MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The more you draw from that well, the lower your energy levels will be in the recovery phase.

I am an extremely externally-motivated lifter. The greater emotion and intensity I can generate, being hit/slapped/push, loud aggressive music, being shouted at, using ammonia - these things all greatly increase my output potential. But they all cost systemic recovery, so I use the minimum arousal necessary in general training to execute the work I need to accomplish.
I do well with aggressive music, but haven't ever really had anyone hit me with any positive effect. I can actually muster a lot of intensity just going internal and grabbing a deep focus. Any video I have done have always been without music because my phone stops music once recording video. I just take a minute before unracking to get into that frame of mind. It's funny though with ammonia I can get into that zone almost immediately. Doesn't take much deep focus like normal. That being said, I tend to calm my mind, and focus only on the task at hand before a big lift. Even if I have intense music I almost zone it out once I approach the lift.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I did 5 last time too about 4 weeks ago...just not as much load in the sets before.
Really seems like your consistency is paying off fast 🤘

I do well with aggressive music, but haven't ever really had anyone hit me with any positive effect. I can actually muster a lot of intensity just going internal and grabbing a deep focus. Any video I have done have always been without music because my phone stops music once recording video. I just take a minute before unracking to get into that frame of mind. It's funny though with ammonia I can get into that zone almost immediately. Doesn't take much deep focus like normal. That being said, I tend to calm my mind, and focus only on the task at hand before a big lift. Even if I have intense music I almost zone it out once I approach the lift.
I would like to get an inhalent but hadn't pulled the trigger cause skull smasher had like 50 flavors to choose from lol.
Usually if my buddy isn't there I'll smack myself in the head a few times before a big effort. Also when I pulled that deadlift PR a few weeks back he said if you don't pull this those guys will think you're a pussy. so that helped

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Edited the last workout notes because I'm pretty sure I don't know how to make sense sometimes lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Really seems like your consistency is paying off fast 🤘
you might be right here...even my cable pressdown went up. Gonna keep at it for a few more weeks to ensure I'm still on the right track. Might still deload deadlift and squat next week though.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Whole workout done in 35 minutes from first warm up at to last. Leaving the gym feeling fresh sometimes is nice
that was one of the benefits of 531 I remember from using the app. even when I did joker sets and bbb I feel like I was never there longer than an hour. usually more like 45-55 minutes maybe since rests were timed as well, etc. Usually I'd say my average session is more like 90 minutes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I always try to find someone to smack my upper back before my second and third squats and deadlifts. The pain, in addition to stoking adrenaline, helps make the barbell feel lighter on a maximum squat attempt. And the upper back is a place more people feel more comfortable hitting - people don’t have to really hold back. Usually I will look for the biggest guy or pair of hands amongst coaches/handlers in my flight and have them lay into me.

I have definitely had smaller people hurt themselves hitting my back, so I try to find someone built for the job

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I always try to find someone to smack my upper back before my second and third squats and deadlifts. The pain, in addition to stoking adrenaline, helps make the barbell feel lighter on a maximum squat attempt. And the upper back is a place more people feel more comfortable hitting - people don’t have to really hold back. Usually I will look for the biggest guy or pair of hands amongst coaches/handlers in my flight and have them lay into me.

I have definitely had smaller people hurt themselves hitting my back, so I try to find someone built for the job
This might be worth a try again for me at some point. It has never been something I got much out of but it could also be that it wasn't a hard enough smack. The one or two times I have had anyone slap me like that it wasn't overly painful so maybe I just didn't get the prescribed adrenaline release. I have definitely hurt my hand and even bothered my elbow smacking someone before. I hard smack is rough on both parties.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
one of the reasons I'm glad I don't get into fights anymore. No glass jaw here and a punch to the face (or back) just wakes me up and makes me feel good lol. nothing would wake me up and make me feel better about fighting than the other guy taking the first swing and connecting square on my jaw. <-- also a good reason not to box, cause my brain would get rattled before I fell down.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
one of the reasons I'm glad I don't get into fights anymore. No glass jaw here and a punch to the face (or back) just wakes me up and makes me feel good lol. nothing would wake me up and make me feel better about fighting than the other guy taking the first swing and connecting square on my jaw. <-- also a good reason not to box, cause my brain would get rattled before I fell down.
Oh yeah no doubt, I have a Berserker button but I wouldn't get mad at someone hitting me that I told to hit me. Then again I have never really had a group to train with that we felt comfortable enough to slap the crap out of each other. I literally trained for my only meet solo in my garage so no real experience with that. I could see them going back and forth amping each other up and finishing off with a good smack working for sure. Just never really thought of the benefit of the adrenaline from it instead of just them trying to hype each other up. Now it makes even more sense.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 216.8

