Dr. John... How about Soy milk for my 3year-old boy?

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
Dr. John...

A year ago, my wife and I made a decision to switch from regular cow milk to soy milk for our precious boy. The decision was made after my wife was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Upon research, we found that cow milk is not pasturized well enough to kill harmful bacteria.

Lately I've been reading how Soy products can act like estrogen in the male body. You also share this opinion. My question is: am I making a huge mistake by feeding my 3year-old soy milk? Would doing so have any negative impact on his reproductive system now or in the future?

My wife and I would appreciate your input on this matter. BTW, my boy has no digestive issues with regular cow milk.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
BigAk, I'm no Dr. John, but from reading his hundreds of posts on this board, I can tell you that he's probably going to reply pretty negatively to this. If just 30g of protein from soy can cause phytoestrogens to affect hormones in a grown male and suppress thyroid, I would imagine you would not want a growing boy to be exposed to this. He'll give you a much more detailed response than I can of course :)

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If just 30g of protein from soy can cause phytoestrogens to affect hormones in a grown male and suppress thyroid
???
I've read in several articles that soy protein does stimulate thyroid.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
it's critical that whatever milk you use has vitamin D.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Dr. John will answer your question when he comes online

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you what he will say NO don't give your baby boy soy milk. I would go with goat's milk if there is a problem the baby has with reg. milk.
Phil

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you what he will say NO don't give your baby boy soy milk. I would go with goat's milk if there is a problem the baby has with reg. milk.
Phil
Hi Phil... It's good to see you around here.. :)

Yeah... I think you're right... I have a feeling that Dr. John will say so. The reason I'm posting is so that my wife can hear it from the horse's mouth... so to speak... LOL... There's a debate between me and her.

Your idea of goat milk is excellent actually... That's what I drank growing up and recall loving it.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Hi Phil... It's good to see you around here.. :)

Yeah... I think you're right... I have a feeling that Dr. John will say so. The reason I'm posting is so that my wife can hear it from the horse's mouth... so to speak... LOL... There's a debate between me and her.

Your idea of goat milk is excellent actually... That's what I drank growing up and recall loving it.
Hi Big you don't want to give a baby boy Soy there is to many none working Estragens in it and they will take up space in his cells blocking Testosteron from getting into the cells. Also the brain can't tell the difference between E and T in the cells so when full of Soy E's the brain will think it is T. I had all kinds of studys and lost them. But if you go back the the other group and do a search on Soy you will see what SWALE had to say.
Phil

Random987

Awards
Big Ak,

I am wondering why you made the decision to switch to soy. You indicated that your son does not have any digestive issues with regular milk. However you mentioned your wife's Crohn's disease, does this have something to do with the switch? Is there a connection between Crohn's and regular milk?

Good Luck

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
Big Ak,

I am wondering why you made the decision to switch to soy. You indicated that your son does not have any digestive issues with regular milk. However you mentioned your wife's Crohn's disease, does this have something to do with the switch? Is there a connection between Crohn's and regular milk?

Good Luck
Random... Yes.. After my wife was diagnosed with Crohn's, we've eliminated cow milk from our house and switched to Silk (soy milk). I don't drink the stuff but my little boy has been drinking it for 8 months now and I'm concerned.

There is a connection between Crohn's and regular milk. Dr. Gabe Mirkin wrote "Researchers at St. George's Hospital Medical School in London report that they have found Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis bacteria in 92 percent of patients with Crohn's disease, but in only 26 percent of patients in a control group.

When a person has intestinal cramping, bloody diarrhea and ulcers in the colon or intestines, doctors look for cancers, infections and any other known cause. When they can't find a cause, they tell the patient that he has Crohn's disease and that the disease is caused by the patient's own immunity that punches holes in his intestines.

Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis is found in two percent of the milk sold to the public. In the United States, milk must be pasteurized before it can be sold. Pasteurizing means that the milk is flash heated for 15 seconds. However, 15 seconds is not long enough to kill Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis; it takes at least 50 seconds of heating to kill it. In England, all milk must be flash-heated for 50 seonds to kill MAP.

A second discovery by the team of researchers in England is that a very large percentage of people suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome were also found to be infected with MAP. Irritable Bowel Syndrome means that a person has alternating constipation and diarrhea along with cramping, and doctors can't find a cause. Previous research shows that MAP can damage the nerves inside the intestines of certain animals. A recent study from Sweden shows that people with Irritable Bowel syndrome also have inflamed gut nerves. So MAP may cause both Crohn's disease and some cases of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

In England, patients with Crohn's disease are diagnosed as having an infection with MAP and are treated with antibiotics and many patients are cured. In the United Sates, patients with Crohn's disease are diagnosed as having an autoimmune disease in which their own immunities attack their own intestinal linings, so they are treated with poisons called immune suppressants. Some get better temporarily, none are cured and most have their lives shortened by treatments for auto immune diseases, when the treatment may be based on an incorrect theory of the cause.

Today, more than 5 percent of Americans suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the majority of these people will continue to suffer these symptoms for the rest of their lives, even though doctors in England feel that both Crohn's disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are infectious diseases that may be cured by taking antibiotics. Also see report #G213.

Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 2003, Vol 41, Iss 2, pp 2915-2923."

