Bulking Diet While on Anabolics

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Curious as to how strict you are in regards to your diet when you’re trying to put on size while on cycle?

My previous cycle i was very strict in what i ate and tried to grow a little bit but more of a recomp. This cycle i am on a “see food” diet where any food i see i am eating it. I am trying to eat anything and that means AT LEAST one cheat meal a day. Im curious as to how much of this will turn to mucle while test levels range around 900-1000 while also having some oral help.

What have you guys done in the past to put on the most muscle while mitigating fat gain?

gspark05

gspark05

Awards
I either bulk or cut. If bulking I could care less about gaining fat - I make sure I meet my fat and protein reqs but I couldn’t care less about carbs. I’ve never gotten so fat that I couldn’t get back to shredded on a cut.

B

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I honestly don’t see how any one can get fat unless you are having cake cookies pizza every single meal.. my thing is I hate to use the terms bulk or cut. For me the only time I would actually cut was when I did a show and at that point I was very strict with the diet. However my coach was an old school ifbb pro and they tend to eat the same 80s 90s style of meal plan. Egg whites oats.. chicken rice.. etc etc. I have come to realize you don’t necessarily need to eat such boring foods particular the carb sources.. I mean I have Ezekiel toast rather than oats some times and swap in some other things time to time.. but anyway if your bulking and eating mostly wholesome foods it’s very hard to get fat on that as they have a lot of volume to them without as many calories as heavily processed crap. I have protein carbs and some fats with every meal.. I see no reason to go high carb no fat or high fat no carb. I think your body utilizes them all. Plus you don’t want to develop an unhealthy relationship for food. Trust me bro I been there done that where after I competed and went off-season I stayed strict and you literally will drive everyone nuts basing life around your eating.. and for what.. some days I have 4 meals.. not 6 but that’s fine.. in the past I would have freaked out, bringing food with me.. ughh not worth it at all.. so to answer.. don’t be super strict just have balance and you will make great progress

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Pretty strict. I only go 250-300 calories over maintenance and I don't reduce cardio. I only gain about 8lbs in 12 weeks, but minimal fat. Then maintain that for a few weeks and then slowly cut with a 300 calorie deficit.

I've tried the whole maximum bulk thing (700 calories over, with minimal cardio) and then just got fat 20% body fat and had to work extremely hard to cut down again. Never again.

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Pretty strict. I only go 250-300 calories over maintenance and I don't reduce cardio. I only gain about 8lbs in 12 weeks, but minimal fat. Then maintain that for a few weeks and then slowly cut with a 300 calorie deficit.

I've tried the whole maximum bulk thing (700 calories over, with minimal cardio) and then just got fat 20% body fat and had to work extremely hard to cut down again. Never again.
700 calories over maintenance got your really fat while on anabolics? I feel like i have ate at a surplus of 500-700 during one of my recomp cycles and lost bodyfat % but then again maybe i am discrediting my diet during previous cycles. My current focus is just getting over 210 lbs *currently at 195* and dont see me doing that unless i eat more than just chicken and broccoli. Im trying to eat omelettes every morning with a protein shake, usually qdoba without sour cream or cheese for lunch, and chicken + rice for dinner. Smaller meals of 2 cans of beans or large bowl of cottage cheese plus another protein shake sprinkled in and i would estimate im eating well over 1k above maintenance right now.

I guess we will see how much muscle to fat i gain and adjust accordingly

gspark05

gspark05

Awards
I never understood “lean bulk”. If I’m paying for a hooker I want full service. Sh*t or get off the can you know? Either bulk and accept the 2-5% increase in bf or do a recomp

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Yes it did, but I believe it was lack of cardio. I like to slowly bulk and slowly cut. Personal preference.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I never understood “lean bulk”. If I’m paying for a hooker I want full service. Sh*t or get off the can you know? Either bulk and accept the 2-5% increase in bf or do a recomp
Lean bulk: eating steak instead of ice cream for extra calories.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
For me, personally, it's the way I hold fat. It's all on my love handles and lower stomach. I just feel horrible above 15% body fat, so I prefer a lean bulk.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tend to go for a 1500 calorie surplus, but in meats mainly. The only checking or logging I do on a bulk is just to make sure I ate ENOUGH not making sure I don't eat too much. Pretty easy to do it lean, get a majority of calories from meats, avoid sugar, bread and potatoes. Eat pasta and grains, green vegetables for carbs, red meat for protein, 800 calories per meal, five meals a day. Going to end up roughly two and a half lbs each of meat and vegetables Per day.

