Christ83189 back in it

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I think you should look at Alan thrall. YouTube about dloading. You still go about 80% just the volume gets dropped down to like one or two reps.
Really? Never heard that method. Ive watched his stuff before i like him. Ill check it out tonight

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really? Never heard that method. Ive watched his stuff before i like him. Ill check it out tonight
If you're getting ready for like a meat or something that would be different but yeah you should check it out it's very interesting. He doesn't like to be sore that's why he doesn't that way. Him in Silent Mike both deload like that. And I apologize for the choppy wording I'm driving and talking into the phone

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
If you're getting ready for like a meat or something that would be different but yeah you should check it out it's very interesting. He doesn't like to be sore that's why he doesn't that way. Him in Silent Mike both deload like that. And I apologize for the choppy wording I'm driving and talking into the phone
Lol all good. I found a meet in washington in september and im thinking about signing up for it

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol all good. I found a meet in washington in september and im thinking about signing up for it
Power meets are a lot of fun usually; I would urge you to go for it. Show up, talk to people who love to lift, have a good time.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
I do something very similar. Never much below 80%. I’m speaking for myself.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right 75-80 for 3 singles keeps you use to weight.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right 75-80 for 3 singles keeps you use to weight.
Definitely agree with these guys. Cutting intensity down big time makes it brutal on the return week. Dropping off volume & just a bit on weight is the way to go in my experience.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, im thinking im gonna ditch my modified 5/3/1 program. Im just getting bored with it and progress has really slowed down. Can you recommend some good strength programs to look up? I downloaded some from greg nuckols but havent had a chance to look at them yet. Just want a good program to get huge and strong af

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, im thinking im gonna ditch my modified 5/3/1 program. Im just getting bored with it and progress has really slowed down. Can you recommend some good strength programs to look up? I downloaded some from greg nuckols but havent had a chance to look at them yet. Just want a good program to get huge and strong af

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Jamie Lewis has a book called "issuance of Insanity" you can get for free if you subscribe to their newsletter on his site. I enjoy a lot of the things I've learned from him and his training program..

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Jamie Lewis has a book called "issuance of Insanity" you can get for free if you subscribe to their newsletter on his site. I enjoy a lot of the things I've learned from him and his training program..
Ill check it out

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Im contemplating doing a hypertrophy phase woth Doggcrap training. Idk how this woulf affect my strength though. Anyone have any experience with that program.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Burger King

On a serious note, if you wanna be strong on big lifts they need to be present in your training (or close variations). As far as size, that’s going to stem from getting enough weekly volume to drive the hypertrophy you desire. Whether that’s from the main lifts (Juggernaut for example) or
assistance/accessories (Westside-style Conjugate) is irrelevant. Minimalist methods like Dinosaur Training can make you very strong, but won’t do nearly as much to drive hypertrophy.

I haven’t read it in a hot minute, but as I recall the reason I never used his older method was he had a lot more frequency than I was used to. If it doesn’t burn you out it seemed guaranteed to produce some results, and it was simple.

Im contemplating doing a hypertrophy phase woth Doggcrap training. Idk how this woulf affect my strength though. Anyone have any experience with that program.
If you want some full on bodybuilding it could work, but you won’t be maintaining as much proficiency on the big lifts. If you are bodybuilding with the end result being bigger strength you need to do variants of main movements that don’t change. Hi bar squats, incline bench, strict pressing, opposite stance deadlifts for example.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
The trick is to keep going once you burn out.. it takes a minute but you adapt

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The trick is to keep going once you burn out.. it takes a minute but you adapt
My gf’s old coach had most of the crew training full body 4x a week, lifting circa max very often, and lots of volume on top. The guys who started it almost died the first month, but then they accommodated. But most dropped it after a year or so as overuse injuries started creeping up.

I definitely believe you can get used to more, but only to a limit - which is very individual. My gf added a lot of muscle from squatting and rowing almost every session, but she’s a freak.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
See I do a few things that are preventative and also help to add some onto the total volume.. I added a number of things after reading an article on Chuck Sipes that were ideas I'd seen in a few other lifters programming.. supramaximal heavy holds and supramaximal partials on a number of compound lifts.. since I lift alone I typically move the holds to the day after the primary day for a particular movement.. it helps strengthen the joints and tendons.. I have hyper mobile joints so this has helped my lifts immensely..

