Gyno Surgery (Pre-Op Questions & Post Op Results)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh cool, how much did he quote you? Of course you don't have to say if you don't want to (or can DM me), but I'm very curious.

I was able to haggle about $1500 bucks off my final bill, which was a nice chunk of change to save, even if it did cost an arm and a leg.
No worries, he quoted me $11500, just got the quote this morning. Said I have Zone 1-3 gyno and will need excision and liposcuplting to achieve the goals I told him in my consult. How does that compare to yours? You can DM me if you prefer not to say here. You may have mentioned already I just can't remember

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Huge kudos to my amazing wife BTW!! I gotta brag about her a little bit. She got up at 5am with me and packed up the kids so she could drive me down and drop me off, and then has taken such sweet care of me after picking me up and bringing me back home. No teasing (even after peeling off my pantyhose while I laid here helpless in my girdle), no resentment, no grumbling.

She got the older kids off to school on time, has been taking care of our 21 month old the entire time, and (probably TMI but) she's been doing this all right as Aunt Flow decided to visit.

If you guys don't have a gorgeous, Christ-loving, video game playing, fellow fitness-lover in your life: go find one and marry her on the spot! I'm so blessed.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
No worries, he quoted me $11500, just got the quote this morning. Said I have Zone 1-3 gyno and will need excision and liposcuplting to achieve the goals I told him in my consult. How does that compare to yours? You can DM me if you prefer not to say here. You may have mentioned already I just can't remember
Yeah that number was pretty close to what I was able to haggle it down to AFTER the discount. My surgeon didn't talk about zone numbers but excision and lipo were definitely what I got done. So from what you've told me, my best guess is that you'd probably be on the same course that I'm on right now.

So far so good for me here. But I'll post some updates as things progress (highs, lows, in betweens) in case that helps you or others on your decision. Hyde said that I shouldn't expect to be able to see the final finished product until spring, but these days seasons seem to go by in the blink of an eye. Part of my reason for getting this done the fall was in the hopes of getting to take my shirt back off when the weather warms back up next summer.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good deal and I hope you will be very happy with the results. I think the zones may be his own system. ZOne 1 directly under nipple Zone2 is the bigger area around the nipple, zone 3 is going into the armpit and Zone 4 is having estrogen sensitive fat in the upper ab area too if I remember correctly.

His clinic is specifically a gynecomastia practice and he does about 400 a year according to his site. Had tons of good before and after shots too.

Sounds like the wife is taking good care of you. Mine has been doing that for me that last month due to my shoulder surgery. I am just now able to wash my whole body by myself. You don't realize how lucky you are to have someone until you truly need them and they show up in spades!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When you first get totake your bandages off, that is not the final product. It will be swollen, holding water from inflammation, bruising likely, fresh sutures and scars. It takes some months for the tissue to normalize.

I started training lower body 10 days or so after because my surgeon never advised otherwise, and developed a big hematoma on one pec that took months to go away as well. Turns out you have to actually take a lot of time off physical activity.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good deal and I hope you will be very happy with the results. I think the zones may be his own system. ZOne 1 directly under nipple Zone2 is the bigger area around the nipple, zone 3 is going into the armpit and Zone 4 is having estrogen sensitive fat in the upper ab area too if I remember correctly.
From the sounds of things, I indeed got a zone 2 and 3 procedure done.

His clinic is specifically a gynecomastia practice and he does about 400 a year according to his site. Had tons of good before and after shots too.
There's a doc in my area that does pretty much the same thing, but his office is about an extra 45 minutes away (not including traffic, which could add another hour+ both ways) and he charges about the same thing as my surgeon did. His before/after photos weren't nearly as impressive as I would have expected though, considering, but that could have more to do with the skinny-fat dad-bod guys who make up most of his practice (start with man boobs, finish with prepubescent chest). The couple photos of guys in mediocre shape looked decent though.

The surgeon I went with works out of the same clinic where some of my wife's family has gotten work done and my wife says that they've never complained.

