Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m kind of mentally in a holding pattern until I talk to my surgeon Friday. And exhausted from yesterday lol

It’s become freezing here; winter is officially in session and it’s always so much harder for me mentally to train in the dark & cold.

I was sitting at my work laptop rubbing blue heat horse liniment on my knees just to go out in the garage for a spell!
Much, much harder. so hard that my wife and I have every intention of creating a snowbird lifestyle in as few years as possible and are even shopping land in mexico........... That said, I feel like I get more hours of sleep in the winter = recovery. we're at 33F this morning.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Winter does not bother me, but my wife gets SADS, I also sleep better when it's cold
I imagine you wouldn’t, training in the basement - no need to go out in the dark & cold!

Much, much harder. so hard that my wife and I have every intention of creating a snowbird lifestyle in as few years as possible and are even shopping land in mexico........... That said, I feel like I get more hours of sleep in the winter = recovery. we're at 33F this morning.
Yeah very similar here, 29* and we had our first snow.

I don’t want to move away from my in-laws right now (they’re only an hour away and my son loves to visit them), but eventually we want to move to FL on the gulf coast.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yup, that's our thought as well. 3 of 4 are moved out. once my boy is of that age (about 5 years to go).... we remove the ball and chain from our ankles (is the plan)...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/16/22
BW 246.2

Band Pullaparts, Pressdown, Flyes
3x25 each

Axle Pin Press from Chest
45,95,135x5
185,225x3
275,295,315,335x1
+doubled micro minibands
275 2x2

Reverse Axle Curls
45 2x15

I was pretty excited/interested for this one, but I just felt weak & tired to my core (not sleepy, just sick). My axle pin press PR is 350, and 335 today was maximum effort. But I was 9lbs heavier then, on blast, and not sick, so I’ll take it. Just did some heavy work & cut out.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
11/16/22
BW 246.2

Band Pullaparts, Pressdown, Flyes
3x25 each

Axle Pin Press from Chest
45,95,135x5
185,225x3
275,295,315,335x1
+doubled micro minibands
275 2x2

Reverse Axle Curls
45 2x15

I was pretty excited/interested for this one, but I just felt weak & tired to my core (not sleepy, just sick). My axle pin press PR is 350, and 335 today was maximum effort. But I was 9lbs heavier then, on blast, and not sick, so I’ll take it. Just did some heavy work & cut out.
There’s a lot of viruses going around already….rest up and feel better.🙏

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I Hope You Feel Better Very Soon !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/17/22
BW 247.2

8 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Back Extension w/ Ham Raise
BW 2x15

Low Handle Trapbar
60,150x5
240,330x3
+belt
420,470,520,560x3 PR

Sumo, stiffbar, beltless
225,315x3
385 3x3
+straps
385,435x3

RDLs
+belt & straps
405x5,5,7 volume PR

Lat Pulldown
110,121x20
143x16
165x10

Lat Pressdown Dropset
66,55,44,33,22x10 each

After the poor performance on the axle benching, I decided I should probably pump the brakes on weightloss for now (I’ve dropped 18-20lbs). I don’t want to gain any, but I feel to continue losing fat will probably require a significant reduction in calories or increase in cardio that would negatively effect my recovery.

So I hit the Chinese buffet afterwards on Wednesday, then ate a wholesome but high carb diet yesterday, & had a killer evening session.

Deadlift continues to trend upwards.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
11/17/22
BW 247.2

8 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

BW 2x15

Low Handle Trapbar
60,150x5
240,330x3
+belt
420,470,520,560x3 PR

Sumo, stiffbar, beltless
225,315x3
385 3x3
+straps
385,435x3

RDLs
+belt & straps
405x5,5,7 volume PR

Lat Pulldown
110,121x20
143x16
165x10

Lat Pressdown Dropset
66,55,44,33,22x10 each

After the poor performance on the axle benching, I decided I should probably pump the brakes on weightloss for now (I’ve dropped 18-20lbs). I don’t want to gain any, but I feel to continue losing fat will probably require a significant reduction in calories or increase in cardio that would negatively effect my recovery.