Squat 5x190, 5x220, 7x245 (amrap)
BB Row 8x135, 3x6x145
Reverse Cable Flies 3x8x5
Incline DB Curl 3 x 10, 10, 8 x 20's

Even from an upper push only workout yesterday, I still have some PEM. Not horrible, but still enough to effect my daily life. For now, I'm going to continue 4 days per week though. I'm definitely stronger with only 4 exercises per workout.

Squat 3x200, 3x230, 6x260 (amrap)
BB Row 15x95, 10x135, 2 x 6 x 155
Reverse Cable Flies 3 x 8, 8, 8 x 7.5
Incline DB Curl 3 x 12, 10, 8 x 20's

Notes: Squat doing OK week to week. I'm trying to be strict on them and really focus on the quads,but when it's heavy and I get a rew reps in, the glutes and hams jump in. BB Row moving up nicely also. Sweating like a pig from this one though.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The BB Rows on squat day might add to the PEM. That's a lot of muscle being used in one session. I would say back is definitely the 2nd most taxing body part next to lower body.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The BB Rows on squat day might add to the PEM. That's a lot of muscle being used in one session. I would say back is definitely the 2nd most taxing body part next to lower body.
Agreed. Any suggestions to the current program?

Day 1: Standing OHP, pull-ups, Lateral Raise, Shrugs
Day 2: close grip bench, deadlift, inverted row, reverse cable fly
Day 3: Bench, incline cable press, Upright Row, pressdowns
Day 4: squat, bb row, reverse cable fly, Curls

My current plan is this starts on Saturday, Day off, Monday, off Tuesday, workout Wednesday and Thursday, off Friday. Eventually, I won't be able to workout on Saturday and this will move to a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday routine. By then, I'll likely make it a push/pull with legs routine.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe swap the upright row on day 3 with the bb row on Day 4, chest and back go well together, and upright rows are hard to use enough weight to be really taxing to the system plus far less muscle involved in the movement.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
and upright rows are hard to use enough weight to be really taxing to the system plus far less muscle involved in the movement.
throw in some 95-115lb sumo deadlift high pulls for sets of 20 and see me in the morning lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe swap the upright row on day 3 with the bb row on Day 4, chest and back go well together, and upright rows are hard to use enough weight to be really taxing to the system plus far less muscle involved in the movement.
Gotcha...that's pretty good. So basically, chest and back together, then legs and delts together for day 3 and 4. Any issue with days 1 and 2 and the overlap?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OMG power cleans are by far my favorite lift I just don't really know how to work them into my routine!!

full / real / squat cleans however suck. lol they're fun, I just can't move as much weight lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
OMG power cleans are by far my favorite lift I just don't really know how to work them into my routine!!

full / real / squat cleans however suck. lol they're fun, I just can't move as much weight lol
I used to love power clean, hang clean, push press, and dumbbell snatches. Best power clean only got to 225 for a few reps, but it was fun. That was before I blew out my acl.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to love power clean, hang clean, push press, and dumbbell snatches. Best power clean only got to 225 for a few reps, but it was fun. That was before I blew out my acl.
generally speaking 225 is usually where I would peak as well. still fun as hell
did you get the surgery on your acl? I tore mine back in 2008 but doc opted against the surgery

