Christ83189 back in it

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright ill start working more on deficit deads. Actually alot of my work pulled from 1" deficit cause of this mat i stand on. But not when im going for PR's.
Yeah 1 inch helps.
Made a difference for me. I did it recently working on hook grip.
I feel like it made the first 25% of the lift faster and easier.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Deficits built mine up. Where do you slow down with the weight that is more important for your progress. Is it harder to break from the floor, or to get it past your knees and get your hips pushed through? If breaking the floor deficits will probably help more. If the upper half of the lift then block or rack pulls are a great way to strengthen those sticking points.
TRUTH

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If it moves good to just above knees and then you battle, it could be poor positioning - that was my issue for a long time. If you start in a crappy position you will end in one.
WORD

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Deads and OHP day

Sumo deads ( never done em and wanted to try it out)

135x8
225x8
315x5
405x5
495x1
Singles at 455x8 30 sec rest

All deads from 1" deficit

OHP
barx15
95x10
135x10
165x5
185x2
205x5 push press

Lat pulldown ss/ HS high row ss/ HS low row

190x10
175x10x2

3ppsx10x3

3ppsx10x3

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice pulls dude! I rarely pull sumo in the past but will be throwing them into the mix more frequently now.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your sumo form is legitimate trash lol

You still pulled that 495 easy despite this - I would say you have excellent sumo potential and should consider moving to this as your comp form. You could pull 545 rightnow with some form tweaks.

You need to get your shoulders back more (they’re forward of the bar atm) and turn your chest up while actually trying to wedge your hips into the bar from the starting position instead of just shooting your hips up and straight leg humping to completion.

This may sound harsh but it’s actually excellent - if you are doing this much with everything wrong, imagine what you could do if you’re actually in position?!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Chris Duffin has some great videos both tutorial and of him training sumo, and he’s the sumo GOAT (1,003x2). I highly recommend you peep them for some tips and motivation.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

You still pulled that 495 easy despite this - I would say you have excellent sumo potential and should consider moving to this as your comp form. You could pull 545 rightnow with some form tweaks.

You need to get your shoulders back more (they’re forward of the bar atm) and turn your chest up while actually trying to wedge your hips into the bar from the starting position instead of just shooting your hips up and straight leg humping to completion.

This may sound harsh but it’s actually excellent - if you are doing this much with everything wrong, imagine what you could do if you’re actually in position?!
Damn why dont you stop sugar coating it for me and tell me like it is? Lol. Ive never pulled sumo nor have i ever studied form and how to do it right considering ive never done it nor have i ever considered doing it but i did it on a whim today and liked it. So ill watch some videos on it and try to get my form right next dead day and see how it goes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Damn why dont you stop sugar coating it for me and tell me like it is? Lol. Ive never pulled sumo nor have i ever studied form and how to do it right considering ive never done it nor have i ever considered doing it but i did it on a whim today and liked it. So ill watch some videos on it and try to get my form right next dead day and see how it goes.
Brother you got 600 in 12 weeks if you keep working it! Sumo from floor and supplement with conventional block pulls or deficits depending on weakness after the main lift.

You seem built for it!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Its usually getting above the knees. I dont really fail that often on deads but when i do thats where it is
Alright ill start working more on deficit deads. Actually alot of my work pulled from 1" deficit cause of this mat i stand on. But not when im going for PR's.
From what you are saying here it sounds more like you are good off the floor but need some work on the upper end. Of course this could be part of your wedge, and tightness also because for every little bit the bar is traveling out in front of your knee the leverage becomes a massive disadvantage for your hips and lower back. One inch can amplify how much force you need to finish the pull drastically.

You might want to try really focusing on wedging yourself into the bar really tightly, and concentrate and pulling the bar into you with your lats so the bar doesn't travel out in front of you, as well as adding in some block and or rack deads from below the knee.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Brother you got 600 in 12 weeks if you keep working it! Sumo from floor and supplement with conventional block pulls or deficits depending on weakness after the main lift.

