CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
she-douche!

iddc

iddc

Awards
quick question guys! before i judge this guy to be a douche or not.

when doing OHP's do you use a belt even when the weight is light to save your back? or do you just put it on when it starts to get heavy?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

when doing OHP's do you use a belt even when the weight is light to save your back? or do you just put it on when it starts to get heavy?
Depends on whether or not the dude is injured.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I don't see any reason why not to.

I don't personally, I rarely belt up for squat/DL personally. It increases IAP which allows for more powerful pressing (really more powerful anything).

Some of the 'douches' being mentioned don't sound douchey at all. A girl doing a SS with Bench Press, guy wearing a lifting belt, etc. I mean really guys?

Hell, I'm a bigger douche than that because I do 4-5 move complexes sometimes.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I don't personally, I rarely belt up for squat/DL personally. It increases IAP which allows for more powerful pressing (really more powerful anything).

Some of the 'douches' being mentioned don't sound douchey at all. A girl doing a SS with Bench Press, guy wearing a lifting belt, etc. I mean really guys?

Get him! lol

I have a buddy who says OHP hurts his back, I have had strict seated mil press hurt my back before as well. I don't wear a belt but whatever keeps you injury free.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
So I've been going to 24hour Fitness for the passed two weeks because I bought me a 2 year pass for 280$. I no longer have faith in humanity lol. . Gyms are ****ing packed full of douchebags that can take up to 20 minutes per machine, plastic suit wearing mother ****ers who walk around dripping sweat like gonorrhea, Lardy perverted old bastards who's constantly looking at you, old ladies who "ask for help" but really want the D, and my personal favorite "the tatted up bone skinny caucasian/latin/black gangsters" who don't give a **** about steam room or sauna hygine. I had to interfere in an affair yesterday between a young mexican "gangsta" and an old Asian lady. This arrogant prick hocked a fat loogy onto the steam room floor and the lady told him that he isn't in a third world country,and that people walk barefoot in here. The kid told the lady to stfu and mind her own business before he shipped her off to N Korea. It so happened to be that e lady was S Korean and she lost her dad in the Korean War. Grandma started balling out with emotions. At the end I made the prick apologize to her with the help of Law and Order. On top of that everybody automatically assumes I got substances because I'm Russian and work out in a Adidas jump suit. Haven't been able to get a good work out in for 4 days due to constant interference and drama at public gyms.

So I bought me a bench press, a preacher bar, a heavy bag, a wooden dummy,and regulating dumbbells. Time to convert the garage into a mini gym!

iddc

iddc

Awards

the guy wearing the belt isn't the douche here! i'm the guy "wearing" the belt. well here it goes:

i was doing OHPs today and on the last set i decided to do a drop set. i was wearing a belt for my last set. for the drop set i dropped the weight really low, and since it was really light weight i took off the belt (read somewhere that you shouldn't rely on belts, straps, gear etc. all the time)
started pressing, and when i was done this m**herF***er comes up to me and says "where's your belt?"
i said "it's just light weight"
then he goes on saying it doesn't matter if it's light weight i wouldn't feel the pain now but when i grow old i would..
then he said "i told you to always where a belt" (he did this before when i was doing barbell curls).. the thing is he was shouting it out at the gym, like purposely trying to humiliate me (did this on the first time too).. it's okay i would take criticism but keep it between us..

this guy (pretending to be a mr. know it all) goes around telling guys how they should perform an exercise.
claims to be going to the gym for 7 years (he said he stopped for a while coz he got injured)

all he does in the gym is chest, shoulders and arms workouts (mostly on machines too)

and to top things off..

wait for it..