So I hit the Chinese buffet afterwards on Wednesday, then ate a wholesome but high carb diet yesterday, & had a killer evening session.

Deadlift continues to trend upwards.
Good to see you’re still hitting PRs even though you’ve dropped weight. Man my wife and I can tear up a Chinese Buffet…we have some good ones around here, and when we go I just give up on tracking calories or macros, and just enjoy.
Looks like you must be feeling better from the other day.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We need a Good Chinese Restaurant in our area, we have a great place for take out, but they don't do sit down or a buffet.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Blood pressure this morning was 126/76 again, pulse 62, so I’m happy no Telmisartan is currently necessary. Still on 150 test/100 mast split over 2 shots/wk, no AI.

Met with my local surgeon this morning to discuss MRI results; he called my Chicago surgeon while I was there. There’s bone on the inside crook AND back of my elbow that’s physically limiting my flexion that is now obvious in the MRI.

Plan is for the Chicago surgeon to scope my left elbow: I will have full ROM back before I get off the operating table, and do PT a few times a week initially to maintain the restored ROM. I can begin lifting with my arm immediately, but should expect a lot of pain for several months.

So now it’s down to getting that scheduled with his office!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Blood pressure this morning was 126/76 again, pulse 62, so I’m happy no Telmisartan is currently necessary. Still on 150 test/100 mast split over 2 shots/wk, no AI.

Met with my local surgeon this morning to discuss MRI results; he called my Chicago surgeon while I was there. There’s bone on the inside crook AND back of my elbow that’s physically limiting my flexion that is now obvious in the MRI.

Plan is for the Chicago surgeon to scope my left elbow: I will have full ROM back before I get off the operating table, and do PT a few times a week initially to maintain the restored ROM. I can begin lifting with my arm immediately, but should expect a lot of pain for several months.

That’s good news, not the pain part, but full ROM. Hopefully as you build that tissue back up, that restored strength will help prevent any new injuries. I don’t know if you had mentioned it, but have you had a previous injury that’s causing this or just wear and tear over the years? You may have mentioned it and I missed it, I just don’t remember.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All Sounds Like Good News Hyde 2.0 !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s good news, not the pain part, but full ROM. Hopefully as you build that tissue back up, that restored strength will help prevent any new injuries. I don’t know if you had mentioned it, but have you had a previous injury that’s causing this or just wear and tear over the years? You may have mentioned it and I missed it, I just don’t remember.
It could possibly have something to do with my distal biceps tendon ripping off & getting re-attached, but based on the bone on the back of the elbow under the tricep it’s probably just wear & tear from trying to get jacked

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It could possibly have something to do with my distal biceps tendon ripping off & getting re-attached, but based on the bone on the back of the elbow under the tricep it’s probably just wear & tear from trying to get jacked
Yeah probably a combination of both. Hopefully this restores it fully, and you won’t need any future procedures.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Is it bone fragments or bone growth?
Either way, good news no ROM impingement post surgery!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/20/22
BW 247.2

8 min walk

Cable Rope Facepulls/Tri Pressdown/Rows circuit
38 3x25/25/12 per side

Bench
45,95,135,185,225x5
255 5x5

Seated DB Press
25x20
50 2x15,1x20

Incline Williams Extensions
40,50x10
65x6,4
55x10

Bumper Plate Front Raise Dropsets
45x10 -> 35x12 -> 25x14 -> 10x16
10x16 -> 25x14 -> 35x12 -> 45x10

Didn’t really feel like starting another dynamic wave yet; just working my benchpressing muscles.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

definitely seems like this would lead to a better/faster recovery then muscular/etc type situation. Pain is just weakness leaving the body anyways, right?!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
definitely seems like this would lead to a better/faster recovery then muscular/etc type situation. Pain is just weakness leaving the body anyways, right?!
Talking about shirt sleeves I used to have a shirt (30 years ago) with1/4 sleeves that had this saying on it !! (loved that shirt)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/21/22

