Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
55x30 is death even when your head is fully completely in it so good work there.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Weight x reps x sets.

Butttt if you go 2x30 @ X weight you did two sets of 30. Basically, for me, the first “x” always precedes the number of reps that were done. That was what I decided id follow after this debate popped up again a year or two ago.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Weight x reps x sets.

Butttt if you go 2x30 @ X weight you did two sets of 30. Basically, for me, the first “x” always precedes the number of reps that were done. That was what I decided id follow after this debate popped up again a year or two ago.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Weight x reps x sets.

This is the way.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/29/20 - Wk5, Deadlift
BW 243.4

Bird dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges w/ hip circle, Hip Stretch, Fatman Rows
x2 circuits

Deadlift, stiffbar
45x10
135x5/1 conv/sumo
225x4/1
315,375,425x1/1
465x3 conv
465,485x3 sumo
505x1 sumo *hammie started to pull*

Had to shut it down; outside bottom of left hamstring started to pull at the same spot as before the meet peaking cycle, back in October. Since today was the last micro before a deload & sumo has been so easy I wanted to add a little weight - 505 is only ~85% and everything was flying, but them’s the breaks.

Going to have bloods drawn Monday morning, so that will put squat off til next Tuesday and give me 6 days to recover. And I will probably do straight sets instead of an AMRAP as well as keep my stance closer. Then deload week.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Somebody has to!
Those finnicky unconventionals be trifling!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Somebody has to!
Those finnicky unconventionals be trifling!
Yeah it’s not like the weight was heavy or I’m juiced up or pushing anything in any way with deads - sumo just must be hard on my hammies. I have not written them off forever; I think there’s potential to pull more than conventional for me. BUT for now I need a break from them to recover, and probably need to focus on bringing up my overall hamstring strength in light of this as soon as I can.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah it’s not like the weight was heavy or I’m juiced up or pushing anything in any way with deads - sumo just must be hard on my hammies. I have not written them off forever; I think there’s potential to pull more than conventional for me. BUT for now I need a break from them to recover, and probably need to focus on bringing up my overall hamstring strength in light of this as soon as I can.
I feel you - my lateral hammies and glutes are full of knots after sumo pulls.

When is your next competition?

If your goal is to explore your sumo potential, perhaps some high volume low intensity work might stimulate the hammy adaptations you need?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel you - my lateral hammies and glutes are full of knots after sumo pulls.

When is your next competition?

If your goal is to explore your sumo potential, perhaps some high volume low intensity work might stimulate the hammy adaptations you need?
Looking to compete approximately around the end of June. I’ll have to decide in about 2 months if I want to compete in wraps for the first time or take them back off and do the 12 week prep in sleeves.

I have actually already been doing that - the sumo Blockpulls each week are only ~60% for sets of 12. Perhaps even lower intensity/higher volume could be in order.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The muscle on the lateral part of your hamstring is the biceps femoris - It also is aids in external rotation of the lower leg so I wonder if maybe bringing the angle of your feet in a tad may help with it. Could be worth trying as long as it doesnt interfere with you getting your hips into a good position.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The muscle on the lateral part of your hamstring is the biceps femoris - It also is aids in external rotation of the lower leg so I wonder if maybe bringing the angle of your feet in a tad may help with it. Could be worth trying as long as it doesnt interfere with you getting your hips into a good position.
Great advice. I actually was focusing on turning them out a tad more - naturally my desire sumo stance is like the Ed Coan hybrid, fairly narrow and toes relatively close, not more than 45* turned out. Will go back to that whenever I touch it again.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/31/20 - Wk5, Bench
BW 244.0

Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Hammercurls
50/50/15 2x30

Medball Throws
2x5

Bench
45 2x5
135x5
185,225x3
265x1
290 4x2, 1x4

CG Incline 2board Press
185 2x15

DB Side Raises
15,25x8
35 2x12

DB Rear Raises
30x14,13

TRX Fatman Rows
2x12

Pull-ups, Chin-ups
13/13

Hammercurls
40 2x14

Back Extensions
BW 2x20

Great session for the final microcycle before deloading - pushed hard and made little improvements everywhere. Went up 5lbs on bench, incline, laterals and added a rep to sides, chins, and hammers. Got just a bit of stretching and bloodflow into the hammy too.

Getting bloodwork Monday, so Squat will be Tuesday, OHP on Wednesday, then deload begins next Friday.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Will begin logging BLR’s Anabolic Stack (Follidrone, Viron, & Vector) starting Monday if you care to follow:

Hyde’s BLR Anabolic Stack Log

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff, hope that hammy squares itself away. Maybe get a deep tissue and have them focus there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/04/20 - Wk5, Squat

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, BSS, TRX Rows, Shoulder Stretch
x2 circuits

Squat
45 2x5
135,185,225,275,325x3
365x2
395x1
425x3
+wraps
425 3x3, 1x5

No problems with my hamstring squatting in sleeves or wraps, so the rest did me good.