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Burger King

On a serious note, if you wanna be strong on big lifts they need to be present in your training (or close variations). As far as size, that’s going to stem from getting enough weekly volume to drive the hypertrophy you desire. Whether that’s from the main lifts (Juggernaut for example) or
assistance/accessories (Westside-style Conjugate) is irrelevant. Minimalist methods like Dinosaur Training can make you very strong, but won’t do nearly as much to drive hypertrophy.

I haven’t read it in a hot minute, but as I recall the reason I never used his older method was he had a lot more frequency than I was used to. If it doesn’t burn you out it seemed guaranteed to produce some results, and it was simple.

If you want some full on bodybuilding it could work, but you won’t be maintaining as much proficiency on the big lifts. If you are bodybuilding with the end result being bigger strength you need to do variants of main movements that don’t change. Hi bar squats, incline bench, strict pressing, opposite stance deadlifts for example.
Well obviously im not gonna be doing any program without the big lifts. I just think i wanna add lots of size along with strength and feel like i need more volume than what im doing

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Well obviously im not gonna be doing any program without the big lifts. I just think i wanna add lots of size along with strength and feel like i need more volume than what im doing
Try doing triples instead of the 5x5.. do a warm up set or two then do 6-8 sets of heavy heavy triples or doubles.. finish with 4 set of singles with 5-10lbs above what the triples we're at. If you can't do the number of sets of triples you set out for and they end up being a few doubles then add another single on to the end with the heavier weight.. then do you auxiliary lifts for the muscle group with sets of 4-6 reps heavy.. rest between sets 1-3min depending on how you feel.. instead of doing more reps at once with lower weight.. this let's you get more volume with heavier weights by spreading the volume a little..

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
My gf’s old coach had most of the crew training full body 4x a week, lifting circa max very often, and lots of volume on top. The guys who started it almost died the first month, but then they accommodated. But most dropped it after a year or so as overuse injuries started creeping up.

I definitely believe you can get used to more, but only to a limit - which is very individual. My gf added a lot of muscle from squatting and rowing almost every session, but she’s a freak.
What do you think about cube kingpin? Or what else do you think would fit the bill im looking for? Im gonna stop doing cardio in the AM and switch that to afternoon some days cause im having to rush my lifting and i want more volume and less rushing. Getting up earlier for more time just isnt an option cause i already get up at 2am to lift before work

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What do you think about cube kingpin? Or what else do you think would fit the bill im looking for? Im gonna stop doing cardio in the AM and switch that to afternoon some days cause im having to rush my lifting and i want more volume and less rushing. Getting up earlier for more time just isnt an option cause i already get up at 2am to lift before work
Ran it for 50 weeks. It works if you can assess your weaknesses and builder lifts intelligently, provided you add a second pressing day. It’s not enough pressing volume for most lifters. I also think it’s beneficial on the lower days to use a squat variant on the deadlift day and vice versa instead of just doing tons of squats one day and all pulling the other day. But that has still worked for me.

Cube for Strongman 3 by Josh Thigpen mentions some lifters have had better success on the Cube pressing 3 times per week even. I have always done Lily’s Kingpin method for powerlifting, but Thigpen’s is a nifty read too.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Ran it for 50 weeks. It works if you can assess your weaknesses and builder lifts intelligently, provided you add a second pressing day. It’s not enough pressing volume for most lifters. I also think it’s beneficial on the lower days to use a squat variant on the deadlift day and vice versa instead of just doing tons of squats one day and all pulling the other day. But that has still worked for me.

Cube for Strongman 3 by Josh Thigpen mentions some lifters have had better success on the Cube pressing 3 times per week even. I have always done Lily’s Kingpin method for powerlifting, but Thigpen’s is a nifty read too.
Lilly's kingpin a good one then? Should i look into that one?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you think you just peaked?
Maybe you peaked and need to rev back up.
Are you doing AMRAPS in your 531?
Barbell brigade has free powerbuilding programs.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Maybe. Im just kinda bored with 5/3/1 and dont feel like i get enough volume really. Just wanting something else

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
And yes im doing amraps most of the time. Sometimes i just dont feel like it and that top set just feels heavy lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And yes im doing amraps most of the time. Sometimes i just dont feel like it and that top set just feels heavy lol
That’s okay. The point of an AMRAP is to be auto regulatory - you’re gonna have days like that. The important part is to take what’s there and not be a pu$$y when you do feel good. Speaking about AMRAPs in general here, not talking programs.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
That’s okay. The point of an AMRAP is to be auto regulatory - you’re gonna have days like that. The important part is to take what’s there and not be a pu$$y when you do feel good. Speaking about AMRAPs in general here, not talking programs.
So im doing brandon lillys cube method. My gym doesnt have any bands... Should i try to find a good deal on some? Ive never used them before but it seems like most powerlifters use them and chains and my programming calls for band work quite a bit

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So im doing brandon lillys cube method. My gym doesnt have any bands... Should i try to find a good deal on some? Ive never used them before but it seems like most powerlifters use them and chains and my programming calls for band work quite a bit
Nah. You need to keep hammering your technique, and bands will make that harder - they are an awesome tool and can be a lot of fun, but you don’t need them. If you read both the original Cube and the Kingpin, Lilly explicitly states he dropped band work because he had forgotten how to groove the bar properly (without bands pulling them into place) and encourages you NOT to use them.

