Do you supplement with vitamin K2?

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin K2 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity and it seems to be really beneficial in a lot to different ways.

Do you guys supplement with it at all?

I've been taking K2-MK4 drops. A lot of stuff I read states that MK7 is better as the halflife is days versus just a few hours for MK4.

I've also read the human body can convert vitamin K1 into K2, but there isn't a lot of info on it. Seems other mammals are more efficient at this than humans are.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
K2 d3 mix is what’s best for people on anabolics. Unfortunately most of the time where you’ll buy k2 d3 it’s dosed very poorly and not very efficient for heart protection the way we want it and need it as bodybuilders. I suggest you look at revive supps k2 d3 or any supps. Made for that specific reason and always dosed accordingly.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
K2 d3 mix is what’s best for people on anabolics. Unfortunately most of the time where you’ll buy k2 d3 it’s dosed very poorly and not very efficient for heart protection the way we want it and need it as bodybuilders. I suggest you look at revive supps k2 d3 or any supps. Made for that specific reason and always dosed accordingly.
This. Although I do think there are some other adequately doses brands. I’ll look back because I had some a while go.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If someone comes across a properly dosed product let me know, I always buy them separately and there's lots of times I run out of K2 and don't take it for a month straight.

Having them in combination would be a good move for me

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep. You want 180mcg of Mk7, and to take it with your D3.

IMG_6913.JPG

This has 2,000iu D3 and 200mcg Mk7. I add an additional 5,000iu cap of D3 (7,000iu total), and I consume these with a meal with fats.

This keeps my vitamin D3 levels at 50 in the winter, so it’s perfect for me. The amount of D3 you will need will be determined by bloodwork. Some folks don’t need very much, some need over 10,000/day.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep. You want 180mcg of Mk7, and to take it with your D3.

View attachment 220801

This has 2,000iu D3 and 200mcg Mk7. I add an additional 5,000iu cap of D3 (7,000iu total), and I consume these with a meal with fats.

This keeps my vitamin D3 levels at 50 in the winter, so it’s perfect for me. The amount of D3 you will need will be determined by bloodwork. Some folks don’t need very much, some need over 10,000/day.
I do 10,000 d3 per day. But I can just skip 1 day a week with the 10k pills and it's close enough

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
My Dr knows I bodybuild. I told him why I was taking K2. He says it actually does the opposite of what we think it does. It makes the blood thicker not thinner. He advised I stop. I now only take D3 no K2.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My Dr knows I bodybuild. I told him why I was taking K2. He says it actually does the opposite of what we think it does. It makes the blood thicker not thinner. He advised I stop. I now only take D3 no K2.
Well that’s enough for you to change doctor my friend. Most generalist don’t know **** about anabolics and him saying that to you is certainly not reassuring because the biggest names in the game (doctors) all scream loud and clear that k2 d3 is an essential tool of cardio vascular health on steroids.

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
If someone comes across a properly dosed product let me know, I always buy them separately and there's lots of times I run out of K2 and don't take it for a month straight.

I just ordered this stuff as it's cheap and Nutricost is pretty reliable when it comes to quality. I have a ton of vitamin D and take upwards of 10K a day. You can get a bottle of 5000iu vitamin D from iHerb for like $1 sometimes. Gotta watch for that special but it pops up a lot.

Interesting. So he said K2 can also cause issues with clotting? I have read that it is K1 that can, but not K2.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I know a few people that love thorne's D3/K2 supplement

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
No, I just eat alot of eggs, bone marrow, liver, grassfed butter

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well that’s enough for you to change doctor my friend. Most generalist don’t know **** about anabolics and him saying that to you is certainly not reassuring because the biggest names in the game (doctors) all scream loud and clear that k2 d3 is an essential tool of cardio vascular health on steroids.
Thx for your input. Glad I shared.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
No, I just eat alot of eggs, bone marrow, liver, grassfed butter
off topic, but are you able to get good bone marrow at your local supermarket, it's been impossible for me to find lately? I absolutely love the stuff.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
My doctor said the same, makes your blood thicker.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
off topic, but are you able to get good bone marrow at your local supermarket, it's been impossible for me to find lately? I absolutely love the stuff.
I think you just call butchers and ask if they have bovine femurs right? maybe some farms too

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did you do any other reading on it after this, and if so what were your general findings/thoughts that convinced you to drop it. It’s okay if you didn’t & the doctor’s advice was all it took. I’m not attacking you, just curious if you would like to expound upon any findings.

