EAA/BCAA vs Whey Protein Question

ChilledFaith

Awards
So I’m trying to learn more about supplements and how they work in general. I am trying to figure out the difference between whey protein, and EAA’s. I’m looking at the new prosynthesis-17 product coming out and never quite understood this. I realize that protein has a more “complete” amino acid profile (as well as takes longer to digest), but why would anyone want protein if EAA’s equate to the same thing, but are generally cheaper and lower calorie (unless you want to bulk). Hopefully this makes sense. I’m sure it’s a pretty basic question, just never really thought to ask it.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You already kind of answered it. The completeness is a big part of it. Same reason why I try rotate protein sources throughout the day. Most amino products lack certain amino acids, pro synthesis 17 being an exception. But cost used to be a big thing. Prices on aminos are getting better, but more from better dosing at similar prices than lower prices. Used to be 30 servings of 5g of BCAAs was like $40. There’s also nutrition. Consuming isolated aminos doesn’t provide any vitamins or minerals like you’d get from whole food sources. Satiety is another consideration. I’d be starving all day trying to use shakes for nutrition. You also have to remember that increasing lean body mass takes increasing protein synthesis, but also reducing protein breakdown. Sustained blood amino acid levels are better for the latter. Whole food are much better at that.

Sorry, that was a little all over the place, I’m on break at work just typing as I think.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So I’m trying to learn more about supplements and how they work in general. I am trying to figure out the difference between whey protein, and EAA’s. I’m looking at the new prosynthesis-17 product coming out and never quite understood this. I realize that protein has a more “complete” amino acid profile (as well as takes longer to digest), but why would anyone want protein if EAA’s equate to the same thing, but are generally cheaper and lower calorie (unless you want to bulk). Hopefully this makes sense. I’m sure it’s a pretty basic question, just never really thought to ask it.
It can be very confusing.

To keep it simple and non-scientific - EAA's are not a substitute for protein in my opinion.

Whey protein is a great source of protein because it has a high amount of amino acids and is generally regarded as a fast acting type of protein, which is great for using it multiple times per day and especially for post workout use.

EAA's are more for pre and intra workout use for me.

I have a lot of food allergies, so I drink more of my protein as opposed to eating it, and I normally when I'm working out properly aim to drink 3 to 4 whey protein shakes per day.

I take a serving of protein at each meal - whether from food, shakes, or bars.

For EAA's, I really like Innovapharm Recover EAA and I mix 2 scoops (most people would be fine with just 1 scoop) and I drink about 1/3 to 1/2 of it 15 mins before I train and sip the rest during my workout.

I view protein as an absolute must; I view EAA's as optional, especially if taking in a lot of protein. I don't use the EAA's or even think of them as a protein source, I use them because they help with soreness and muscular fatigue, which is really important to me, as someone with an autoimmune condition.

I hope that helps.

panico.pt

Awards
In my opinion protein powder or amino acids powder is a matter of convenience, food will be better. Essential amino acids I use pre and intra-training and I think the use is a matter of comfort for each one. But by the way I quote an example, a few days ago I was talking at the gym and I told a colleague that I was taking about 100 grams of dextrose between pre and intra training. He replied that 200 grams of rice did the same. I immediately imagined finishing a series of bench presses with 130 kilos and immediately grabbing my tupperware with rice and taking 2 spoonfuls and go to the next series.
Yes convenience.

Last edited:
Localaxis

Localaxis

Awards
Imagine you have a big puzzle to solve. The puzzle is made up of lots of small pieces, just like how proteins are made up of amino acids. Amino acids are like the building blocks that help your body grow and stay healthy.

Now, whey protein is like a big puzzle piece that contains all the important amino acids your body needs. It's like having a complete set of puzzle pieces to build your muscles and keep your body in good shape.

On the other hand, EAA supplements are like a set of specific puzzle pieces. They only have some of the important amino acids, not the full set like whey protein. So, while EAA supplements provide some of the essential amino acids, they don't give you the whole package.

Now, why would someone choose whey protein instead of EAA supplements? Well, whey protein is great because it gives you all the amino acids your body needs. It's like having all the puzzle pieces to solve the puzzle. EAA supplements, on the other hand, only provide a few pieces of the puzzle.

But there are times when EAA supplements can be useful. For example, if you're trying to watch your calorie intake or if you have specific dietary restrictions, EAA supplements can be a lower-calorie option. They still give you some of the important amino acids without as many calories. But if you want the full benefits of protein and you're not worried about calories, then whey protein is usually a better choice because it provides a more complete set of amino acids.

I hope that explanation helps!