Fasted cardio and BCAA or EAA

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Is consuming either BCAA or EAA during fasted cardio negate what I’m trying to accomplish by doing fasted cardio?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It may negate staying in ketosis, if you are on a keto diet. It may (will) break your intermittent fast, if that is part of what you are trying to accomplish. It may cause a slight insulin response, if that is something you are trying to avoid.

What are you trying to accomplish?

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m trying to diet my fast ass down to 15%ish bf. Started over 30% have dropped a lot of weight but have been dieting since May. 2000-2500cal a day. If it is a workout out day 2 carb containing meals. If non-workout day one carb containing meal. I am also taking a GDA 750 berberine and 250 chromium.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
While it might break your fast, I would have to assume that those 10 -15 calories will be burnt up almost immediately and you would be back in a fasted state in a matter of a few minutes

kira1357

Awards
While it might break your fast, I would have to assume that those 10 -15 calories will be burnt up almost immediately and you would be back in a fasted state in a matter of a few minutes
^^ Also I think the evidence that fasted cardio has a significantly better effect than non-fasted is iffy. I'd rather get an extra 15 minutes of solid work out of the fact that I don't feel like i'm about to pass out. Except maybe if you're taking yohimbine or something else that requires being fasted

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
^^ Also I think the evidence that fasted cardio has a significantly better effect than non-fasted is iffy. I'd rather get an extra 15 minutes of solid work out of the fact that I don't feel like i'm about to pass out. Except maybe if you're taking yohimbine or something else that requires being fasted
I know what the studies say, but If you have regularly done fed cardio and switch to fasted, I gurentee you might not see more weight loss, but you will see more fat loss.

Fasted cardio is going to improve Insulin sensitivity better then fed cardio putting you in a position to loose more fat in the long haul. So it's more of a indirect effect then a direct effect.

Is it a massive difference, definitely not. But in a game where people are quick to jump on drugs to make a extra 5% progress, Why not use a little diet manipulation even if it's only 1-2% difference

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
... switch to fasted, I gurentee you might not see more weight loss, but you will see more fat loss.

Fasted cardio is going to improve Insulin sensitivity
I agree, 100%

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m trying to diet my fast ass down to 15%ish bf. Started over 30% have dropped a lot of weight but have been dieting since May. 2000-2500cal a day. If it is a workout out day 2 carb containing meals. If non-workout day one carb containing meal. I am also taking a GDA 750 berberine and 250 chromium.
Here are a few well intended, free, general comments. I must point out - you know what they say about "free" things, right? They are almost always worth exactly what you paid for them. With that in mind ...
  • Track your BMI (for me, I did not care for the initial results)
  • Measure Waist to Hip Ratio (see parenthetical note above)
  • Track Macros on something like MyFitnessPal
  • For me, eliminate processed foods, eliminate added sugar, target carbs at 25 to 30 grams of fiberous carbs (track net carbs)
  • Determine baseline caloric requirements - then cut back by about 500 calories
  • If doing low intensity cardio - target 60 minutes or more for steady state - for fat burning. Generally, the initial cardio should burn glucose, after that it dips into fat.
  • Do not eat for an hour after waking (Huberman)
  • Do not eat 3 hours before bed (Huberman)
  • Consider an 18/6 IF schedule
  • Consider adding supplements (allegedly) having antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, blood glucose lowering and insulin enhancing properties.
I am no expert, just a well intended dude. I realize that you didn't ask for any of these suggestions (however well intended they may be), so please disregard them if they are not helpful, you are already doing them, you are doing alternatives, you do not agree with them, or you think they are idiotic.

And, most of all, good luck.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It may negate staying in ketosis, if you are on a keto diet. It may (will) break your intermittent fast, if that is part of what you are trying to accomplish. It may cause a slight insulin response, if that is something you are trying to avoid.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Ya this is the starting point, depending on why will matter.

In this situation I really don't think it would matter that much. I am assuming you are doing the cardio in the morning then just eating after?

Ya you aren't going to get any extra benefit with fasted cardio. There may be some psychological reasons and for certain preferences, but it isn't going to be much of a factor at the end of the day.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If fasted cardio makes you tired or sick feeling I definitely would opt for cardio after a small meal
Agreed. I use to do fasted cardio but then I just got sick of waking up and going right into cardio so I typically will do walks throughout the day and then about 3-4 times a week do a more steady state cardio session on the treadmill or bike.