Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That’s impressive benching from the pins. I find that to be really challenging.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on your pr's and your wife's great performance. True power couple!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/13/22
BW 243.8

6 min walk

Reverse Hyper
90 2x15

Band Pullaparts, Pressdown, Facepulls, Rows

Dynamic Bench
45x15
+doubled minibands
45,95x3,3,3
135 4x3 comp grip
185 4x3 mid grip 1-board

SSB JM Press
65x12
155x8
205 2x10

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30x15,12,12

Hammercurls
30 2x20

Things have been draining lately, both good & bad; very glad I skipped Monday for this deload week.

Heavy is the head who wears the crown.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks; it really is very different with no eccentric to store energy. I really enjoyed getting to use a close grip without my elbow issue being a problem too!
I like doing this with my shoulder press, I set the pin just about 1/4 inch higher then where I would start to feel pain on a normal shoulder barbell press. It's literally the only way I can do a barbell shoulder press without fucking myself up

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/13/22
BW 243.8

6 min walk

Reverse Hyper
90 2x15

Band Pullaparts, Pressdown, Facepulls, Rows

Dynamic Bench
45x15
+doubled minibands
45,95x3,3,3
135 4x3 comp grip
185 4x3 mid grip 1-board

SSB JM Press
65x12
155x8
205 2x10

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30x15,12,12

Hammercurls
30 2x20

Things have been draining lately, both good & bad; very glad I skipped Monday for this deload week.

Heavy is the head who wears the crown.
A well timed deload should help you come back refreshed, and helps hedge off injuries.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/14/22

6 min cycle
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Glute Bridges

GHR
2x12

SSB Boxsquat
65x5
vs average bands (~130 top)
65,155x3
205,245x2
275 10x2 60 sec rests

Conventional, deadlift bar
45,135x5
225,315x1
345 10x1 20 sec rests

Reverse Hyper
90x15
125 3x10

alt/ Rolling Thunder 1-Arm Deadlift
+25,50,75x1
100 miss on left hand
85x1
90x3

GHR
2x12

This was a really good session: felt like I had good endurance and kicked some ass!

First time playing with Grip Genie’s rolling thunder knockoff and it’s just as fun as I expected. By no means a staple, but if your grip is a weakness like mine & you want a new toy it’s worth the price tag. Not sure how heavy my loading pin is; it was a gift from Chad when he moved away.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
4/14/22

6 min cycle
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Glute Bridges

GHR
2x12

SSB Boxsquat
65x5
vs average bands (~130 top)
65,155x3
205,245x2
275 10x2 60 sec rests

Conventional, deadlift bar
45,135x5
225,315x1
345 10x1 20 sec rests

Reverse Hyper
90x15
125 3x10

alt/ Rolling Thunder 1-Arm Deadlift
+25,50,75x1
100 miss on left hand
85x1
90x3

GHR
2x12

This was a really good session: felt like I had good endurance and kicked some ass!

First time playing with Grip Genie’s rolling thunder knockoff and it’s just as fun as I expected. By no means a staple, but if your grip is a weakness like mine & you want a new toy it’s worth the price tag. Not sure how heavy my loading pin is; it was a gift from Chad when he moved away.

your one armed deads is going to motivate me to start bringing back one legged deads. My issues aren't the grip strength, just a ten year old injury that leads to one leg doing 90% of the work on the squats and pulls. nice session!

do you have a percentage of 1rm that you work from for box squats?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can you post a pic of this rolling thunder in action?
IMG_6310.JPG

My Grip Genie Rolling Grip Thingy is nicer than the Ironmind Rolling Thunder pictured here, but same thing.

your one armed deads is going to motivate me to start bringing back one legged deads. My issues aren't the grip strength, just a ten year old injury that leads to one leg doing 90% of the work on the squats and pulls. nice session!

do you have a percentage of 1rm that you work from for box squats?
50% of most recent barbell max, with band tension at top ideally in the neighborhood of 20-30%.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session @Hyde!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What’s the caliber on that handle? That’s fire.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is some Grip !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some updates:
-Been cruising 8 weeks. Still taking 180 test e, 120 primo e, some carnitine, 10mg GW0742 & 5mg Ezetimibe
-Turkesterone just ran out; switched to 5-6 caps of Ecdysterone daily
-Dropped the preWO 10mg Pregnenolone; it was preventing orgasms despite otherwise great sexual function
-Transitioning training to a Westside-style Conjugate approach for the moment
-Knee has been feeling great

