Jas's Strongman Training log

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was tlking about your Ledger vid scheme to get reps. Ouch, crickets.
Out of all my crap you found that, damn. Yeah, I liked Ledger and am a Tracy Chapman fan, sorry Ice Cold. Check out my + sign, only me and Tripdog have them, feels good at the top:twisted:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I forgot to read it though.
Basically somebody that worked out at The Good Gym got diagnosed with a bad bug, and The People In Charge of The Good Gym have taken some steps to clean it up, but you might be in trouble*.

*: I think that this MRSA thing doesn't have flu-like symptoms so you might be OK! Well, besides having the flu, that is.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Out of all my crap you found that, damn. Yeah, I liked Ledger and am a Tracy Chapman fan, sorry Ice Cold. Check out my + sign, only me and Tripdog have them, feels good at the top:twisted:

+ sign? what are u talking about?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Basically somebody that worked out at The Good Gym got diagnosed with a bad bug, and The People In Charge of The Good Gym have taken some steps to clean it up, but you might be in trouble*.

*: I think that this MRSA thing doesn't have flu-like symptoms so you might be OK! Well, besides having the flu, that is.
Sh!t you're right. I think I got sick to long after though. I was in there on Friday and got sick on Thurs. night.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Sh!t you're right. I think I got sick to long after though. I was in there on Friday and got sick on Thurs. night.
Well, at least now you have all the time in the world to watch those two Burgener videos and comment on them :)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
+ sign? what are u talking about?
The comp isn't looking good. I'm injured, you're sick, and Mullet has mono. I don't know what the + is, look at the bottom of the main page where all the names are.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thursday

BW - 214.1 :eek:

squat to 14.5'' box:
405-3
435-2
455-1
475-1

3.5'' pinch grip hold with 50 hanging:
right-20s
left-21s
right-26.4s
left-22s

The box was really screwing me up until I started looking up on my last 2 singles. Those felt good and Iwas probably good for 495 at least.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What's up with your pathetic grip. Adrenolin is working his way to pinch gripping 2-100's. Are you all better? 7 or 8 pounds loss isn't bad, you'll gain it back in a week.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, I don't know. I really thought my pinch would improve rapidly, but it sucks :sick: I'm still coughing and talk a little goofy, but besides that I think I'm ok. I'll try my 225 CnJ's in 60s tomorrow so we'll see if my lungs are f-ed up still.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you using chalk? If I don't use chalk 2.5's will slip out of my hands, it makes a big difference. I have nancy boy hands and 35's are not a problem.

If it makes you feel better, I weighed myself today 212, I've lost 20+ pounds in 1 month, probably 7 or 8 are from my left leg.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Are you using chalk? If I don't use chalk 2.5's will slip out of my hands, it makes a big difference. I have nancy boy hands and 35's are not a problem.

If it makes you feel better, I weighed myself today 212, I've lost 20+ pounds in 1 month, probably 7 or 8 are from my left leg.
Do you push your thumb or any fingers agianst your leg/body? If so, that makes it way easier. I do chalk it. I still can't pick up 35's. Can you do 45's?

Damn, 212 that sucks. You have 1 month left in the cast? Did it heal up properly or do you need that extra surgery?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Do you push your thumb or any fingers agianst your leg/body? If so, that makes it way easier. I do chalk it. I still can't pick up 35's. Can you do 45's?

Damn, 212 that sucks. You have 1 month left in the cast? Did it heal up properly or do you need that extra surgery?
At one point I could do the 45's, but only for a few seconds. And no, I don't blatantly cheat myself, Ito. I stand with a wide stance and lift the plates between me legs, only about 3 inches off the ground. Maybe you're making it hard on yourself somehow. Keep trying the 35's, just keep trying to pick em up, eventually you'll be able to raise them off the floor, then I think you'll increase your time/weight rapidly. If you can't do the 35's at all even after a few max attempts, then use the 25's and attach a 10 with a chain through the middle, then a 5, until you can do the 35's, but basically what I'm saying is, go heavy on the pinch grips.

