Can supplements prevent other medicines from working?

s_anthony

Awards
I have migraine headaches, whenever I get one they are very predictable. My vision starts to go out, and about 30 minutes later my headache will start to come on. If I take my medicine (Midrin) when my vision first starts to go out, I can expect to get a very mild headache that will subside after about an hour. It's nothing more than an inconvenience. But if I don't take my medicine in time, the pain will be very intense, it will last for many hours, and I may even get nauseated. It ruins the whole day.

Two nights ago my vision started to go out, so I took my medicine immediately and laid down in bed, thinking that I would be up and about again in a little more than an hour. But to my surprise, after awhile I started to get a sharp, intense headache. It ended up being one of the worst I've had in several years. I didn't fully recover until the next afternoon, well over 15 hours since I started getting the migraine.

I was on day 4 of an Activate, Diesel Test, 6oxo stack. I'm wondering if one of these could have somehow blocked my medicine from kicking in. Does anyone know if that's possible? I had just taken some 6oxo and Activate about 10 minutes before my headache started coming on.

I've had this medicine for several years, and I've probably had 20 migraines that I've taken it , and only one other instance has the medicine completely failed to work. I wasn't on any supplements at the time, so I know that it is possible for the medicine to fail sometimes for no apparent reason, but it is rare.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
All chemicals (food/herbs/meds etc) have interactions. The most obvious one being grapefruit juice and it's extracts. Milk thistle effects cholesterol meds, hawthorne can effect BP meds and on and on. Most meads were plant/mineral extracts to begin with.

So yes it could be having an effect. You can either try to clear it with your doc (good luck) or try adding in the supp's one at a time to see what happens. It may be the combination of 2 or more also.

My doc(s) go bannanas when I tell them all the supps I take and are always wanting me to stop everything (except the scripts they want me on of course).

Good luck hope it clears up and stops bothering you. I know it can be a major problem (one of my kids get regular migraines).

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
x2 on what glg said. Supps can have anywhere from a mild to a major impact on your rx meds. If you're on scripts then you need to research the hell out of your supps and check those ten information sheets that come with your drugs.

If you can't interpret the info and really don't know you have two options. Have someone you trust who has the knowledge check it out or ust stop with the supps outside of your meds.

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
I think all of us should focus more on learning why we get certain medical problems and solve it by natural means instead of scripts!

I refuse to even take a asprin/anti biotics, because I know how bad it will effect my body.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Yes they can. Discontinue use. You might then consider adding them back in one at a time to see if you can identify the problematic one.

Last edited:

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I think all of us should focus more on learning why we get certain medical problems and solve it by natural means instead of scripts!

I refuse to even take a asprin/anti biotics, because I know how bad it will effect my body.
I'd swallow that comment with a grain of salt.

Do not throw everyone under the bus just because of a few bad drivers....

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The most obvious one being grapefruit juice and it's extracts. Milk thistle effects cholesterol meds, hawthorne can effect BP meds and on and on. Most meads were plant/mineral extracts to begin with.
Obvious? Not too sure. Most are oblivious to most things.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
If I take my medicine (Midrin) when my vision first starts to go out, I can expect to get a very mild headache that will subside after about an hour. .....

I've had this medicine for several years, and I've probably had 20 migraines that I've taken it , and only one other instance has the medicine completely failed to work. I wasn't on any supplements at the time, so I know that it is possible for the medicine to fail sometimes for no apparent reason, but it is rare.
It's entirely possible. Isometheptene, the most active ingredient in Midrin, is metabolized by the CYP 2E1 and CYP 1A2 cytochrom p450 liver enzymes. If any of your supplements are metabalized by those enzymes, you may run into problems. It's hard to tell exactly how your body is going to respond to things until it happens, as well. The same supplement might increase the acitivity of a cyp p450 in some people and decrease the activity in others.

And just as an FYI, you might seriously want to stay away from alcohol consumption while on Midrin. I'm just saying that Cyp 2E1 plays a role in its elimination, and mixing those two might not be the greatest idea, especially in high doses.