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/16/22

Reverse Hyper
125 2x10

6 min walk
Cable Pressdown, Rows, Extensions
Plate Rear Delt Flyes

Incline CG 2-Board Press
45x lots
135,185,235,275,295,300x1 PR

Seated Overhead Rack Lockouts
~ top 5”
225,275,315,325x1 PR

Slight Incline NG DB Press
50,60,70x25

Incline Tate Press
50,55x10
60x7 PR

Reverse Pec Deck
60,120x6
170x13,12,11+4 PR

V-Grip Cable Tricep Pressdown
38x100

Got this one in a day early to make time for visiting family today - Happy Easter all! I think I’m going to switch Max Effort upper to Wednesday mornings and make the weekend my Dynamic pressing, but this went well enough. Might try to push the Tate Press/Williams Extensions one more week; really loving them. Somehow still progressing the reverse Pec deck after like 3 months

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice litany of PRs!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/18/22

6 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Back Extensions
2x20

Mid-shin Rackpulls
(pin #3)
135,225,315x1
+hookgrip
405x1
+belt & straps
475,525,550x1 PR

Hi-bar Squats, beltless
45,135,225,275,295,315x5

Ran out of time but going to get some accessories done later in the garage & will update this.

Rackpulls at this height are just as hard or harder than pulling from the floor for me, so to casually pull 550 on a sleepy Monday morning with a bit more in the tank is a great sign things are heading in the right direction.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Strong pulls…..I feel you on those rack pulls. My deadlift sticking point is just below the knees, and when I start rackpulls around that point they definitely feel harder or just as hard as full deadlifts. I used to think it was mental, but I firmly believe it’s because starting at the sticking point, being the weak point, is just physically harder.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Strong pulls…..I feel you on those rack pulls. My deadlift sticking point is just below the knees, and when I start rackpulls around that point they definitely feel harder or just as hard as full deadlifts. I used to think it was mental, but I firmly believe it’s because starting at the sticking point, being the weak point, is just physically harder.
That was my sticky point as well. So then I was programmed double paused deads (2 sec pause 2” off floor and another 2 second pause at base of patella) for 4 weeks . I wanted to die, but it was no longer the sticking point.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That was my sticky point as well. So then I was programmed double paused deads (2 sec pause 2” off floor and another 2 second pause at base of patella) for 4 weeks . I wanted to die, but it was no longer the sticking point.
Cool thanks, I’ll give that torture a try. 👍🤣

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree starting from the weak point on a rack pull is ridiculously hard. Work is looking great and congrats on the knee doing well!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work! Looks like that cruise dose is tits.
Kinda feels like I can kind of make some slow & steady progress, like when you are still natty but earlier on in lifting before you start peaking out. Not like when you are blasting & the drugs can drive the progress either, just like I have the ability to slowly work on my baseline again

I agree starting from the weak point on a rack pull is ridiculously hard. Work is looking great and congrats on the knee doing well!
Honestly the knee being happy is the greatest thing; that injury directly influenced my decision to try primo instead of Masteron this cruise, and turkesterone, and it feels like those efforts have been worthwhile.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A recipe for vomit pulls!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Powerful !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the kind words all!

Looking yoked with that manvest, makes me want to go chop firewood and gut a fish.
You know I once heard stereotypical powerlifters described (relative to bodybuilders) as being more akin to mammoths - slabs of muscle covered under a heavy layer of bodyfat & coat of fur

Just took my blood pressure, fasted & after 150mg of caffeine:

IMG_6326.JPG

This is on no blood pressure medication, no cardio, 300mg of AAS weekly at 245lbs bodyweight. Pretty happy with this.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking nice and thick, rocking the "Bear" look well! Impressive vitals there, lets not overlook the pulse at 52 either, it is obvious you are putting in work where it is needed to stay healthy, not just impressive.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

You know I once heard stereotypical powerlifters described (relative to bodybuilders) as being more akin to mammoths - slabs of muscle covered under a heavy layer of bodyfat & coat of fur