Today was just brutal - the heaviest squatting 425 has ever felt, and it took every ounce of energy over 2 hours to finish all my wrapped squats, also only making 5 reps on my 5th Set. Last week I hit 420x8, for comparison. Everything just felt 10% heavier. Anyway, I completed 0 accessories and will have to make some up tomorrow or Friday.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Got bloodwork in: holy cannoli. I cannot believe how much my dietary and supplement changes have positively affected my values.

Hematocrit back down to 48.6 (was 50.9)

EGFR is back up to 81 (70)

Creatinine down to 120 (135)

Liver all in range again

Triglycerides down to 53 (115)

HDL up to 49 (24)

LDL down to 102 (194)

Blood values all in middle of the range, LH & FSH returned to normal off-cycle levels, but the most awesome thing:

Total Test: 1,065ng/dL (last off-cycle was 514)

Estradiol 57.8 (was 60.3 last off-cycle)

The test levels are truly monstrous; I was 600s at 20 before ever touching a steroid and have never seen endogenous levels like this over the top of high normal range ever, even when pulling blood while on a SERM (and I have been done with Nolva for 2 full weeks). My estrogen is typically 40-60 off cycle so 57 with double my normal test is on the low side for me, ratio-wise.

Aside from only being 2 weeks removed from Nolva, which is obviously still elevating things some but not a new variable, the main new contributors I believe that allowed me to reach these levels were 2-3 tabs of Diesel Test Procycle V3 about 3 days per week (12-18mg of DHEA & same for Pregnenolone, and 2-4mg boron), 9-12mg NOW boron taken daily the last so many months, 50-100mg zinc the last 3 months fighting that sinus infection, a 20mg cap of DHEA taken before bed 2-4 nights per week, and Exemestane at 12.5mg 1-2x weekly tops while taking the DHEA stuff.

No other new variables were at play that could have affected test (high dose Vit C couldn’t be doing anything). I did eat more mono-unsaturated fats (but not as high fats overall) and eating more fruits and veggies. Bodyfat hasn’t even gone down. Pretty profound. I have dropped the DTP, exem, NOW boron, and little DHEA caps as of Saturday now that I’m on the BLR stack.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sweet, awesome news on the renal function. Still donno what that transient dip was from but it doesn’t necessarily matter either. Ive never seen a creatinine value in the hundred scale, it’s usually like 0.5-1.1 reference range, but you’ll naturally have a # higher relative to the mean for the reference range just given your degree of muscle mass.

I dont remember if you were doing daily nolva or not but something to consider is that the half life of Nolva is 5-7 days and in general a drug isnt considered out of your system until approximately 5 half lives. I aint saying those other measures didnt play a role, but I’d just be hesitant to try and attribute the changes to those when we know that you definitely have some nolva working its way out still. Given you said “obviously still elevating things” im getting the feeling you kinda knew this but i dont know just figured id throw it out there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet, awesome news on the renal function. Still donno what that transient dip was from but it doesn’t necessarily matter either. Ive never seen a creatinine value in the hundred scale, it’s usually like 0.5-1.1 reference range, but you’ll naturally have a # higher relative to the mean for the reference range just given your degree of muscle mass.

I dont remember if you were doing daily nolva or not but something to consider is that the half life of Nolva is 5-7 days and in general a drug isnt considered out of your system until approximately 5 half lives. I aint saying those other measures didnt play a role, but I’d just be hesitant to try and attribute the changes to those when we know that you definitely have some nolva working its way out still. Given you said “obviously still elevating things” im getting the feeling you kinda knew this but i dont know just figured id throw it out there.
No it most definitely absolutely is still working to elevate - but I often have SERM in my system when drawing off-cycle bloods. Not 550ng/dL MORE total test than last time; I have never pulled a level over 830 off-cycle at any point.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That blood work is looking legit!!! Congrats!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome!

So, pretty much boron and DHEA FTW?
Well, if we are extrapolating purely from my personal experience I would guess it was:

50-100mg daily zinc, 12-15mg boron per morning, a daily average of 20mg DHEA and 10mg Pregnenolone, and 12.5mg Aromasin 1-2x/week. And there was some varying amounts of cheap-ass Longjack in there from bulk or DTP, but that was very sparsely administered randomly.

Bottle of Viron, bottle of 25mg DHEA tabs, 50mg zinc tabs, AI as needed.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/05/20 - Wk5, OHP 5’s
BW 246.6

Cable Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, DB Hammercurls circuit
50/50/15 2x30 each

BB Strictpress
45,65,95,115,140,160,180x5

Neutral Grip Incline DB Press
30x15
60 2x30

BB Row
135,185x10
235,265x12

BB Skullcrushers
45,65x10
80 2x10

BB Shrugs
265,295x15

BB Calf Raises
125 5x10

DB Rows
110 2x15

Cable One-Arm Tricep Pressdown
35 2x25/arm overhand
30 2x25/arm underhand

Miniband Pullaparts
5x30 with 60 sec rests

Didn’t want to get up or get it done, but performance today was solid. All of today combined was decidedly easier than just the heavy squats yesterday - I have had DOMS in my entire thighs already starting last night.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know youre a big Dante fan. He’s got a 50% off sale going if youre interested in anything he has on his site.

