Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Are you still taking beta-alenine? I've heard really good things about it so I got myself a tub and plan on trying it out for 2 months or so.
Yeah, I have for about 2 months at least. It seems like good stuff and is cheap in bulk. I'm also taking Drive and RPM right now and am liking it so far.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Brit-thug-banger in the house. I think that pulling into the peg is gonna wear you out quick. I would go with speed bulls with 315 instead. I hope you give them a fair shot though, let us know how it goes. Swank is back, he says shut your fvcking mouth. Is the rope for biceps pre-hab, just the hell of it?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Probably to impress the 15 year old gymnastics girls.
It's the college team, fvckface, and yes it is an excuse to check them out pathetically, but it's more just for fun. I think most of those girls are actually taller than your gf anyway :lol: :stick: I was with 3 other dudes who all pussed out (there's no mats or anything so you basically do the Alexander plunge if you fall.) I think I can go a little faster but I start clamping my legs on the rope so I don't fall after the halfway point which slows me down.

I'll give the speed pulls a chance. What sort of rep scheme? Something like 2x2x2x2x2 with 30s in between. Someone also recommended banded dL so that it's heavier at the top. This seems dumb at first since the top is easy for me, but the logic is that it teaches you to really pull quick at the beginning to get momentum into the heavier part toward the top.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That was fvcked up and hurt me deeply. I may never walk again you sadistic fvck. You're trying to impress chicks by climbing a rope like an 8 year old, using your legs, holy sh*t.

I'd just do 4-5 singles with maybe 275, then work up to maybe 405 and try to maintain speed. 20-30 secs rest between sets is probably good.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday

BW - 221.8

Squat - wraps + belt
455-1
485-1
500-0

-squats felt off all night for some reason. Just no push with the hips.

Box squats sitting on the box for a second or 2:
315-5
345-4
365-3

-I seem to be pretty weak at these so I'll start working on these more to build up hip strength.

Bomb lifts with 3 s lockout:
right-98,108,118 about 3'' off ground
left-98,108,118 almost to lockout
hold with 75
right~19s
left~12s

GHR's-18,12

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW - 222

Push Jerk-
251-3
281-2
301-1 P R (never tried heavy singles)
316-0
316-slipped on my chest on leg drive so I dropped it
311-1 P R

-I got my delts under the bar to transfer the leg drive better on my 311 success which I wasn't doing on my 316 attempts (it was slipping down my chest). I think I can still improve a little more by getting my delts under the bar more.

DB standing military's
90s - 5
95s - 5 fail on 6
100s - 2

dips-31
slow descent-pause-explode up dips - 8

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I forgot about that. I don't get why this forum does that.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs.

BW-219.9

Speed DL
275x1x1x1x1x1
315x1x1x1
345x1x1x1
375x1x1 - too slow so I stopped

2'' crusher pickups
left-135,160,170-6'' off ground
right-135,160,170 fail

holds with 135
left-11.2s
right-11.2s

core stuff

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'd hold it to about 6-8 lifts for speed, but I guess if that's the only thing you really did that day 12 might not be too much.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I thought you might appreciate this.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgOQO5MilfI"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't find the full version, but I can't add that vid without a little Madsen get down.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbXl5Sp-Wc"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That's great. I don't really even remember Madsen. Find more. That's a dude I'd hang out with at the bar just to watch be ridiculous and hiroshima. Who let the dogs out....what was he thinking.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That's great. I don't really even remember Madsen. Find more. That's a dude I'd hang out with at the bar just to watch be ridiculous and hiroshima. Who let the dogs out....what was he thinking.
Damn, I can't believe you don't remember Madsen. I guess you weren't following basketball at the time. He was my favorite athlete/comedian for a good year. He reminds me of a black guy imitating/making fun of a white guy. He's almost too good to be true. I'll try to find a longer clip of him dancing and some footage of him playing which is just as ridiculous. Madsen being the incredible doofus that he is said "Who let the dogs out" because his nickname is Mad Dog. How about the intro he was given, jesus, "this guy tries real hard but completely blows, he does the real players laundry and is pathetic as hell, Mark Madsen."

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I gave on NBA around 97 or something. I remember Madsen by name but little more. I think the other players reactions are priceless. It would have been great if no one responded to his who let the dogs out chant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, their reactions are great. In the full version of the dancing vid their reactions are amazing. The entire team is doubled over laughing their ass off at his dancing. The voice crack on "otra vez" is pretty solid too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't find sh*t for some reason. Here is a little demo of his unrivaled coordination.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhibi0aSAZk"]YouTube - Mark Madsen gets crossed up[/ame]

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That was weak. Here's a Jeff Ross clip from an Emmit Smith roast. It's not best work, but gets kind of funny around the shaq part.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday

BW - 221

800# tire flips - 12

log press-
245-2
275-1
295-0

A little weak on this still. I plan to revamp my routine to help with this.

