Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I guess my preferred AM glitch is now double posting if my only other option is random nudes sprinkled throughout the forum in wrong places.

Last edited:
manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
That pic is good for cutting because everytime I see it, i completely lose my appetite

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/17/20 - Wk6, Rows
BW 248.6

BB Rows
135 2x8
185x8
235x12
270 2x6

Left after this. Decided to just go in to make up back work since I felt terrible, but on the first set of 12 rep rows I knew I had made a mistake even coming in. Knocked out my heavy set of 12 as 2x6 and it was still the heaviest, worst rows of my life. Wife is going to the doctor for sinus infection today, and I am trying to avoid sickness. Just can’t seem to feel recovered. Eating a ton.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/19/20 - Wk1, Deadlift
BW 247.0

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Fatman Rows
x2 circuits

Conv Deadlift, stiffbar
135x8
225,315x3
+hookgrip
365,415x1
455 3x3
+straps
455 2x3

Rackpulls Below Knee
345x12
+1/2in mat
345x12

Low Handles Rogue Trapbar, standing on 1 plate deficit
240x10
260x10

Hi Handles Rogue Trapbar, 3 sec eccentric
260x10
270 2x10

Back Extension
+65 db 3x15

Ugh, 90 works reps of deadlift variants. Lats, erectors, traps, grip all feel fried. The rogue hex bar’s high handles are almost double a normal trapbar’s, so I felt like it would be a good alternative for tempo Legpress since I can stay extremely upright. Kept the weight light so I can build my grip & volume endurance.

This begins the second mesocycle for 5th Set. You complete up to 3, then peak. Need to start looking for a meet in June or early July.

Also, wife strictpressed a 150 log yesterday, weighing 177. 10lb PR over like 3 weeks ago’s 10lb PR, just nuts. Arnold in 2 weeks!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/22/20 - Wk1, ME Lower with Chad

x2 circuits

Max Effort Pin Squats, 3” above my depth
45,135,225x5
315,365,405,435x2
455,475,500x1

GHR
3x15

Chad came into town to host a seminar so I skipped bench yesterday so I’d be fresh to train with him this morning. We completely forgot to do the backdown sets on squat, but just as well because this didn’t jack me up and won’t sabotage my real program. Gonna bench tomorrow so save my still toasted lats for that.

Wife pulled a 10lb axle PR, a new axle 3RM, and a 3lb barbell deadlift PR today all easily - she is stronger than ever and looking great for the Arnold!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
02/19/20 - Wk1, Deadlift
BW 247.0

x2 circuits

Conv Deadlift, stiffbar
135x8
225,315x3
+hookgrip
365,415x1
455 3x3
+straps
455 2x3

Rackpulls Below Knee
345x12
+1/2in mat
345x12

Low Handles Rogue Trapbar, standing on 1 plate deficit
240x10
260x10

Hi Handles Rogue Trapbar, 3 sec eccentric
260x10
270 2x10

Back Extension
+65 db 3x15

Ugh, 90 works reps of deadlift variants. Lats, erectors, traps, grip all feel fried. The rogue hex bar’s high handles are almost double a normal trapbar’s, so I felt like it would be a good alternative for tempo Legpress since I can stay extremely upright. Kept the weight light so I can build my grip & volume endurance.

This begins the second mesocycle for 5th Set. You complete up to 3, then peak. Need to start looking for a meet in June or early July.

Also, wife strictpressed a 150 log yesterday, weighing 177. 10lb PR over like 3 weeks ago’s 10lb PR, just nuts. Arnold in 2 weeks!
You picked up over 200kg 55 times. That is impressive condition dude!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well, I greatly appreciate the compliment, but I only did that 15 total reps in that session
Omg too early in the morning for me!

Failure to convert had me spinning out!

15reps over 200kg is still fucking epic! No wonder you are fatigued!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/23/20 - Wk1 Bench
BW 250.2

Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Hammercurls
50/50/15 2x30

Bench
45,95,135,185x5
225x3
255x1
275 4x2, 1x5

1-Board Bench
185 2x12

Side Raises
15,25x8
35 2x13

Rear Raises
15x12
30 2x12

Hammercurls
30,40x15

Really hammered the food yesterday and had the bloat to show for it, but no net in strength to show for it. Oh well. I didn’t weaken. Lats are super sore from yesterday’s squat.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/26/20 - Wk1, Squat
BW 246.4

x2 circuits

Squat
45 4x5
135 2x5
225x3
295x2
345,375x1
410 4x2
+triple-ply knee sleeves
410x6

Frontsquat
235x8

Hatfield Squat
242 2x8

GHR
5x12

Training today went pretty well. Decided to drop wraps completely since I really don’t want to hassle with them next competition. This meant my work weight was about to feel a lot heavier lol. Actually surprised how fast I was recovering between squat sets today, as well as GHR work. Rib was moving out of place after frontsquat so changed it to beltless Hatfield Squats. Dodged a bullet.

