High vitamin D level = high testosterone level

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
There’s an amazingly simple way for western men to raise their testosterone level. All they have to do is take a supplement containing extra vitamin D. At least, this is what we deduce from an epidemiological study done at the Medical University Graz in Austria, which will soon be published in Clinical Endocrinology.

Vitamin D is actually a hormone – one that regulates three percent of our genes. Among those genes are a few that are responsible for the production of testosterone in the Leydig cells. So vitamin D is an important vitamin, certainly once you realise that an overwhelming majority of the western population has too little vitamin D in their blood.

This is because our food contains too little vitamin D, so we have to rely mainly on the vitamin D that our body makes. When exposed to sunlight our skin cells convert cholesterol into vitamin D. But we get too little sunlight and are therefore unable to make enough vitamin D.

So does that mean that most men in the West therefore make too little testosterone?

This is the question that the Austrians set out to answer. So they examined the blood of 2300 men whose average age was just over sixty. Only eleven percent of them had sufficient vitamin D in their blood. And indeed: the more vitamin D the men had in their blood, the higher their testosterone levels and their concentration of free testosterone [FAI].

High vitamin D level = high testosterone level

anbes

Awards
well, the problem about calciferol (vit d) is the manegemnt of Calcium. If you exceed the vid D dosage You are in a serius risk of a cardiac attack!

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I take 4,000 IUs a day on top of the 800 IUs I get from my multi. If you want to see if you are deficient ask your doctor for a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. You want between 50-80 ng/ml. I got this info from the article below, I suggest reading it.

Vitamin D

Bigbuttchicks

Awards
false .......I was supplementing with vitamin d and my test was low as ****....the vitamin d level was off the charts and I have the bloodowrk to prove it

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
false .......I was supplementing with vitamin d and my test was low as ****....the vitamin d level was off the charts and I have the bloodowrk to prove it
That doesn't mean it's false, it means your low test levels were caused by something else.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
vitamin D is a prohormone. or sumthin like that, but is only converted into that when you are under sunlight.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
luckily i take a multi with 1000 uis vit D so do not have to worry about extra vit d. once in a while I do take an extra 2000 uis

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
I think personally, There is a huge differnce between synthetic vitamin D, and the one made in nature, or maybe not.

maybe you need sunlight for vitamin D to work. If youre taking a huge dose of Vitamin D and not getting sunlight, you probally wont benefit.

Ive read other articles about sunlight, and its positive benefits. Its best to get extra sunlight then taking extra synthetic vitamin D.

I also think, i would say know, that vitamins found in nature are more bio-valuable and work better.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Actually most supplements are vitamin D3, the active form that sunlight converts other vitamin D precursors (D1, D2) into. And all the research is on supplements. In other words, sun exposure is not needed to get the demonstrated benefit.

Anyone not taking at least 1000IU D3 ED at this point is simply not keeping up with the research.

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
Actually most supplements are vitamin D3, the active form that sunlight converts other vitamin D precursors (D1, D2) into. And all the research is on supplements. In other words, sun exposure is not needed to get the demonstrated benefit.

Anyone not taking at least 1000IU D3 ED at this point is simply not keeping up with the research.
maybe people who are also deficient in cholesterol, dont benefit from VIT D3 supplements

khakiman

Awards
i have 50,000IU vitamin d3. its nice only having to take one tiny capsule a week. although i do take an extra 1 if im feeling a cold come on

swoody

swoody

Awards
  • Established
So much misinformation in such a short thread. wow.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Read. Learn. Then post.
Thanks Bioman... since implimenting the advice found in this article as of a few months ago, I am FAR less depressed (depression is a direct result of not getting enough vitamin D from sunlight), immune system is up and test levels feel like it has been steadily climbing. I also have much less brain fog (result of lowered depression). KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I live in a rain forest that gets pretty nasty during the wintertime. I take roughly 4-6000IU a day and more if I feel that I may be getting sick.Less during the Summer as I get more than enough direct sunlight. Since supplementing though(Over a year now) I have not gotten sick although everyone around me on many occasions have. I was usually prone to sickness especially in the wintertime. I am a believer and a supplementer for life.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ditto Ronin. I get no sun in the winter and used to get sick 2-4 times per winter but now that's been cut to perhaps 1x per year. I take 5,000 to 15,000 iu per day. Way less seasonal depression as well. Test levels...dunno, can't afford to test.

porcha

porcha

Awards
so I should just stay outside in the sunlight more?

durr

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
so I should just stay outside in the sunlight more?

durr
Sunlight isnt the answer. There is still debate on what being "deficient" in vitamin D levels really means. A NEJM study that suggested getting sunlight or oging tanning had the main author receive funding, LOTS of funding, for him and his reasearch from tanning bed councils and companies.

More studies are being done, the data is coming in. Thery are suggesting that 2-3 minutes a day of summer sunlight would do the trick, supplementing with 800 to 1000iu a day depending on your baseline D levels should suffice, go for levels of 30 or greater.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
So do we all agree here that the RDA for vitamin D just doesn't do the trick?