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
generally speaking 225 is usually where I would peak as well. still fun as hell
did you get the surgery on your acl? I tore mine back in 2008 but doc opted against the surgery
I did...at the time, I didn't realize that not getting it fixed was an option because it was so hard to walk. You didn't feel super unstable walking around?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I did...at the time, I didn't realize that not getting it fixed was an option because it was so hard to walk. You didn't feel super unstable walking around?
we did the MRI (is that right ? I always get the various scans, xrays, mris confused) and it showed what the doc called a "90%" tear, it was hanging by a thread. he did that test where he'd grab my calf and try to jiggle my lower leg to determine if the acl was holding or snapped.

this was dec, I did it snowboarding. earlier that year in June I broke my clavicle in 3 places when I returned to BMX Racing and this same doc did the surgery.

so with the ACL showing a "90% tear" he was certain it was snapped and showed no support when he jiggled it, but he wanted me to "finish it off" before he opted to cut me open again. I basically started hiking and stuff and self rehabbing it and after like a month it was never an issue again

that said most of my injuries have been on the left side and I wonder if they're somehow all connected.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
we did the MRI (is that right ? I always get the various scans, xrays, mris confused) and it showed what the doc called a "90%" tear, it was hanging by a thread. he did that test where he'd grab my calf and try to jiggle my lower leg to determine if the acl was holding or snapped.

this was dec, I did it snowboarding. earlier that year in June I broke my clavicle in 3 places when I returned to BMX Racing and this same doc did the surgery.

so with the ACL showing a "90% tear" he was certain it was snapped and showed no support when he jiggled it, but he wanted me to "finish it off" before he opted to cut me open again. I basically started hiking and stuff and self rehabbing it and after like a month it was never an issue again

that said most of my injuries have been on the left side and I wonder if they're somehow all connected.
Gotcha. I wish I Could remember all the he did on me, but I just remember him slapping my leg and saying "yup, it's torn completely. If you ever want to compete at a high level, we gotta fix it." He had to wait a month from the injury to operate, and I walked horribly the entire time. Every step was terrifying 😆

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I didn't see anything else glaring at me regarding overlap from the days.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Gotcha. I wish I Could remember all the he did on me, but I just remember him slapping my leg and saying "yup, it's torn completely. If you ever want to compete at a high level, we gotta fix it." He had to wait a month from the injury to operate, and I walked horribly the entire time. Every step was terrifying
I don't envy that surgery at all, my former brother law tore his playing soccer and the recovery was hell!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I didn't see anything else glaring at me regarding overlap from the days.
Right on. I might even be able to add some more chest volume...I'm barely sore from the 7 chest work sets yesterday. Maybe I should do some dips on my ohp day...

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't envy that surgery at all, my former brother law tore his playing soccer and the recovery was hell!
It surely put fuel on my addiction issues, but I was headed that way anyway.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Very mild PEM today! Literally just some fatigue, but that might even be leftover from the lunesta. Yes!
really happy for you man.
the overall tone in your thread has been one of positive momentum the past few weeks I think. your feedback has been positive, even on days that have a struggle, your lifting consistent. really glad to see it 🤘

are you noticing a change in mood and energy as we approach spring/summer?
I can't recall where you are located but here in the PNW March is the turning point and all the sudden when I get home it's not dark anymore. energy level doubles.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
really happy for you man.
the overall tone in your thread has been one of positive momentum the past few weeks I think. your feedback has been positive, even on days that have a struggle, your lifting consistent. really glad to see it 🤘

are you noticing a change in mood and energy as we approach spring/summer?
I can't recall where you are located but here in the PNW March is the turning point and all the sudden when I get home it's not dark anymore. energy level doubles.
Thanks. The sun being out might be influencing my mood and such to a certain extent, but I think the dietary and other changes I've made have helped a lot. Lunesta has been a lifesaver as well.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Standing OHP 4 x 8, 8, 8, 7 x 125
Pullup 4 x 4 x BW
Parallel Depth Push up 8, 8, 12
DB Lateral Raise 15x15's, 2 x 8 , 17.5's, last set dropset to 8x5's
BB Shrugs 12x135, 3 x 6 x 185
Planks

Great workout. Carbed up so a little extra strong but made pull ups harder.