(I tried to post another picture but its doing the error thing again - i think i figured out that if its a cropped image it gives you the error but if its full size as taken it’ll work).

& sounds like that deload came at a good time.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know youre a big Dante fan. He’s got a 50% off sale going if youre interested in anything he has on his site.

& sounds like that deload came at a good time.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out for those kind of prices.

Yeah it’s effectively began today and I am pretty glad at this point. Fatigue appears to be catching up. Traveling for a funeral Saturday then work Sunday-Thursday so it’s an ideal time.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/07/20 - Wk6, Deadlift Deload
BW 247.0

SSB 2” Hi Box Squat
62,152,202,242x6
282 2x12
-2” foam mat, parallel
282x12

Above-knee Rackpulls
135,225,315x5
385 3x15 adding a 1/2” mat every set

Beltless SLDL
300 3x5

Back Extensions
+60 4x15

Pulldown Abs
80,100,110x25

Light Band Standing Hamstring Curls
2x30 sec isometric hold/leg
1x30 reps/leg

Avoided things like beltsquat and GHR that would greatly tax my hammy & instead focused on more volume in partial ROM. I could feel it on even 135 deadlifts so I pulled my deload weights straight-legged with zero issue. Glad I could do the curls at the end without pain now!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/08/20 - Wk6, Bench Deload
BW 244.8.

2x warmup circuits

Bench
45,95,135x5
175 3x5

1-Board Press
180 2x12

DB Side Raises
15,25x10
30 2x20

DB Rear Raises
15x12
30 2x15

Pulldowns
120x12
150x10
170x8

Pull-ups
1x13

Did my Monday bench deload today since I’ll be traveling for work Sunday for half the week. Forgot my chin-ups and curls in the rush to get everything done before we had to leave, but I can make them up in the hotel.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/11/20 - Wk6, Deload Accessories

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Fatman Rows, Band Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, DB Hammercurls
2x circuits for core/warmup

NG Pull-ups, Chin-ups
8, 12

Skullcrushers on Cable Tower
45,65x10
85 2x12

DB Hammercurls
40 2x15

One-Arm Cable Tricep Extensions
35 2x25/arm overhand, then underhand

Monster band Pullaparts
5x30, 45 sec rests

Still traveling for work; hit some accessories in the hotel gym this morning before work. Biggest guy in the fitness center right here

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@245 and 5'10 it wouldn't be a stretch for you to be one of the biggest guys in a globo gym at any point either.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats a complement if ive ever heard one. We all know it made you blush.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I had a coworker refer to me as “Beefy McCheesesteak” last night
Nice you shoud have a T-Shirt made! Front says "My friends call me" and the back “Beefy McCheesesteak”
Thats a complement if ive ever heard one. We all know it made you blush.
Right! That's good stuff. My close friends just called me "Beef" for a couple years, I secretly loved it! The they would do the old Wendy's "Where's the Beef?" jokes and be like he's over there...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice you shoud have a T-Shirt made! Front says "My friends call me" and the back “Beefy McCheesesteak”

Right! That's good stuff. My close friends just called me "Beef" for a couple years, I secretly loved it! The they would do the old Wendy's "Where's the Beef?" jokes and be like he's over there...
This made me really laugh

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/14/20 - Wk6, Deload Squat
BW247.5

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges x2

Squat
45 2x5
135,225x5
275 3x5

Frontsquat
225 3x8

GHR
5x10

Trunk was iced shut from snow last 2 days and overnight windchill at -11 so I squat barefoot and beltless since it was a deload anyway. We got new Rogue GHRs at the gym so I tested the hamstring on it and was able to get some work in. Frontsquat was definitely cooking my abs and low back. Got back home here in IL at 10:30 last night. Much colder than the 70* and sunshine it had been in CA!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/16/20 - Wk6, OHP 3’s
BW 246.6

2x30 50/50/15

BB Strict OHP
45,65,95,115x5
145,170x3
190x4

NG DB Incline Press
65 2x30

BB Calf Raises
135 5x10

Low back, mid back, abs are completely trashed from re-introducing frontsquats Friday. Quads also still vaporized. Back work would have been sketchy, and it would have killed my ability to deadlift tomorrow. Will either make it up tomorrow and push deads back to Wed or just pull and try to work some rows in.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good God, why is there a naked picture of @DemntedCowboy on your thread link in the app?

Somethings you just can't unsee

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good God, why is there a naked picture of @dmntedcowboy on your thread link in the app?

Somethings you just can't unsee
One it's not naked, and two I was wondering the same thing. Lol

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One it's not naked, and two I was wondering the same thing. Lol
LMAO.... Couldn't even see his face but I knew it was him. I'm not so sure thats a good thing haha

Good God man, @DemntedCowboy did someone steal your secret Valentine's photos and post them here
Screenshot_20200216-142449~2.jpeg