this B**ch never drinks water during a 1.5hr workout

this guy a douche?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the guy wearing the belt isn't the douche here! i'm the guy "wearing" the belt. well here it goes:

i was doing OHPs today and on the last set i decided to do a drop set. i was wearing a belt for my last set. for the drop set i dropped the weight really low, and since it was really light weight i took off the belt (read somewhere that you shouldn't rely on belts, straps, gear etc. all the time)
started pressing, and when i was done this m**herF***er comes up to me and says "where's your belt?"
then he goes on saying it doesn't matter if it's light weight i wouldn't feel the pain now but when i grow old i would..
then he said "i told you to always where a belt" (he did this before when i was doing barbell curls).. the thing is he was shouting it out at the gym, like purposely trying to humiliate me (did this on the first time too).. it's okay i would take criticism but keep it between us..

this guy (pretending to be a mr. know it all) goes around telling guys how they should perform an exercise.
claims to be going to the gym for 7 years (he said he stopped for a while coz he got injured)

all he does in the gym is chest, shoulders and arms workouts (mostly on machines too)

and to top things off..

wait for it..

this guy a douche?
Sounds like you found yourself a lifting partner.

iddc

iddc

Awards
Sounds like you found yourself a lifting partner.

hahaha! pretty small gym, that's why you can see everything that's happening!

F**k if this guy saw me do DLs, he would swear i was on gear or my back was made of steel! mtfkr!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hahaha! pretty small gym, that's why you can see everything that's happening!

F**k if this guy saw me do DLs, he would swear i was on gear or my back was made of steel! mtfkr!
Does he pay for your membership? If not, tell him to piss off.

iddc

iddc

Awards
Does he pay for your membership? If not, tell him to piss off.
should ask him to pay for next month! hehehe!

I can't workout properly with this guy around honestly!

he does his patrols around the gym esp when girls are there, and when the girls leave (even in the middle of his workout) he runs off after them - am dead serious this guy does this!

saw me doing leg presses once, had 400lbs loaded for a warm up did a quick 10, he says good job! like i'm a kid.. i wanted to tell him: "this? this is just a warm up" but i didn't want to be talked about on this thread! hahaha!

pow_wow41

pow_wow41

Awards
Pausing your music with your headphones in just to eavesdrop on the horrific broscience being spread.. Just walk away & pretend you didn't hear anything. Hardest part is not laughing sometimes!

iddc

iddc

Awards
Pausing your music with your headphones in just to eavesdrop on the horrific broscience being spread.. Just walk away & pretend you didn't hear anything. Hardest part is not laughing sometimes!
Or, keep your music on, and in between sets, watch guys teach newbies how to squat incorrectly (the bar goes 3inches down and 3inches up) looks at the guy who taught him that, guy nods, newbie continues. you turn around and laugh

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Or, keep your music on, and in between sets, watch guys teach newbies how to squat incorrectly (the bar goes 3inches down and 3inches up) looks at the guy who taught him that, guy nods, newbie continues. you turn around and laugh
1st of all, Fock the guy telling you to wear a belt and yelling at you. WTF.

I yell at my buddies and call them pussies if they don't squat deep, and make fun of pretty much anyone with bad form in my gym (jokingly) and I think it might actually be working...

Landy

Awards
I've discovered a way to totally discharge the anger caused by the morons who use my gym. I found myself listening to "Eye Of The Tiger" in between sets and for a brief moment forgot that nobody else could hear what I was listening to... I looked around the gym and, in my head, all of the usual suspects with poor form, handing out terrible advice, were training to the Rocky soundtrack!

Der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der. Der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der...

Kinda sad but it really amused me!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1st of all, Fock the guy telling you to wear a belt and yelling at you. WTF.

I yell at my buddies and call them pussies if they don't squat deep, and make fun of pretty much anyone with bad form in my gym (jokingly) and I think it might actually be working...
Used to yell "don't be a b1tch" at my old workout partner haha.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
God man my gym has been really sucking lately. People stare at me like I'm doing something wrong because I'm sweating like a monster after my ladders and sprints.... Its like they've never seen someone who works hard and sweats....prissy ****s

DjAnthum

DjAnthum

Awards
We have the dude most have us have dubbed "shaker", who fills is shaker of aminos up and shakes it for 45 minutes to make out he is doing something, while walking around trying to make conversation.

