digital scales

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
does anybody have one? im just curious how accurate a decent priced one would be with bodyfat and all those little goodies.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
i heard the digital hand-held body fat testers are about 75% accurate. accuracy also depends on you level of hydration.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
calipers are more accurate
absolutely agree. you should see if someone at the gym has some and if they could measure you, because a good pair is not cheap.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
calipers are more accurate
That is true. The accuracy of digital scales depends on a lot of complex variables. I use a digital scale and suspect that the scale systematically overstates my BF% by about 4% or so. I absolutely have to get some good calipers!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does it throw them off if I am holding on to a half pounds of delicious bacon while weighing myself?

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
Does it throw them off if I am holding on to a half pounds of delicious bacon while weighing myself?
it depends on if its turkey bacon or regular bacon.:D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not any more than if you were holding onto a half pound of broccoli.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I have one of the digital scales with the bf measurements, and it says in the instruction book that they aren't calibrated for bodybuilders. It has two settings though, one for athletes and one for everyone else.

You can get a decent idea of your bodyfat on the scale, but it is nowhere near precise.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...but it isn't nowhere near precise.
Yep! Varies according to time of day when measurement is taken, how hydrated you are, when you ate your last meal, alcohol intake, and many more variables...

Konvicted

Konvicted

Banned
Awards
I have one of the digital scales with the bf measurements, and it says in the instruction book that they aren't calibrated for bodybuilders. It has two settings though, one for athletes and one for everyone else.

You can get a decent idea of your bodyfat on the scale, but it is nowhere near precise.
Thats true, dosnt work with bodybuilders, my sisters scale has it and im jacked like a mo fo! And it said I had 30% bf LULZ!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats true, dosnt work with bodybuilders, my sisters scale has it and im jacked like a mo fo! And it said I had 30% bf LULZ!
My point exactly! I have been using mine since last October or so and it led me to believe I had 32% BF at that time, and recently under 26%. Visually comparing myself to others that are under 20% BF, I should be around 20%-22% BF. I must get some decent calipers to finally cut this speculation.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
hmmm. new question then. best calipers? best tips for taking one's own bf? ive got my buddies plastic accumeasure one. says to only take one measurement to the right of the belly button like on my side. with that says im about 11-11.5%.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I use a triple beam to weigh my ...... oh .... :donut:

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is also the bio-impedance method. Any serious personal trainer will typically have one of these as one of their tools and would be able to provide you with a measurement for a small fee.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
akboom87 General Chat 2
Jinsun Training Forum 3
coldseed General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 10
Weight Loss 9