Sounds like you found a good fit for you, and you'd be in expert hands.

Sounds like the wife is taking good care of you. Mine has been doing that for me that last month due to my shoulder surgery. I am just now able to wash my whole body by myself. You don't realize how lucky you are to have someone until you truly need them and they show up in spades!
Amen to that! I often say that I don't deserve her, but I don't deserve my salvation either. I'm just blessed beyond all measure, and counting every blessing.

I'm glad your shoulder recovery is going well and that you're getting some of that ROM back. Focus on that recovery and do it right so you can get back to better than normal!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
When you first get totake your bandages off, that is not the final product. It will be swollen, holding water from inflammation, bruising likely, fresh sutures and scars. It takes some months for the tissue to normalize.

I started training lower body 10 days or so after because my surgeon never advised otherwise, and developed a big hematoma on one pec that took months to go away as well. Turns out you have to actually take a lot of time off physical activity.
Aww man, this is great advice for me to hear. But at the same time:

A couple hours ago my wife was leaving the room to get back to taking care of the kids and the house and every other responsibility that I can't currently help with and she asked me, "Do you need me to bring you anything else?"

I said "Dumbbells, bring me a few dumbbells." And made some curling motions. And she barely even laughed and just said "Heh, nope!" and walked out. 🤣

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad everything went well, and sounds like your wife is doing a fantastic job being your nurse. I agree with when you find you a good woman that God puts in your life, He knows what He is doing, and hang onto her as long as you can.
Even though I don’t have gyno, I think it would be great if you kept updates in this log, because this is so beneficial for us to see the process of recovery, and all the great information can really help others.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the guy I found is definitely a top contender, however I am not done looking yet. I want to be a little leaner whenever I go to get this done so no need to hurry into it. Plus I am recovering now like you said. Happy you are doing this, if you get a chance and are willing post up some "in recovery" pics.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Day two is starting up now.

Pain is still really surprisingly low. Super happy about that. I've taken the tylenol every 4 hours (evening during the night) to try to ensure it doesn't creep in. Will be taking the next round of tylenol and celebrex in around 10 minutes, but I gotta get some food on me.

Appetite has been fine, nothing crazy, but yesterday was a lot of bed rest and sitting, so there wasn't a huge caloric demand due to moving around. I intend to get up on my feet more today. Maybe go for a walk or two just to get some steps and wake my legs up.

Sleep was tough last night, probably because I slept off and on all day yesterday. I'm going to try to nap less today to get back to my normal rhythm.

Tried to use my upper body as little as possible yesterday, I don't wanna risk stretching anything too early and bringing on real pain. I'll let the doc tell me tomorrow how far to push my upper body range of motion. Carrying limit is currently restricted to 5lb or less by docs orders as well.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Little side note: something I didn't get, that I wish I had, is a back scratcher. I keep getting little itches on my upper back, shoulders, backs of my arms, and I'm pretty helpless to do anything about it (esp if everyone else is asleep, no way am I waking my tired, sleeping wife to ask her to scratch my arm).

I actually got out of bed and went to the dining room, kneeled down by the corner of the table, and relieved the itching on my arm and shoulder. Not my proudest moment but boy it felt good. If I had a back scratcher I'd take it with me everywhere right now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Little side note: something I didn't get, that I wish I had, is a back scratcher. I keep getting little itches on my upper back, shoulders, backs of my arms, and I'm pretty helpless to do anything about it (esp if everyone else is asleep, no way am I waking my tired, sleeping wife to ask her to scratch my arm).

I actually got out of bed and went to the dining room, kneeled down by the corner of the table, and relieved the itching on my arm and shoulder. Not my proudest moment but boy it felt good. If I had a back scratcher I'd take it with me everywhere right now.
You can probably find one to have delivered today on Amazon if you really want one. Good to hear the pain level is still pretty low.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Lol I can tell you’ve never been as heavy as me - I’ve got a handful of doorways and cabinets all over the house I routinely use to scratch my back, like a cat would grind up on a post 🤣

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol I can tell you’ve never been as heavy as me - I’ve got a handful of doorways and cabinets all over the house I routinely use to scratch my back, like a cat would grind up on a post 🤣
That is exactly what I was thinking and have done a few times since my shoulder surgery. You would think I was a bear on a tree!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's pretty much what I felt like I was doing, and you're right, heaviest I've ever been was 202, and that was stretched out over my 6'2" frame, so very far from menacing.

