Bulletproof MCT Coffee mixture?

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I'll look into the temperature thing because you've got me curious now. I use a plastic electric kettle.
As for the steeping time, I suppose just jamming the melitta's filter down will stop it up ( this happens accidentally all the time anyway). It takes the thing quite a while to pour a cup anyway... something I've never bothered timing, but I'm certain is at least 3 minutes.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Then you haven't tried a good burr grinder. A blade grinder creates a very non-uniform grind. The small fines over extract, and make it bitter; the large particles under extract. A good burr grinder creates more uniform grind particle size, and far better extraction of flavor. It's remarkable how much better a baratza encore is then a blade grinder, and I'm talking taste in the cup.

The clever is better because instead of just pouring through the grounds with little steep time, it has a stopper. You pour the water over the grounds in the clever, let it sit for 3-4 minutes like a french press, then set it on a cup which opens the stopper and let's it drain out. Again, a remarkable difference.

Boiling water... I can guarantee you your water is too hot, unless you live in sub zero temps. At 70 ambient temps ,it takes around 5 minutes for my kettle, when half full, to cool to 200.
If i lived in the US,id get my beans from you. Like the wizard of coffee

IICybershotII

Awards
Coffee makes me poo 20x a day but I love that caffeine high and it's not the same from other sources. Does better quality coffee fix this?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coffee makes me poo 20x a day but I love that caffeine high and it's not the same from other sources. Does better quality coffee fix this?
Fix pooing? Sorry, I can't trump nature. :p that effect is a result of caffeine, among other things.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
THANK YOU.

That dude claim he invented butter in coffee is bein a knob. Thats been done in the middle east for a LONG time. They like their ghee over there (clarified butter).
"I learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet when I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea."

Its amazing how people simply don't read.

tristen22001

Awards
I have to admit, I've always hated the taste (and even the smell) of coffee but a few weeks ago I tried blending butter and coconut oil into coffee and loved the taste and energy it provided. I've since switched to adding butter and coconut oil to matcha green tea and really like it too.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"I learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet when I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea."

Its amazing how people simply don't read.
Last time I checked, it wasn't on his site, and he made no effort to do anything ing but claim it as his idea. Maybe it changed. Doesn't really matter: butter is cream, cream is butter. Use what you like. Or go black. I do.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last time I checked, it wasn't on his site, and he made no effort to do anything ing but claim it as his idea. Maybe it changed. Doesn't really matter: butter is cream, cream is butter. Use what you like. Or go black. I do.
Are you kidding? I directly copied that from his site. Its always been there. Hell he has a picture of himself there.

He never claimed to invent it...I think you made no effort in reading or listening to him.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
  • Established
If i lived in the US,id get my beans from you. Like the wizard of coffee
His beans are legit. I need to place an order soon.

And poison, I owe you a huge thanks for exposing me to real coffee. Years of feeling like something was missing from that crappy ground big chain brand stuff. As well as the brew process. I grabbed a burr grinder off your suggestions at the other forum. So thanks you sir!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
His beans are legit. I need to place an order soon.

And poison, I owe you a huge thanks for exposing me to real coffee. Years of feeling like something was missing from that crappy ground big chain brand stuff. As well as the brew process. I grabbed a burr grinder off your suggestions at the other forum. So thanks you sir!
Happy to help, bro! I'll be out of town for a week, day job unfortunately snags me every now and then. Tomorrow is my last roasting day until next week.

I can't wait to only be roasting coffee!

Pounditz

Awards
"I learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet when I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea."Its amazing how people simply don't read.
Hahaha your sarcasm was correct, no reading, not one word.… Joe Rogan youtube post you did…@15:35.

