Electronic Body Fat Meter??

way2slickrick

way2slickrick

Awards
Has anyone ever tried the elctronic body fat meter? What are yalls thought of accuracy? Oh and im talking about the ones where you hold imput your weight height etc., then hold both grips and it tells you your body fat percentage, just wunna know if anyone has tried these before and if they work.

Last edited:
UndiluteD

UndiluteD

Awards
Yea i use one at my local gym, used it a couple of times i know there not 100% accurate but a good estimator. It depends on time of day what your eaten ect. But if it says your 14% id say its accurate to a degree so your anywhere from 13-15%. But still good to measure progress. I started off at 14% and now im down to 8% yet i still got a bit of fat on me and no 6 pack so i dont know how accurate it is.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone ever tried the elctronic body fat meter? What are yalls thought of accuracy? Oh and im talking about the ones where you hold imput your weight height etc., then hold both grips and it tells you your body fat percentage, just wunna know if anyone has tried these before and if they work.
I have said it before. BIA scales or handheld BIA devices are the most INaccurate way to get your bodyfat (BF) tested, since they're out by up to 10% BF, and too many variables (i.e. hydration levels, when last ate, when last trained, time of day, temperature of body, etc.) can affect the reading. It would only be useful if you used it to get a baseline and then used it to gauge progress, but in the exact same condition (i.e. re food and hydration and training, etc.) and at the exact same time each time (i.e. time of day, etc.), to get any idea of whether you were making any or not. Remember to only use it as a GUIDE and do not take the reading as a given as being what your body composition is.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I have said it before. BIA scales or handheld BIA devices are the most INaccurate way to get your bodyfat (BF) tested, since they're out by up to 10% BF, and too many variables (i.e. hydration levels, when last ate, when last trained, time of day, temperature of body, etc.) can affect the reading. It would only be useful if you used it to get a baseline and then used it to gauge progress, but in the exact same condition (i.e. re food and hydration and training, etc.) and at the exact same time each time (i.e. time of day, etc.), to get any idea of whether you were making any or not. Remember to only use it as a GUIDE and do not take the reading as a given as being what your body composition is.
Ditto. BIA measurements are next to worthless unless the conditions are perfect each and every time. Progress pictures are much more useful.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
These posts are all right about the lack of accuracy, and variation varies further by the quality of the reader. Most of them have a variance of 3-5%, which is not a good measure of course, but at least can give you a ballpark estimate. Some, meanwhile, have a variance up to 7-8%, and can give you completely the wrong impression.

If you are going to use one of these, you obviously need to be aware of the lack of accuracy, and not take the results to seriously. Additionally, pay close attention to when you take it. It is supposed to measure water retention in the muscles, so if you are dehydrated it will say you have higher BF then you really do. In other words, take it before a workout, not after, and give your body time to adjust to the temperature wherever you are.

way2slickrick

way2slickrick

Awards
ahhh ok thanx a bunch, so what would i use or what is the most accurate way to get the best reading? if its a tool where do i get it?

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
there arnt really any good tools for regular use. The best strategy is taking your weight while in the water, but this is expensive and requires a lot of special equipment, which is hard to find.

Measuring skin folds with a clamp is the most reliable way to do it without water weighing. If your do this, look it up on google and you can find some calculators once you put in your measurements. Also, make sure you get the skin folds from teh same places each time, to keep the readings as accurate as possible.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ahhh ok thanx a bunch, so what would i use or what is the most accurate way to get the best reading? if its a tool where do i get it?
You can't really get a "tool" to get a best reading. Especially not to do YOURSELF.

The golden standard for measuring body composition is underwater weighting. However, this is impractical and expensive for the general person (ACSM, 2005).

The next best thing is to have skinfolds done. Make sure that you get at LEAST 6-8 skinfolds done, and by a QUALIFIED anthropometrist (i.e. ISAK), as it IS a precise thing. Once skinfolds are taken, there are equations that are used based on sex, that will give you a fairly accurate (I say fairly accurate, because, depending on who does it, the error of estimate can be out by up to 3% BF) idea of where you are at re body composition. Skinfolds should be taken from: biceps brachii, subscapular, triceps brachii, iliac crest, supraspinale, abdominal, thigh, and calf. Before any skinfolds are taken you should be measured and marked, and when they are taken, at least TWO readings should be done (taken in order of skinfolds (i.e. biceps to calf), not one after the other on the same site); if whomever is doing it does NOT do any of that, and just picks up skin at a site and takes a measurement, then that measurement is going to be wrong and their final "reading" of your body composition will be far from accurate. As with any other measurements, you should be measured in as close to the same condition (i.e. time of day, before training (never after training, as when you're training your temperature increases, and thus increases the thickness of the skinfolds), at least 2 hours after food, and in the same hydrated condition, etc.), so that comparisons can be made accurately between measurements (ACSM, 2005).

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I've never used this method but I've heard of several people that have. You can do a 3 or 4 site skin caliper test on yourself. Since you are the one doing it each time you know it was done the same way as the previous time. It's not the most accurate but it will give you and idea of the changes in your body fat level. IMO it's not that important that you know you've done from 17% to 15% body fat. The important part is that you know your body fat is going down.

way2slickrick

way2slickrick

Awards
I've never used this method but I've heard of several people that have. You can do a 3 or 4 site skin caliper test on yourself. Since you are the one doing it each time you know it was done the same way as the previous time. It's not the most accurate but it will give you and idea of the changes in your body fat level. IMO it's not that important that you know you've done from 17% to 15% body fat. The important part is that you know your body fat is going down.
o ok, so is there like an equation formula i gotta follow once i get the measurements? like i know i wont get super accurate results but im jus really curious on to what my % is

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I have one of those bathroom kitchen type step on and weigh you and tell you your bodyfat %. It was on sale for $14, regularly $60.