As long as it digests, you'll grow.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I also up protein. I don't consume a lot of carbs, I just prefer the leaner approach. I do run absolute minimum gear as well. Nothing wrong with your approach at all.

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much i always shoot for as much protein as possible as well but that might mean fried fish sometimes. Generally speaking i just try to eat as much protein and fiber as possible but if theres a bunch of carbs in a mean im not really phased if im full blown bulking. Im with the guy with the hooker analogy haha

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Low saturated fats, low fast sugar is really important and then consider wether you want high carb or high fat diet. I personally focus more on omega 3 fats and if I bulk I might increase the carbs, mostly oats.

S

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
20181128_175859-2.jpg

6'6 down to 307. I pretty good at blowing up with these long damb muscles. I have a pretty good protocol. I went form 310 to 365 in 3 moths...pretty advanced protocol. I know im no body builder...but i hold my own for being 45..next month. Currently 307, cutting to about 290ish...i want abs by summer. Still losing the 365 and maintaing strength...somewhat. PM me if you want the protocal...works like a dream..and strength is insain...lot for the light heathearded or newbies...but I can help if I can...just an old dude trying to spread 20 years of knowledge and...mistakes..keep grinding my brothers! Oh..this protocal put me from 310 to 365 in 3 months and put 100 on my bench

MarkoK87

MarkoK87

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys,

Curious as to how strict you are in regards to your diet when you’re trying to put on size while on cycle?

My previous cycle i was very strict in what i ate and tried to grow a little bit but more of a recomp. This cycle i am on a “see food” diet where any food i see i am eating it. I am trying to eat anything and that means AT LEAST one cheat meal a day. Im curious as to how much of this will turn to mucle while test levels range around 900-1000 while also having some oral help.

What have you guys done in the past to put on the most muscle while mitigating fat gain?
Bulking is not all about weight gains (many look like this on bulk phase), in bulking your goal should be to gain much more muscle mass with minimum fat gains, basically again clean food but you need to be in caloric surplus. Cheat meal every day is not good way to bulking, you will ended up with 25-30 lb gain but you will gain much more fat than muscle mass. Not to mention estrogen on bad diet + high dose of test.

B

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bulking is not all about weight gains (many look like this on bulk phase), in bulking your goal should be to gain much more muscle mass with minimum fat gains, basically again clean food but you need to be in caloric surplus. Cheat meal every day is not good way to bulking, you will ended up with 25-30 lb gain but you will gain much more fat than muscle mass. Not to mention estrogen on bad diet + high dose of test.
I don’t agree about the cheat meal a day doing that. Bro I literally eat like 5 meals. A day each 10oz cooked protein and carbs if not more. And get up through then night sometimes eating some pop tarts or cookies quite often and I literally do not go over 195 on the scale.. I don’t get how people can just put on 20 pounds like how do you even do that? Maybe because I weight train 6 to 7 days a week 2 hours a clip balls to the wall intense the entire time. I don’t know.. just had breakfast now 6 whole eggs 4 slices Ezekiel bread

MarkoK87

MarkoK87

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t agree about the cheat meal a day doing that. Bro I literally eat like 5 meals. A day each 10oz cooked protein and carbs if not more. And get up through then night sometimes eating some pop tarts or cookies quite often and I literally do not go over 195 on the scale.. I don’t get how people can just put on 20 pounds like how do you even do that? Maybe because I weight train 6 to 7 days a week 2 hours a clip balls to the wall intense the entire time. I don’t know.. just had breakfast now 6 whole eggs 4 slices Ezekiel bread
Well, its quite different to eat sometimes cheat meal than to eat few cheat meals every day. You training a lot, you have probably fast metabolism and that s why you can t go over 195, I m also in same category as you, its really hard for me to go over 200lb, no matter how much I eat :D