I'm hesitant to ask because I haven't followed your logs enough years, and power lifters have very different goals than bodybuilders, but have you ever done a major cut (like sub 10%) or do you ever plan to? the way your stacked it just looks like you'd hold a LOT of lean mass in a cut. huge traps and biceps and your midsection doesn't get a beer gut pooch so I imagine a cut would damn near put you on small local stages fairly easily. (something I always thought I wanted to do until I realized that there was so much dancing and underwear involved. )

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
lets see, you're about 31 this year? you stay healthy and you still have years of mass development IMO. I'm 40 this year and I feel like I actually put on mass as easy if not easier now. Cutting is harder, but mass development is easier and strength gains are about the same as they were 10 years ago, I just require more rest and shorter sessions in the gym.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's some pretty darn good BP !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm hesitant to ask because I haven't followed your logs enough years, and power lifters have very different goals than bodybuilders, but have you ever done a major cut (like sub 10%) or do you ever plan to? the way your stacked it just looks like you'd hold a LOT of lean mass in a cut. huge traps and biceps and your midsection doesn't get a beer gut pooch so I imagine a cut would damn near put you on small local stages fairly easily. (something I always thought I wanted to do until I realized that there was so much dancing and underwear involved. )
No never been lean, not even as low as 15% I’d guess. I don’t think I’d ever get down sub-10% because I’d never care enough to suffer that much to do a prep; I’d be totally satisfied before 10% even.

That being said, if I’m 25% bf now I would need to get down to about 205lbs to get down to 10% even - while blasting hard for near complete lean tissue preservation.

To me, I would just look unacceptably tiny

lets see, you're about 31 this year?
Yeah currently 31

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday ended up having to work on the road instead of home like usual, and had to watch my son solo all evening, so accessories I missed in the morning were done tonight over about 25 minutes:

Reverse Hyper
125 4x12

alt w/ Gripper Work
Warmup x10
#2 x8
#3 x1 attempt
#2 2x10

GHR

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gotta get em in when you can. Kiddos can make training erratic. Looks like you are managing just fine.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

View attachment 215377

This is on no blood pressure medication, no cardio, 300mg of AAS weekly at 245lbs bodyweight. Pretty happy with this.
Sweet. But how is your pulse only 52 dude? You sure that’s right? Mine would be closer to 90 or so with that jolt of caffeine. Paradoxical reaction.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No never been lean, not even as low as 15% I’d guess. I don’t think I’d ever get down sub-10% because I’d never care enough to suffer that much to do a prep; I’d be totally satisfied before 10% even.

That being said, if I’m 25% bf now I would need to get down to about 205lbs to get down to 10% even - while blasting hard for near complete lean tissue preservation.

To me, I would just look unacceptably tiny

Yeah currently 31
You're not wrong. sub 10% I stop wearing shirts in public lol. but I definitely look 50lbs heavier just adding 10lbs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet. But how is your pulse only 52 dude? You sure that’s right? Mine would be closer to 90 or so with that jolt of caffeine. Paradoxical reaction.
The second reading it might have been 54 or 57 (I always take 2 reading a minute apart for an average).

I am always mindful to relax myself when I take my blood pressure, so there could possibly be a reduction via mental control? I make sure to calm the waters, but also not hit a real meditative state (I want accurate feedback after all).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ordered a blood draw in a couple weeks for CMP, CBC, Lipids, & TSH for only $57. Ulta Lab Tests is my new favorite online bloodwork provider; can’t beat them on pricing for non-comprehensive/ala carte panels. If I didn’t want TSH I could have ordered it all for $48!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ordered a blood draw in a couple weeks for CMP, CBC, Lipids, & TSH for only $57. Ulta Lab Tests is my new favorite online bloodwork provider; can’t beat them on pricing for non-comprehensive/ala carte panels. If I didn’t want TSH I could have ordered it all for $48!
I’ll be checking those guys out in a few weeks

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The second reading it might have been 54 or 57 (I always take 2 reading a minute apart for an average).

I am always mindful to relax myself when I take my blood pressure, so there could possibly be a reduction via mental control? I make sure to calm the waters, but also not hit a real meditative state (I want accurate feedback after all).
Silly question ? How do they draw the blood ?