Says I'm 21% bf. That's me in my avatar, albeit last summer.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
o ok, so is there like an equation formula i gotta follow once i get the measurements? like i know i wont get super accurate results but im jus really curious on to what my % is
It depends on WHAT skinfolds you took. There are equations for 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 skinfold measurements, and each varies, depending on the sites skinfolds are taken from.

I have one of those bathroom kitchen type step on and weigh you and tell you your bodyfat %. It was on sale for $14, regularly $60.

They're the most INaccurate thing you could use. They're BIA as well, but only send the electric current through the LOWER half of your body. As with all BIA devices hydration levels, etc. all apply with regards to accuracy.

Well, you're NOT 21% in that avatar. I'd say ~6% BF.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established

Holy sh!t... That's really off... I'd say you're at least 25%..... :lol:

way2slickrick

way2slickrick

Awards
It depends on WHAT skinfolds you took. There are equations for 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 skinfold measurements, and each varies, depending on the sites skinfolds are taken from.

o ok, and where do i get these equations from or wut website i meen

Holy sh!t... That's really off... I'd say you're at least 25%..... :lol:
hmm u think thats why it might have been $16??

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
o ok, and where do i get these equations from or wut website i meen
There's probably websites that have them somewhere.

I would go to a library and get out the following book: American College of Sports Medicine [ACSM]. (2005). ACSM’s health-related physical fitness manual. United States of America: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. It has them all in (and then some, and explains everything).

The skinfolds used for equations are:

L.I.N.Z. 4-site: triceps + subscapular + supraspinale + calf
L.I.N.Z 6-site: triceps + subscapular + supraspinale + abdominal + thigh + calf

I use the 6-site equation for my ISAK anthropometry (although I DO take 8 skinfolds).

The equations are:

Males: [(Sum of 6 skinfolds) x 0.1548] + 3.58 = % bodyfat
Females: [(Sum of 6 skinfolds) x 0.1051] + 2.588 = % bodyfat

You'll notice that even though females may have the SAME sum of 6 skinfolds as a male their % bodyfat will ALWAYS be higher than the male, simply because they have more essential bodyfat than males (and the equations take this into account). However, at a sum of 6 skinfolds, a female is really as lean, if not leaner than a male at the same sum.

But just think of how much money I saved - a ton of money by buying that scale, and a ton more from all the food I couldn't buy because I was fat!
Hmm, you may have saved money, but the money you spent was a waste of money. (And regardless of weight/size, you can still buy food).

way2slickrick

way2slickrick

Awards
But just think of how much money I saved - a ton of money by buying that scale, and a ton more from all the food I couldn't buy because I was fat!
seriously bro, did u just say ur fat?? im not bieng mean but dude why would u sey ur fat wen it looks like ur barely have any body fat

There's probably websites that have them somewhere.

I would go to a library and get out the following book: American College of Sports Medicine [ACSM]. (2005). ACSM’s health-related physical fitness manual. United States of America: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. It has them all in (and then some, and explains everything).

The skinfolds used for equations are:

L.I.N.Z. 4-site: triceps + subscapular + supraspinale + calf
L.I.N.Z 6-site: triceps + subscapular + supraspinale + abdominal + thigh + calf

I use the 6-site equation for my ISAK anthropometry (although I DO take 8 skinfolds).

The equations are:

Males: [(Sum of 6 skinfolds) x 0.1548] + 3.58 = % bodyfat
Females: [(Sum of 6 skinfolds) x 0.1051] + 2.588 = % bodyfat

You'll notice that even though females may have the SAME sum of 6 skinfolds as a male their % bodyfat will ALWAYS be higher than the male, simply because they have more essential bodyfat than males (and the equations take this into account). However, at a sum of 6 skinfolds, a female is really as lean, if not leaner than a male at the same sum.

Hmm, you may have saved money, but the money you spent was a waste of money. (And regardless of weight/size, you can still buy food).
thanks again guejsn u rock :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Last edited:
Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
seriously bro, did u just say ur fat?? im not bieng mean but dude why would u sey ur fat wen it looks like ur barely have any body fat

thanks again guejsn u rock :You_Rock_Emoticon:
Maybe he's fishing for compliments (males do it as well as females) :D

No worries. Got to set you boys straight somehow :p

jkproperties

Awards
I think it is very inacurate.
The best way is to use a caliper

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I think it is very inacurate.
The best way is to use a caliper
The best way is one of those water displacement tests or whatever they are... ive only heard about them... never done one!

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
No - not saying I'm fat nor fishing for compliments (although they're always appreciated). That was just my way of saying that the bodyfat measurement on my scale does NOT work, as I think I was at 9%-10% there IMO.

I also didn't really buy less food either - that was just sarcasm.

I've used calipers before for curiosity sake. Truth is - I just judge by what's in the mirror now.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best way is one of those water displacement tests or whatever they are... ive only heard about them... never done one!
That has been established. However it is also very expensive and inconvenient and impractical for most people. Calipers by a qualified anthropometrist is the next best thing for accuracy.

I've used calipers before for curiosity sake. Truth is - I just judge by what's in the mirror now.
Those of use who know what our body looks like at different % BF can do that, since we will know 'markers' of when we reach a certain level of BF. Knowing what different body compositions look like on different individuals (re height) also helps in guesstimating others' % BF. However, not everyone can do that, and so having an anthropometry test is the best way of knowing.