Shaker is also a self certified women's personal trainer (hot women only it seems). Giving the best advice on how to do anything and everything (while still shaking his shaker)

A close friend of mine who is a reputable Australian DJ put his hand up in his face to say "get lost I dont want to talk to you i want to train", and he actually thought he was trying to high-five him so he followed through and did that.

We are trying to get a petition done to ban him from the gym.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
We have the dude most have us have dubbed "shaker", who fills is shaker of aminos up and shakes it for 45 minutes to make out he is doing something, while walking around trying to make conversation.

Shaker is also a self certified women's personal trainer (hot women only it seems). Giving the best advice on how to do anything and everything (while still shaking his shaker)

A close friend of mine who is a reputable Australian DJ put his hand up in his face to say "get lost I dont want to talk to you i want to train", and he actually thought he was trying to high-five him so he followed through and did that.

We are trying to get a petition done to ban him from the gym.
Sounds like entertainment to me...ya might wanna keep him around for a good laugh!

DjAnthum

DjAnthum

Awards
Sounds like entertainment to me...ya might wanna keep him around for a good laugh!
Imagine being asked the same question every single time you enter the gym "How many songs do you have on your hard drive now?"

Every day...for three years.

He is the reason i bought Beats by Dre headphones.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Imagine being asked the same question every single time you enter the gym "How many songs do you have on your hard drive now?"

Every day...for three years.

He is the reason i bought Beats by Dre headphones.
Ok...that's pretty bad!!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need to get headphones for when I lift heavy. Did deadlifts today so I got stares and questions. Had an older guy ask me how my back feels the next day I said good. Wish I had said probably better than yours. Don't get me wrong I don't mind people asking for advice but commenting just to comment just annoys me. Trying to keep my focus so I don't tweak something like most seem to think I will.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established

and to top things off..

wait for it..

this guy a douche?
I would just give him a back tap, cup check, whatever term you like to use. He will never talk to you about a belt again.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I need to get headphones for when I lift heavy. Did deadlifts today so I got stares and questions. Had an older guy ask me how my back feels the next day I said good. Wish I had said probably better than yours. Don't get me wrong I don't mind people asking for advice but commenting just to comment just annoys me. Trying to keep my focus so I don't tweak something like most seem to think I will.
i feel your pain! My player broke. It's really hard to pretend I don't hear people talking to me when I don't have my earphones in haha.

tsugsr

Awards
Lol. I do the "pause the music but keep the buds in" to hear the bro science, it's usually some funny stuff.

Got a question on how to handle what many would called a DB.

He is fairly strong, lean and according to himself a former power lifter of some kind with good numbers for his size.

Here is the question.

How do you tell the guy he has the worst form in the world??
I'd consider him a friend cause we talk often at the gym, usually about guns, but he has the typical attitude that he knows exactly what he is doing but he basically does decline bench while on flat bench because his back is so arched, flat bench on incline for same reason.

He "can" do lat pull downs with a full stack but he is using his lower back to pull the handle he is using and basically throws his chest up and out to touch the bar for each rep.

These are just two examples, but IMO, he has horrible, horrible form on almost all his lifts.

Just curious if any one has any constructive ways to go about talking about form with this guy.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I would rather just have ppl mind their own ****ing business. Dont look at me or talk to me if I don't know you

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would rather just have ppl mind their own ****ing business. Dont look at me or talk to me if I don't know you
Haha that works too. Lately I have been training too hard to take breaks. Just kills the focus.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Lol. I do the "pause the music but keep the buds in" to hear the bro science, it's usually some funny stuff.

He is fairly strong, lean and according to himself a former power lifter of some kind with good numbers for his size.

Here is the question.

I'd consider him a friend cause we talk often at the gym, usually about guns, but he has the typical attitude that he knows exactly what he is doing but he basically does decline bench while on flat bench because his back is so arched, flat bench on incline for same reason.

He "can" do lat pull downs with a full stack but he is using his lower back to pull the handle he is using and basically throws his chest up and out to touch the bar for each rep.

These are just two examples, but IMO, he has horrible, horrible form on almost all his lifts.