Pounditz

Awards
Poison, do you do any dark roasting, italian, french, x2french? Love me some high quality smokey beans :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hahaha your sarcasm was correct, no reading, not one word.… Joe Rogan youtube post you did…@15:35.
Then listen better...he said his creation was "Bulletproof" coffee which is his recipe.....Bulletproof is his brand of coffee and recipe for HIS version which is HIS coffee and HIS MCT oil. He never said he created butter based tea and or coffee.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not with your listening and reading comprehension.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Poison, do you do any dark roasting, italian, french, x2french? Love me some high quality smokey beans :)

No sir. Doing that would be a disservice to the Beans I buy, and farmers who painstakingly grew them. Dark roasts kill the flavor of the beans, and what you're left with is the flavor of the roaster. If you're going to do that, just buy cheaper green beans to roast, since you're not going to taste the beans anyway. My job, as the roaster, is to highlight the flavors of the origin inherent in the beans. I think you'd be shocked at how good high quality beans, roasted with a gentle hand, taste.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
No sir. Doing that would be a disservice to the Beans I buy, and farmers who painstakingly grew them. Dark roasts kill the flavor of the beans, and what you're left with is the flavor of the roaster. If you're going to do that, just buy cheaper green beans to roast, since you're not going to taste the beans anyway. My job, as the roaster, is to highlight the flavors of the origin inherent in the beans. I think you'd be shocked at how good high quality beans, roasted with a gentle hand, taste.

Finally, a sane coffee person!! I'm a light to medium roast kinda guy...dark is just burnt IMO. Might have to put an order in with you at some point.

LimmetLess

LimmetLess

Awards
Then listen better...he said his creation was "Bulletproof" coffee which is his recipe.....Bulletproof is his brand of coffee and recipe for HIS version which is HIS coffee and HIS MCT oil. He never said he created butter based tea and or coffee.
I bought his 'upgraded' coffee early 2013. Wasn't impressed :/

LimmetLess

LimmetLess

Awards
Do you have samples? :D haha

Could really go for a nice cup of coffee right now with this crazy snow storm!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Finally, a sane coffee person!! I'm a light to medium roast kinda guy...dark is just burnt IMO. Might have to put an order in with you at some point.
If you saw a dark roast in progress, it would be abundantly clear, it's charred. Smoke billowing everywhere. It's all about the maillard reaction: carmelizing sugars, not burning them into oblivion. The flip side is Nordic style roasting is popular now, and few people know howto do it right, so mmuch of the current coffees from third wave micro roasters is simply under roasted. It's sour and astringent, not cool at all. I've had a few people CA mine a dark roast, when according to industry standards it's a light or light side of medium roast. Why do they call it that? Because uber light under roasted roasts are becoming the norm... But people are realizing it's a stupid trend.

I digress. The most important aspect throughout all my coffees, to me, is that the be sweet.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm all about the sweet undertones ever since I realized they exist a year or two ago. Slightly angry that I had been drinking swill for 30 years (I started drinking coffee at age 9 to ward off the cold at the bus stop).

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
You know I placed my order on the 13th and got it today.Also I did get a 2nd additional bag. Pretty sweet! It just seems funny though talking about coffee on a bodybuilding forum.
Coffee is one-half of the best OTC fat burning stack on earth coupled with ephedrine. It would be crazy for us not to talk about it, plus it's delicious. :)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coffee is one-half of the best OTC fat burning stack on earth coupled with ephedrine. It would be crazy for us not to talk about it, plus it's delicious. :)
Even better: Coffee originated in Ethiopia, all of it. Originally coffee was not roasted: the Warriors, when going to war, would grind green beans with dried fruit, and pack it into the original PowerBar, complete with caffeine, to power themselves in battle. So... It was the first preworkout.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Even better: Coffee originated in Ethiopia, all of it. Originally coffee was not roasted: the Warriors, when going to war, would grind green beans with dried fruit, and pack it into the original PowerBar, complete with caffeine, to power themselves in battle. So... It was the first preworkout.
I'll put a nice yirgacheffe up against no-Xplode any day

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know I placed my order on the 13th and got it today.Also I did get a 2nd additional bag. Pretty sweet! It just seems funny though talking about coffee on a bodybuilding forum.
Enjoy!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was just in kona for my other job, but I did manage to drive 45 minutes south to Greenwell coffee farms. I didn't have time to do a tour, but spent a half hour talking shop with the roaster, and dropped $150 on 4lbs of coffee. Really good stuff.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Grass-fed as well - haven't tried adding butter yet though.