Atlas stone loads to 52'' platform
series 1 - 230, 265, 290, 330-fail
series 2 - 330 (easy), 380-might have rolled it a little :lol:

keg loads with 245 to 52'' platform
8 reps - 49.3s

-these were really easy with the right technique which I didn't have in my video on p. 1. Lost most time just waiting for it to settle after bouncing around.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, no. I caught 275 really low when I dipped. It was like that Dymas push jerk except not quite as extreme.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, no. I caught 275 really low when I dipped. It was like that Dymas push jerk except not quite as extreme.
Check this guy out:

[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=rhk5l3n6qho"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That's awesome. I can't believe he can do that. Probably wouldn't work with a log, but amazing regardless.

Here's a chick getting a little too low.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday

BW-219.3

Squat to 14.75'' box - pause for 2 s on box
315-3
345-3
365-3
385-3
405-2

Front squats for max speed - launching bar off chest at top (leg drive for log)
225-3
245-3
275-2 landed off center after launch so I racked it

Pullups
wide-18
narrow-14

core work

Hip strength is increasing but still poor.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tuesday

Squat to 14.75'' box - pause for 2 s on box

QUOTE]

Nice, this takes away from the muscle stretch shortening reflex and removes the upward momentum initally following the eccentric movement when you first squat down. That's a true muscle driven squat right there. Wow, good stuff.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I feel like I bounce too much out of the bottom and sometimes lose control so I want to build up the strength in my hips to allow me to get to around 550 on squat. Hopefully this will help give me some power off the floor on DL as well.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I feel like I bounce too much out of the bottom and sometimes lose control so I want to build up the strength in my hips to allow me to get to around 550 on squat. Hopefully this will help give me some power off the floor on DL as well.
How do paused box squats differ from resting the bar on the safety bars at the bottom for 2 seconds?

Edit: in terms of what you're trying to accomplish.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How do paused box squats differ from resting the bar on the safety bars at the bottom for 2 seconds?

Edit: in terms of what you're trying to accomplish.
I don't like the idea of using the racks as far as squatting strength goes. When squatting to a box you have to keep your entire upper body tight, only your lower loosens up and then you fire your hips to get the bar moving. When using the racks you're relaxing the whole body and then flexing the whole body to get the bar moving. I think the racks might be beneficial to a deadlift, but not so much the squat. For what Jas is trying to accomplish I think he's going about it the right way.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It's a good thing you blow at these, because that's a clear indication that it's a weakness and that these should help you a lot. I don't know if you were pushing it or not, but I can probably 2sec pause box squat 90-95% of what I can reg box squat or reg squat without box. Keep doing these.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I don't like the idea of using the racks as far as squatting strength goes. When squatting to a box you have to keep your entire upper body tight, only your lower loosens up and then you fire your hips to get the bar moving. When using the racks you're relaxing the whole body and then flexing the whole body to get the bar moving. I think the racks might be beneficial to a deadlift, but not so much the squat. For what Jas is trying to accomplish I think he's going about it the right way.
Good call. Sounds like I'll try those instead of what I did in the rack.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I really need to improve my DL because that's an event at my next contest. Here's what I'll be doing or am thinking right now.

week 1 - DL from 4'' box 455-3
week 2 - '' 475-3
week 3 - DL from 2'' box 495-3
week 4 - '' 515-3
week 5 - reg DL 535-3
week 6 - heavy single

doing stiffy's from a 4'' box each week as well. This was recommended to me by reputable source to overcome my power off the floor weakness.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's a good thing you blow at these, because that's a clear indication that it's a weakness and that these should help you a lot. I don't know if you were pushing it or not, but I can probably 2sec pause box squat 90-95% of what I can reg box squat or reg squat without box. Keep doing these.
I should also mention that I wasn't really rolling my hips to activate them on the box. As far as pushing myself, I could maybe do a little more, but they are coming up really slowly so I think I'm close to the limit. I could have probably gotten a third rep at 405, but they tweak my lower back a bit so I'm trying to hold back slightly.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

Standing military
205-4 fail on 5 but close
215-1 fail on 2 but close

-this is really disappointing, my speed off my chest still blows.

standing military from a rack at nose height-
210-3
220-1

dips
BW-5
BW+45-5
BW+90-belt broke

incline
295-2 help on 3

dips - 20 at BW

Pretty pathetic day.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

Standing military
205-4 fail on 5 but close
215-1 fail on 2 but close

-this is really disappointing, my speed off my chest still blows.

