CK/Anabolic Diet mega thread

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
i can't remember why fructose carbs are bad for carb-ups. Anyone remember?
Fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen. We are primarily trying to feed the muscles.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i can't remember why fructose carbs are bad for carb-ups. Anyone remember?
Pretty sure it is because it is used by the liver, rather then to fill muscle glycogen.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
Fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen. We are primarily trying to feed the muscles.
does this have to do with "fruit" drinks. my grape juice is from concentrate and says nothing about being real fruit juice. any thoughts?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
does this have to do with "fruit" drinks. my grape juice is from concentrate and says nothing about being real fruit juice. any thoughts?
I tend to shy away from fruit drinks made from concentrate because like you said, often times they don't tell you how much real fruit juice is in there. But if it says "fruit juice" on the bottle, then legally in the US it must come from 100% fruit juice. If it is a blend of fruit juice and other ingredients then it may be called something like a "fruit drink" but it cannot say "fruit juice" on the label. Either way, it would be best to stay away from the juice drinks that don't tell you the content. But a "fruit drink" may contain something like 1% of fruit juice from concentrate which would be a negligible amount of fructose. So if the label says "1% fruit juice from concentrate" then this is okay to consume.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I guess my liver is full as **** right now, then

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
well, sunday (1700) and today (1800) i ate lower cals. lowered em from 2200 where i was at last week. no energy loss whatsoever. my lifts continue to improve bit by bit. and i'm incorporating that HIT into the routine. this week will be a 10 minute session after each lift. next week, will be two more sessions, 15 minutes on tue/thur. then i'll up them two to 20 minutes the next week. and then the week after, i'll lower my cals again by 100 or so. this all also includes lowering the carbup a bit. by about 4-6 weeks, i should be all good. gonna order me some BCAA'S to sip on with meals. i'll then of course lower my real food protein a bit. but i feel i want me some of that good BCAA power. gonna go with NP's bulk. no added crap in it, like aspartame, glutamine, etc.

just an update for y'all. i'll let you guys know next week how this week has gone.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
well, sunday (1700) and today (1800) i ate lower cals. lowered em from 2200 where i was at last week. no energy loss whatsoever. my lifts continue to improve bit by bit. and i'm incorporating that HIT into the routine. this week will be a 10 minute session after each lift. next week, will be two more sessions, 15 minutes on tue/thur. then i'll up them two to 20 minutes the next week. and then the week after, i'll lower my cals again by 100 or so. this all also includes lowering the carbup a bit. by about 4-6 weeks, i should be all good. gonna order me some BCAA'S to sip on with meals. i'll then of course lower my real food protein a bit. but i feel i want me some of that good BCAA power. gonna go with NP's bulk. no added crap in it, like aspartame, glutamine, etc.

just an update for y'all. i'll let you guys know next week how this week has gone.
how many carbs right now on your carb up? and what is your weight?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I guess my liver is full as **** right now, then

Actually when you're liver is full, it spills over into fat after you consume excess fructose. The body stores fructose in the liver only, so if you eat 10 bowls of fruit it spills over and you get fat.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
how many carbs right now on your carb up? and what is your weight?
i weigh right now a bit under 200. and as far as my carb up, i was initially hitting 950. and then this past week i hit it down to 850. i was thinking that i'd stick at 800 til i shed a bit more weight, though.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Actually when you're liver is full, it spills over into fat after you consume excess fructose. The body stores fructose in the liver only, so if you eat 10 bowls of fruit it spills over and you get fat.
LOL great. Luckily I only got about 165g fructose carbs.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
LOL great. Luckily I only got about 165g fructose carbs.
You're cool then.

The good news is that it uses liver glycogen as one of the first sources of energy, so even when you're filling up, it's likely tapping into it.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Any truth to the atkins method of "total carbs"?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Any truth to the atkins method of "total carbs"?

It's all subjective. Everyone requires or uses a different number of calories and carbs depending on a million factors.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
It's all subjective. Everyone requires or uses a different number of calories and carbs depending on a million factors.
I meant "net carbs" as in the net carb amount (the important number in atkins) = total carbs-alcohol sugars-fiber= net carbs.