One of the best compliments I ever received though, was late last year. One of my friend's kids (probably 4 years old) came up to me and asked if I was a football player. Kid's obviously never seen a pro football player in person, but he saw them on TV and associated that level of muscularity with me. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's pretty much what I felt like I was doing, and you're right, heaviest I've ever been was 202, and that was stretched out over my 6'2" frame, so very far from menacing.

One of the best compliments I ever received though, was late last year. One of my friend's kids (probably 4 years old) came up to me and asked if I was a football player. Kid's obviously never seen a pro football player in person, but he saw them on TV and associated that level of muscularity with me. 🤣🤣
Yeah my brother grows these giant pumpkins annually for competition/show. He told me my nephews asked if I could come over to move them by myself, because they think I’m the world’s strongest man 🤣

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Day 3:

Sleep was restless both last night and tonight. I have to sleep on my back at a 30 degree incline. Normally I sleep on my side or on my stomach, so sleeping on my back is always a challenge for me. Falling asleep the first time is fine, but when I wake up in the middle of the night (usually cause of hunger) I have a tough time going back to sleep.

Couple of things I didn't mention previously:

I gained a few pounds. The doc said I could expect to gain around 5 lbs (fluid build up following surgery) and so far that's true. Weighed in at 200 yesterday and 201 this morning. Was 195 the morning of the surgery.

I have two drains that were installed after the surgery, I don't know if I ever mentioned them. They are basically lines running from my arm pits to two hanging squeeze bottles that have been collecting excess fluid from my chest. We've had to empty and measure the fluid that each of them collects every 12 hours since the surgery. My understanding is that they help reduce the swelling, which is probably a major contributor to my comfort level/lack of pain. I have my first follow up appointment about 2 hours from now, drains should be getting removed then.

As far as pain goes, there has been hardly any at all. I kept expecting some pain to show up as the anesthesia wore off but it never really arrived. I've only taken tylenol and celebrex throughout, never touched the percocet (aka oxy), and I'm so thankful for that. It's a big answer to prayer for me actually, so all glory to God for showing me that mercy.

Gingerly increasing my mobility, and it's slowly improving as I test things out. I'm just trying to ease into everything so I don't go and do something dumb to cause myself actual pain, or slow down the healing process by busting a stitch or anything.

Excited for my appointment and getting these little bags off my hips. Will probably post another update after the appointment with how things go and what the doc has to say.

I miss the weights though, my garage is calling to me all throughout the day...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did not have drains, so it will be interesting to see how that affects things.

Celebrex is powerful. It helped my dad manage chronic back/nerve pain for many years reliably. If you discontinue it and find pain waiting, just know it will be temporary & you needn’t fear it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like things are going well. Looking forward to the update after the appt.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Got back from the appointment a little while ago. They removed the drains, pinched a little when they did that but otherwise no big deal. Got to take a first look in the mirror. Still some swelling, and surprisingly still some numbness that I hadn't expected when the skin was touched. Not sure if that means I'll have more pain when that wears off, or what, but I'll cross that bridge if it happens.

Things look good. No sign of infection or any problems. I go back in 2 days for another follow up. In the mean time they say to just keep doing what I'm doing, take tylenol as needed and take the celebrex til it runs out (not sure how many are left, I'm guessing maybe 18 or so?). I might try going without the tylenol to see if I even need it at all at this point.

Instructed to try to use my arms as little as possible for the rest of this week, but we had already planned for that, so that doesn't mess us up at all.

