Is It Harmless to Do Cardio Every Morning, Moderately?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am completely detrained...nearly 39 years old, 5'8.5", about 200 lbs, 30% bodyfat.

It is winter here; so, I want to slowly get back into shape, time allowing.

1. I already know the order of priority:

a. Diet
b. Resistance Training
c. Formal Cardio
d. NEAT (Walking around at work)

2. Right now, I just want to start with walking 7x a week on the treadmill. Realistically, I will be tired or busy, so it probably will be 5x a week, 30-60 minutes each time.

Is there anything wrong or detrimental with that?

3. I know many traditional lifters speak about cardio being detrimental. But, that interference seems untrue at moderate levels.

But, that usually is for being like established powerlifters and bodybuilders trying to do marathon training. In their case, it does not work.

4. Any specific cardio routines people like?

I like:

Bill Philips 20 Minute HIIT (chiefly based on onr minute each at 60-70-80-90%), extended to longer, if needed.
90 Seconds rest, 30 seconds sprint; repeat for 30 minutes
90 Seconds Spring, 30 seconds rest, repeat for 30 minutes

5. Any other suggestions?

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do 30-45 mins of cardio Monday through Friday and swap between steady state and higher intensity but never high intensity. Just listen to your body. If you are feeling sore, maybe just do 30 mins at a low incline and walk.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It will hinder muscle gains to some degree..
But above 40 to 45..it's kinda essential for one's overall health..
I used to hate cardio..but at 57..it's helps combat many things..
Z...

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
No it will not hinder your progress. Personally, I think the whole cardio will hinder progress is way overblown. Yes, if you are running 10 miles a day and trying to squat 500 pounds there is some merit to this. BUT for most people not competing it’s not going to hinder you and may in fact help you because you can bring up your conditioning.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I don’t do any cardio. I don’t have the time. I train hard 4x a week and average 8000 steps a day and when I cut try to hit as close to 10000 steps everyday at work. I used to run 3-5 miles 3x a week because I enjoyed it, but my daily steps were much lower. I don’t honestly believe that either scenario really affects my strength training. Even when bulking I still keep my steps at 7-8000 a day and can put on weight.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bill Phillips..
Now that's a Name I haven't heard in awhile..
Z...

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
First, I'd say if you are completely detrained then just do what you can and no need to set a goal like 7 days per week if you already don't think you'll meet that. Set something reasonable then build as you get more into the swing of things.

Especially coming in not doing much (or anything) I would not worry about any detrimental effects at all.

Idk if I'd start with intervals if I was completely untrained, but honestly just do what sounds motivating at this point and dial in things that are potentially more ideal once you are in a routine. No need to overthink it if you aren't even doing anything already.

It will hinder muscle gains to some degree..
But above 40 to 45..it's kinda essential for one's overall health..
I used to hate cardio..but at 57..it's helps combat many things..
Z...
Cardio will be great for people at all ages for health.

It won't hinder his gains. This is so overblown I don't know when people became so scared.

No it will not hinder your progress. Personally, I think the whole cardio will hinder progress is way overblown. Yes, if you are running 10 miles a day and trying to squat 500 pounds there is some merit to this. BUT for most people not competing it’s not going to hinder you and may in fact help you because you can bring up your conditioning.
Honestly it is kind of annoying.

While I understand it is probably just a bit of a misunderstanding or from misinformation, but most of the time I hear this from dudes who are no where near strong enough nor doing enough cardio for it to be an actual worry.

Most of the time it just comes off to me as sounding lazy, making excuses, or honestly people act all tough but are a afraid of a little discomfort from cardio. 🙃

Most people are going to see benefit from doing it far before they'll see any detrimental effects. Maybe if you are an actual athlete, but even then doing cardio and being in specific types of shape is a balancing act that must be done, you can't avoid doing it you just need to know how to approach it smartly.

/soapbox

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm a Hardgainer...ecto..!!
Used to run 5 and 10k's..Bicycled across GA twice..I have a nice mile PR..one on the bike too..and 30 yrs of MA's..various arts..

When I decided late in life to finally try and put on some size..
The very first thing that really helped..
Cutting everything that was burning cals..
At 5k calories a day..
.I wasn't gaining an ounce.

So..for me
I had to find the equation that worked for Me..
Youth is a huge factor...at 40,42 I returned to a regiment of effective cardio to fit my goals..
At 57...cardio is a lifesaver...but the intensity isn't nearly what it once was..
About ten yes ago, I thought I'd see just how cardio strong I still was..

On a stationary bike I decided to see just how hard I could push it..Hitting 180 heart rate was difficult enough, but sustaining it..
Not too long..I felt it for two days..

My overall point..
Finding what works for You..takes time..
Z...

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I'm a Hardgainer...ecto..!!
Used to run 5 and 10k's..Bicycled across GA twice..I have a nice mile PR..one on the bike too..and 30 yrs of MA's..various arts..

When I decided late in life to finally try and put on some size..
The very first thing that really helped..
Cutting everything that was burning cals..
At 5k calories a day..
.I wasn't gaining an ounce.

So..for me
I had to find the equation that worked for Me..
Youth is a huge factor...at 40,42 I returned to a regiment of effective cardio to fit my goals..
At 57...cardio is a lifesaver...but the intensity isn't nearly what it once was..
About ten yes ago, I thought I'd see just how cardio strong I still was..

On a stationary bike I decided to see just how hard I could push it..Hitting 180 heart rate was difficult enough, but sustaining it..
Not too long..I felt it for two days..

My overall point..
Finding what works for You..takes time..
Z...
That is true. I may never been buff muscle man. But, I have always looked long and lanky, when I do lots of cardio. After about 40, I think that may actually be okay.

I can see why lots of cardio is physically and mentally healthy.