Deadlifts. who does them??

Tboz

Banned
Awards
Havent done deads since my surgey few months ago. I got to get back to doing them. Do you guys do them first or last in your workout?
I think Iam going to start doing them last just to tie everything in with my back. Here is my routine for the next month or so.

Pullups 3x 15,12,10
DB Row 4x 10
Tbar row 4x10
Cable Row 4x10
Deads. 1-2 warmups 3-4 working sets

aceroni

Awards
sounds like a good back workout man. I ALWAYS do deads. eitherr first or last in my routine.. ONCE in a while, if my lowerback feels tweaked, i'll opt for hyperextensions instead.

aceroni

Awards
but personally id drop the dumbell row, and do more sets of either barbell row, tbar row, or cable rows, or a few more of each, and then add a few LIGHT sets of dumbell pullovers at the end.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
drop all those rows...

spend time deadlifting.... FIRST (after warming up)

then do dumbell rows, or t bar rows (heavy)

maybe some shrugs.... and do pullups last... sets of 10, then add weight in the coming weeks

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
I do deadlifts and leave. It's my whole workout. :-D And I'm not exactly wimpy.

aceroni

Awards
The thing with back is to start light. Dont be an idiot and just throw around weight, it wont do **** for you. You gotta get that pump, that mind muscle connection first. then start increasing the weight.
also if you want to look like a bodybuilder i wouldn't suggest dropping the rows.
but im not telling you not to do deads; ALWAYS do your deads. (if your a man, that is ;) )

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
The thing with back is to start light. Dont be an idiot and just throw around weight, it wont do **** for you. You gotta get that pump, that mind muscle connection first. then start increasing the weight.
also if you want to look like a bodybuilder i wouldn't suggest dropping the rows.
but im not telling you not to do deads; ALWAYS do your deads. (if your a man, that is ;) )

yeah... warm up.... but saying throwing around weight wont do **** for you is retarded and wrong...

throwing weight around is the ONLY thing that will do something for u..

"muscle-mind-connection" hasnt gotten this guy very far^^

pull heavy from the floor... rows come second... end of story

aceroni

Awards
And if you would have read my post you fat **** I said to get a feel THEN increase the weight. This kid just came off of SURGERY, so OBVIOUSLY if you had a BRAIN you wouldn't tell him to start throwing weight around..
Maybe after the kid has had plenty of time to heal.

Apparently that guy doesn't think much.

aceroni

Awards
And tomahawk, MAD respect to you dude thats some weight..
Id be careful with the mixed grip though, I know a few PL who have torn their biceps doing that!
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I'm js that hand that is gripped as UH stretches that arm out...

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
And if you would have read my post you fat **** I said to get a feel THEN increase the weight. This kid just came off of SURGERY, so OBVIOUSLY if you had a BRAIN you wouldn't tell him to start throwing weight around..
Maybe after the kid has had plenty of time to heal.

Apparently that guy doesn't think much.
lol... U MAD BRO?

for the record, im currently sitting around 205 10% bf naturally with a 585lb deadlift and a 365lb bench....

im also a personal trainer NSCA cert and lifelong wrestler and athlete .... i drop craps bigger than you..

i must say tho- you are decently cut.... but......

abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick.... they dont count

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;oS8yK-oBcLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8yK-oBcLM[/video]

i myself have done a few deadlifts as well

tomahawk what was your weight pulling 675?

aceroni

Awards
alright dude. thats rediculous... 14 reps or 15? i lost count cause the video lagged.. But respect. I apologize.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
And tomahawk, MAD respect to you dude thats some weight..
Id be careful with the mixed grip though, I know a few PL who have torn their biceps doing that!
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I'm js that hand that is gripped as UH stretches that arm out...
i dont know if someone who pulls 675 should be taking advice from someone who weighs as much as a middle schooler.....

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
alright dude. thats rediculous... 14 reps or 15? i lost count cause the video lagged.. But respect. I apologize.
15... know your role son...

aceroni... its ok tho... if you ever need some advice on training/diet, let me know..... i am not a bodybuilder, im more of a powerlifter who cares about aesthetics.... but i can surely help you if you need it.... WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

aceroni

Awards
Yeah buddy I tried to send u a msg but I coouldn't
All i was trying to say is, Im pisass/crabby tired from studying, getting close to finishing my BMS bachelor.. Didnt mean to be a dickhead!
But ya, I was just lookin out for the guy. I seen a good friend PL of mine from a local gym who was pullin big weight with a mix grip then POP went his bicep, guess what? He aint pullin now, at least hasnt been for awhile.

aceroni

Awards
ya u dont look like the PL'rs that i know, sittin at 20% bf with big bellys!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube;oS8yK-oBcLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8yK-oBcLM[/video]

i myself have done a few deadlifts as well

tomahawk what was your weight pulling 675?
I have to give you props for that video. I hate doing deadlifts for reps lol.