Gonna nap while the baby naps, if I can get my brain to shut up for a bit and let me sleep.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nap went long, 3 hours in fact. Feel like a million bucks. Gonna try to go without the tylenol and see how that feels, since now is when I'd be taking another pill.

I miss the weights though.:cautious::sneaky::LOL:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nap went long, 3 hours in fact. Feel like a million bucks. Gonna try to go without the tylenol and see how that feels, since now is when I'd be taking another pill.

I miss the weights though.:cautious::sneaky::LOL:
Yeah, but that is temporary, you know what is pretty permanent is the fact you won't miss your gyno! Try to focus on that!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of investments when I told my wife I had decided this was happening in the next year she was a little like Oh no, but at the same time knows how much that has affected me for as long as she has known me. So she gets it and even though I could tell it wasn't her idea of what she would want the money spent on she understands that is is horribly negative effect on my sense of well being. So she is willing to be supportive of it regardless. Just a matter of making it happen. I need to drop a bit more fat, find the right doctor and go for it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of investments when I told my wife I had decided this was happening in the next year she was a little like Oh no, but at the same time knows how much that has affected me for as long as she has known me. So she gets it and even though I could tell it wasn't her idea of what she would want the money spent on she understands that is is horribly negative effect on my sense of well being. So she is willing to be supportive of it regardless. Just a matter of making it happen. I need to drop a bit more fat, find the right doctor and go for it.
It’s something that makes sense to do sooner rather than years from now. Start enjoying your body sooner.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's awesome bro. That's one thing I miss about my wife the most is having my back and being supportive to things that that knows are important to me. If it was important to me than it was important to her and vice versa

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I certainly don't regret the decision right now. It's almost like a forced deload for a few weeks and a little discomfort, but I've already gotten a look at what's under the vest and I'm sure that once the swelling is gone and the scars fade from view that I'm gonna be happy with the results.

Added bonus, I've beeb dealing with some nasty, annoying tendonitis in my elbows (esp the left one recently, right elbows been getting better on its own) over the last few months. The elbow is already starting to feel a ton better having only missed 2 upper body workouts so far, so I have a feeling that I'm gonna be really ready to push the weights when I'm cleared to move iron, but this time I want to really make sure I maximize gains by picking the absolute most optimal weights, sets, and reps, and not just push everything to failure (and beyond with cheat reps and 5 sec negatives) like crazy; and in doing so: not destroy my joints like I have been!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep after down time / deconditioning starting low and getting in as many incremental improvements as possible is the best way to get the size moving. You can end up growing a decent bit off of the lower weights as long as not in a huge hurry to regain strength. If hypertrophy is the goal the more points of adaptation you can create the better. Now if you are in it for strength then obviously that changes the approach a bit. With hypertrophy you could get away with not bringing in cheats, or drop sets for a mesocycle or two and still make great progress then add them in and make some more.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep after down time / deconditioning starting low and getting in as many incremental improvements as possible is the best way to get the size moving. You can end up growing a decent bit off of the lower weights as long as not in a huge hurry to regain strength. If hypertrophy is the goal the more points of adaptation you can create the better. Now if you are in it for strength then obviously that changes the approach a bit. With hypertrophy you could get away with not bringing in cheats, or drop sets for a mesocycle or two and still make great progress then add them in and make some more.
Yeah, hypertrophy is always the goal with me. I intend to spend a good amount of this recovery time prepping ny next phase of training and fixing the stuff that wasn't appropriate for my goals.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Day 4:

Not a ton new to report really. I feel like I have a little more mobility than yesterday, range of motion feels a little less restricted. I'm guessing the swelling might have gone down a little to account for that.

Haven't had tylenol all day, and last part of yesterday, and can't tell any difference. So unless something changes in the pain department I'm done with that. Doc said to take the celebrex til I run out (I think I have about 5 days worth left of that).

Sleep is still annoying. Wake up in the middle of the night, get restless, do something for a few hours, then go back to bed and pass out for a few more hours. I miss being able to sleep on my side. I got a bunch of work done though while the rest of the family was still snoozing though, so I have a really lite work load ahead of me the rest of the day now.