B

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, its quite different to eat sometimes cheat meal than to eat few cheat meals every day. You training a lot, you have probably fast metabolism and that s why you can t go over 195, I m also in same category as you, its really hard for me to go over 200lb, no matter how much I eat :D
Yeah it can be frustrating sometimes. But what gets me is that when I was young I was kind of like a chubby kid and I almost feel that weight training for just about 10 years now Turning 29 this month, I have changed my metabolism for sure.

C

City Boy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat quite a clean diet but wouldn’t deny myself of anything especially when gaining weight.Theres cheat meals and cheat meals

S

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat quite a clean diet but wouldn’t deny myself of anything especially when gaining weight.Theres cheat meals and cheat meals
Well today is my cheat meal after training. Cheescake Factory. Im getting 2 pieces for sure..lol

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No biscuit base ? do you use chopped nuts or something
Let me check sir.. And actually it does have carbs but I changed the Greek yoghurt to something we have here called kvarg so we're talking above 100gr of protein and maybe 15 gr of carbs. I mean compared to a normal cake or cheescake it's night and day. It's not like you eat the whole cake at once either.

https://youtu.be/wmn5rQVknH8

B

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I made a cheesecake with protein and no carbs, pretty legit
Fuk that bro just eat the real deal or don’t bother at all. That’s the problem with this industry it creates all kinds of substitutes for this for that and it’s probably just as bad for the body not to mention creates eating disorders

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fuk that bro just eat the real deal or don’t bother at all. That’s the problem with this industry it creates all kinds of substitutes for this for that and it’s probably just as bad for the body not to mention creates eating disorders
Oh I do eat normal food. I just don't put bread in the cake. This isn't like any other cake something i or anyone should eat daily but if you wanna feast without feeling you'll add any fat. The only thing that really changes is protein powder and sweetener instead of plain sugar and no proteinpowder. I also don't use much that amount of sweetener.

B

benjamfzb

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Personally if i eat all the foods and vake i put on no fat on cycle.... clean eating ill revomp to some extent even well above maintenance.

Wanna have fun or get double results?

B

benjamfzb

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Personally if i eat all the foods and vake i put on no fat on cycle.... clean eating ill revomp to some extent even well above maintenance.

Wanna have fun or get double results?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Like I said, I gotta pound the food down to gain the weight but HOOOOO MAN with a good course of an AAS stack, maybe a little GHRP or ghrh, and all that food, I get great results when those planets align.

S

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like I said, I gotta pound the food down to gain the weight but HOOOOO MAN with a good course of an AAS stack, maybe a little GHRP or ghrh, and all that food, I get great results when those planets align.
Almost 2 pounds a day on a bulk. My thyroid needs a walker

MeridelSherif70

MeridelSherif70

Awards
I’ve been on a carbon-free diet, and I look good now. My body fat percentage is very low, but I would increase the percentage of muscle mass. After gradually injecting carbohydrates into my diet, my smart body balance shows that I have a lot of extra water in my system. Could it be due to a decrease in cardio loads, or my smart scales are broken? https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ . My buddy suggested I visit the sauna to get rid of excess fluid in my body. I hope this will help me.

Last edited:
J

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve been on a carbon-free diet, and I look good now. My body fat percentage is very low, but I would increase the percentage of muscle mass.
so dude...this thread is MEGA old!!!! and wtf is a carbon free diet? seriously?

J

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve been on a carbon-free diet, and I look good now. My body fat percentage is very low, but I would increase the percentage of muscle mass.
sounds like you are entering journal notes to yourself? you keepin a diary bro?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure what difference "carbon free" would make to body composition, I can have the exact same macros eating IIFYM as "carbon free". Seems to me to be more an ethical thing than a macro-composition thing.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
it's silly because we are made of carbon. it's the main building block that makes us solid. supposedly we are around 18% made of carbon. without it I think we would be a gas or liquid