Caffeine And Catechins

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Does drinking or taking caffeine-(coffee) or catechins-(Tea) with or after meals inhibit the absorbtion of protein and other nutrients?

Thanks in advance and Reps for responses

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I hope not, or there will be a lot of sad "Protein Coffee" buyers...

Never read anything of the sort, anywhere - but let's see what others come up with in human athletes, real world significance.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can't see how that would work. I wouldn't worry about it as stated protein coffee is a regular thing and there is absorption.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
there are small amounts of caff/cats in a zillion things... if caff/cats really did inhibit protein absorption we would all have scrawny muscles ha

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember reading something about catechins in tea hindering protein and micronutrient absorbtion, but nothing in regards to caffeine.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry if I sound a little stupid here but can someone simplify this part please?
"However, the effects on the protein digestive enzymes (inhibition) are greatly alleviated when one salivates; proline-rich peptides are secreted in the saliva which can reduce the inihibitory effects on protein-digestive enzymes."
Basically, when you salivate, there are peptides secreted in your spit that neutralize the protein-inhibiting enzymes....therefore feel free to consume your coffee, tea, caffeine, etc. with peace of mind that it's not stealing your gains.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry if I sound a little stupid here but can someone simplify this part please?
"However, the effects on the protein digestive enzymes (inhibition) are greatly alleviated when one salivates; proline-rich peptides are secreted in the saliva which can reduce the inihibitory effects on protein-digestive enzymes."
I think it means that the enzymes in the saliva that the protein gets covered in during chewing prevent the catechins breaking it down. Basically like a protective coating... I think