Anyways, yeah that's it. Tomorrow I go back in for another follow up appointment and then just try and take it easy this weekend. Smooth sailing at this point.

Bodock

Bodock

Awards
  • Established
Hope you heal well. The swelling and scar tissue hopefully will not be too bad.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had my second follow up appointment today. Things look good. Swelling is going down. They're telling me that I should wear the vest for one more week, then it can come off (my wife says it looks like I'm wearing a bullet proof vest beneath my shirts :ROFLMAO:).

They said I can move my arms freely now, but I feel a little stiff so I'm doing that gingerly still. I'm still restricted to how much weight I'm allowed to lift (5lbs), but necessity sometimes requires that I lift more. I just make sure not to move quickly or take on anything that's actually heavy. On Monday the allowance increases to 10 lbs.

Next appointment is in a week on Friday. I will avoid working out before then if I can control myself... but I'm really dying to get some work in, even if it's just body weight leg stuff. :unsure::giggle:

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yea I was gonna say can't you do body weight squats or something? I wouldn't even be able to sleep anymore at this point if I were you with no work or gym I would be losing my mind

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yea I was gonna say can't you do body weight squats or something? I wouldn't even be able to sleep anymore at this point if I were you with no work or gym I would be losing my mind
Yeah, you feel me right?

It has been really rough. I did work from home, so I had that to occupy me, and I got to spend a lot of extra time with my wife and kids, which was great. Slept more than usual, which I needed.

My chest has felt like any odd movement could potentially cause something to rip or tear or stretch painfully, so that has kept me from doing anything dumb. The last thing I want to do is set myself back and have to spend even more time recovering.

At this point, I expect to be back to full time lifting before the 6 week mark, and I am really looking forward to getting some type of work out going again. I know the time will go by before I know it, and my tendonitis is clearing up in the meantime.

So, basically, I have no real reason to complain, I have been blessed constantly during and since the surgery.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do not work out next week. Like I said, I waited like 8 or 10 days and limited my work to something like a plate and a half or something easy for me on the safety bar, being very careful/ginger and trying to just do tempo stuff to get some leg stimulation. I developed a golf ball-sized hematoma under one of my nipples for like 4 months; it was massive and much worse than the gyno until it finally broke up and dispersed.

Seriously, I would find a temporary project of some kind. Go to a game shop and buy some models to paint, or order a giant Lego model to build, a hardcore jigsaw puzzle, whatever. Commit to re-reading the entire Bible cover to cover. Get creative.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do not work out next week. Like I said, I waited like 8 or 10 days and limited my work to something like a plate and a half or something easy for me on the safety bar, being very careful/ginger and trying to just do tempo stuff to get some leg stimulation. I developed a golf ball-sized hematoma under one of my nipples for like 4 months; it was massive and much worse than the gyno until it finally broke up and dispersed.

Seriously, I would find a temporary project of some kind. Go to a game shop and buy some models to paint, or order a giant Lego model to build, a hardcore jigsaw puzzle, whatever. Commit to re-reading the entire Bible cover to cover. Get creative.
All great ideas, and I've no doubt this is very sage advice.

We have so much going on the next few weeks that staying busy and preoccupied shouldn't be much of a challenge. 😁

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yea @Hyde is right (as usual) you're just gonna have to ride this one out. It'll be over soon and then everything will be even better which was the whole point of this procedure. You spent a lot of time and money planning this along with your family so you don't wanna screw it up right at the end

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Felt better this morning than I have since the surgery. My weight also went down by 4 lbs, which I think indicates the swelling is still coming down. I'm basically back to my starting weight.

It's hard looking in the mirror and not convincing myself that my muscles are wasting away and everything I eat is just being converted to fat that the vest is just holding in from spilling out.

Body dismorphia, amirite? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Felt better this morning than I have since the surgery. My weight also went down by 4 lbs, which I think indicates the swelling is still coming down. I'm basically back to my starting weight.

