Cardio Preference?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm beginning to think that different forms of cardio really effect people differently. My dad runs 3 miles almost every single day and doesn't lose weight too quickly.

But over the years I've noticed whenever I add running back to my regiment, the pounds just melt off. I only started running again recently and it's already huge. But my body simply will not allow 3 miles a day without my plantar flaring up.

I have also found pretty solid success with CrossFit style HIIT WODs, although I'm one of those who is guilty of overtraining this style and hurting my 1rm numbers in exchange for leaning up a lot and boosting conditioning.

What do you guys do, if anything, to add a bit of cardio in when cutting?

My favorite was always the HIIT wods. creating one that matched my lift for the day by putting accessory lifts into the WOD> although like I said, I think I tend to overtrain when I do this. That simple extra 1-2 miles seems to give me the most bang for my buck in terms of strength / fat loss balance.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with what you do. I will just go to the CrossFit site and look up a WOD to do that involves a little running or biking and call that my cardio day.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't really use cardio as a source of weight loss but I do in order to supplement it or increase my NEAT. Aside upping my steps to 12-15k/day, I bought a sled to drag in my backyard. Sometimes I'll walk with it for a half hour straight, forwards and backwards. Sometimes I'll hook up 2 straps and do upper body stuff with it as I drag it. Other times I'll load it up heavy and get some heavy drags in. I'll also go on walks with a kettle bell, just added weight. Switch hands. Bottoms-up carrying it. Etc.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
KB carries are solid. farmers carries obviously are good, but holding them in an upright position against the chest is another interesting attack on the back and abs/core. I've been really impressed by what KB's can do.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I prefer not to do any, other than some occasional walking- which barely even qualifies as cardio.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i guess i'm the odd man out here, i enjoy running...i've been running since high school to get in shape for football and tennis. i had to stop running when i got bone on bone in my right knee, it's been great to be able to run again after my knee replacement.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't "add" cardio when trying to lose weight.

I think the problem people tend to have is they don't view cardio on the same spectrum or with the same fervor as they do their weight training.

"Cardio" ranges on a spectrum, similar to intensities with the weights, with varying degrees of different adaptations, lengths, and recoverability.

I could probably go on way too long about this, but trying to keep it concise in general my "cardio" (and I do a decent bit of "metcons" or the like) is part of a targeted training plan that tries to keep recovery and progress in mind to benefit everything overall, so it doesn't really change when I go to lose weight.

What does "change" more so is that I monitor steps. It isn't perfect, but I try to maintain a similar step count when I lose weight, just to try and manage any drop in NEAT. So I may add some real low intensity work (walking) if I find my moving around is less.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sprints and HIIT strength & conditioning are my go too’s. I have had a few times when I’m forced to do more low impact and for that I choose the stair climber.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t look to cardio to lose weight. I eat less calories. Cardio is for my overall health and endurance. The only weight loss benefit may be being able to eat a little more and still be in a deficit. But diet or no the cardio doesn’t change.

I brisk walk 10 miles 3-4x per week. On lift days I do 10 min pre workout. And on 5th day I have an hour on the treadmill at full incline. Sucks getting old and broke lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I usually get it done in 2:45. A few time I was in the 2:30 times. Me and my wife get up early and hit the lake by 5am to beat the bicycle goobers and the heat. We get to catch the sunrise while we are out as a bonus.
that is some'no foolin around' walking!!!

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've always done LISS on a treadmill for a long time. Usually on an incline and working up to faster paces. and trying to hit 15-20k steps a day. I like the stair master but it takes away from my leg training.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We do it fasted as well. The protein snack or goodie I have in the truck waiting on me is the only thing on my mind by mile 7 or 8 lol.
what about fluids, that is a considerable amount of time to 'briskly walk' without fluids...i am usually at least halfway thru my water bottle at 2 mile mark. i know all about needing a snack after!!!

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
what about fluids, that is a considerable amount of time to 'briskly walk' without fluids...i am usually at least halfway thru my water bottle at 2 mile mark. i know all about needing a snack after!!!
I usually have drank 32oz by the time I get to the lake and I walk around with a bottle which is usually empty by the end.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I usually get it done in 2:45. A few time I was in the 2:30 times. Me and my wife get up early and hit the lake by 5am to beat the bicycle goobers and the heat. We get to catch the sunrise while we are out as a bonus.
I mean... that's awesome. I thought for sure you were going to say 10 miles was a typo lol. I just literally don't have an extra 3 hours in my mon-fri life between work and commute but a hike/walk is definitely lower impact than sprints. my body would appreciate that a lot more.

Seems like the best cardio for me to get good results and lean up is always whichever form of exercise is hardest on my body and joints.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I respond best to the stairclimber and get my leanest when using it. I love it so much I signed up for a bougie gym earlier this year just because they had a location with 6 stairclimbers and there was almost always one available, and not the peddle kind but the actual revolving stairmill kind.