That video was 2 weeks ago and I was about 250.

That video was about 13 monthes ago. I was maybe a little over 230 there.

Obviously not as impressive as before but it is hard as hell staying up there.

As far as the over/undergrip I dont see myself changing to a hook grip which is basically the only alternative for me. I dont powerlift and deadlifts are just a fun thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: oli
Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ya u dont look like the PL'rs that i know, sittin at 20% bf with big bellys!
I dont wear black just because I like Johnny Cash's music lol

(in case people didnt get the reference)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do deadlifts as a lower body movement since its a hip dominate lift. So I follow it up with hamstring, post chain, quad, and core work.

newman897

newman897

Awards
watching all these videos when dead lifting should you drop your ass to break 90 degrees at knee or is this form for more heavy 1rm stuff ?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
watching all these videos when dead lifting should you drop your ass to break 90 degrees at knee or is this form for more heavy 1rm stuff ?
from what ive seen, it depends where your strength is...

derek poundstone has no problem deadlifting 800+ for reps with a slight bend in his knee.... other guys SWEAR by hip drive

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
Lift your chest don't drop your hips.

VikingDave

VikingDave

Awards
Absolutely love deads. Favorite day of the week is dead day. I recently ( 1 year) got into them heavy, always did them in the 225 range and have decided to really try to go heavy and add weight. Short term goal is 405. Always do them first on back day, usually 5 working sets.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love deal lifts. I do them every other week or my butt gets so big it looks stupid... I dead lift at the beginning or as at the end of my back workout. I don't care much about weight when lifting in general.. I dead lifted 800 for 1 when I was 18 all natty. But now I jut rep out 405-500 depending on how I feel.

noway55

Awards
I just give deadlifts their own day now. I used to do deads when I worked my back, but I would spend so much damn time loading/unloading the bar and warming up that I would be in the gym too long. Now I just do deads on a separate day and throw in some bicep/ab work afterwards.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
I love deal lifts. I do them every other week or my butt gets so big it looks stupid... I dead lift at the beginning or as at the end of my back workout. I don't care much about weight when lifting in general.. I dead lifted 800 for 1 when I was 18 all natty. But now I jut rep out 405-500 depending on how I feel.
Video of the 800... or something close, or it never happened. :)

Jus sayin

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Video of the 800... or something close, or it never happened. :)

Jus sayin
Don't give 2 focks what u think bro never have never will.

Regardless, it was almost 7 years ago and I will never attempt that weight again. I've been thru one
To many injuries.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
There are back dominant and there are hip dominant dead lifters... Which you are will come naturally. The easiest way to improve your deads when you hit a wall though are two things.
1 which ever you are, concentrate on the other for a bit. If you are hip dominant start subbing stiff deads for reg deads every other work out. I'd you are back dominant start concentrating on dropping your hips more and almost squating with the bar at arms length. Don't care about your single, work sets of 4 or so and do either (depending on your natural style) and then go back to your normal training a cpl months later and you will see a big improvement.
2. This will work for either style, this will help with for, this is something just about every big dead lifter I have known does. Forget about "lifting" the bar. All you should think about is driving your feet thru the floor. In your head think the bar won't move but you are gonna either put your feet thru the floor or push the earth away from the bar. Just try that mind set for a handful if work outs and you will SEE A HUGE DIFF. I GUARANTEE IT.
as far as when you so them, I don't know how you people can do deads early I your work out. I train HIT and if I were to pull a 3-4 rep max set... There us no way I could do any rows afterwards. Just impossible for me. I have always done them last... Or they have been my whole back workout. I would have one back day when I did a cpl rowing exs for back and another day where i would do a cpl pulldown exs and finish with deads and alternate those workouts. At my strongest I had one day where i did legs and back together once a week. One work out was back then finish with squats the next work out was back and finish with deads. I'm still not deading yet, a lill over 5 months post back surgery (unrelated to the gym) but hope to be able to again. It is the best exercise known to man. As far as my best pull... Well undid over 7 in HS in a dead and bench meet, pulled in the high 7's for 3-4 reps years later but don't have vids of those. Do have a vid of stiff legs with 5 though so that would easily come out to over 7 ref dead for a single. But whatever....