I go back to the doc in 3 weeks and then hopefully the cast comes off. I'm almost positive at this point that I won't need the bolt as the bone has stayed in place but still hasn't calcified to the rest of the bone. Apparently I'm gonna have to take it easy once that cast comes off, due to the nature of the break. Not sure how long it'll be until I'm 100%, trying to get that info from the doc is like pulling teeth.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Fast Twitch Fridays

225 clean n jerk reps in 60s: 8

crucifix hold with 25# DB per hand: 41s
crucifix hold with 20# DB per hand: 41s

pullups: 17

Still kind of sick so I'm keeping my volume low. I was fairly happy with 8 on CnJ considering my lung power doesn't seem to be there. My jerks aren't feeling very strong lately. I have a feeling that my longer wingspan is going to kill me at this crucifix hold event.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
damn man, cnj 225x8 is sick. Have you gotten all that weight back? I know for me it is a B!TCH trying to gain back weight after being sick. I would assume your metabolism is lighting also...

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
damn man, cnj 225x8 is sick. Have you gotten all that weight back? I know for me it is a B!TCH trying to gain back weight after being sick. I would assume your metabolism is lighting also...
Thanks. I don't know where my weight is at but it should be closer to normal. I'll check tomorrow at the gym, but yeah I have a high metabolism so I strip off mass fast without training and eating enough. I've hit 9 on the CnJ and hope to get 10 for my strongman contest in 2 weeks. It almost seems impossible to get much more than 10 though. CnJ's are just too fatiguing. I remember trying 135 for as many reps as possible, and I could never beat 15 even though the weight is really light.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday's Workout (?????)

Carried my 220# keg down from my 2nd floor apartment and then did a 100ft run to my car. I spent the next 10 minutes hacking up stuff and even lightly vomiting. Then I called it a day. Great workout :blink:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday

BW-215.0 WTF

Push Press
225-5
255-3
275-3

dips-15x2

standing military DBs
90s-5

incline:
315-1

3.5'' pinch grip block with 50# attached
right-22s
left-12s

right-29.7s
left-16s

Took it easy on push press. I think that I could have gotten 275 for 5-7, but it bothers one of my elbows. I think I banged my chin at least 3 times on the press portion. I seem to have lost a little incline power, but I think that I will start prioritizing it more.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Monday

BW-215.0 WTF

Push Press
225-5
255-3
275-3

dips-15x2

standing military DBs
90s-5

incline:
315-1

3.5'' pinch grip block with 50# attached
right-22s
left-12s

right-29.7s
left-16s

Took it easy on push press. I think that I could have gotten 275 for 5-7, but it bothers one of my elbows. I think I banged my chin at least 3 times on the press portion. I seem to have lost a little incline power, but I think that I will start prioritizing it more.
After all that other sh*t, your bound to lose some power for inclines. Decent workout, but I liked Sunday's better:twisted:

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
nice power on the pp. i just started doing these because my military press stalled. 275x3... nice!!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

Tues.

BW- 214.2

DL-
500-2

GHRs-20,15

No power off the floor on DL. It was pretty weak. I've been eating a ton and my weight has moved nowhere.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

Tues.

BW- 214.2

DL-
500-2

GHRs-20,15

No power off the floor on DL. It was pretty weak. I've been eating a ton and my weight has moved nowhere.
Are you taking creatine? Try drinking a ton of whole milk :) (j/k, but maybe...)

Anyway, watch those videos. Also, I found an interesting excerpt from Rippetoe:

"Once the clean is learned correctly, with the explosion occurring at the top, and heavier weights are attempted, the bar will have to be accelerated off the floor. In other words, the bar leaves the floor slowly in correct position and then gets faster as it gets higher, culminating in peak velocity at the second pull. So it leaves the floor and immediately gets faster. The slow pull of the floor is only a learning cue, and is not preserved in the final technique. So really, the whole ROM is being trained explosively."

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Are you taking creatine? Try drinking a ton of whole milk :) (j/k, but maybe...)

Anyway, watch those videos. Also, I found an interesting excerpt from Rippetoe:

"Once the clean is learned correctly, with the explosion occurring at the top, and heavier weights are attempted, the bar will have to be accelerated off the floor. In other words, the bar leaves the floor slowly in correct position and then gets faster as it gets higher, culminating in peak velocity at the second pull. So it leaves the floor and immediately gets faster. The slow pull of the floor is only a learning cue, and is not preserved in the final technique. So really, the whole ROM is being trained explosively."
I dropped the creatine for about 5 days when I was sick, but I'm back on it (CM). My weight held steady around 221-223 fro so long that I thought it would come back fast. This is disappointing.