Man, those triple-ply Cerberus sleeves are gangster. Like a very light knee wrap. Switched from my Rehband for my AMRAP and they help so much out of the hole.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nooooo. I have been looking at those as well as the titan legless squat briefs. I finally talked myself out of buying either of them and now you done gone commenting about the damn knee sleeves.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nooooo. I have been looking at those as well as the titan legless squat briefs. I finally talked myself out of buying either of them and now you done gone commenting about the damn knee sleeves.
Oh dude I thought I already told you about them! I got them in July last year. They are so intense you cannot just keep them on - these are for someone looking to cheat but not looking to dick with a wrap. Think heavy yoke or training squats. I will check the size I have Friday and measure my legs so you can guess sizing.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh dude I thought I already told you about them! I got them in July last year. They are so intense you cannot just keep them on - these are for someone looking to cheat but not looking to dick with a wrap. Think heavy yoke or training squats. I will check the size I have Friday and measure my legs so you can guess sizing.
You very well may have...i maybe was just able to suppress the memory to keep me from buying them . They sound perfect, cuz fuk wrapping. Sounds good. I’ll definitely be buying a size down from what I think i should after my experience with the dual ply elbows from them.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For whatever reason I never assumed sushi was very high in protein. I never worried about it because I was always eating a lot as a free meal. But I actually looked it all up yesterday and turns out this is about 140-150g protein in one meal, with ultra-low fat for the entire 2,000 calories:

IMG_3351.JPG

Not a bad way to recover the wheels!

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For whatever reason I never assumed sushi was very high in protein. I never worried about it because I was always eating a lot as a free meal. But I actually looked it all up yesterday and turns out this is about 140-150g protein in one meal, with ultra-low fat for the entire 2,000 calories:

View attachment 191538

I personally dont care for sushi, but dam that's hefty dose of protein!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

View attachment 191538

Dude, I'm impressed you ate that in one sitting.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

View attachment 191538

Love me some Sushi. But that is seriously alot for me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That Vector and Folli got you carb hungry like a mofo. Yeah you end up getting a decent amount from the condensed rice on top of the fish.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I personally dont care for sushi, but dam that's hefty dose of protein!
Don’t get into it, this is from an awesome all-you-can-eat place and still cost me $20 with tip. In a big city this would cost $50 no joke.

Dude, I'm impressed you ate that in one sitting.
My standard allotment! If bulking I would have added a 10pc fried volcano roll.

Love me some Sushi. But that is seriously alot for me.
The trick is to eat fairly quickly and start with the nigiri, which taste best when hungry. As you fill up rotate the flavors and more towards the sweeter rolls that have more fat.

That Vector and Folli got you carb hungry like a mofo. Yeah you end up getting a decent amount from the condensed rice on top of the fish.
Honestly this has just become my favorite reload meal. I go 2-3x a month now.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice work! There is a good spot a mile from my house that has wicked lunch specials, and I have been crushing it after many a training session. I like the way I feel after I train, pound a shake, then slam down some feeeeesh.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s my kind of meal!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s my kind of meal!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I love to tear up sushi and I can attest to if in a big city that would run me $50. Such a great refeed meal nothing but carbs protein and low to moderate healthy fats...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/28/20 - Wk1, 5/3/1 OHP
BW 249.2

Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Hammercurls
60/50/20 2x30 each