My understanding of K2 is that it helps regulate calcium deposition in response to arterial inflammation, which AAS can cause and is how they promote atherosclerosis. This is a major concern for me based on my AAS use, diet, lipid bloodwork, and familial history.

Conversely, blood viscosity is not as much of a personal concern.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Citadel nutrition has the product, but covid made it hard to get. Cheap, and tasty.

Attachments

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did you do any other reading on it after this, and if so what were your general findings/thoughts that convinced you to drop it. It’s okay if you didn’t & the doctor’s advice was all it took. I’m not attacking you, just curious if you would like to expound upon any findings.

My understanding of K2 is that it helps regulate calcium deposition in response to arterial inflammation, which AAS can cause and is how they promote atherosclerosis. This is a major concern for me based on my AAS use, diet, lipid bloodwork, and familial history.

Conversely, blood viscosity is not as much of a personal concern.
I took his word and stopped. He helped me with TRT but I was not willing to wait long enough to get the dose I wanted. So I think he's good overall as he was the one who suggested replacement therapy.

Some of the guys who preached K2 use are now dead like John Meadows (RIP). I'm still skeptical if using K2 is wise.

I manage my blood thickness with daily cardio and lots of hydration. I also take fish oil. When I was using the K2 I was early in my therapy and paranoid about HCT. As I learned more that's no longer much of a concern.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I took his word and stopped. He helped me with TRT but I was not willing to wait long enough to get the dose I wanted. So I think he's good overall as he was the one who suggested replacement therapy.

Some of the guys who preached K2 use are now dead like John Meadows (RIP). I'm still skeptical if using K2 is wise.

I manage my blood thickness with daily cardio and lots of hydration. I also take fish oil. When I was using the K2 I was early in my therapy and paranoid about HCT. As I learned more that's no longer much of a concern.
I appreciate your feedback. I have never taken K2 because I believed it thinned my blood; I take it to hopefully help prevent heart attacks and needing stents & bypasses (very common in powerlifters using orals and Tren for years along with American diets to stay heavy).

John Meadows had well-known poor genetics for clotting actually on both sides of his family, and he actually lived significantly longer than both of his non-bodybuilder parents. He actually surpassed the norms for his familial disorder despite becoming a pro bodybuilder. If that eases your views on him any.

Also, if you don’t take them, nattokinase and pine bark extract both reduce clotting, especially in combination, if you are interested in any reading. And if you struggle with blood thickness still after cardio, you could look at IP6 supplementation before bed to help regulate blood production. That is more for blasting AAS though, not longterm TRT management. But it’s a tool in the box.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I appreciate your feedback. I have never taken K2 because I believed it thinned my blood; I take it to hopefully help prevent heart attacks and needing stents & bypasses (very common in powerlifters using orals and Tren for years along with American diets to stay heavy).

John Meadows had well-known poor genetics for clotting actually on both sides of his family, and he actually lived significantly longer than both of his non-bodybuilder parents. He actually surpassed the norms for his familial disorder despite becoming a pro bodybuilder. If that eases your views on him any.

Also, if you don’t take them, nattokinase and pine bark extract both reduce clotting, especially in combination, if you are interested in any reading. And if you struggle with blood thickness still after cardio, you could look at IP6 supplementation before bed to help regulate blood production. That is more for blasting AAS though, not longterm TRT management. But it’s a tool in the box.
I appreciate the info as well. I did not know all of John's family history. Makes a lot of sense. I thought he was awesome before, now I'm even more impressed.