The vids were good and maybe I'll try the Bergener stuff when I get done with contest to improve my form.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs.

CnJ:
225-5 in under 25s (didn't keep track too closely)

crucifix hold with 25# db per hand:
1st round - 41s
2nd round - 31s

Some light snatches to work on form. Improved my starting position quite a bit based on advice from an Oly lifter.

My delts and tris were pretty fried from Monday still so my crucifix times seemed to be effected. I stopped at 5 on CnJ since the contest is only 9 days away.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Have you gained any of the weight back yet? Good luck man.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't know didn't weigh myself because I was at bumper plate central, but my muscles look fuller.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday - Last WO before Saturdays contest

BW - 217.1

220# keg pick ups - 5
-This is practice getting it into the bearhug position. Your quads wear out more if you hold it down in front of you, but you waste 2-3 s (or worse) getting it into position for the bearhug. I'll see where I stand going into to this last event and bearhug (since I'm faster but it's risky) if I really need points. If I have a comfortable lead (not likely), I'll play it safe and hold it down in front of me.

squat to a 14.75'' box (belt + wraps)-
405-1
435-1
455-1

-just light practice singles. I may go 475, 500, 525 for my attempts.

pinch grip with 50# hanging from 3.5'' block
right-25s
left-23s
right-13s
left-17s

I'm terrible at this and I officially hate pinch gripping. I expect to get last or close to.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Pump up vid - Kaz in powerlifting - all raw

More Kaz

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sunday - Last WO before Saturdays contest

BW - 217.1

220# keg pick ups - 5
-This is practice getting it into the bearhug position. Your quads wear out more if you hold it down in front of you, but you waste 2-3 s (or worse) getting it into position for the bearhug. I'll see where I stand going into to this last event and bearhug (since I'm faster but it's risky) if I really need points. If I have a comfortable lead (not likely), I'll play it safe and hold it down in front of me.

squat to a 14.75'' box (belt + wraps)-
405-1
435-1
455-1

-just light practice singles. I may go 475, 500, 525 for my attempts.

pinch grip with 50# hanging from 3.5'' block
right-25s
left-23s
right-13s
left-17s

I'm terrible at this and I officially hate pinch gripping. I expect to get last or close to.
Hobbits, even oversized ones, have never been known for their grip strength. However, you are most likely crafty with a sword, and can whip up a merriment song in no-time flat!

:thumbsup:

Give me a pinch-grip exercise to do, I want to see where I stand; I've always had pretty decent grip.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, which one am I in the pic?

Try putting 2 25# plates (or I guess 10 kg) together with the smooth sides out. Pick it up with one hand until you are standing up with no part of your hand or the weights touching your body. Then start timing it and see how long you can hold it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Elijah "I had consensual sex with Rudy" Wood, of course.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Contest results - I completely Hiroshima'd...

BW - 217 a bad omen

Clean n jerk with 225# for reps in 60s:
9 - 1st place by 3

Squat to a box for max weight:
1st attempt - 475
2nd attempt - 500 - No Go :wtf: (was moving up easy and then I just leaned back too far and fell back)
3rd attempt - to beat out 2 others I tried 510 and failed (overcorrected and leaned forward to far and dumped)

4th place - The strength seemed to be there but I wasn't in the groove on the last two.

Crucifix Hold with 25# DBs per hand - 44s -6th and last place

3.5'' wide Pinch grip with 40#: 32.5s - 2nd :think:

- the event was supposed to be at 50# but most people couldn't even pick it up because the wood (it was a 4x4) was so slick.

Keg carry with 220#er for 160ft - 33 s last again

I was in 3rd going into this one and only 2.5 points out of first (which is fairly close) and decided to bearhug it. I was flying but in the last 20 ft the keg fell forward out of my hands and rolled past the finish line so I had to roll it back and then refinish.

Overall, 5th out of 6th.

