How would one go about getting their genetic makeup analyzed/ tested by a doctor?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
We all know genetics play the most important role in bodybuilding.

Imagine for a second before you ever started lifting that you could go to a doctor, have him run some tests, and give you a page of results explaining what your genetic makeup consists of? It would simply tell you if you were capable of being a successful athlete or not. It also would tell you if you had the genetics required to be successful in bodybuilding. Unfortuately most people only guess if they have the genetics to get to a certain level which I find is a disadvantage.

I know they have done this for pro athletes before.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Its called Family History..
Standard DNA tests do not provide the information I am requesting do they? I was reading an article about a company back in 2008 that was offering what I am in search of. They charged $149 bucks and were based out of Boulder Colorado. They went out of business because they were found guilty of selling "Snake Oil" as their DNA test.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Lol blood tests too see if you can exceed? I know several people who looked like they would never look anything but scrawny and skinny, yet turned out to look pretty damn good. People with good genetics make it look easy but with some serious hard work and grind almost anyone can create a decent physique in my eyes, maybe not stage worthy but definitely something to be proud of.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Imagine for a second before you ever started lifting that you could go to a doctor, have him run some tests, and give you a page of results explaining what your genetic makeup consists of? It would simply tell you if you were capable of being a successful athlete or not. It also would tell you if you had the genetics required to be successful in bodybuilding. Unfortuately most people only guess if they have the genetics to get to a certain level which I find is a disadvantage.

I got mine tested at fitness genes.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I get mine tested 5days in a week at the gym and through out the week at home.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Someone just answer the ****in question here. How do pros get this **** tested?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Someone just answer the ****in question here. How do pros get this **** tested?
Who is saying that pros get their genes tested? Maybe some -but surely not all of them, right?
Weird questions getting weird answers.
Why does it **** matter? Genes get switched on- or off according to lifestyle. Lets say you had sh1tty genes, would you change the gym for a origami club?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Who is saying that pros get their genes tested? Maybe some -but surely not all of them, right?
Weird questions getting weird answers.
Why does it **** matter? Genes get switched on- or off according to lifestyle. Lets say you had sh1tty genes, would you change the gym for a origami club?
Lmbo... Here’s the answer to your question.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

If you do an internet search for bodybuilding genetic testing, there are a few that pop up. Honestly, I wouldn't trust most out there that are claiming to give you an exact diet and training routine based on sending in a saliva sample. The results you get back are accurate as far as your genes go, but genetics isn't as simple as here what your DNA sequence is and that translates into this. We now know there can be modifications in the process going from genotype to phenotype (google epigenetics).

Your best bet might be to speak with a genetic counselor. They tend to deal more with conditions and diseases that are inherited, but they may be able to give you a complete answer as to what you should get tested and how to interpret the results. Even then it will probably be more about probabilities, like you're more likely to be this body type or you have a 60% chance of this based on other people with your certain gene. Costs will be high though, so don't expect a few hundred dollars like with 23andme and similar tests.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pros don’t care about their genetic makeup. They care about the quality of their gear. Seriously.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pros don’t care about their genetic makeup. They care about the quality of their gear. Seriously.
True. Plus, genetics is a small part of a very large puzzle and I just don't know if the cost:benefit ratio makes sense in this case.