Awards
  • Established
Discuss , thanks

Benefit?

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Hey I read this post and remembered an article I read in runner's worl on this, after scraambling around a bit to see if I could find the article I remembered they have a website.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-241-285--12810-0,00.html

It's very interesting read, here's the first paragraph
Cryotherapy ("cold therapy") constricts blood vessels and decreases metabolic activity, which reduces swelling and tissue breakdown. Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body. "Ice baths don't only suppress inflammation, but help to flush harmful metabolic debris out of your muscles," says David Terry, M.D., an ultrarunner who has finished both the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run and the Wasatch Front 100-Mile Endurance Run 10 consecutive times.

Me? I'm not sure I'd ever do it, I live in a humid tropical island that has two seasons, pre-summer and summer, I don't dig the cold and whine like a baby if the heater goes dead.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I've never done the ice bath but I do ice my shoulders and elbows down after workouts to reduce swelling.

bigbumpkin

Awards
  • Established
it does work I have a bad knee and after lifting ice and then wear compression hose to bed it forces the bad crap out and reduces swelling if I dont do it I pay the price the next day!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Discuss , thanks

Benefit?
It's not an "ice bath", but I've gone back to doing a hot/cold shower after most training sessions to help me with recovery - since it used to help a lot when I was cycling.

~Rosie~

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinkin of trying this, rosie explain the hot cold shower a lil pls

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinkin of trying this, rosie explain the hot cold shower a lil pls
When I was cycling, at the end of every day after my final training session I would do the cold bath/hot shower - the bath and shower, because I filled the bath with cold water (as cold as possible) deep enough to sit in and cover my legs, and then went from that to the shower. Sat in the cold bath for ~2 minutes and then into the shower with the water as hot as I could stand it for ~20 seconds, and then back into the cold bath, to repeat the process 2-3 times. This helped me with my recovery, and actually made me feel better (not so much on the winter mornings when I was sitting in water that felt like ice, LOL, but you know what I mean). Now I do a modified version with the hot first, and finish off with cold water with every shower.

You can find literature on this method of recovery aid if you search for it.

Bear in mind that I was training intensely for 4-8 hours a day, sometimes more, with 2-3 training sessions a day, and I wouldn't say that this is something that one should do after just weight training - if your training is intense and prolonged, highly anaerobic, and a mix of both cardio/weights, then yes, but not if just lifting weight for an hour or so.

~Rosie~

vein5

Awards
after training legs I would be sore so sore the next day that I could barley walk. I tried everything and the only thing that helped was swimming in a cold pool for 10 minutes. Explains alot now

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lot of colleges use ice bath's following games (basketball, football, soccer), especially when the spacing between games isn't very far apart.

I participated in a study this past summer looking at the effects of an ice bath on performance, measures of DOMS, and active ROMS.

1st thursday: 7 x 1200m (control)
Next day: 5k for time

2nd thursday: 7 x 1200m (12 min ice bath, 50 degrees, wirlpool jets)
next day: 5k for time

There wasn't much difference in my 5k time, but I felt a substantial difference in soreness (less) and a greater active ROM the day following the ice bath.

Good stuff, I take them now every so often after a hard lower body or sprint session

Br

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
I've used contrast showers in the past (hot/cold mixture sorta like Rosie). I didn't see as good results from that as when I just started taking cold showers. I will search for the article, but I read about cold showers being better than contrast showers somewhere. Started trying them and have been a believer ever since.

Here's what I do:

1. Start the shower on medium (I find I can't get in if I start full blast cold). Relax for 1 minute in medium water.

2. Decrease the temperature slightly (this is when I begin to wash my hair).

3. Decrease the temperature slightly again (body wash time).

4. Decrease the temperature slightly again. At this point the water should be very cold, but maybe not quite as cold as it can be. I focus the water on the muscles I've worked. I rotate these muscles for about two minutes.

Has helped me immensely with recovery. Also wakes you up big time.

Dandelo

Awards
Contrast showers are a very effective recovery method that I use at least twice a week. Starting with 3 minutes hot water to draw the blood and waste products from the muscle. Then switching to cold for 1 minute to flush fresh blood into the muscle. I always do these in a fed state, typically 15-30 minutes after a meal or an amino drink with some carbs, glutamine, taurine, inositol, creatine, citrulline, and Bcaa. This is a great way to recover after a heavy session, typically 4-6 hours after training.( I do not usually wait that long though) It is also great on off days to shuttle nutrients to muscle without causing microtrauma like light "feeder" workouts may cause. The body will adapt to the contrast showers, so always vary the duration at different temperatures and always end with cold. Don't forget your head and genitals! Combine with Ems on off days for optimal natural recovery.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
You know i read a book that actually talks about iced cold baths and cold showers really help fat burning too. Something like water is a better temp conducter than air. And shivering uses calories also your body heating itself up by "BTU's". Also that there is two types of Fat cells; WAT (white adipose tissue) and BAT (Brown adipose tisssue). The BAT is a fat that helps release WAT through the blood and use it for energy.