You seem built for it!
You think so? I guess im going for it then.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Agree 100% I was surprised it went up. That could really carry over to some serious weight

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chris Duffin has some great videos both tutorial and of him training sumo, and he’s the sumo GOAT (1,003x2). I highly recommend you peep them for some tips and motivation.
But without straps is he the goat?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Didn't Conan pull sumo?

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
1,003 for a double? Dang dude

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a Dan Green fan when it comes to prettiness. He executes the Sumo flawlessly

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But Chris Duffin's videos are the bomb hundred percent agree with that

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I'm a Dan Green fan when it comes to prettiness. He executes the Sumo flawlessly
Yeah dan greens a freakin beast. I guess it probably helps that hes so short his range of motion is like 6 inches lol. Hes one of my favorite lifters

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah dan greens a freakin beast. I guess it probably helps that hes so short his range of motion is like 6 inches lol. Hes one of my favorite lifters
Ed Conan is even shorter.
You got sumo skills bro.get after it

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But without straps is he the goat?
Is someone pulling more? I don't really see straps as a huge benefit for 1 or 2 reps. Then again I can mix grip more than I can lift, but in training I try to stick to an Overhand grip even if that means using straps or my versagripps. Just keeps things more in balance and less risky to my biceps.

To me the deadlift is a posterior chain test of strength, and not a grip exercise. So I don't care too much about the straps. Grip can be a limiting factor but if you can pull the weight up off the ground and lock it out, you can pull it off the ground and lock it out. The target muscles are still getting all that work. Considering him doing it is the result of an elbow injury I don't hold it against him.

I guess the real question as far as what you are getting at is does he hold the record for his weight class in his division without straps? That I do not know.

Yeah I like Dan Green as well!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is someone pulling more? I don't really see straps as a huge benefit for 1 or 2 reps. Then again I can mix grip more than I can lift, but in training I try to stick to an Overhand grip even if that means using straps or my versagripps. Just keeps things more in balance and less risky to my biceps.

To me the deadlift is a posterior chain test of strength, and not a grip exercise. So I don't care too much about the straps. Grip can be a limiting factor but if you can pull the weight up off the ground and lock it out, you can pull it off the ground and lock it out. The target muscles are still getting all that work. Considering him doing it is the result of an elbow injury I don't hold it against him.

I guess the real question as far as what you are getting at is does he hold the record for his weight class in his division without straps? That I do not know.

Yeah I like Dan Green as well!
I'm not taking anything from Duffin.
He's in my top 5 of favorites.
But yes he absolutely pulls more weight with straps.
So does green.
All those guys use straps at the ARNOLD right?
My dispute was GOAT at sumo
I vote for Conan.
I was jaw dropped wen I watched Duffin hit that double no doubt
But my opinion , when talking GOAT, would be without straps.
I think Duffin still pulls high 800s with out straps.....so yeah he's the fcking MAN. No argument there. No argument at all actually. Just wondering thought on GOAT without straps in general.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Props to you, Chris! I enjoy watching the videos! We are all rooting for you!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm not taking anything from Duffin.
He's in my top 5 of favorites.
But yes he absolutely pulls more weight with straps.
So does green.
All those guys use straps at the ARNOLD right?
My dispute was GOAT at sumo
I vote for Conan.
I was jaw dropped wen I watched Duffin hit that double no doubt
But my opinion , when talking GOAT, would be without straps.
I think Duffin still pulls high 800s with out straps.....so yeah he's the fcking MAN. No argument there. No argument at all actually. Just wondering thought on GOAT without straps in general.
For sure, that is why I specified in my post that I can mixed grip more than I can lift so I haven't reached a point where my grip was the limiting factor. Those guys are lifting HUNDREDS more than me so grip definitely becomes a factor then I am sure!