8 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Glute Bridges

BW 2x15

Rack Pull Above Knees
45,135,225x5
+straps
315,405x1
+belt
495,545,595,645x1

Frontsquat
45,95x5
145,185x3
235,275x1
+belt & sleeves
305,325,345x1
255 3x5

Widegrip Neutral Low Cable Row
77,99x20
121 2x15

Pulldowns
110,143x15
165 2x10
110x20

Standing Cable Abs
44x50

I think 700 from just above knee was on the table this morning, but my main focus was trying out Frontsquat on my ankle & I’m glad I saved the energy! They felt heavy, but like they were exactly what I needed right now for my deadlift.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
11/21/22

8 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Glute Bridges

BW 2x15

Rack Pull Above Knees
45,135,225x5
+straps
315,405x1
+belt
495,545,595,645x1

Frontsquat
45,95x5
145,185x3
235,275x1
+belt & sleeves
305,325,345x1
255 3x5

Widegrip Neutral Low Cable Row
77,99x20
121 2x15

Pulldowns
110,143x15
165 2x10
110x20

Standing Cable Abs
44x50

I think 700 from just above knee was on the table this morning, but my main focus was trying out Frontsquat on my ankle & I’m glad I saved the energy! They felt heavy, but like they were exactly what I needed right now for my deadlift.
Looks like you’re definitely dialing it back up.💪🔥

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good news on the elbow, outside of the pain that is. Nice work on those front squats, especially if the ankle felt good during them.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
same. you just reminded me of when I asked some new kids at the gym to spot me when I was deadlifting. They were like "yeah ! sure!.... how??" I said you just get down there and floorpress it if it looks like i'm in trouble.
Better than "Just give me a little goose in the caboose! I will get it up then!"

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
645x OK I'm Died Now!!
You’d be amazed what you can lug from above the knee! It’s a fairly bogus lift, but the 18” blockpull/silver dollar deadlift does pop up now and again at strongman comps.

Looks like you’re definitely dialing it back up.
Taking it easy! I’ve technically reduced my gear; was doing 150 test & 100 mast/wk but now moving those 75/50 shots to e5d.

I think doing less squatting/leg work has been letting me hit what I do a bit harder.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It’s a fairly bogus lift, but the 18” blockpull/silver dollar deadlift does pop up now and again at strongman comps.
It is, but I thought I had read studies on the positive hormonal effect of even just holding that much weight in your hand. Maybe it's bro science and a placebo but I did a lot of rack pulls after I tore that ligament in my back until I could get all the way to full DL again and after my experience I'd recommend it for anyone rehabbing back issues... I mean 135lbs was enough to make me puke off the ground, but rack pulling 405 was doable

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It is, but I thought I had read studies on the positive hormonal effect of even just holding that much weight in your hand. Maybe it's bro science and a placebo but I did a lot of rack pulls after I tore that ligament in my back until I could get all the way to full DL again and after my experience I'd recommend it for anyone rehabbing back issues... I mean 135lbs was enough to make me puke off the ground, but rack pulling 405 was doable
Not sure on the hormonal but for tendon strength and what not it is very good. Limited safe ROM but stimulates a lot of collagen production. I read an article regarding tendon strengthening and they were all maximal weight in short ROM activities that were suggested to really increase connective tissue strength.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure on the hormonal but for tendon strength and what not it is very good. Limited safe ROM but stimulates a lot of collagen production. I read an article regarding tendon strengthening and they were all maximal weight in short ROM activities that were suggested to really increase connective tissue strength.
Makes sense, because your not stretching the tendon all the way.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Makes sense, because your not stretching the tendon all the way.
Yeah was a lot of things like 2-4 inch lockouts and holds on a lot of lifts. Sometimes just straining against something so heavy you can't even move it in that ROM.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fasted about 23 hours yesterday besides black coffee, a couple doses of A-Y, Synephrine, Naringin, Choline, plus 20mcg Clen & a 300mg shot of l-carnitine.

Then enjoyed this 1.5lb of prime beef 🥩 and a bowl of casein sludge.