Peace

Mrbobcat

Awards
I still do them, but I don't go as heavy as I used to. I messed my shoulder up again the last time I was going heavy for low reps. I think it had something to do with the over/under grip. In the years since, I mostly did stiff-legs after squats. But now that I found the blood and guts workout, I'm doing them fairly heavy again. I'm doing them like Dorian does, ie overhand grip with straps and only going down to mid-shin level. I was up to about 300 for 10 at the end of the last workout cycle. I guess that's not too bad since I'm now doing them at the end of my back workout instead of first.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
I still do them, but I don't go as heavy as I used to. I messed my shoulder up again the last time I was going heavy for low reps. I think it had something to do with the over/under grip. In the years since, I mostly did stiff-legs after squats. But now that I found the blood and guts workout, I'm doing them fairly heavy again. I'm doing them like Dorian does, ie overhand grip with straps and only going down to mid-shin level. I was up to about 300 for 10 at the end of the last workout cycle. I guess that's not too bad since I'm now doing them at the end of my back workout instead of first.
If the weight isn't DEAD on the floor it's not a DEADLIFT. Just sayin

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Don't give 2 focks what u think bro never have never will.

Regardless, it was almost 7 years ago and I will never attempt that weight again. I've been thru one
To many injuries.
Ouch... take it easy man.... not trying to start an e-fight.... I just like to call people out on their bs.... unless they can prove it

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
If the weight isn't DEAD on the floor it's not a DEADLIFT. Just sayin
Well its more of a Romanian dead that dorian did. As far as the wt being 'dead' on the floor.... For a single I agree but I believe deads should be done like any other ex. I can't stand the was a ton of people do them where they almost drop the wt and just do positive reps.... Touch and go is MUCH safer for the back...and more effective also.
Just sayin. ;-)

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Hey you gotta do them how they are safe for you. As far as the grip... That COULD cause problems but ever since my first time doing deads I have alternated grips each set from warm ups on up. Rt under/left over one set and left under/rt over the next. If you do that you will not get the imbalances that cause problems FOR SOME. That is a huge recommendation of mine I forgot to say earlier.... If you use a mixed grip, alternate it each set.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Tensing the triceps will help avoid tearing a bicep

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
This "swollen" dude talks a lot of bs. Seems to me like your a little man with big boy dreams!

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Oh and "swollen" is natural! Hahaha! Please! u definitely don't look unnatural. I'm the natty freak!

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards
Oh and "swollen" is natural! Hahaha! Please! u definitely don't look unnatural. I'm the natty freak!
He's not natural.. He has few logs were he ran orals LMAO his profile says he weighs 210.. More like 180 soaking wet!!!

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
This "swollen" dude talks a lot of bs. Seems to me like your a little man with big boy dreams!
lol.... i talk "bs" ?

im not even taking creatine right now ... i have cycled in the past... but its been over 8 months... and the last thing i ran was primo/winny... low dose for 6 weeks

im 205 lbs right now... and in the vid i posted, i was 195ish deadlifting 405x15 raw .... what are your stats? lol

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
He's not natural.. He has few logs were he ran orals LMAO his profile says he weighs 210.. More like 180 soaking wet!!!
i was 180lbs in 8th grade...

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
the only cycle i logged on this forum contained an injectable....

you guys are mad because lb for lb i probably embarass you in the gym

trenbologna

Awards
This thread is getting super gay, super fast.
Who DOESN'T do deadlifts? wtf..

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Dude really!?!? Not that your stats are impressive. No matter how long ago u were manipulating ur hormones, it still counts. It's not all bout the weight! 405 for 15 reps!!? Ha. Being on that sh..t u should be doing more than that. I'm not taking anything away from ur physique. Even though it was built by cheating. I love when little men think their big! Lol. U look good. But ur still a mere spec on my radar.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
What kinda name is Tren?!? U must be proud juice ball.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Dude really!?!? Not that your stats are impressive. No matter how long ago u were manipulating ur hormones, it still counts. It's not all bout the weight! 405 for 15 reps!!? Ha. Being on that sh..t u should be doing more than that. I'm not taking anything away from ur physique. Even though it was built by cheating. I love when little men think their big! Lol. U look good. But ur still a mere spec on my radar.
i wasnt on anything hormonal in that video...

my 1rm dead is 585 @ 198 raw (again 8 months after a cycle)

my goal is not to weigh as much as i can.... its to be as strong as i can for my weight... i dont care how big i am...

you think 405x15 is easy? post up a video of you doing it @ 220!!! all i hear is hating...

you 6'2 220 approx 15%bf (judging by your avi)

me 5'11 205 approx 10%bf

pretty sure that close to equal amount of LBM

my physique wasnt built by "cheating" - keep in mind when i ran that cycle i ran it on a CUT... from 218-200