Don’t even read the Cube method. Just read Kingpin/Boss - that’s the one you want.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Nah. You need to keep hammering your technique, and bands will make that harder - they are an awesome tool and can be a lot of fun, but you don’t need them. If you read both the original Cube and the Kingpin, Lilly explicitly states he dropped band work because he had forgotten how to groove the bar properly (without bands pulling them into place) and encourages you NOT to use them.

Don’t even read the Cube method. Just read Kingpin/Boss - that’s the one you want.
Why not do the cube method? I already have it and dont a couple sessions from it and really like it so far. I found cube kingpin but to download it i gotta set up my credit card online to get a free trial month with scrib'd so i can download it and then cancel membership which is kind of a pain in the ass lol. But if its a better option thats worth it. I was just thinking sub the banded work for the same movement but heavier bar weight

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Why not do the cube method? I already have it and dont a couple sessions from it and really like it so far. I found cube kingpin but to download it i gotta set up my credit card online to get a free trial month with scrib'd so i can download it and then cancel membership which is kind of a pain in the ass lol. But if its a better option thats worth it. I was just thinking sub the banded work for the same movement but heavier bar weight
Yep, Lily uses 10% more straight weight in place of bands. So instead of dynamic squat being 50% + bands, it would be 60% straight weight for example.

Kingpin/Boss is significantly better. The OG Cube is just a set of principles, the rotation of efforts, but the sample templates are far too work for most. Only a big, advanced lifter that really needs a lot of recovery would benefit from the OG templates.

Kingpin has the brute volume to really make you get some work in. As always, everyone is different, but you will likely get more aggressive results with the more aggressive of the two: the Kingpin.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yep, Lily uses 10% more straight weight in place of bands. So instead of dynamic squat being 50% + bands, it would be 60% straight weight for example.

Kingpin/Boss is significantly better. The OG Cube is just a set of principles, the rotation of efforts, but the sample templates are far too work for most. Only a big, advanced lifter that really needs a lot of recovery would benefit from the OG templates.

Kingpin has the brute volume to really make you get some work in. As always, everyone is different, but you will likely get more aggressive results with the more aggressive of the two: the Kingpin.
So kingpin has more volume for more aggressive results? If thats the case then ill just go through the pain in the ass to download it. Im looking to take my lifting to the next level and im impatient lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So kingpin has more volume for more aggressive results? If thats the case then ill just go through the pain in the ass to download it. Im looking to take my lifting to the next level and im impatient lol
Lemme take you back to my Kingpin days...

“It’s Deadlift Monday Night - this week is Repetition Effort for Deadz, and it’s the second 3wk mesocycle. I’m staring down the barrel of 4 sets of 6-10 reps on floor pulls, 3 sets of 8-10 on 3in block pulls with 30 more lbs than I just slogged through on the floor, and then 30 less than floor for 4x6 on deficit deads. Then I drag my ass to the cable/machine room next door 15 minutes after seeing God & deciding it’s not my time yet, and take a break with 4x15 on pulldowns about 20lbs less than I should be - I’m still trying to stay conscious after all here. Then I pray mightily someone will tell me all the DBs disappeared, but they didn’t so now I’m sweating & swearing my way through 3x12 on heavy one-arm strapped DB rows. Then finally I get climb my slimy ass up onto the old reverse hyper table (after removing 3 gym bags, because that’s the primary function of a reverse hyper) and forcefully drive my belly over and over into the pad as my ass and low back light on fire. Fortunately you can’t focus on either the nausea or the pumps entirely with both going on so gasping for breath becomes the true priority. Then I drag myself to my car seat (covered by a big towel to catch my soaked shirt) where I rationalize skipping low cable rows because it’s already been 150 minutes and I need to eat. I get home, lie broken stretched out flat on the floor for 30 minutes, then don’t eat cuz I still feel sick and have a shake.”

