Back Extension
100 3x10

Hatfield Back Raise
100 3x10

Cable Pulldown Abs
A bunch til fatigue

Lying Leg Curl
58 2x50

Great session. Bit tough mentally to skip squatting, but I need this ankle to improve - some blood under the skin after last Monday’s free squatting, so some kind of soft tissue on the outside just above the ankle bone is slightly torn. Boxsquatting didn’t cause it, but it still stressed it out last week after the acute trauma. Sticking to deadlifting tonight was much kinder, and I made huge progress on my RDLs.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Smart training as always Sir!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I really liked adding the ham raise to the back extension warmups btw! That felt very useful.
Yeah out of things I just randomly decided to try this has been one of my favorite results.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MRI went well this morning - tech said she thought we got some really good images for the doctor to look at this week.

My arm wasn’t going to clear the ceiling with it turned palm up and propped on the pad like she needed for imaging, but I did some quick manual therapy/stretching on it and then held a small weight in my palm throughout the session and we got it to straighten out just enough to slide my body into the oven

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
MRI went well this morning - tech said she thought we got some really good images for the doctor to look at this week.

My arm wasn’t going to clear the ceiling with it turned palm up and propped on the pad like she needed for imaging, but I did some quick manual therapy/stretching on it and then held a small weight in my palm throughout the session and we got it to straighten out just enough to slide my body into the oven
As much as I know MRIs are needed, I’ve always hated them because almost every injury they check it seems you have to put it in the most uncomfortable or painful position to get the correct images for the Doctor. Hopefully they will be able to see what it is, and it will be an easy fix.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I hope it's a quick, painless fix !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/06/22
BW 247.6

6 min walk

Band Pullaparts & Pressdowns / Rows
3x35 each / 3x15/side

Dynamic Swissbar Bench
45 2x8
+doubled minibands (+80-90 at top)
45,95,135x5
165x3
185 5x3
205,225x1
-doubled minibands
275,300x1 10lb PR

Swissbar Standing OHP
45,45,95,115,125,130x10

DB Lateral Raises
15x12
25x10
35x20

Push-ups
BWx33

Wanted to max on swissbar for weeks now but haven’t wanted to haul it to the commercial gym on Wednesdays. Last week of this dynamic wave with it & I was on fire today - faster than the last 2 weeks with lighter weights! Decided to cook while the pan was hot & crushed it.

I believe I can do more with the wide grip, but I wanted to keep it apples to apples. Plus I think the mid grip is a better builder.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Very Nice !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/07/22

8 min walk

Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
2x15

Deficit Conventional Deadlift, stiffbar
175x5
265x3
355,405x1
+belt
455,495,535,555x1 30lb PR

BB Rows
265 4x8

Low Back-Supported Hanging Leg Raises
3x15

GHR
2x20

Another ass-kicking day; 535 was a new best, but it was so easy I had to take another pull! First time on GHR in a while & it was also way stronger. Deadlift has to be on the rise.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
11/07/22

8 min walk

Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
2x15

175x5
265x3
355,405x1
+belt

BB Rows
265 4x8

3x15

GHR
2x20

Another ass-kicking day; 535 was a new best, but it was so easy I had to take another pull! First time on GHR in a while & it was also way stronger. Deadlift has to be on the rise.

Impressive following those heavy Deadlifts with BB Rows 265 4x8…..curious what’s your 8 rep PR for BB Rows?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Impressive following those heavy Deadlifts with BB Rows 265 4x8…..curious what’s your 8 rep PR for BB Rows?
These were actually down in strength for sure, but I haven’t been doing them either.

I just did 305x6 & 315x5 2-3 months back which was a PR, on a random training day trying them. Think I did 275-295x8-10 prior that day, just going off memory.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MRI woes! I remember when I had to get one for my distal end of my right biceps and they had to put me into hyperextension for the MRI. It hurt so bad and then something went wrong with the MRI unit when it was almost done so they had to start all over. I was in so much pain I couldn't believe that something had gone wrong right at the end. As the second part was getting toward the end she came over the intercom and I said if it messed up again get me out of here. She was like No Sir just wanted to tell you to hold in there only a few more minutes left. WHEW!!!!!

Congrats on the PRs!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah although nothing illegal I agree it is a bit slimy. Unfortunate because he is a pretty funny guy and has some good guests on his videos. Hard to believe he did that to Darden, I can see the whole thing with the patent even though I can't say I approve. However, something as simple as using a photo of Darden's and not giving him credit for the picture to give an assist is a little more personal and less savory to me.
What a schmuck.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This made me laugh so hard!

Like @gphagan1 suggested, we’ve got a doctor in town who does some good spine work. I’ve spotted him at meets and his training & he is a sharp dude. My wife was getting shoulder issues & numbness in her circus dumbbell pressing arm, and his X-rays showed a misalignment in her c-spine that was pinching a nerve. For about $3k he non-surgically got her back into alignment over months, out of pain, and got her pressing power back & balanced. So I think if we find a discrepancy he may be a great resource I have seen work personally.

