 10

Notes: fuuuuuuuuuuck that sucked butt. Finished in ~50 minutes. My quads and glutes are cooked. Back feeling OK today. Probably going to be able to do my sprints tomorrow night. Last set of belt squat was a 15rm.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"Gonna be able to sprint tomorrow"...after THAT the day before? Phew.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Gonna be able to sprint tomorrow"...after THAT the day before? Phew.
You'd be surprised how fast you get used to doing dumb **** like that lol. I originally picked it up when I was in one of Paul Carter's recomp groups, as that's what he always scheduled after legs. Now I actually kind of enjoy it.

PM Cardio

Warm-up: brisk walk, ~5-10 minutes
3 x hill striders
10 x hill sprints*
Cool down: brisk walk, ~10 minutes

*started as a hard run and got progressively faster; sprint up and walk back to the start.

Notes: my back feels back to normal today. I probably still won't push a max squat next week, but have definitely seen major improvement. A little bit of soreness in the quads today. Only got a couple of hours of sleep between yesterday and today because I had contractors doing some work at the house this morning, but still feeling OK. Also, unrelated to training, but I got a 100 on my Japanese midterm that I took last night while waiting for the contractors, which I wasn't really confident about going in.

Last edited:
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Push

a1. Low Inc. DB Bench: 65 x 8, 70 x 8
a2. Low Inc. DB Flyes: 25 x 12, 12

CG Bench (OPB) AMRAP: 165 x 12
Hoist Backfacing Shoulder Press: 88 x 6, 101 x 6, 6

b1. Band Lateral Raise: Reds x 13, 11
b2. Band Rear Delt Flyes: Red x 2--orange x 9, orange x 11

Band Tricep Push down*: Green x 50

*done as a mechanical dropset. Start with a spread push down to failure, immediately switch to easier straight push down until 50 total reps.

Notes: good session today. Slept until 1430 and then straight into the training. Feeling well-rested and strong today. Chest pump was phenomenal, and painful, on those flyes.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thursday PM / MI Cardio

5 minute bag work:5 minute rest
4 minute jump rope:4 minute rest
3 minute shadow box:3 minute rest
2 minute jump rope:2 minute rest
1 minute bag work:1 minute rest

Finito. 5 minutes of bag work was too ambitious.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thursday PM / MI Cardio

5 minute bag work:5 minute rest
4 minute jump rope:4 minute rest
3 minute shadow box:3 minute rest
2 minute jump rope:2 minute rest
1 minute bag work:1 minute rest

Finito. 5 minutes of bag work was too ambitious.
You training to fight Apollo Creed?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That’s cool! The training seems intense
I went into it thinking I would do 3 x 5 minutes of bag work, but I found out very quickly that I am not conditioned for that lol. What I ended up with was much lower intensity.

The alternative was a hard 15-minute run for distance. This would have been way shittier than what I ended up doing.

Going forward, the longest rounds on those types of days will be shadow boxing, because my footwork was incredibly sloppy after ~2-2.5 minutes with the bag.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Pull

Seated Row: 170 x 10, 10
Chins: BW x 9, 8

a1. Hoist Row*: 100 x 12, 125 x 10, 137 x 8
a2. TRX Row: BW x 9, 8, 7

MG Swiss Pulldown: 140 x 10, (dropset) 140 x 10--120 x 8--100 x 7
Hoist Curl: 104 x 12, (dropset) 104 x 12--91 x 6--79 x 5

*Upper back focus w/ lower seat and higher elbows

Notes: pretty good workout today. Got a good pump. Starting to see a little bicep vein wanting to poke out. Cardio last night went well and my back is still feeling normal.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a quick update so I don't forget my weight or anything. Will post a full end-of-week update tonight.

Weight: 170.2lbs

Front:
received_1204230586416758~2.jpeg

Back:
received_409418079701665~2.jpeg

Weight moving in the right direction again now that I'm back to my usual work schedule. Feeling pretty good right now, so we'll see how things shake out over the coming weeks.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volume Legs II

TRX Hammie Curls (w/ pause): BW x 15, 13
Unilateral Leg Press: 3.5plates x 10, 10

Duff. Squat: 209 x 20
Rev. Hyper (no swing): 90 x 12, 12, 12
BSS: +48# x 8, 8

Notes: Going for the 20RM squat was a ballsy call, but I think the right one. Back feels good, and I don't believe I did anything to upset that today. Still feeling pretty strong, even with the weight loss. I'm not sure how well it shows in the pictures but my midsection is getting noticeably slimmer and I'm starting to see some cuts showing up in the quads and arms.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have some kind of target weight range in mind?
Not really. Just going by look and feel. I'm not trying to get bodybuilder lean or anything, but I'm hoping to get pretty lean before I slowly ramp up to try to gain a little more cleanly this time around.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sunday PM / LI Cardio

Warm-up walk
10 minutes slow run (fast jog?)*
2 minute walk
10 minutes slow jog
Cool-down walk

*not like a run but a significantly faster pace than last time.

Notes: This kind of sucked, to be honest. Calves are all pumped now. Ah well, it builds character or something.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I know you mentioned no PL meets planned just yet, but are comps of any kind like Strongman, etc on ya schedule?