Ah, memories.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

“It’s Deadlift Monday Night - this week is Repetition Effort for Deadz, and it’s the second 3wk mesocycle. I’m staring down the barrel of 4 sets of 6-10 reps on floor pulls, 3 sets of 8-10 on 3in block pulls with 30 more lbs than I just slogged through on the floor, and then 30 less than floor for 4x6 on deficit deads. Then I drag my ass to the cable/machine room next door 15 minutes after seeing God & deciding it’s not my time yet, and take a break with 4x15 on pulldowns about 20lbs less than I should be - I’m still trying to stay conscious after all here. Then I pray mightily someone will tell me all the DBs disappeared, but they didn’t so now I’m sweating & swearing my way through 3x12 on heavy one-arm strapped DB rows. Then finally I get climb my slimy ass up onto the old reverse hyper table (after removing 3 gym bags, because that’s the primary function of a reverse hyper) and forcefully drive my belly over and over into the pad as my ass and low back light on fire. Fortunately you can’t focus on either the nausea or the pumps entirely with both going on so gasping for breath becomes the true priority. Then I drag myself to my car seat (covered by a big towel to catch my soaked shirt) where I rationalize skipping low cable rows because it’s already been 150 minutes and I need to eat. I get home, lie broken stretched out flat on the floor for 30 minutes, then don’t eat cuz I still feel sick and have a shake.”

Ah, memories.
That sounds amazing

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

Ah, memories.
Boy you aint kidding about kingpin. Holy crap

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
So i was on instagram this morning and i came across chris duffins war rig, anyone seen it? Its pretty badass. Its a supercharged durango on 47" tires iirc and its got a crazy exo-cage on it. Its super cool

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So i was on instagram this morning and i came across chris duffins war rig, anyone seen it? Its pretty badass. Its a supercharged durango on 47" tires iirc and its got a crazy exo-cage on it. Its super cool
Yeah, that outfit is bad to the ass!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s not particularly polished, but Kingpin essentially just makes you work hard to catalyze strength gains. What a novel concept
It might have already been mentioned in here but do you have a copy of Kingpin? I would like to have a look at it. Probably a bit much for me but I like to read that type of stuff anyway...

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
It might have already been mentioned in here but do you have a copy of Kingpin? I would like to have a look at it. Probably a bit much for me but I like to read that type of stuff anyway...
I have a pdf. Ill try to figure out how to send it your way. Whats your email?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It would be terrible for you honestly. You are an advanced dinosaur, as Brooks Kubik would say, and pounding your joints with that volume of heavy work would be unnecessary and counterproductive to getting stronger. You have a big base and the way forward for you on the powerlifts would be a very measured approach like 5th Set that uses 9 day microcycles and closely controlled volume, or the base Cube method which is much more like a WSB Conjugate where volume on the main lifts is low and 80% of your work is rotating accessories.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It would be terrible for you honestly. You are an advanced dinosaur, as Brooks Kubik would say, and pounding your joints with that volume of heavy work would be unnecessary and counterproductive to getting stronger. You have a big base and the way forward for you on the powerlifts would be a very measured approach like 5th Set that uses 9 day microcycles and closely controlled volume, or the base Cube method which is much more like a WSB Conjugate where volume on the main lifts is low and 80% of your work is rotating accessories.
Good looking out! Does he have an Advanced Dinosaur book or is that just part of the Dinosaur Training you mentioned? Who's program is 5th Set? I will look that up too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good looking out! Does he have an Advanced Dinosaur book or is that just part of the Dinosaur Training you mentioned? Who's program is 5th Set? I will look that up too.
He does actually but I haven’t read it - I believe Kenpo may have it. Cory “Swede” Burns is the coach who invented 5th Set. He was a pro bodybuilder, went to prison, and needed a way to train with the limited weights and time they had available. He had a crew of guys that all trained under him inside as lab rats and has tweaked his system for years. It is not the best bodybuilding, strongman, or general strength program - it is the most calculated powerlifting program commercially available, and it works beautifully for that narrow purpose.

Check yo email.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
He does actually but I haven’t read it - I believe Kenpo may have it. Cory “Swede” Burns is the coach who invented 5th Set. He was a pro bodybuilder, went to prison, and needed a way to train with the limited weights and time they had available. He had a crew of guys that all trained under him inside as lab rats and has tweaked his system for years. It is not the best bodybuilding, strongman, or general strength program - it is the most calculated powerlifting program commercially available, and it works beautifully for that narrow purpose.

Check yo email.
Can you send me this as well

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Dude the volume day for squats is frickin brutal on kingpin. Holy crap im hurtin