Talked with the nurse - we’re going to proceed with the elbow MRI this Saturday & see what that shows, & consider exploring my neck if it doesn’t turn up any other obvious physical issues.
Contrary to popular belief, you can heal from chronic spinal injuries in many instances. I can personally attest - I was strongly encourage to have surgery when I prolapsed 3 discs in my lumbar and told I would be significantly impaired and in constant pain if I didn’t. My physio talked me out of it and 3 years later my back is better than it was before the injury.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
11/07/22

8 min walk

Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
2x15

175x5
265x3
355,405x1
+belt

BB Rows
265 4x8

3x15

GHR
2x20

pretty sick pulls. how much of a deficit do you work from? I used to use a 45lb bumper running around 3.75" but lately have just used a 25lb closer to 1.5-2" as I work back into that style of training.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
pretty sick pulls. how much of a deficit do you work from? I used to use a 45lb bumper running around 3.75" but lately have just used a 25lb closer to 1.5-2" as I work back into that style of training.
Probably similar, about 4”. My feet are very close to the bar, & it’s a long pull!

I strongly believe if you want the biggest transfer to comp technique you only want like an inch or so, enough that you don’t meaningfully have to change your form, but since this is just a maximum effort lower day the only goal is to pick a movement that makes you strain hard to build total body strength.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/09/22
BW 246.2

8 min walk

Cable Rope Facepulls/Tri Pressdown/Rows circuit
38 3x25/25/12 per side

Max Incline Pin Press from Eye Level
45x15
95x5
145x2
195,225,255,265,275x1

Low Incline Widegrip Spoto Press
135,185x5
245 3x4

Incline Williams Extensions
30x12
45x10
60 2x8
65x9 PR

Plate Overhead Front Raise
45 5x10

DB Laterals
22.5 3x20

Didn’t have the time to do any vertical pulling, but everything I did was done well today. Happy for the new best on the Williams Extensions. Scott told me he would use the 80s for sets of 8 or so, so that’s always in the back of my head as something I need to be chasing if I want to build that kind of power.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
65 lbs x 9 is a good weight on Williams Extensions, but man 80x8 that’s getting serious and a good goal. You’re close, so you’ll get it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
65 lbs x 9 is a good weight on Williams Extensions, but man 80x8 that’s getting serious and a good goal. You’re close, so you’ll get it.
It’s 23% higher, which is already pretty significant for an isolation movement, but his best comp raw bench was 565 and that’s 44% higher than my 391…so I know that’s not going to be the sole solution to benching almost 6 plates

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PR!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s 23% higher, which is already pretty significant for an isolation movement, but his best comp raw bench was 565 and that’s 44% higher than my 391…so I know that’s not going to be the sole solution to benching almost 6 plates
Yeah, 23% jump is significant, especially with those. I actually had forgotten how good those work, because of the different angle. I need to add some to my workout.👍

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Probably similar, about 4”. My feet are very close to the bar, & it’s a long pull!

I strongly believe if you want the biggest transfer to comp technique you only want like an inch or so, enough that you don’t meaningfully have to change your form, but since this is just a maximum effort lower day the only goal is to pick a movement that makes you strain hard to build total body strength.
Makes sense. not really related but I recall years ago Klokov saying that the best thing for calves was snatchgrip deficit pulls (lol).

11/09/22
BW 246.2

8 min walk

Cable Rope Facepulls/Tri Pressdown/Rows circuit
38 3x25/25/12 per side

Max Incline Pin Press from Eye Level
45x15
95x5
145x2
195,225,255,265,275x1

Low Incline Widegrip Spoto Press
135,185x5
245 3x4

Incline Williams Extensions
30x12
45x10
60 2x8
65x9 PR

Plate Overhead Front Raise
45 5x10

DB Laterals
22.5 3x20

Didn’t have the time to do any vertical pulling, but everything I did was done well today. Happy for the new best on the Williams Extensions. Scott told me he would use the 80s for sets of 8 or so, so that’s always in the back of my head as something I need to be chasing if I want to build that kind of power.
Never done a williams before, had to look that one up. Seems like it would be much more controlled and effective than a standard bent over db extension though...? I might have to test the elbows on these and throw them in.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Makes sense. not really related but I recall years ago Klokov saying that the best thing for calves was snatchgrip deficit pulls (lol).

Never done a williams before, had to look that one up. Seems like it would be much more controlled and effective than a standard bent over db extension though...? I might have to test the elbows on these and throw them in.
Hyde knows all the tricks!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
gave these a try today, but I forgot you posted as an incline and did them flat. I'll have to give them another whirl. Definition got a solid tri pump and the movement comes with some natural TUT. I dig it!
Flat is really great too; Scott just told me he always liked the incline version. I know Matt Wenning likes them inclined as well (he was also a tricep dominant bencher).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/10/22
BW 247.4

8 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
BW 2x12

14” Boxsquat
45 2x5
135,225x3
315x2
+gateway briefs
365x1
+belt
405,445,475,505x1

Sumo, beltless, stiffbar
135,225x3
315x3
345 5x3 (4 doh, 1 comp)
395,445x1

RDLs
+belt & straps
385 3x6

Wanted to get some weight on my back to keep my body used to that, but didn’t want to accumulate any meaningful squat volume to overload the healing ankle - worked up to a 90+% effort single & then move onto deadlift. Sumo practice moved better this week with 10% more load, and 395 felt like a perfect pull.