IMG_7343.JPG

Woke up 3lbs lighter at 243.2lbs.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
YUM!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
♥ Beef ♥

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/23/22
BW 243.2

6 min walk

Band Pullaparts ss w/ Band Pressdown
35,33,33 each

Band Flyes ss w/ Band Chest Presses
30 each

Yukon Bar Bench
60x10
vs doubled micro minibands
60x5
110,150,200,240,270x1
295,305,315x1 PR

Closegrip Yukon Bench to Foam
vs doubled micro minibands
200,210,220,230,240x6

V-Grip Band Tri Pressdown
2 Strong + 1 Average x8,10,10

alt w/ Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
35x15,12,12

Perfect Push-up
2x25

My arthroscopic surgery got scheduled today for December 7th. During my warmup tonight, it dawned on me there’s a tiny chance when they put me under for that surgery, I might never wake up. I thought about how I’d want to live these last 2 weeks - with no regrets. That goes for training!

Took a 25lb PR on the Yukon bar vs doubled minis over what I hit 20 weeks ago, while weighing 15lbs lighter, while just cruising for months now instead of blasting.

“You can do anything you set your mind to, man…”
-Eminem

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Live ever day like it's your last !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/24/22

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
2x15

Sumo, stiffbar
45x10
135x5
+1-ply gateway briefs
225,315x3
405 2x3
+belt
455,495,545x1

RDLs
+belt & straps
425x5,5,8 PR

Chest-Supported Row
35x15
60,80x12
105x8
115x6

Lying Leg Raise + Curl-Up
2x20

alt w/ Lying Leg Curl
58 2x50

I’m grateful to have set a lifetime rep PR on RDLs to kick Thanksgiving off right! The 545 Sumo wasn’t a PR, but it was a fun heavy single that paid out more than it cost for sure - really nailed technique.

Hope you all had a good holiday - I’m thankful for your friendship!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Keep hitting those PR and who knows how much you will lift in your next competition !!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Crushing it of course. It is interesting when your own mortality stares you in the face, and even better when it makes you want to strive for more. Congrats on your hard earned PR's!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Always a great sign when you’re hitting PRs at a lower weight. 💪
Hope all you guys had a great Thanksgiving with friends and family.
My wife and I have had this crazy flu for a week, so we didn’t want it to ruin our family’s Thanksgiving. So our teenage grandson fumigated the house and we stayed in our bedroom, so they could enjoy. But that was okay because it felt good hearing them all enjoying themselves. We watched movies, ate fruit and hydrated.
Thankful for family and friends and friends I’ve made on here that enjoy helping each other in our favorite hobby and lifestyle.💪🙏

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Always a great sign when you’re hitting PRs at a lower weight.
Hope all you guys had a great Thanksgiving with friends and family.
My wife and I have had this crazy flu for a week, so we didn’t want it to ruin our family’s Thanksgiving. So our teenage grandson fumigated the house and we stayed in our bedroom, so they could enjoy. But that was okay because it felt good hearing them all enjoying themselves. We watched movies, ate fruit and hydrated.
Thankful for family and friends and friends I’ve made on here that enjoy helping each other in our favorite hobby and lifestyle.
Hope you w recover speedily. Everyone has something right now it seems. I guess this is the new normal? Damned annoying really

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I still haven't felt right from the Upper Respiratory Infection I had a little while back. The fever went away but the rest of the symptoms just seem to be lingering going on two weeks now it seems.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/27/22
BW 246.2

10 min walk

Rope Facepulls, Pressdowns, Rows circuit
33 3x25, 4x25, 3x15

Bench
45,95,135,185,235x5
260 3x5
265,270x5

EZBar Lying Tri Extension
50x20
100 2x17

Didn’t eat enough close enough to this and was getting shaky before tricep extensions so I grabbed a couple sets and bounced.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You have to keep fuel in the tank !

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
pretty normal lol. I haven't really been sick since 2019 and my boy is 13 now. But all my co-workers with toddlers are sick monthly....ha

Yeah I mean I’ve never had a toddler in daycare before - I assume this is just the norm for that! Something every other month, but it’s probably making me tougher in the long run.