standing military from a rack at nose height-
210-3
220-1

dips
BW-5
BW+45-5
BW+90-belt broke

incline
295-2 help on 3

dips - 20 at BW

Pretty pathetic day.
Can't win em all champ, what is wrong with me. I was attempting to lift weights yesterday and I was doing some cable rows and the cord snapped. It's really not meant to be.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love standing military (power press). I'm doing them more in the strength range then the velocity/power range. The only two people I've seen doing standing military are Lou Ferrigno on Pumping Iron, and Latimer on some old football movie.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I love standing military (power press). I'm doing them more in the strength range then the velocity/power range. The only two people I've seen doing standing military are Lou Ferrigno on Pumping Iron, and Latimer on some old football movie.
A lot of strongman do it since there's always an overhead pressing event at contests. Latimer in the Program :head: Cheesy movie but I love it for some reason.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of strongman do it since there's always an overhead pressing event at contests. Latimer in the Program :head: Cheesy movie but I love it for some reason.
haha, thats right, The Program.

I've always been curious to know how it feels to do an official clean and jerk, but my gym only permits moderate intensity cleans at best. I did try and go heavy on the cleans before, but since we don't have bumper weights, I knew I couldn't just drop the weigh with a failed attempt. I cleaned it, caught it, but my legs were burnt out at this point and i knew I couldn't just drop the weight, so I watched myself in slow motion drop forward with the weight, then a fast forward slam onto my knees when my legs collapsed. That's the last time I did any "heavy" power movements without the proper environment/equipment.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
haha, thats right, The Program.

I've always been curious to know how it feels to do an official clean and jerk, but my gym only permits moderate intensity cleans at best. I did try and go heavy on the cleans before, but since we don't have bumper weights, I knew I couldn't just drop the weigh with a failed attempt. I cleaned it, caught it, but my legs were burnt out at this point and i knew I couldn't just drop the weight, so I watched myself in slow motion drop forward with the weight, then a fast forward slam onto my knees when my legs collapsed. That's the last time I did any "heavy" power movements without the proper environment/equipment.

Haha, ouch that sounds painful. I'm lucky to have a place with bumper plates but my University is trying to rid of them for insurance reasons.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thursday

BW-220.8

DL
535-1 fairly easy
545-0 got twisted or something one side was higher than the other

Stiff legged DL from a 4'' box
315-5
365-5

BO rows - touch at sternum
225-10
275-5

I'm pretty happy with my 535 pull. I seem to have only one heavy single in me per week, but I think 545 should be reconquered next week.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday - strongman

BW-222.5

Trained with 2 pros today, John and Schoony.

800# tire flips-12

log press with 8''er-
225-3
275-1
305-0x3 - 1st one was very close and I might have gotten it if I had cleaned it more easily.

I was doing my reps push jerk style, and Schoony (who's log pressed 400+ in practice and set axle press records with 411X4 (I think)) said he didn't like the dip because it was cheating. :lol:

Farmer's walk
170 per hand - 200ft with 1 turn
220 per hand - 200ft with 1 turn
310 per hand - pick up (messed up my hand playing dodgeball at a beer olympics event the previous night so I didn't hold it - yes I know that is ridiculous)

A few 245 keg loads - just messing around

Atlas Stones
series 1 -225, 265, 290, 330 to my knees but nothing left
second round - 330

Very fun day. John and Schoony have been in strongman for about 10 years I think and have great stories. Schoony's one of the biggest dudes I've seen at 6' 2'' and a solid 320.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday

BW-221.3

Squat - 2s paused box squats (14.75'' box)
365-3
395-3
415-2

Front Squat done for speed at top-
225-3
275-3

GHRs-20

core work

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great man, your strongman workouts are pretty tight. It's very unique and an interesting log to follow.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man.

Wed.

Some extra stats:
BW-219.9
Height-72.1''
BP-126/66

standing military-
215-3

rack standing military with bar at top of forehead height-
225-3
245-2
255-1

Seated DB military press with DBs perpendicular to shoulder line-
100s-4

-I was surprised that these are a little harder than with hands the standard way, but I guess the DBs are out in front of you more

DB incline-
100s-14

Better day of pressing than I've been having lately. Pretty happy with it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
congrats on the bp? I don't give a fvck about your blood pressure, jesus. Actually I do, mine is high. 135/70 when they took me teeth out. This bloody inactivity aint helping, bloke.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
congrats on the bp? I don't give a fvck about your blood pressure, jesus. Actually I do, mine is high. 135/70 when they took me teeth out. This bloody inactivity aint helping, bloke.
Mine is always like 150/80 when they use a machine and the cuff is made for a 9-13'' arm. Finally this lady did it by hand and used a big cuff. Of course, your arms have probably atrophied to the 9-13'' range. :twisted:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mine is always like 150/80 when they use a machine and the cuff is made for a 9-13'' arm. Finally this lady did it by hand and used a big cuff. Of course, your arms have probably atrophied to the 9-13'' range. :twisted:
The bigger you are too, you might naturally have a higher blood pressure; the hearts got to pump more out.