Craft Beers / Microbrews: What Are You Drinking?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a stout and porter guy. Pumpking is awesome but I look forward to Warlock all year. In fact, other than their Creme Brulee stout, all of Southern Tier's stouts are top notch.

And I've had two carrot cake beers. CCC was amazing. The other wasn't very good. I believe it was Stone's.
Our local shop has warlock available all year, they have most of the southern tier all year round but I'm not a fan of their stuff, their salted caramel was a let down imo.....my buddy and his father used to stock up on cases of pumpking every October but now we can always get it but I don't care for it

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Our local shop has warlock available all year, they have most of the southern tier all year round but I'm not a fan of their stuff, their salted caramel was a let down imo.....my buddy and his father used to stock up on cases of pumpking every October but now we can always get it but I don't care for it
I didn't even know they made a Salted Caramel beer. I've been out of the game a while, I guess. Maybe I'll try to find it. I really didn't like that Creme Brulee one, though. Way too artificial. I enjoy all styles of beer except for some of the really hopped IPAs. I just roll with the punches, especially since the seasonal stouts only come out in the cold months.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I didn't even know they made a Salted Caramel beer. I've been out of the game a while, I guess. Maybe I'll try to find it. I really didn't like that Creme Brulee one, though. Way too artificial. I enjoy all styles of beer except for some of the really hopped IPAs. I just roll with the punches, especially since the seasonal stouts only come out in the cold months.
haha yeah I've heard not so good things about the crème brulee, the salted caramel wasn't good either, I think they are sort of in the same mold

yeah I don't do ipa's at all, anything that has a slight hint of a hippie flavor...not for me

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The Great Lakes Oktoberfest is a little better, IMO.
Cant agree more. I was really impressed with it. I was disappointed with Sierra Nevada's. My second favorite so far has been Hacker-Pschorr's. Fruhauf Marzën from Pollyana Brewing was also really good.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cant agree more. I was really impressed with it. I was disappointed with Sierra Nevada's. My second favorite so far has been Hacker-Pschorr's. Fruhauf Marzën from Pollyana Brewing was also really good.
Picked up some 2017 Sierra Nevada last night and you're correct. Not bad, but nothing stellar about it.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A co worker of mine recommended Star Dust IPA. Has anyone tried it?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not a marzen Oktoberfest, but still an interesting seasonal.

20170916_190755-600x1067.jpg

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A co worker of mine recommended Star Dust IPA. Has anyone tried it?
had it last night, it was okay, pretty hoppy, I like a lighter / fruitier taste, I certainly don't think you would dislike it though and worth a try for sure.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
had it last night, it was okay, pretty hoppy, I like a lighter / fruitier taste, I certainly don't think you would dislike it though and worth a try for sure.
So what would would you recommend for a lighter and fruitier taste?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm working my way through as many Oktoberfest beers as I can.

Odell.jpg

Not bad. I'd say it's number 4 so far.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So what would would you recommend for a lighter and fruitier taste?
I'm not a huge IPA guy, but I thought Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin was pretty good.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Left Hand Brewing. The search for the best marzen Oktoberfest continues.

LeftHand.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bells Oktoberfest. Surprisingly, not that good. Kind of a funky aftertaste.

Bells1.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I liked it...but it wasnt the best octoberfest by any stretch
Yeah, it's not horrible. A little better than the Sierra Nevada 2017, but far from the best.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the HOP Revolver IPA now? The one I had was Mosiac...

Curious about Ghost Hammer???
The Hop Revolver was Ella, its good but I think I like Mosaic better. Ghost Hammer was pretty good, nice and smooth hoppy taste without a lot of bitterness!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Enough with the IPA talk!

Boulevard2.jpg

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
Big fan of the Cheboygan Michigan blood orange honey brew. Due to I am from Michigan and my family cottage is located near Cheboygan I am a big fan of this beer. Its more of a wheat craft beer not too sweet, not too bitter its fantastic and one of my favorites I do recommend.

BloodOrangeHoney.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Big fan of the Cheboygan Michigan blood orange honey brew. Due to I am from Michigan and my family cottage is located near Cheboygan I am a big fan of this beer. Its more of a wheat craft beer not too sweet, not too bitter its fantastic and one of my favorites I do recommend.

View attachment 155789
Looks good! How strong is the orange flavor?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TheMyth you drank bong water when you were in college, didn't you.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope, never had a sip of alcohol till I was 23! This is done premium beer right here, ridiculous good!! Only problem is it's a one time release... may need to send my wife in to snag 1 more 4 pack for me since they limit how many you can buy!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Had Old Style's Oktoberfest today...Id like a second opinion on it but i think it was about as bad as youd expect. Tasted like an old style mixed with a malt liquor.

LeviRamirez25

Awards
I love how craft beer is becoming much more popular now. It seems like every year there are hundreds of new brewers opening for business in every country. So many great new beers to try! I like darker beers. Ports and stouts. The darker the better!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fellas, I had Dogfish Head Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout on Saturday and omfg it was phenomenal. 10oz of pure 18% abv deliciousness. I was with some buddies who i let have a sip and they ended up getting a glass of they're own. And on their own accord, they "aren't stout fans".

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Not bad, more of a sour, tart, fruity beer. Was pretty delicious if you're into this kind of beer though. Blackberry ale by ballast.

Found it in my mother's fridge visiting her last weekend, ha.

IMG_20170929_200628.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fellas, I had Dogfish Head Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout on Saturday and omfg it was phenomenal. 10oz of pure 18% abv deliciousness. I was with some buddies who i let have a sip and they ended up getting a glass of they're own. And on their own accord, they "aren't stout fans".
Been on the lookout, but haven't lucked into any yet here in the sticks. Dat abv though!!

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always grab barrel aged stouts, it is dessert!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Next up on the Marzen parade......

FlyingDog.jpg

Not bad. I'd say a solid #5 so far.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stopped by the liquor store after the gym today and almost picked some up. But at $35 a 4 pack I just couldn't do it. My birthday is in a few weeks and maybe I'll get myself some then. Maybe.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another non-Marzen Fest beer. Not bad, but not as good as the Deschutes Hopzeit, if I'm going for a hoppier beer.

Surly.jpg

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
20171010_205733.jpg

Both interesting in their own right. Of course I had to drink the Coffee Pumking in my Pumking goblet. You can't see, but it says "Long Live the King."

20171010_210046.jpg