It's hard looking in the mirror and not convincing myself that my muscles are wasting away and everything I eat is just being converted to fat that the vest is just holding in from spilling out.

Body dismorphia, amirite? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Lol...so true started cardio last week and everyone i get home from the gym I look at myself and say well there goes all the muscle you put on the last 8 months which I know is not true but you know how it is

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The beauty of it is since you’ve been there before, when your able to workout, what you already had attained will be much easier to get back to, because of muscle memory.
And it sounds like some other nagging injuries may be healing as well, which will all lead to better training and results in the future.
The hardest thing for most in working out is patience, whether their a newbie or seasoned vet, but in the end trusting the plan, as Hyde put it, and each process along the way, will allow you to appreciate each little victory until you reach your goals.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In both of the above scenarios, you’ve got to trust the plan!
Absolutely I know it'll be worth it for the goals i have set abs there's is nothing and I mean nothing i can't stand more in the gym is that guy who everytime you talk to him has switched from bulking to cutting the same guy who poses or takes pics after every set of every workout and you can see how frustrated he is but he won't listen to anyone who tells him how to actually achieve what he's trying to do

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm super thankful to get all the advice and reinforcement, in regards to being patient, being smart, and playing the long game here. I've felt great all day, so much so that I expect if I hadn't had this advice I'd probably have done something dumb and gone out to the gym and risked setting myself back.

I'm itching to get back out there, but I know it'll be worth the wait once I do.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm super thankful to get all the advice and reinforcement, in regards to being patient, being smart, and playing the long game here. I've felt great all day, so much so that I expect if I hadn't had this advice I'd probably have done something dumb and gone out to the gym and risked setting myself back.

I'm itching to get back out there, but I know it'll be worth the wait once I do.
You have to ask yourself, is this piddly workout potentially worth losing $11,000?

The answer is: no, it is not.

And you are not doing nothing; you’re actively healing up nagging issues so when you do go back to training your body is fresh and primed to regain lost ground quickly.

I am finishing week 2 of no barbell or spinal compression for a month. I’m about to go do stupid machine things for shoulders or something. I really would like to be benching or squatting. But I will trade that satisfaction now, for the healthy foundation I need to PR those things again in half a year or whatever. THAT will make this worth it, many times over.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Day 8:

Feeling the best I have yet this morning. Still some numbness in my chest near the scars (sides of nipples), but nothing too crazy. I took off the vest to clean up a bit and noticed there's definitely some asymmetry between the two sides (the pecs don't quite look the same as far as shape goes, and one nipple is a bit indented compared to the other one). My guess is that there's still swelling causing quite a bit of this, and it also may be because people aren't perfect and maybe a little more got lipo'd from one spot on one side than the other. There's also tape over the stitches on the nipples that my be causing the indentation of the one in comparison to the other. I'm trusting that things will even out over time as the swelling goes down.

Even with the swelling that I assume is still there, my chest is notably smaller in appearance than it was. I've never had a particularly strong looking set of pecs anyways, and some of that fatty tissue was probably just masquerading as muscle the whole time, so now that it's gone/reduced, I'll have to build a proper set of pecs if I want to have a powerful looking chest. I'm fine with that, especially now that I have the resources and knowledge to really focus my hypertrophy training and diet to maximize growth where I want it. I intend to implement more chest specific work in my program once I get back to lifting in order to prioritize this.

Went back to work today. Lots to do, even though I worked from home last week, it's not the same as being at the job site and able to walk and talk to the crew.

Glad to be getting back in the routine.

I've been told the vest will come off when I go in for my appointment on Friday. As long as I don't need it anymore, that's certainly fine by me. It's annoying but most of the day I forget it's even there. If I was told I had to wear it 5 more weeks, I would, but I don't expect they'll say that. The worst is at night, when it itches or digs into the skin and there's nothing to disctract me from it.

Probably the worst part about trying to sleep right now is still sleeping on my back at an incline. I'm going to check w my surgeon today and ask if I can go back to my normal sleeping position (sides and stomach) and see what she says.