Just curious if any one has any constructive ways to go about talking about form with this guy.
I'd tell him that "hey, I've noticed you've been doing the same routine using the same techniques for a while, you may want to mix it up a bit and try this"...then show him the proper form and say "didn't that feel different?, Well, that is good because your body constantly adapts so you need to throw it a curveball whenever possible to continue to make gains"

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Here is the question.

If he powerlifts that is basically correct form. Back arch is fine, as long as both feet, but, shoulders and head remain on the bench. Idk about the lats, can't really pass judgement without seeing it. Most likely just do your own thing and let him live in his own world if he is so set in his ways. Work on your form, get stronger than him, and make him SEE that maybe he needs to change once he gets pissed that you are better than him.

tsugsr

Awards
Good advice from both, thanks. I was most likely going to just let him keep doing what he does, He and I have gone to this gym (me more off than on) for many years and he hasn't killed himself yet.

Maybe ill try and get a pic one day of his bench. I've seen videos of power lifters with insane arches when benching, just doesn't look healthy. His head and shoulders are the only thing even near the bench during his lifts, his ass is at least a foot and a half off the bench with no leg contacting it either.

As for getting stronger and just showing him, using form I've gotten a little help with from a guy with a raw bench press title in Texas (i couldn't tell you what kind of comp or what division or anything, it all went over my head) I've put up two at 315 after only about 4-5 months work. I should be passing what I've seen him do (I think 385) soon and with better form IMO.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Good advice from both, thanks. I was most likely going to just let him keep doing what he does, He and I have gone to this gym (me more off than on) for many years and he hasn't killed himself yet.

Maybe ill try and get a pic one day of his bench. I've seen videos of power lifters with insane arches when benching, just doesn't look healthy. His head and shoulders are the only thing even near the bench during his lifts, his ass is at least a foot and a half off the bench with no leg contacting it either.

As for getting stronger and just showing him, using form I've gotten a little help with from a guy with a raw bench press title in Texas (i couldn't tell you what kind of comp or what division or anything, it all went over my head) I've put up two at 315 after only about 4-5 months work. I should be passing what I've seen him do (I think 385) soon and with better form IMO.
Yeah back arch is fine (in fact it can help protect the low back and isolate the chest) as long as his shoulders are on the bench and his feet firmly planted on The ground but as long he is controlling the weight and not bouncing it around i think its fair game.

Pull downs...don't j owwwhat to tell you bro...id have to see it

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards

Yeah back arch is fine (in fact it can help protect the low back and isolate the chest) as long as his shoulders are on the bench and his feet firmly planted on The ground but as long he is controlling the weight and not bouncing it around i think its fair game.

Pull downs...don't know what to tell you bro...id have to see it

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

If his can is off the bench, it's wrong. That would not pass in a comp. I think we all do it sometimes when were trying for that last rep, not thinking, but it's not a true rep unless you maintain form.

Sounds good, I think you showing him up will make more of a statement than any words would.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
No one ever re racks any weights at my gym.. The dumbell a racks are always empty. It's insane. I seriously want to find out if they'll hire me for a couple hours a week to clean up.. It especially pisses me off when someone decides to rack their weights when they put a 10lb plate behind two 45lbs

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No one ever re racks any weights at my gym.. The dumbell a racks are always empty. It's insane. I seriously want to find out if they'll hire me for a couple hours a week to clean up.. It especially pisses me off when someone decides to rack their weights when they put a 10lb plate behind two 45lbs
It is so bad at my gym as well, it's so frustrating! I was doing bench this morning and had to walk across the gym to get another 45 lb plate cause for some reason there were 10 at the shoulder press, but only 3 at the bench. It's even more frustrating when there are 4 people working at the desk and none of them go to check on the equipment and the messes. Granted people should pick up after themselves but if they're not I shouldn't have to do it, one of the four employees should.

endrant/

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
It is so bad at my gym as well, it's so frustrating! I was doing bench this morning and had to walk across the gym to get another 45 lb plate cause for some reason there were 10 at the shoulder press, but only 3 at the bench. It's even more frustrating when there are 4 people working at the desk and none of them go to check on the equipment and the messes. Granted people should pick up after themselves but if they're not I shouldn't have to do it, one of the four employees should.

endrant/
OMG that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Walk into the locker room, wrappers on the floor trash can overflowing, out in the gym empty water bottles stashed all over the place, weights and dumbbells everywhere, meanwhile the personal trainers sit on the couch in the lobby trimming their nails while waiting for thier next victim instead of picking the place up. WTF?? Seriously???? Do they have no pride in their workplace?