RDLs have come up a lot, but I think I can probably drive them one more week to 4 plates before rotating off of them.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
505X1 = Nice !!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like some productive training there!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
505X1 = Nice !!
It felt good! Slowed down a lot from the speed of 475 so I shut it off there. Didn’t want to actually max out (that’s what my Mondays are for), just get a good weight down to my competition depth.

Looks like some productive training there!
My ankle is no worse for wear, so I’m a happy camper! Hoping to try a free squat next week and see how that goes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice recent PRs! Damn you’re getting skinny man lol
Lol yeah my stomach can fit back into my XL shirts again

Just been trying to get my body healthier for elbow surgery if it’s necessary. And just for longterm progression.

Oh no, throwing insults like skinny at a powerlifter???? LMAO!
Next he’ll be telling me I remind him of his favorite fitness influencer!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol yeah my stomach can fit back into my XL shirts again

Just been trying to get my body healthier for elbow surgery if it’s necessary. And just for longterm progression.

Next he’ll be telling me I remind him of his favorite fitness influencer!
As long as he doesn’t accuse you of jumping ship and going over to CrossFit….it would be time to up the calories.😜

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
11/06/22
BW 247.6

6 min walk

Band Pullaparts & Pressdowns / Rows
3x35 each / 3x15/side

Dynamic Swissbar Bench
45 2x8
+doubled minibands (+80-90 at top)
45,95,135x5
165x3
185 5x3
205,225x1
-doubled minibands
275,300x1 10lb PR

Swissbar Standing OHP
45,45,95,115,125,130x10

DB Lateral Raises
15x12
25x10
35x20

Push-ups
BWx33

Wanted to max on swissbar for weeks now but haven’t wanted to haul it to the commercial gym on Wednesdays. Last week of this dynamic wave with it & I was on fire today - faster than the last 2 weeks with lighter weights! Decided to cook while the pan was hot & crushed it.

I believe I can do more with the wide grip, but I wanted to keep it apples to apples. Plus I think the mid grip is a better builder.
Do you prefer swissbar overhead over regular Barbell? My gym has one (thought it was called something else though), but I haven't used it yet. I used to do log overhead press and loved that, but thought regular Barbell would hit the Lateral head just a little bit better. Any thoughts on that?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well that’s a little unexpected, but I support him.

I mean, I’ll try to support him.

I guess, I’ll tell people I still support him.

Funny :ROFLMAO:

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you prefer swissbar overhead over regular Barbell? My gym has one (thought it was called something else though), but I haven't used it yet. I used to do log overhead press and loved that, but thought regular Barbell would hit the Lateral head just a little bit better. Any thoughts on that?
Not really, but I had it out and with my limited elbow flexion I can get a bit better depth than a barbell or axle, so it made sense. I really like using the buffalo bar with my elbow the way it is.

Swissbar is also referred to as a football bar, or sometimes a cambered press bar (when made with one).

I would agree that a straight bar is a bit more delts and a bit less tricep drive, but I don’t think it matters in the scheme of things.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
11/14/22
BW 245.6

Band Pullaparts ss w/ Tri Pressdown
3x33-34 each

alt w/ Reverse Hyper
210 3x25

Incline DB Benchpress
35 4x25 (raising angle each set)

Yoke Pull-ups

No real training yesterday or today. Had to watch my son early while wife trained yesterday, after we had to carry our strongman shed from one side of the house to the other, then hit the road for a long day of travel for my dad’s birthday. Didn’t get to sleep until midnight, so getting up at 5am to train wasn’t really going to be productive.

Did this on lunch today, just some muscle volume maintenance. Low energy, low drive, low time so I’m glad I managed this.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm sure your body thanked you!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
the candor is appreciated. sometimes good to know even the beasts take rests and jam out a lunch session lol.
I’m kind of mentally in a holding pattern until I talk to my surgeon Friday. And exhausted from yesterday lol

I'm sure your body thanked you!
It’s become freezing here; winter is officially in session and it’s always so much harder for me mentally to train in the dark & cold.

I was sitting at my work laptop rubbing blue heat horse liniment on my knees just to go out in the garage for a spell!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m kind of mentally in a holding pattern until I talk to my surgeon Friday. And exhausted from yesterday lol

It’s become freezing here; winter is officially in session and it’s always so much harder for me mentally to train in the dark & cold.

I was sitting at my work laptop rubbing blue heat horse liniment on my knees just to go out in the garage for a spell!
Yeah that cold air and short days always has made it take longer to warmup and get ready physically and mentally. But I always seem to get better sleep when it’s cold out, for some reason.