i hate my biceps, how can i train them to get that tennis ball look?

gyno4445

Awards
my biceps are spread out and from a back shot of flexing they hardly stand up
i see guys at the gym with their biceps in a tennis ball shape
and i envy them, how can i train my biceps to stand up more instead of having football biceps that are spread out

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
Its mostly genetics, so it won't be easy to obtain the "tennis ball" shape.

A couple suggestions:

1) Do more concentration exercises, i.e. Preacher Curls with an EZ Bar or Dumbbell Concentration Curls (using the inside of your thigh as a brace for your elbow).

2) Make sure you are squeezing and holding for 1-2 seconds at the top of each rep. Don't swing the weights or move your upper arms to assist your lifts.

3) Do cable curls. Vary handles and angles. Go slow during negative portion of rep.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Your biceps will be best activated by heavy, HEAVY compound movements, such as: rows, chin ups, power cleans, bench press and military press. Growth hormone is most effectively released when doing multi joint movements that incorporate a large amount of muscles in your body being used. The Bicep curls accentuate the bicep . They are not a primary mass builder. Read any of Renegaderow's threads on bulking. They should help you.

Genetics do come into play, but everyone has the genetic potential to gain some muscle. It takes the proper stimulus, training rest and diet- and if Gyno does all of this correctly, he can eventually have some amazing arms! :thumbsup:

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
While I agree with your analysis Wifey, adding mass to his arms was not what he asked about. He inquired about obtaining a "tennis ball" shape to his bicep as opposed to a "football" shape. I happen to have experience with this, and I have increased my peak considerably using the techniques I describe above.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can add some shape to your bi's by doing some of your bicep exercise pronated. The extra curl to the end of your bicep exercise adds shape to them.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2) Make sure you are squeezing and holding for 1-2 seconds at the top of each rep. Don't swing the weights or move your upper arms to assist your lifts.
QFT!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
stop posting and answer your PMs :)

Continue on.

CROWLER

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's mostly genetic. Look at Arnold's bicep's when he was sixteen they have the same shape they do now. After training for two -three years your shape will always look that way,unless you do site injections or synthol. anyone and I mean any-one, unless you have genetics like Woody Allen,can get bigger, shape is determined by genetics, mostly.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
While I agree with your analysis Wifey, adding mass to his arms was not what he asked about. He inquired about obtaining a "tennis ball" shape to his bicep as opposed to a "football" shape. I happen to have experience with this, and I have increased my peak considerably using the techniques I describe above.

okay, I suppose I just like guys to have big arms. :D

You are right, Deezy, my advice should apply more to those who don't just want a tennis ball shape, but those who are wanting to gain size and who want a round friggin' melon for a bicep instead of a football.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i like the square lookin bicepts.... on me... not on other ppl.....:ntome:

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I feel fortunate (and think you should too) that my biceps are so long. This gives us so much more room for growth that once you do have the size you need, your arms will appear so much more massive than they could have if the bicep connected further away from the elbow (which helps yield the balled-up look). It will take you longer to achieve the really impressive biceps you want, but you have much more potential in the end result.

My calves are the exact opposite though... and used to be the bane of my physique... they are improving, but half my leg is un-growable as they connect so high up my very long leg.

Enjoy your genetics.