I recently added nattokinase for that reason. I will look into pine bark extract. Thx.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ya, I thought K2 by itself was a thickener, and the point to taking it with d3 was to help with calcium going to age right places and not tge arteries?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ya I do k2 cuz I love milk and cheese but I'm open to more data. there was that recent study that showed it didn't help reduce calcification but it wasn't a very good study.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyday! K2 Mk7 at 360mcgs a day with 5,000IU D3.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya, I thought K2 by itself was a thickener, and the point to taking it with d3 was to help with calcium going to age right places and not tge arteries?
Yes thats my understanding too. Though I think characterising it as a blood "thickener" may be a little misleading; it helps with coagulation. But it also helps limit arterial calcium depositing, as noted.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes thats my understanding too. Though I think characterising it as a blood "thickener" may be a little misleading; it helps with coagulation. But it also helps limit arterial calcium depositing, as noted.
Correct.

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I live in NJ and I can regularly get it at wegmans at frozen section. I have seen them at shoprite also. Keep an eye out at wholefoods or other grocery stores for Beef shank sections which will include the marrow, so you can also get it that way.

on other topic I have always heard of K2 as preventing arterial calcification in the event of excess calcium due to high VitD levels - which is likely rare. But couple research suggested that supplementing K2 didnt reduce CAD risk nor removed arterial plaque. I think that Supplementing may be unnecessary unless ur diet is severely deficient in it but at that point you likely got lots of issues.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Use to. Now I take 2000MgFU (100mg total) of natto e/d instead. Believe most studies show 200-300mg e/d.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
guys taking high(er) doses of D3 should also be taking Magnesium. Taking large doses of Vit D can induce severe depletion of Magnesium as Magnesium is needed to help convert Vitamin D to its active form in the body. Not to mention it is a great supplement in of itself and something many folks are deficient in. I prefer Glycinate at 350mg daily to start

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
guys taking high(er) doses of D3 should also be taking Magnesium. Taking large doses of Vit D can induce severe depletion of Magnesium as Magnesium is needed to help convert Vitamin D to its active form in the body. Not to mention it is a great supplement in of itself and something many folks are deficient in. I prefer Glycinate at 350mg daily to start
If you lift, you should probably supplement magnesium. If you don’t, you should probably supplement magnesium. Almost nobody is getting enough through diet to be optimal.

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
If you lift, you should probably supplement magnesium. If you don’t, you should probably supplement magnesium. Almost nobody is getting enough through diet to be optimal.
Are the claims about magnesium oxide being so poorly bioavailable true? I take about 400mg of it in powder form and never have any stomach issues from it.

I also take mag threonate for it's relaxing effects pre-bed, so I assume I am getting enough mag either way.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah probably wouldn’t go silly on dosages of k2 but supplementing with reasonable amounts has been show to not effect your normal coagulation homeostatic function.

Its benefits of reducing arterial calcification risk far outweigh concerns raised in this thread regarding clotting.

Last edited:
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would agree. It's been a staple for me pre bed for awhile now and I think helps with sleep to!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are the claims about magnesium oxide being so poorly bioavailable true? I take about 400mg of it in powder form and never have any stomach issues from it.

I also take mag threonate for it's relaxing effects pre-bed, so I assume I am getting enough mag either way.
I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but as it’s dirt cheap as long as it doesn’t give you the runs then it’s likely a net positive is my logic.

I take a 400mg cap of cheapo blend that’s mainly oxide nightly. Taking 2 daily I get the runs, but one cap seems cherry. If I wanted to build that up to something more optimal I would use glycinate, but this is incredibly cheap low-hanging fruit so it’s the route I go. One bottle lasts almost a year, it’s dirt cheap to begin with, one easy capsule in my evening supplement dose. I notice slight benefits in recovery/wellness with it. Also helps prevent cramping around training for me.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I take Vitamin D with K2 PWO everyday