Coop's Corner: Afromamum melegueta and Brown Fat

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Afromamum melegueta – Metabolic Igniter?

It’s been a while since my last supplement spotlight, but with the recent flurry of fat burners centered around activating brown fat or converting white fat to brown fat, I figured it’s time for another installment. This relatively new approach has its upsides and downsides, so we’ll break those down, as well as looking at one particular ingredient in the brown fat burning market: Afromamum melegueta.

So what is brown fat and how do brown-fat-based burners work?​

Brown adipose tissue (BAT) and white adipose tissue (WAT) are two different entities.

WAT is the fat you’re used to hearing about…it’s unsightly and comes with a host of associated health issues. WAT can further be classified as subcutaneous adipose tissue (SAT) and visceral adipose tissue (VAT). SAT is the fat that lies just below the skin. It covers your abs and reduces vascularity, but it is otherwise relatively benign from a health standpoint. VAT, on the other hand, is the fat located below your abs, surrounding your organs. This fat tends to create a distended belly kind of look, and it is associated with cardiometabolic disease and increased mortality.

BAT is completely different from WAT. The tissue itself doesn’t resemble fat at all. Rather, it’s metabolically active and actually contributes to fat burning itself. In infants, it is the primary form of thermogenesis for keeping the body warm. As we age, we lose brown fat (hence dropping our metabolic rate), but evidence shows that much of the population still retains a good bit. By activating brown fat, we could theoretically increase metabolic rate and, thus, fat burning. Brown fat operates via a protein called thermogenin that uncouples oxidative phosphorylation. You don’t need to know what that means, but what you should know is that this form of calorie burning preferentially utilizes fatty acids and even glucose over amino acids…thus, stimulating BAT should be a relatively protein-sparing form of fat loss.

So BAT-based fat burners come in two flavors:

1. Activating pre-existing BAT – Studies show that most of the population has some amount of BAT in their body (termed “BAT positive” individuals). By activating this BAT, we can increase fat burning.

2. Browning of WAT – Efforts are now being made to convert WAT to BAT. As no human studies regarding this mechanism are currently available for products on the market, we will forego this mechanism in this article (but will do an article if human studies arise).

Afromamum melegueta – Human-proven BAT activator

To date, afromamum melegueta is the only DSHEA compliant BAT activator proven to have a clinically significant effect on bodyfat levels. This is very encouraging, because decades of prior research have failed to find a compound that actually worked in humans. There are now 2 human studies demonstrating the efficacy of this extract. Both studies are published in a respectable journal, and both are conducted using expensive and sound methodology including PET scans, randomization, and placebo control.

The first human study noted that without changing the respiratory quotient, 40mg of the extract managed to increase caloric expenditure by about 100 calories a day [1]. This effect is increased as the LBM of the subject increases, so in athletes with more muscle mass, this effect should be more pronounced. The lack of change in respiratory quotient is significant because it indicates that there won’t be negative effects associated with other uncouplers, such as lethargy, rapid breathing, or decreased exercise performance. Of note, this effect is observed only in BAT-positive individuals, meaning that some individuals may be resistant to this mechanism, but the majority should be responsive.

Now 100 calories doesn’t seem like much, but it appears that there’s more going on than meets the eye. The caloric expenditure did increase, yes, but it appears there is a redistribution of total daily caloric expenditure such that more calories are drawn from fat reserves relative to LBM. This is shown in the second human trial, wherein an even lower dose (30mg extract) caused 6.5 cubic centimeters of fat loss in treated subjects, whereas placebo gained 2 cubic centimeters of fat, so the net fat loss relative to placebo was 8.5 cubic centimeters of fat in 4 weeks [2]. Most of this fat was visceral fat (the kind of fat we want to lose), and the leaner the individual, the MORE potent the fat loss effect. Finally, like the prior trial, energy expenditure increased by about 100 calories a day, but the total fat loss reflected much more than this calorie increase.

Conclusion​

8.5 cubic centimeters of fat loss in a month is certainly a significant amount, all without any reported side effects, and all achieved at a low dose of 30mg afromamum extract daily. As a novel approach to fat loss, these human findings certainly solidify afromamum melegueta’s role in a supplemental fat loss regimen.

The all-new PES Shift has a full 40mg of the studied extract (in addition to several other human-proven fat loss agents).