Landy

Awards
The PTs at my gym are a bunch of arrogant, self-important *rseholes. We have a piece of kit that is basically a big climbing frame with some pull up bars, hooks to hang stuff from and some hooks for an Olympic bar in the centre. The arrogant w*nkers have now put up a sign saying that PTs will be given preferential use of the kit, which has further bolstered their self-importance.

I was attempting to use one of the pull up bars last week when some fat girl, who it turns out is a PT, walked over and put an Olympic bar right in my way. She looked at another PT and asked if she was in his way but didn't even acknowledge that I was there, as though it didn't matter if she was in my way because I'm only a PAYING CUSTOMER!

This is the same girl who took over the entire freeweights a area, and part of the main gym floor last week because she wanted to show her friends how awesome she was at circuits. Or at least I hope that's what she was doing because otherwise 2 poor girls have paid her £45 each (an hour PT session) for the honour of being told "no, you just stand there and time me, and you guard that piece of equipment".

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
The PTs at my gym are a bunch of arrogant, self-important *rseholes. We have a piece of kit that is basically a big climbing frame with some pull up bars, hooks to hang stuff from and some hooks for an Olympic bar in the centre. The arrogant w*nkers have now put up a sign saying that PTs will be given preferential use of the kit, which has further bolstered their self-importance.

I was attempting to use one of the pull up bars last week when some fat girl, who it turns out is a PT, walked over and put an Olympic bar right in my way. She looked at another PT and asked if she was in his way but didn't even acknowledge that I was there, as though it didn't matter if she was in my way because I'm only a PAYING CUSTOMER!

This is the same girl who took over the entire freeweights a area, and part of the main gym floor last week because she wanted to show her friends how awesome she was at circuits. Or at least I hope that's what she was doing because otherwise 2 poor girls have paid her £45 each (an hour PT session) for the honour of being told "no, you just stand there and time me, and you guard that piece of equipment".
That's outrageous, I would have a word with the owner, and if he didn't rectify the situation I would promptly cancel my membership. In addition I would ask for a reimbursement of my fees for the year. What a poor business model.
Wow, that put me in a rage just hearing about it, and I'm a very mellow guy by nature.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I thought you went to my gym here in Texas for a minute until I noticed you are from Philly. haha same deal here

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't you hate that? I just make someone ( I know) stand on the end hahaha.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Don't you hate that? I just make someone ( I know) stand on the end hahaha.
That's what I normally do but this worked even better. 3 stacked 45lb plates behind 110lb DB. I'm afraid to have someone stand on the end now when I'm pulling 4-5 plates like that because I had a kid let it slip before and the bar went flying up in his face and me falling forward to catch it so it didn't **** him up in turn putting me in danger. No bueno. We used to have a hinge on one of the racks but douche bags kept breaking it.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's what I normally do but this worked even better. 3 stacked 45lb plates behind 110lb DB. I'm afraid to have someone stand on the end now when I'm pulling 4-5 plates like that because I had a kid let it slip before and the bar went flying up in his face and me falling forward to catch it so it didn't **** him up in turn putting me in danger. No bueno. We used to have a hinge on one of the racks but douche bags kept breaking it.
That sucks. I feel bad taking all that, plus no room in my gym for that if it's busy. I started using smaller plates in the middle and 45s at the end, then putting the bar on the far side so it doesn't pick the end up as bad. And I don't get hit in the balls if someone let's it slip. lol.