Yeah I was curious on that too. I don't know but like you said guys are using straps at the Arnold so is he the GOAT with straps compared to others with straps? If so he is the GOAT for Strapped Sumo Deadlifts. ;)

When you say Conan do you mean Ed Coan?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For sure, that is why I specified in my post that I can mixed grip more than I can lift so I haven't reached a point where my grip was the limiting factor. Those guys are lifting HUNDREDS more than me so grip definitely becomes a factor then I am sure!

Yeah I was curious on that too. I don't know but like you said guys are using straps at the Arnold so is he the GOAT with straps compared to others with straps? If so he is the GOAT for Strapped Sumo Deadlifts. ;)

When you say Conan do you mean Ed Coan?
Yup ed conan

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yury Belkin IMO has the best sumo. Duffin is a fountain of knowledge for sure.

I would focus on wedging better, chest up and screwing your elbows into your lats (or focus on the outside of your palms if you pull hook turning into the bar)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yup ed conan
Lol it’s Ed COAN - Conan was a badass fictional barbarian.

Duffin holds the Guinness World Record for weight lifted in the sumo deadlift regardless of gear, and he did it without a suit to boot.

No man in any amount of gear, at any bodyweight, and with or without straps has EVER pulled 1,003 from the floor except Duffin, and he nearly did 3 reps at that. Coan, Belkin, & Woolam are the best 220 Sumo pullers ever, no doubt. But the biggest pulls from floor belong to Duffin.

If you want to talk lords of grip, you should be looking at top Pro Strongmen like Jerry Pritchett demolishing 900lb frame carries up a ramp without straps.

Ed Coan is the coolest though. Got to shake his hand at the Olympia and he is so nice. And his hands are HUGE.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Duffin holds the Guinness World Record for weight lifted in the sumo deadlift regardless of gear, and he did it without a suit to boot.

No man in any amount of gear, at any bodyweight, and with or without straps has EVER pulled 1,003 from the floor except Duffin, and he nearly did 3 reps at that. Coan, Belkin, & Woolam are the best 220 Sumo pullers ever, no doubt. But the biggest pulls from floor belong to Duffin.

If you want to talk lords of grip, you should be looking at top Pro Strongmen like Jerry Pritchett demolishing 900lb frame carries up a ramp without straps.

Ed Coan is the coolest though. Got to shake his hand at the Olympia and he is so nice. And his hands are HUGE.
REALLY. Fck!!! Did you get a pic.
I'm talking in my phone so it came out Conan haha.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Coan is my GOAT. To me straps matter.
But yeah Duffin is sick AF.
Reversed bench 315 for some crazy number like 25 or something.
And his instructional videos are top 3 in my book.
I'm hoping Green gets to the 900s
But I'm not disputing Duffins sickness.
Does he compete in comps? I feel like I Havnt seen him do any?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Coan is my GOAT. To me straps matter.
But yeah Duffin is sick AF.
Reversed bench 315 for some crazy number like 25 or something.
And his instructional videos are top 3 in my book.
I'm hoping Green gets to the 900s
But I'm not disputing Duffins sickness.
Does he compete in comps? I feel like I Havnt seen him do any?
Duffin is done competing with his elbow nerves ruining his grip. He did just squat 800lbs raw every single day for 30 days to raise money for the special Olympics. I believe he is building his conventional atm to be the first guy to ever pull 1,000 in both stances, and if he builds his squat up he could go for the only guy to ever pull & squat 1,000 under 300lbs.

Green smoked 900 conv in the cage with straps. He can get there for sure in a meet.

Ed Coan is very down to earth. I was too shy to bother him the couple times I’ve seen him talking at the Chi Fit Expo, but he had been watching my gf compete at the Olympia so I stopped him to meet him.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Duffin is done competing with his elbow nerves ruining his grip. He did just squat 800lbs raw every single day for 30 days to raise money for the special Olympics. I believe he is building his conventional atm to be the first guy to ever pull 1,000 in both stances, and if he builds his squat up he could go for the only guy to ever pull & squat 1,000 under 300lbs.