Well anyone hear this?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sort of..but not quite. Haha.

BAT is very common in hibernating animals,.

BAT is common in new borns and children, but is nearly non-existant in adults except in a few places - between the scapula, predominantly.

BAT contains specialized mitochondria. Where as mitochondria in every other cell in the body produce energy and heat as a biproduct, these mitochondria do not produce energy, but only heat.

On the other hand, there is a slightly greater shift toward fat oxidization in the cold, where as in the heat, especially in dehydrated heat, there is a greater usage of CHO for energy. One of the reasons why wearing a plastic sweat suit is counter productive to decreasing body fat.

Br

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
I used to do ice baths for shin splints at the training academy I attended. Completely eliminated all pain and swelling.

The trainers put some kind of blue chemical in the H2O that allowed the water to be below freezing, but kept the water moving. VERY painful he first couple of minutes, then complete numbness!!

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Have yet to try an ice bath,want to.
I've been doing contrast showers and they do help alot 1min cold,1-2min hot do this a couple x's feels like it helps with doms.
Have a trainer now and took a week of from lifting and i can imagine how i would feel if i didn't strecth and do a contrast and foam roller after every training session.
Thinking about getting a big tub for like horses to drink out of for ice baths(stand up showers in home)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What about HSP? This is what I read.
Studies show that a consistent approach to resistance training can induce favorable changes in heat-shock proteins and from what I read a hot bath or jacuzzi would do the trick. The Hsp’s are important as they protect cell integrity during stressful situations such the presence of excessive free radicals (that damage cells and promote aging). In particular, Hsp is thought to play a role in the muscle regeneration process.

So which would be better a cold bath or a hot bath.?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Had my first ice bath after my tempo run w/o.
Wasn't as bad as i thought it would be i actually liked it.
BUT!it sucks once you get out until you get a hot shower around 30-45min later.
I don't think i've been so cold in my LIFE!!!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about HSP? This is what I read.
Studies show that a consistent approach to resistance training can induce favorable changes in heat-shock proteins and from what I read a hot bath or jacuzzi would do the trick. The Hsp’s are important as they protect cell integrity during stressful situations such the presence of excessive free radicals (that damage cells and promote aging). In particular, Hsp is thought to play a role in the muscle regeneration process.

So which would be better a cold bath or a hot bath.?
These proteins are generally activated during intense exercise due to the heat generated.

Here's what I suggest.

Ice after training to facilitate venous return, prevent fluid pooling, and control inflammation.

Heating, stretching/massaging, cooling - in that order - on off days to improve blood flow, promote nutrient exchange, then reduce inflammation.

Br

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
wow, sounds like a big ****ing waste of time to me

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
You wouldn't believe how much it helps.
no soreness after or next day.
just the cold part sucks for 1/2hr

Nman

Nman

Awards
I haven't done an ice bath since college but it was the only way I could make it through 2 a days (actually more like 3 a days). I know there's been a lot of research for and against ice baths but my personal experience is it helps!

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Really interesting stuff here.

Does anybody think a pool is cold enough to do the trick post workout?

I saw somebody used a pool but it can't be as cold an as ice pack. Think I'm gunna try the pool next week.

Nman

Nman

Awards
Really interesting stuff here.

Does anybody think a pool is cold enough to do the trick post workout?

I saw somebody used a pool but it can't be as cold an as ice pack. Think I'm gunna try the pool next week.
After an all day hike last year all we had was a pool and it helped. Wasn't as effective for me as an ice bath but it definitely helped.

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
There are advantages to contrast showers and cold baths apart from muscle recovery. Cold water immersion and cold showers will activate the blue spot of the brain (Locus coeruleus) which is the primary epicenter for most norepinephrine nerve endings. During certain physiological stresses to include cold water, norepinephrine is released from this area into the brain and body. I believe norepi. is the most bioactive metabolic agent in terms of fat and glucose usage. Interestingly, many conditions such as Alzheimers show a severe degradation of the nerves to the locus coeruleus. I remember reading that many centenarians claim cold showers/baths and or contrast showers are one of the primary reasons for their longevity. Of course this is anecdotal and there aren't any studies backing it up. Just food for thought. I know after a contrast bath I get a physical and psychological high for 30 minutes or so.