Supplements - Do They Break Intermittent Fasting?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
With the exception of fat based supplements (such as fish oil) and things such as protein/collagen peptides, do supplements "generally" break a fast? I am thinking of standard supplements such as Carnitine, ALCAR, Citrulline Malate, etc. I don't believe they do, but want to make sure I am not inadvertently breaking my IF.

Asked differently, I understand that any time you introduce calories, you are breaking a fast (although many people, such as Huberman, recognize that certain minimal calories may or may not break a fast, depending on when, what and what amount is consumed - for example he has said that one gram of sugar would break a fast, but one peanut "probably wouldn't" - his summary - not mine).

So - does anyone have an opinion on the caloric values of the types of supplements I mentioned above or to the extent these supplements cause an insulin response (meaning, increase)?

Last edited:

kira1357

Awards
I think it would be so minuscule that you would go back into fasted mode very quickly - probably not worth worrying about

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
With the exception of fat based supplements (such as fish oil) and things such as protein/collagen peptides, do supplements "generally" break a fast? I am thinking of standard supplements such as Carnitine, ALCAR, Citrulline Malate, etc. I don't believe they do, but want to make sure I am not inadvertently breaking my IF.

Asked differently, I understand that any time you introduce calories, you are breaking a fast (although many people, such as Huberman, recognize that certain minimal calories may or may not break a fast, depending on when, what and what amount is consumed - for example he has said that one gram of sugar would break a fast, but one peanut "probably wouldn't" - his summary - not mine).

So - does anyone have an opinion on the caloric values of the types of supplements I mentioned above or to the extent these supplements cause an insulin response (meaning, increase)?
I've looked into this before also, and from what I gathered, what mattered the most is if whatever your taking or consuming causes an insulin response which is what would be detrimental.

Anyone else feel free to correct me but that's what my limited understanding research led me to.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think it really depends on why you are worried and what you think it would negate by "breaking a fast", but regardless of that kind of thought process there really shouldn't be much concern with those you listed.

Some things probably would be better taken with food though, if thinking in the opposite direction.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long do you fast? Like others have said, what is your goal?

If your goal is therapeutic autophagy on a 3+ day fast then I would avoid supplements (other than electrolytes)

If you’re doing intermittent then just take them when you eat or not worry about the timing at all. Fat and protein/aminos acids would break fast.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
All,

Thanks. I am doing IF on an 18/6 schedule. My goal, really, is to just to maximize the benefit of the non-feeding hours. While I am not being super vigilant, if I am going to (continue to) do it, I would like to do it so that it maximizes benefit. For some time -- I have used a morning supplement stack that I take on an empty stomach and, based on your feedback, I am going to continue doing that. I take fish oil (a lot of it, too) with food and will start taking collagen peptides prior to food, but during the feeding period.

Also, what has prompted all of this is that I want a better nutritional plan and am trying to avoid or minimize the likelihood of heart disease, inflammation, liver and kidney issues - as a preventative steps. I've eliminated (as much as possible) sugar and refined carbs/highly processed foods, drink only very occasionally, and have been eating plenty of protein, healthy fat and selecting carbs (targeted at 25 to 30 grams per day) based on how they will positively influence my gut health (etc.) and that are relatively low on the glycemic index.

Its been working. Without trying too hard, I've dropped 13 lbs, with more to follow.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wouldn't the fish oil be the highest calorie supplement? There's like 10-20 calories per cap in most basic fish oil caps. I don't think it's a big deal but I know some ppl say any calories will break the fast

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wouldn't the fish oil be the highest calorie supplement? There's like 10-20 calories per cap in most basic fish oil caps. I don't think it's a big deal but I know some ppl say any calories will break the fast
I believe they are and that they will break a fast - and for that reason I only take fish oil (and D3) with food.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Ya I've wondered this about BCAA's EAA's as there is an insulin spike, but never thought supps would break the fast. Do you guys think the spike is worth the anti catabolic effect?

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya I've wondered this about BCAA's EAA's as there is an insulin spike, but never thought supps would break the fast. Do you guys think the spike is worth the anti catabolic effect?
I think it depends on why you are doing the fast, and for how long.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All,

Thanks. I am doing IF on an 18/6 schedule. My goal, really, is to just to maximize the benefit of the non-feeding hours. While I am not being super vigilant, if I am going to (continue to) do it, I would like to do it so that it maximizes benefit. For some time -- I have used a morning supplement stack that I take on an empty stomach and, based on your feedback, I am going to continue doing that. I take fish oil (a lot of it, too) with food and will start taking collagen peptides prior to food, but during the feeding period.

Also, what has prompted all of this is that I want a better nutritional plan and am trying to avoid or minimize the likelihood of heart disease, inflammation, liver and kidney issues - as a preventative steps. I've eliminated (as much as possible) sugar and refined carbs/highly processed foods, drink only very occasionally, and have been eating plenty of protein, healthy fat and selecting carbs (targeted at 25 to 30 grams per day) based on how they will positively influence my gut health (etc.) and that are relatively low on the glycemic index.

Its been working. Without trying too hard, I've dropped 13 lbs, with more to follow.
Congrats on the weight loss and changes in your lifestyle and weight!

I wouldn't over think it, with that style of fasting, training and nutrition it sounds like you are on the right track and getting all the benefits you are looking for. :)

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Always wondered this and erred on the side of caution. Might break my rule of thumb and sip on some aminos. Sipping on them should help minimize the insulin spike if there is one.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Congrats on the weight loss and changes in your lifestyle and weight!

I wouldn't over think it, with that style of fasting, training and nutrition it sounds like you are on the right track and getting all the benefits you are looking for. :)
Thank you for your very generous and supportive comments. Without elaborating too much, a few months ago I decided to put myself back in the starting line up, after having been hit with a couple of setbacks that sort of put me into the "back seat" emotionally (e.g., my executive position was eliminated when the publically traded company I worked for (for a LONG time) was acquired by another company). Those setbacks have been dealt with and now, rather than just treat the symptoms of less than ideal medical results, I want to deal with the root causes and eliminate them. It feels good to see some of the results of having made constructive changes.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
EAA and BCAA break a fast. anything other than water, including gum, and zero calorie drinks etc. Depending on how long the fast is you could consider adding sodium, potassium and magnesium to your water or take as pills. I'd advise against hydration powders that also contain sweeteners as **** if even they are zero cal. breaks a fast, some say black coffee does not, but its gross so whatever.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
black coffee does not, but its gross so whatever.
Agreed! I have to have either creamer or protein powder in my coffee. Can't drink it just black.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that others have pretty well answered the questions in the thread.

I just wanted to say congratulations on your progress and weight loss.

In general, fasting means different things to different people. A lot of people here are more strict and hardcore about it than others, and there's no right or wrong either way. I think it just depends on desired goals and how strict someone wants to be.