MAP, CROHN'S DISEASE AND IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

Random987

Awards
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Does ultra-pasturization kill that particular bacteria? I know that horizon organic offers both regular and ultra (higher temp).

Random... Yes.. After my wife was diagnosed with Crohn's, we've eliminated cow milk from our house and switched to Silk (soy milk). I don't drink the stuff but my little boy has been drinking it for 8 months now and I'm concerned.

There is a connection between Crohn's and regular milk. Dr. Gabe Mirkin wrote "Researchers at St. George's Hospital Medical School in London report that they have found Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis bacteria in 92 percent of patients with Crohn's disease, but in only 26 percent of patients in a control group.

When a person has intestinal cramping, bloody diarrhea and ulcers in the colon or intestines, doctors look for cancers, infections and any other known cause. When they can't find a cause, they tell the patient that he has Crohn's disease and that the disease is caused by the patient's own immunity that punches holes in his intestines.

Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis is found in two percent of the milk sold to the public. In the United States, milk must be pasteurized before it can be sold. Pasteurizing means that the milk is flash heated for 15 seconds. However, 15 seconds is not long enough to kill Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis; it takes at least 50 seconds of heating to kill it. In England, all milk must be flash-heated for 50 seonds to kill MAP.

A second discovery by the team of researchers in England is that a very large percentage of people suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome were also found to be infected with MAP. Irritable Bowel Syndrome means that a person has alternating constipation and diarrhea along with cramping, and doctors can't find a cause. Previous research shows that MAP can damage the nerves inside the intestines of certain animals. A recent study from Sweden shows that people with Irritable Bowel syndrome also have inflamed gut nerves. So MAP may cause both Crohn's disease and some cases of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

In England, patients with Crohn's disease are diagnosed as having an infection with MAP and are treated with antibiotics and many patients are cured. In the United Sates, patients with Crohn's disease are diagnosed as having an autoimmune disease in which their own immunities attack their own intestinal linings, so they are treated with poisons called immune suppressants. Some get better temporarily, none are cured and most have their lives shortened by treatments for auto immune diseases, when the treatment may be based on an incorrect theory of the cause.

Today, more than 5 percent of Americans suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the majority of these people will continue to suffer these symptoms for the rest of their lives, even though doctors in England feel that both Crohn's disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are infectious diseases that may be cured by taking antibiotics. Also see report #G213.

Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 2003, Vol 41, Iss 2, pp 2915-2923."

MAP, CROHN'S DISEASE AND IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Does ultra-pasturization kill that particular bacteria? I know that horizon organic offers both regular and ultra (higher temp).
Not sure if it does.. I want to find out though. If that's the case, that would be great.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'd avoid the soy. My little niece is being fed on soy formula. She spits up a hell of a lot more than regular babies and she's also twice as large as girls her age. She's very bloaty looking to me..beyond baby fat. That's all anecdotal but coupled with everything I have read, it seems to fit.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hate soy. but my daughters dr told us to put her on soy formula when she was young because she had a reflux problem. spitting up a lot. he said it was softer on the stomach and would help. we stopped the soy when she was old enough. she is 7 now, thin, athletic, no problems.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I hate soy. but my daughters dr told us to put her on soy formula when she was young because she had a reflux problem. spitting up a lot. he said it was softer on the stomach and would help. we stopped the soy when she was old enough. she is 7 now, thin, athletic, no problems.
The problems are when you give it to a baby boy.
Phil

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
There you go! Good advice, guys.

IOW, it ain't broke. So don't break it.
Yeah.. I figured you'd go against it also. My wife and I have already switched back to regular milk last week. Thank you for your input Dr. John.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I'm a farm boy and have been drinking unpasteurized milk since I was six. I can't even stand to drink milk from the market anymore, just doesn't taste right. Those of you that are drinking low fat milk are getting a hell of a lot of water on your gallons.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I'm using Rice Milk now, myself.. Otherwise, my younger Brother was allergic to milk, so he grew-up drinking soy milk - and there's nothing even slightly feminine about him. It seemed to do him just fine.

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
We've switched my boy to regular organic milk. He's been doing great. He's not been acting like a whiny little girl during pre-school drop offs. He's started liking going there as a matter of fact.... maybe it's all in my head.... lol

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
For a treat, try organic ice cream made with 100% real cream. We tried Strauss brand and it was simply amazing. VERY rich and creamy.

Organic milk does taste a lot better. Way less watery. I would get unpastuerized if I could. I grew up drinking it.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I've drank skim milk for so long that I don't think i could handle organic :\

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I'm a farm boy and have been drinking unpasteurized milk since I was six. I can't even stand to drink milk from the market anymore, just doesn't taste right. Those of you that are drinking low fat milk are getting a hell of a lot of water on your gallons.
I have been raised on warm milk, straight from the cow.
4AM my mom would (gently) wake me up and drink 16 oz of milk mixed with two or three whole eggs.
Mniam, mniam.

I feel real sorry for people who do not know a taste of fresh warm milk and warm fresh eggs.

How about natural sour milk, freshly baked warm pure rye bread with freshly made butter dripping with buttermilk.
My dad was doing the bread baking, he was a baker during WWI in 2nd Polish Army.

That was 1945-1955 way back on little farm in Poland.
Where to get fresh milk now in New Jersey?