BB Strictpress
45,65,95,115x5
140x3
160x5
180x3
200x3

NG DB Incline Press
35x15
70x30,29 PR

BB Skullcrushers
55x15
85 2x15

BB Rows
135,185x8
235 3x9

BB Calf Raises
140 5x10

One-Arm Cable Tri Pressdown
35 2x25 each overhand
30 2x25 each underhand

One-Arm DB Rows
115 2x15 each

BB Shrugs w/ straps
255,285x15

Lifetime PR with the incline DB work, which was big for me. Bumped up the warmup circuit weights some so skipped band pullaparts this week. Back work felt extremely weak again; not sure what’s going on there but I put the work in. Think I need to reduce my 5/3/1 press training max so I can hit more volume on the AMRAPs, because it’s been absolutely stagnant for 6 micro cycles now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That should help some, lowering the press training max that is. Probably doesn't help you have had 2 additional workouts recently that you didn't beat yourself up on but still added into the mix.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love to tear up sushi and I can attest to if in a big city that would run me $50. Such a great refeed meal nothing but carbs protein and low to moderate healthy fats...
Nah, there is a place here in Houston called Mikoto Ramen that does all you can eat for like $25 per person.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nah, there is a place here in Houston called Mikoto Ramen that does all you can eat for like $25 per person.
We had a place here in Detroit that was $12 all you could eat buffet with great sushi. But, they got closed down for Human Trafficking, Tax Evasion, Money Laundering, and a bunch of other charges.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was just looking at the dual ply sleeves (since they’re cheaper and I’m a cheap turd) and the 9mm sleeves. I have sleeves I love and are in really good shape still, but I wouldn’t mind some help with sets that are 8+ reps lol

I know you couldn’t use the 9mm in a comp but for training funsies (same with the dual ply).

Thanks

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We had a place here in Detroit that was $12 all you could eat buffet with great sushi. But, they got closed down for Human Trafficking, Tax Evasion, Money Laundering, and a bunch of other charges.
That’s intense. Glad they got them!

I was just looking at the dual ply sleeves (since they’re cheaper and I’m a cheap turd) and the 9mm sleeves. I have sleeves I love and are in really good shape still, but I wouldn’t mind some help with sets that are 8+ reps lol

I know you couldn’t use the 9mm in a comp but for training funsies (same with the dual ply).

Thanks
The 7mm is what I use for competing, and they are definitely more aggressive than my Rehband, but the 3-ply are truly assistive if you want pop without wrapping. Not as much as a tight self-wrap, but you will feel the difference!

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When you can charge 12 dollars for all you can eat you have to be making money somewhere else.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Word.

Going to order sometime this week. Thanks bruv.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/01/20 - Wk2, Deadlift
BW 247.2

x2 circuits

Deadlift, stiffbar
135x5
225,315x3
365x1
+hookgrip
415x1
460 4x3
+straps
460 1x3

Rackpulls, below knee
350 2x12 oh the hamstring burn!

Rogue Trapbar
Low handles & standing on a 45 plate
280,300x10

High Handles, 3 sec eccentrics
300 3x10

Back Extensions
+70 3x15

Got to train by myself with no time restrictions so that meant I got to blast the warehouse’s stereo for a change. 365 was doh and I actually held onto it very well so I know grip is improving. This was another brutal session but it felt like progress too.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good on the grip coming back!

@jimbuick Well damn we need to go sometime... Hit up a workout then pig out!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/03/20 - Wk2, Bench
BW 245.0

Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Hammer Curls
60/50/20 2x30

Bench
45,95,135x5
185,225x3
255x2
280 4x2, 1x4+2 after 10 sec rest & reset

1-Board Bench
190 2x12

Chin-ups

Side Raises
15,25x8
35 2x12

Rear Raises
15x12
30 2x14

Let my scapula unfold on third rep of bench AMRAP so I reset and smoked the extra 2 reps with proper technique. Lat inserts were absolutely toast from deadlifts still, so pull-ups were subbed with chins. Heading to the Arnold tonight, which got canceled last night due to the Corona Virus, but the competitors are still competing so we’re heading out at 2am tonight for 9am weighins. I’ll probably be spotty on here til next week, but I will let you all know how it goes when I can - hopefully the wife has a terrific comp! She’s stronger than ever.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dumb app

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im assuming theyre letting you in still since youre a competitors husband, right? Best of luck to Jess brother, hope she has a great comp.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wife took 11th out of 23 middleweights at the Arnold Amateur Strongman World Championship, and set new lifetime bests every single event! Goal was to place in the top half of the pack, and she did just that. Everything was just on this weekend - she was stronger than ever.

She clean & pressed a 180lb rogue 10” log for 3 full reps, pulled a 350lb axle for 3 reps, ran 190lbs/hand rogue farmer’s handles (which are the slickest out there) ~60ft in only 8.45 seconds, and ran a 490lb yoke the same in nearly 10 seconds flat (10.09).

No injuries & feeling great. It sucks the expo was cancelled, but it has been awesome watching the Pro Strongmen in the front row up close for a change!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats on meeting the goals you guys had set! I watched the live stream some and saw some of her reps on the clean and press and again on the deadlift medley (which, holy ****...that was a hardcore medley). Good work Jess!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats aswome, congrats Jess. They live stream for strongman was wonky (on my end at least?) either way, was cool to watch. I had a buddy who competed in the XPC this weekend as well.

Hope you all had a lot of fun and ate big food lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome, congratulations to her!!! To you as well for a finally having a front row seat! ;)