I’m going to try to get more of these rolling, so stay tuned…until next time, happy summer fat burning.

References

1. Sugita, Jun, Takeshi Yoneshiro, Takuya Hatano, Sayuri Aita, Takeshi Ikemoto, Hideyo Uchiwa, Toshihiko Iwanaga, Toshimitsu Kameya, Yuko Kawai, and Masayuki Saito. "Grains of Paradise (Aframomum Melegueta) Extract Activates Brown Adipose Tissue and Increases Whole-body Energy Expenditure in Men." Br J Nutr British Journal of Nutrition 110.04 (2013): 733-38. Web.
2. Sugita, Jun, Takeshi Yoneshiro, Yuuki Sugishima, Takeshi Ikemoto, Hideyo Uchiwa, Isao Suzuki, and Masayuki Saito. "Daily Ingestion of Grains of Paradise (Aframomum Melegueta) Extract Increases Whole-Body Energy Expenditure and Decreases Visceral Fat in Humans." J Nutr Sci Vitaminol JNSV Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology 60.1 (2014): 22-27. Web.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome article, good to see you pumping these out again

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excellent read.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Subbed :D

Edit:

after reading, Im quite pleased i grabbed 5 bottles of Shift. since starting it, around the second week i dropped 3lbs
vs the previous weeks before starting only losing at 1.5-2 on the same macros/calories and not changing anything. keeping cardio the same also, going great so far. hoping to drop another 15-12lbs got some Yohimbe Alphamine coming very soon to run with it, until then have been using 2 scoops Alphamine Advanced seperated from the shift dose, which has worked well.

GD67

GD67

Awards
"The all-new PES Shift has a full 40mg of the studied extract"

Where can I find the lowest price?

Fine read btw.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was the time period of the study?
If you read everything in the OP, you'll see it is stated right above the conclusion paragraph, or you could copy and paste the studies and find your answer.

4 weeks.

Great information Cyrus!

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Awards
What the fuk do we have here, looks interesting Coop

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
so..do we just simply lose brown fat as we age or does it just get less active as we age, or both? is brown fat activity completely random per person or is there more triggers (or opposite of such) like aging, genetics ect.

inb4 future pes burner, Mutate-B. converting white to brown fat cells. im guessing this is just not feasible at the current time to a great extent.

as always coop. thanks for posting, you've been a big inspiration throughout the years of building my knowledge.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
so..do we just simply lose brown fat as we age or does it just get less active as we age, or both? is brown fat activity completely random per person or is there more triggers (or opposite of such) like aging, genetics ect.

inb4 future pes burner, Mutate-B. converting white to brown fat cells. im guessing this is just not feasible at the current time to a great extent.

as always coop. thanks for posting, you've been a big inspiration throughout the years of building my knowledge.
So we do lose brown fat as we develop, but only up to a point. Generally, the brown fat you have at puberty is what you keep through adulthood. Now, any individuals brown fat mass is based on two factors:

1. Genetics - Some people abolish less of their brown fat stores through adolescence without any apparent reason as to why.

2. Environment - People who chronically live in colder climates (most extreme case being Eskimos) have a natural upregulation of brown fat in their bodies in order to produce thermogenesis and maintain body temperature. Interestingly, part of the reason many people get adapted to cold weather and then full super hot indoors (think when you play sports in the snow then come back into your house) is because as you stay outside, your body activates more and more brown fat to increase your internal temperature. There is a delay during the shut off that makes normal temperatures seem super hot after the fact.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
So we do lose brown fat as we develop, but only up to a point. Generally, the brown fat you have at puberty is what you keep through adulthood. Now, any individuals brown fat mass is based on two factors:

1. Genetics - Some people abolish less of their brown fat stores through adolescence without any apparent reason as to why.

2. Environment - People who chronically live in colder climates (most extreme case being Eskimos) have a natural upregulation of brown fat in their bodies in order to produce thermogenesis and maintain body temperature. Interestingly, part of the reason many people get adapted to cold weather and then full super hot indoors (think when you play sports in the snow then come back into your house) is because as you stay outside, your body activates more and more brown fat to increase your internal temperature. There is a delay during the shut off that makes normal temperatures seem super hot after the fact.
very cool stuff. i know you said no apparent reason why but would race/ancestry play a role in brown fat content, ie someone with lineage of eskimos have higher brown fat content vs someone whos pure blood from mexico even if both lived in like oregon their wholes lives or do your theorize its a different genetic thing altogether and your example of eskimos is purely regarding environmental adaption?