Green smoked 900 conv in the cage with straps. He can get there for sure in a meet.

Ed Coan is very down to earth. I was too shy to bother him the couple times I’ve seen him talking at the Chi Fit Expo, but he had been watching my gf compete at the Olympia so I stopped him to meet him.
Tight.
Duffins the man.
I hope Green keeps up his momentum.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yo Chris back to the competing discussion - I believe you said you’re in Idaho. It’s too late now but there’s a United States Strongman show going on in Meridian near Boise today - promoted by Rachel Pyron, who is great. It says 3rd annual, so this comp will likely be happening again around this time next year.

Wish I’d have seen it sooner, but even the Novice weights are heavy enough that you’d want to train some anyway before showing up - could be something to plan on next summer?

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yo Chris back to the competing discussion - I believe you said you’re in Idaho. It’s too late now but there’s a United States Strongman show going on in Meridian near Boise today - promoted by Rachel Pyron, who is great. It says 3rd annual, so this comp will likely be happening again around this time next year.

Wish I’d have seen it sooner, but even the Novice weights are heavy enough that you’d want to train some anyway before showing up - could be something to plan on next summer?
Really? Cool sounds good. Ill plan on that then. Definitely too late cause thats like a 5 hour drive or something retarded like that

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Met Dan at the Arnold a few years back. He was thick and dense, built like a brick **** house. You know what’s cool? He was super nice and talked with me for a minute. Was refreshing to meet someone that’s famous on IG that isn’t a tool.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Met Dan at the Arnold a few years back. He was thick and dense, built like a brick **** house. You know what’s cool? He was super nice and talked with me for a minute. Was refreshing to meet someone that’s famous on IG that isn’t a tool.
Nice! Thats really cool. Someday im gonna go to one of these expo's. I live in a really inconvenient location when i comes to going to anything like that

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! Thats really cool. Someday im gonna go to one of these expo's. I live in a really inconvenient location when i comes to going to anything like that
Yeah man, you should totally go. The Animal Cage was insane as all kinds of folks were moving heavy ass weight. I also got to meet Mark Bell, Dennis James, Frank McGrath and Hidetada Yamagishi. Not to mention, there were tons of smoking hot fitness chicks everywhere too! The angle on this pic with Dan makes me look fat as ****, but oh well, it was cool meeting him.

IMG_6480.JPG
IMG_2719 2.JPG

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I live 30 minutess from Mark Bells gym. Me and some guys have gone several times. I guess I think I'm bugging or something, I never get a pic.
I've gone to his bench seminar.
And silent mikes deadlift seminar.
I need to start just asking for pic time!!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

And his bicep was torn wen he pulled 900.
I think. Could be wrong.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I live 30 minutess from Mark Bells gym. Me and some guys have gone several times. I guess I think I'm bugging or something, I never get a pic.
I’m sure he would. Most guys that come from heavy lifting are very down to earth and appreciate the fandom - it’s not like Kanye where their faces are on every tv, and they still pull their pants on one leg at a time every morning before they make their breakfast to some ache or pain just like we do.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do it, they would love that. Every tag of them in a pic is good for their online presence.
I’m sure he would. Most guys that come from heavy lifting are very down to earth and appreciate the fandom - it’s not like Kanye where their faces are on every tv, and they still pull their pants on one leg at a time every morning before they make their breakfast to some ache or pain just like we do.
Yeah they are only a big deal if you power lift or are very into other forms of lifting that powerlifting carries over too. Otherwise to everyone else walking down the street they are just another big dude.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Looking like this us gonna be a deload week. Dang it. I hate deloads

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking like this us gonna be a deload week. Dang it. I hate deloads
I think you should look at Alan thrall. YouTube about dloading. You still go about 80% just the volume gets dropped down to like one or two reps.