Overall, I just had a bad day and the other guys did very well. Congrats to them. This is my 4 contest and for the other 3 I felt that I had done as well as possible so I suppose one of these is inevitable every so often. My one gripe was the crucifix hold. I did the event how the rules were written with my arms straight. Nearly everyone would bend their arms 30 degrees or so and there were no repercussions to it. People hands would drop too low and there were warnings for 10s. I guess I should have done it too.

I'll put up videos eventually. Some will be humorous.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I was lazy and didn't make it out. Sorry, dude. I hope that all the girls didn't run away screaming after such a performance :)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you shoulda cheated too. I hate events like that, they're always slightly unfair. Looks like you have some really sh*tty pinchgrippers up there or people might be exaggerating their pinchgrip strength. You did good in the one out of the 2 event that actually matters. Sucks that you bombed on squats. You probably should've won that competition, in my eyes. Seems like keg carrying should be one of your strong events, and you just fvcked up, Ito/Aleks style. Should've finished 1st or 2nd on Squats and shoulda cheated for a stronger finish on the iron cross. Now you know what to expect and should win a similar event in the future.
Hiroshima'ing video of the year.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it wasn't worth seeing except for the 2 women in the event. One had a torn meniscus and fought like a champ to win. The other was cleanning, leaned way back, took about 5 steps back and tripped over another barbell with the weight landing on her. Ridiculous.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Was the woman injured badly? I'd like to see as much video as possible, at least the squats and c n j's.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No she wasn't. It was horrible and hilarious all at the same time. The organizer let her start over which I thought was BS.

I did something to my upper back along the spine on the left side during my first rep on C n J. I thought it was just an annoying muscle pull that would be stiff and sore for a few days which happens from time to time, but today the bones have been popping some and I'm walking around like a hunchback. Not sure what's up?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
C n J

475 squat

510 squat

The camera cut out on the 500 attempt which sucks because it was probably pretty funny.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I catch my cleans at a lower position than you jas, your shoulders are obviously much proportionately stronger. I just find I need all leg push to get it up there.

Is that where you catch your normal cleans too? Or only so you're in a position for the jerk?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Since time was an issue, I caught in position to jerk right away. With heavier cleans, I try to catch it more on my upper chest but can't really catch it properly in the groove on the delts. I have a problem catching it real low for this reason because it tends to fall forward on me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since time was an issue, I caught in position to jerk right away. With heavier cleans, I try to catch it more on my upper chest but can't really catch it properly in the groove on the delts. I have a problem catching it real low for this reason because it tends to fall forward on me.
I know what you're saying. I've learned to kind of cradle it like a wide-out brings in a pass.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, you have a funny look on your face in that picture. Jas, don't you think you're swooping down a little fast on those squats. I cracked a floater by hunching forward like you did on that failed squat.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Out of curiosity, have you been keeping up with your creatine intake? Also, what did you think of that Incarnate stuff.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mullet, you have a funny look on your face in that picture. Jas, don't you think you're swooping down a little fast on those squats. I cracked a floater by hunching forward like you did on that failed squat.
That's what people who don't double for Osama Bin Laden look like when they smile.

On another note, some working class cat was cheapshotted to the curb in my hometown. An unwitting woman subsequently drove over his head because the bastards left him lying there.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Out of curiosity, have you been keeping up with your creatine intake? Also, what did you think of that Incarnate stuff.
Yep. I think the beta alanine in it was good for endurance strength events so I bought BA in bulk. I don't think there's anything else special about incarnate. I'm curious about cordygen5. It sounds interesting and is cheap.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah probably. I want to revamp my squat form. It seems off and I've been having knee problems.

I found out that I'm the C n J state record holder now.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That's what people who don't double for Osama Bin Laden look like when they smile.

On another note, some working class cat was cheapshotted to the curb in my hometown. An unwitting woman subsequently drove over his head because the bastards left him lying there.
Oh OK, I don't smile, it's the Russian killer in me, except that pic of Mouth forced a little smirk on my face.

That's fvcked up, safe to say the guy died?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yep. I think the beta alanine in it was good for endurance strength events so I bought BA in bulk. I don't think there's anything else special about incarnate. I'm curious about cordygen5. It sounds interesting and is cheap.
I really like C5. It allows me to go up 2 flights of steps without gassing.