I've been adding coconut oil in my coffee & sometimes throwing back some MCT oil before a workout. My experience is that they actually do a pretty good job of slowing caffeine absorbtion. I can handle way less caffeine when taken in the presence of either MCT or coconut oil. MCT preworkout seems to make me sweat a bit harder as well. My diet hasn't been the best one to judge fatloss from lately, so can't really comment there.
Fat slows the absorption of caffeine as slows the further conversion downstream into the active metabolites. you would add fat if you want to avoid the stimulation of coffee.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fat slows the absorption of caffeine as slows the further conversion downstream into the active metabolites. you would add fat if you want to avoid the stimulation of coffee.
So, would this mean that Dave Asprey is talking out of his butt or is the energy and appetite suppression he's supposedly getting from his questionable Bulletproof concoction more or less from the MCT and large quantity of butter rather than any effects from caffeine?

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, would this mean that Dave Asprey is talking out of his butt or is the energy and appetite suppression he's supposedly getting from his questionable Bulletproof concoction more or less from the MCT and large quantity of butter rather than any effects from caffeine?
The best way to drink Coffee for stimulant effect is to CHUG it on empty stomach.

If I was combining Butter and MCT, I would add 20 grams of protein and call it a meal.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The best way to drink Coffee for stimulant effect is to CHUG it on empty stomach.

If I was combining Butter and MCT, I would add 20 grams of protein and call it a meal.
Lulz. I would agree with you, but just inquiring about the whole Dave Asprey Bulletproof thing which all sounds and feels a little loopy to me (it's like sound ideas mixed in with wild assumptions/presumptions and maybe a dash of placebo).

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lulz. I would agree with you, but just inquiring about the whole Dave Asprey Bulletproof thing which all sounds and feels a little loopy to me (it's like sound ideas mixed in with wild assumptions/presumptions and maybe a dash of placebo).
I've never read his stuff but it sounds like what the crossfit crowd likes to hear. Sprouted proteins, secret coffee and peanut butter...

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never read his stuff but it sounds like what the crossfit crowd likes to hear. Sprouted proteins, secret coffee and peanut butter...
Yeah, that secret coffee, makes me roll my eyes each and every time. LoL.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
If I was combining Butter and MCT, I would add 20 grams of protein and call it a snack.
Fixt.

I refuse to get a shaker dirty for less than 50g. :yumyum:

On topic: Sometimes, when I'm at work, I stop and think about poison's beans just sitting in my kitchen, not being coffee yet.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fixt.

On topic: Sometimes, when I'm at work, I stop and think about poison's beans just sitting in my kitchen, not being coffee yet.
we can say a kick start to the morning..

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
poison's coffee is legit
Thanks bro! I posted this question on Facebook today, any input?

I'm almost halfway through the Colombia. Should I order more of the same, or a different lot of equal greatness, with a different profile? There are two other lots.

ID# 5675

Origin Colombia
Region Gaitania, Tolima
Farm La Esmeralda by Victor Molano
Variety Caturra. Colombia, Bourbon
Proc. Method Traditonal Fermentation and Sun Dried
The Cup
" Sweet and tartaric with lemon grass, passion fruit, chocolate and grape flavors."

ID# 5672

Origin Colombia
Region Pitalito, Huila
Farm Los Arboles by Arley Delgado Ortiz
Variety Caturra
Proc. Method 18 Hours Fermentation and 14 Days Parabolic Drying
The Cup
" Intense and rich with lemon, caramel, floral, currant and mango flavors."

ID# 5676 (this is the current lot I have)

Origin Colombia
Region Planadas - Gaitania, Tolima
Farm La Aldea by Arlex Marulanda Calderón
Variety Caturra, Colombia
Proc. Method Traditonal Fermentation and Sun Dried
The Cup
" Perfumed aroma, balanced and tangy with flavors of caramel, panela, apple, praline pecan, thyme and sweet tobacco."

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fixt.

Kinky.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had a buddy that used to eat a jar of peanut butter a day. Every day.