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 and 24,000 iu of vitamin A daily for three months now. I haven't been getting the aches and pains I usually get during the winter months. I'm thinking about doubling both doses. Maybe next winter.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Sunlight isnt the answer. There is still debate on what being "deficient" in vitamin D levels really means. A NEJM study that suggested getting sunlight or oging tanning had the main author receive funding, LOTS of funding, for him and his reasearch from tanning bed councils and companies.

More studies are being done, the data is coming in. Thery are suggesting that 2-3 minutes a day of summer sunlight would do the trick, supplementing with 800 to 1000iu a day depending on your baseline D levels should suffice, go for levels of 30 or greater.
There is also the time you go out in the sun and where you live to consider. Gotta love Vitamin D. :ninja:

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
well, the problem about calciferol (vit d) is the manegemnt of Calcium. If you exceed the vid D dosage You are in a serius risk of a cardiac attack!
Proof? All evidence suggests vitamin D helps the calcium to go to the right places and not into your artery walls. Also, it's suggested that you should be getting 1200-2500mg calcium per day since if your calcium is low then it can be pulled from your bones.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i eat alot of organic yogurt that has d3 in it and i take 1000iu of d3 plus what ever is in my multi-v. when the clock spring forward i stop the d3 supp and get plenty of sunshine.

poisonesspimp

Awards
I have been taking 2000 iu's for around the past two years.. I just got a vitamin d test and I showed up at 32 which is at the bottom. The best thing you can do is test for it and then supplement based on your needs. 90% of people need more vitamin d or could benifit from more.. I am know supplementing with 8000 or 6000 a day.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
i do 1000 iu's during summer, 2000 iu's any other time, i work outside about 8 hours a day so i get plenty of natty vit d, plus what ever is in my multi, which is pretty low around 200 iu's i think..

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i take 4000 to 6000 iu a day, going to move it up to 10000 soon.

poisonesspimp

Awards
i do 1000 iu's during summer, 2000 iu's any other time, i work outside about 8 hours a day so i get plenty of natty vit d, plus what ever is in my multi, which is pretty low around 200 iu's i think..

Even if your outside and getting sun, that doesn't mean you will have more vitamin d, in theory you should. I used to get a lolt of sun as well and still was low in vitamin d but that was a while ago I was still supplementing then.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I take 10,000 IUs of D3 ED and try to keep my level around 65 ng. My wife who is fighting cancer takes 20,000 IUs ED with the approval of her Oncologist, Radiologist and Neuro-Surgeon here at the Shands center at U of Fl. When she took 10,000 IUs ED she could not get above the high 60's but with 20,000 ED she is close to her goal of 95 ng. Remember the farther north you live the more likely you will be D3 deficient. The old standard of 30 ng is no longer considered valid except by Big Pharma who would like to keep you sick as s**t. Canada now advises their residents to get a good 2,000 IUs ED as do other countries but that is still an awfully low level. Remember age and size decrease your ability to generate D3 via sun exposure hence the need to supplement heavily.

jucedporkchop

Awards
I take 4,000 IUs a day on top of the 800 IUs I get from my multi. If you want to see if you are deficient ask your doctor for a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. You want between 50-80 ng/ml. I got this info from the article below, I suggest reading it.

I take 5000iu ed alogn with 400iu in my multi myself.
I FEEL GREAT!!
its one of the best things iv added to my supp stack .
I been takign this higher dose of vit-D for about a year now.

jucedporkchop

Awards
I take 10,000 IUs of D3 ED and try to keep my level around 65 ng. My wife who is fighting cancer takes 20,000 IUs ED with the approval of her Oncologist, Radiologist and Neuro-Surgeon here at the Shands center at U of Fl. When she took 10,000 IUs ED she could not get above the high 60's but with 20,000 ED she is close to her goal of 95 ng. Remember the farther north you live the more likely you will be D3 deficient. [B]The old standard of 30 ng is no longer considered valid except by Big Pharma who would like to keep you sick as s**t.[/B] Canada now advises their residents to get a good 2,000 IUs ED as do other countries but that is still an awfully low level. Remember age and size decrease your ability to generate D3 via sun exposure hence the need to supplement heavily.
BUMPP BUMPP BUMPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Also, for any overweight people, they will need to take more vit. D to get the same plasma levels as a non overweight person because it's fat soluble. Best thing is to get the 25OH-D test to see where you are.

poisonesspimp

Awards
Vitamin d is considered a hormone. The more you have the more it will boost dopamine and thus testosterone along with it which is why many experience more energy. It also helps lh stay alive and working nicely. Many people that are on TRT don't respond well because they are vitamin d deficient, that right there shows how important it is and gives your hormones a longer life span basically.

lagoci

Awards
true! even those with the best diets may need to supplement. after getting bloodwork done, I was surprised to find my levels were low.