Fasting and making it work

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey all,

I’ve seen a lot of people doing Intermittent Fasting recently and I think it’s great. I started about a month and a half ago. I figured I’d tell a little of my story and what I’ve learned.

I’ve had issues with carbs, and sugar my whole life and never really realized it. As I got older I started noticing that I’d wake up almost hungover if I ate a carb heavy meal for dinner or had dessert. It was getting worse by the year and early last month I had a conversation with a fitness nerd friend of mine (who’s REALLY in to Ben Greenfield). Long-short, being a middle European white guy with a big build, I’m probably a higher percentage Neanderthal by genes. Hence, fasting and fat are my friend. At first I balked, but after thinking about it, what could I lose?

So I started fasting. My initial numbers were 215 lbs and 15.1% BF. I still follow my macros through this whole experience.

The first 3 days were rough. Really rough. I drank black coffee and salted green tea (hunger can be attributed to the body’s desire for salt) to satiate myself. But then, it stopped. And it got easier. Then my performance at the gym vastly improved. I do CrossFit (Hold eyerolls please). I was getting the best times on workouts that would have been too difficult in the recent past. Muscles were getting bigger and more vascular. My girlfriend even asked if I was on a cycle!

Eventually I was able to transition into Warrior Fasting M-Sat at 5pm, then back on the horse at 9 pm Sunday night. Also, I started doing Keto on the Warrior fast days because it was easy to do. I am still able to get my macros in the 4 hours. Meat, veggies, nuts, butter, and MCT oil are my cornerstones. So, basically, I am in a fasted or ketogenic state for 4-5 days at time and let my body enjoy the fruits of its labor on the weekend.

I personally think everyone should do it as a way of developing discipline, staying focused, and improving your overall performance. It’s fundamentally changed how I view food and allows me to live the dietary life that humans, as animals have, for hundreds of thousands of years.

Now....for some proof...
B5DD744B-46F5-4E3F-8BFB-8168E7901F1F.jpg

85177C14-3610-4016-BF3D-379EBE45FC4F.jpg

I have no vested interest in what you do and don’t sell any products associated with fasting or health & fitness as a whole. I just wanted to put my story out there because I know it’s changed my life.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve been doing some consistent intermittent fasting for about two months and I am shocked at the results from it. I lost some strentgh, so I cut back the amount of sessions and volume for the muscle groups I was most concerned about. For me chest. But man it has been an eye opener. I will say that now that I’m getting leaner I may change my approach a little. I think it’s a great tool though!