This may be a more complicated question that leads outside the context of this thread, but in practical application regarding supplements that effect this, do you think their are any risks to losing more brown fat after adolescence through over activation without necessity? i guess the best made up theory would be is there like a negative feedback loop or something that tells your body to burn it off if its over triggered without environmental necessity (ie cold environment)...

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is nice to see these back again.

I know many people use them as ingredient references. :)

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that hurt your feelings?
I have literally no idea what you are talking about lol.

Feel free to PM me if you want as not to clutter the thread. :)

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
(Sigh) I feel at least 2 bottles of Shift headed my way in my near future, lol
Awesome write up as usual, Coop!

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Great info coop, appreciate the write up!

ahawk01

ahawk01

Banned
Awards
Yep shift plus some sort of forskollin product will be used in my next cut.

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
Nice !

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
so what happens once you stop taking the supplement and what negative effect will there be then

also if you live somewhere where its 100+degrees would this not do much

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good piece coop!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Excellent write-up, Cy!

Great to get all of the information and you laid it out in an extremely easy to follow format.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
I went ahead and took a screen shot, and shared the op in some fb groups! help aware some people now my inbox is flooded with people wanting Shift haha bdcc can confirm ;)

however one stated we are not rats and don't have much brown fat, and said it sounded like a sales pitch. skeptical hippo.jpeg yet, still acknowledged all the other ingredients

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Who remembers CWIT from the late 80's - early 90's? :)

(Cold Water Immersion Training)

Alex281

Alex281

Awards
  • Established
Is there's any difference between using extract or straight 6.paradol ?

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had this in Test powder and boy was the reaction polar to this...

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I went ahead and took a screen shot, and shared the op in some fb groups! help aware some people now my inbox is flooded with people wanting Shift haha bdcc can confirm ;)

however one stated we are not rats and don't have much brown fat, and said it sounded like a sales pitch. skeptical hippo.jpeg yet, still acknowledged all the other ingredients
Luckily both studies Cooper cited are in humans ;)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Is there's any difference between using extract or straight 6.paradol ?
I am not sure. 6-paradol is active, but as so many plants have shown us, sometimes you need the whole plant to do the job and aid the absorption of the actives.

And everything I posted is demonstrated in humans so the rat comment really makes no sense, I didn't read a single rat study in producing this writeup

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure. 6-paradol is active, but as so many plants have shown us, sometimes you need the whole plant to do the job and aid the absorption of the actives. And everything I posted is demonstrated in humans so the rat comment really makes no sense, I didn't read a single rat study in producing this writeup
Wasn't from me lol a macro coach in a group on Facebook made the comment I'm sure he hasn't much idea about it anyway

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am not sure. 6-paradol is active, but as so many plants have shown us, sometimes you need the whole plant to do the job and aid the absorption of the actives.
Sorry to be off topic, but what other ingredients have you seen this with? I remember you mentioning this with Olive Leaf Extract iirc.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry to be off topic, but what other ingredients have you seen this with? I remember you mentioning this with Olive Leaf Extract iirc.
Another big example would be our Y extract

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Resveratrol vs wine, pure amentoflavone vs amentoflavone extracted from plant, sulforophane vs cruciferous vegetables, i3c vs dim, epicatechin vs green tea extract/cocoa extract, etc

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the most obvious and over looked is vitamins and minerals from veggies and fruits..

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
what was the ingredient that helped with thyroid regulation it might have been in norcodrene anyone remember ?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You are probably thinking of oleuropein/olive leaf extract?

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
i have noticed i am shivering allot in the morning usually 40 mins after dosing, and feel a nice warm sensation lol, and am allot more sensitive to cold temperatures than normal.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i have noticed i am shivering allot in the morning usually 40 mins after dosing, and feel a nice warm sensation lol, and am allot more sensitive to cold temperatures than normal.
Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? And cold temp should be warmer?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Had this in Test powder and boy was the reaction polar to this...
I noticed it's in a few tubs of it I have laying around.

I always thought I leaned out a bit when I took Test Powder ?