Another Question- Who thinks DinoBites (mimic fruity pebbles) are fructose?

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
I meant "net carbs" as in the net carb amount (the important number in atkins) = total carbs-alcohol sugars-fiber= net carbs.

I would say dinobites are not fructose. How much sugar per serving in those?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Because if it's fructose I don't want to eat much of them. If they aren't, well then I don't care!

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
i don't know what the hell is going on this week. i'm carb-loading right now and i keep breaking into sweats everytime i eat cereal or drink gatorade. any clue?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Don't know but I feel super bloated and lethargic right now. BLAH.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
So I just did a killer legs workout on thursday, with my carb-up being on wednesday. I am deathly sore right now (saturday). I have been eating a ton of protein, but my recovery time still blows. Does this have to do with having no carbs, or am I doing something wrong?

After my workout on wednesday, this is what my day looked like.

Post-Workout- 1 egg, 1.5 scoops ON Whey in water, 2TBS NPB

1 hour later- 1 can Tuna w/ Mayo a handful of walnuts, and a spinach salad with EVOO

the rest of the day was basically 30-50g protein every 2-3 hours, along with various sources of fat.

I repeated the same thing yesterday with my chest/tricep workout, and my arms feel fine. Why are my legs always still really sore for 2-3 days after i work them?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
So I just did a killer legs workout on thursday, with my carb-up being on wednesday. I am deathly sore right now (saturday). I have been eating a ton of protein, but my recovery time still blows. Does this have to do with having no carbs, or am I doing something wrong?

1 hour later- 1 can Tuna w/ Mayo a handful of walnuts, and a spinach salad with EVOO

the rest of the day was basically 30-50g protein every 2-3 hours, along with various sources of fat.

I repeated the same thing yesterday with my chest/tricep workout, and my arms feel fine. Why are my legs always still really sore for 2-3 days after i work them?
Are you eating enough calories and do you have a high enough percentage of fat in your diet?

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Are you eating enough calories and do you have a high enough percentage of fat in your diet?
roughly 3000 calories. I weigh about 150. That should be plenty, right? It might be not enough fat, I'll try to get some more in.

It just seems weird that my upper body always recovers fine, but my legs suck.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
roughly 3000 calories. I weigh about 150. That should be plenty, right? It might be not enough fat, I'll try to get some more in.

It just seems weird that my upper body always recovers fine, but my legs suck.
I'd think 3000 would be enough. You should be getting 65-70% fats. How long have you been on the diet?

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
I'd think 3000 would be enough. You should be getting 65-70% fats. How long have you been on the diet?
This is my 6th week. I haven't really been doing any really intense weight workouts yet though, as I wanted to be sure I had made the "metabolic shift". It's my first time, so I get a little nervous about everything :confused:

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

Subtract the fiber.

Can't find any info on dinobites, they usually have a breakdown on Nutritiondata.com of the sucrose, glucose, fructose, etc that a product has. Doesn't even list it for fruity pebbles.

Some people respond badly to alcohol sugars, I just avoid them in general.

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
well i started again finally...its been 3 days. im not really suffering bc ive done this diet twice in the past so im use to it. im just ready for some carbs! my workouts are amazing str is off the chain. i look really flat right now...im guessing cuz of the no carbs :/

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
Subtract the fiber.

Can't find any info on dinobites, they usually have a breakdown on Nutritiondata.com of the sucrose, glucose, fructose, etc that a product has. Doesn't even list it for fruity pebbles.

fructose i knew about but am i supposed to stay away from glucose and sucrose? are they derivatives of fructose? is there anything else to stay away from? also, i read somewhere that you aren't supposed to have that much fat later in the day (after your workout if you workout at night). anyone hear anything about this?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
How much weight do you guys put on over the weekend from glycogen?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
well I didn't work out yesterday but I had practice. I weighed myself mid-day today and there was no difference between today and friday :/

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Last week i put on 7.4 lbs. Typical for me is about 5-7lbs.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Even today, i am up 4.6lbs over friday.. I usually baseline around Wed-Thur..

Did you have a weak re-feed? What do you typically gain? Any other changes?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
It definitely wasn't weak but it wasn't awesome. I honestly haven't been keeping track of weights after refeed. I thought about it today and couldn't figure out why I haven't been doing it.

I definitely didn't go all out on carbs but it was pretty hefty. Lots of simple carbs with some complex mixed in.

Kalakbar

Awards
4.5 pounds on a weekend of refeeding? God damn. It is not uncommon for me to wake up Friday morning at 277, low carb until 5pm, have a depletion workout, and then hi carb and go to bed at 290. I normally wake up Monday at 288 or so, and then steadily lose about 2-3 lbs a day during the low carb portion of the diet (eating about 3000 calories a day, with about 40 minutes of fasted, low intensity cardio with BCAAs).

Honestly not sure what it is all about with the huge weight gain/loss. Going to try this next weekend with no sugary start, and just 48 hours of slow carbs (oatmeal, potatoes, whole wheat bread/pasta).

On a side note, overall I am looking better/stronger (most of my lifts has gone up at least 20 lbs) at the same weight, but I've noticed I'm getting stretch marks on my biceps. I'm not sure if its due to the weight flucuation, or the DermaTherm I've been trying recently, but it's kinda confusing :p

Regards,
Matt.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
maybe i'll buy a scale. the only scale i use is at the gym so i don't get to weigh myself until about 5:30 at night. either way i'll see what my weight is friday before depletion workout and then monday before workout. what's the rule on working out during carb up? also, its only week three but i think i'm going to change that most of my calories come earlier in the day as opposed to at night.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
6-8 normally. Since I started this superdrol cycle its up to like 10-12 a refeed.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
fructose i knew about but am i supposed to stay away from glucose and sucrose? are they derivatives of fructose? is there anything else to stay away from? also, i read somewhere that you aren't supposed to have that much fat later in the day (after your workout if you workout at night). anyone hear anything about this?

No, I was just saying that Nutritiondata.com usually lists the breakdowns of sugar in a product. Not suggesting that glucose or surcrose are bad.

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
just got back from the gym....added 15lbs to my close grip bench press haha. i love this diet. carbing up tommorow! :woohoo:

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established

I would guess that you just had a killer leg workout like you said. If I push my legs enough in the gym then they won't recover for up to a week sometimes. The legs can take a great beating in the gym...and sometimes you don't realize it until days later when the soreness kicks in.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Subtract the fiber.

I would also avoid sugar alcohol's on this diet. They use a different energy substrate and may take away from your bodies ability to burn fat as its primary fuel source.

The same holds true for those of you who consume MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides) such as coconut oil. They have a different structure than other fats that we preferentially consume on this diet and should be avoided for their ability to use a different energy substrate.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
How much weight do you guys put on over the weekend from glycogen?
Initially, probably the first 1.5-2 months I started this diet I would gain about 7-9 lbs. over the course of the carb up. But after that period, my fluctuation was somewhere between 1-3 lbs. per week once my body was adjusted.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
well I didn't work out yesterday but I had practice. I weighed myself mid-day today and there was no difference between today and friday :/
Speaking of practice Rugby is kicking my a$$ right now. My foot is injured and I can't ****ing walk or run right now. But I'm lovin' the sport and I've learned so much since I began playing. (my apologies for the hijack)

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
maybe i'll buy a scale. the only scale i use is at the gym so i don't get to weigh myself until about 5:30 at night. either way i'll see what my weight is friday before depletion workout and then monday before workout. what's the rule on working out during carb up? also, its only week three but i think i'm going to change that most of my calories come earlier in the day as opposed to at night.
IMO it is not a great idea. This is the time when you should be focused on replenishing your glycogen stores and working out will do just the opposite. If you choose to exercise over the carb up you may notice that you come into your low carb week flatter than usual. For myself, this means less intense workouts during the low carb week which in the long run = less results.

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
IMO it is not a great idea. This is the time when you should be focused on replenishing your glycogen stores and working out will do just the opposite. If you choose to exercise over the carb up you may notice that you come into your low carb week flatter than usual. For myself, this means less intense workouts during the low carb week which in the long run = less results.
good deal. i like the idea of sitting around eating. what about eating majority of calories earlier in day than later? also, is there anything besides fructose that should be avoided during carb up?