Then something awesome happened...my daughter's lacrosse games got canceled, so I checked on her to see if she was OK (since this was her first games and really looking forward to it). She said "eh, I'm disappointed, but I do want to workout anyway." She's been doing various bodyweight exercises for a couple years and some stuff like overhead carries and tire flips, but today we went over back squats, bench press and Shandon ohp. She NAILED the form on all of it first set.

To make it all even better, while she was warming up, she grabbed my phone and said, "I'm gonna put on some heavy metal." :cool:

Proud dad day.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
A proud day indeed!!!
And to top it off...my latest blood work came back.

Testosterone, total 465 ng/dL (250-1100)
Testosterone, free 117 pg/mL (35-155)
RBC 5.72
HGB 16.9
HCT 49.1
MCV 85.8

Perfect blood work for 8 weeks on 7mg daily. I'll be sticking to this dose for another 8 weeks to see where HCT travels before going up again, but as long as it stays stable, I could see myself landing on 8mg daily permanently.

A great day indeed.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Standing OHP 4 x 8, 8, 8, 7 x 125
Pullup 4 x 4 x BW
Parallel Depth Push up 8, 8, 12
DB Lateral Raise 15x15's, 2 x 8 , 17.5's, last set dropset to 8x5's
BB Shrugs 12x135, 3 x 6 x 185
Planks

Great workout. Carbed up so a little extra strong but made pull ups harder.

Then something awesome happened...my daughter's lacrosse games got canceled, so I checked on her to see if she was OK (since this was her first games and really looking forward to it). She said "eh, I'm disappointed, but I do want to workout anyway." She's been doing various bodyweight exercises for a couple years and some stuff like overhead carries and tire flips, but today we went over back squats, bench press and Shandon ohp. She NAILED the form on all of it first set.

To make it all even better, while she was warming up, she grabbed my phone and said, "I'm gonna put on some heavy metal." :cool:

Proud dad day.
that’s awesome man!! Glad to hear the blood work is good and you are feeling better, doesn’t get much better.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glad to see you are building some momentum and feeling pretty good, getting some good time on the iron with your daughter sounds like the icing on the cake though.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Today's WO:

Close Grip Bench 4 x 8 x 155
Deadlift 5x255, 5x295, 7x335 (amrap)
Inverted Row 7, 7, 7
Reverse Cable Flies 2 x 10, 8 x 5

That amrap DL wrecked me. After each of the next sets of Inverted Row and reverse flies, I felt a bit nauseated, so I just didn't do my last set of reverse flies. Kind of shaky too. Ugh. This is one of those things...should I just man up and finished the sets hard even feeling a little nauseated and shaky, or stopped as soon as I felt that?

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Today's WO:

Close Grip Bench 4 x 8 x 155
Deadlift 5x255, 5x295, 7x335 (amrap)
Inverted Row 7, 7, 7
Reverse Cable Flies 2 x 10, 8 x 5

That amrap DL wrecked me. After each of the next sets of Inverted Row and reverse flies, I felt a bit nauseated, so I just didn't do my last set of reverse flies. Kind of shaky too. Ugh. This is one of those things...should I just man up and finished the sets hard even feeling a little nauseated and shaky, or stopped as soon as I felt that?
Keep pushing hard to finish. Those things won’t further drive systemic fatigue. If you have PEM, it’s going to be from the deadlift AMRAP even if you had stopped and went home after it, so try to get the work in.

That being said, I’ve had deadlift AMRAPs that tanked my blood sugar after. Keep a bottle of glucose tabs in your gym bag, or a Rice Krispies bar, and you will be able to finish strong if you start feeling shaky.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wow to hit that AMRAP hard. Hopefully the PEM is not too bad tomorrow.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also congrats on the awesome day with your daughter and her training!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Wow to hit that AMRAP hard. Hopefully the PEM is not too bad tomorrow.
Thanks. Well see!

Also congrats on the awesome day with your daughter and her training!
Thanks! It was a good day. Then went to my son's lacrosse game...they lost but he did great and had a lot of playing time. Great weekend.

Went over bench, squat, overhead press and bb row with my 11 year old son today. He didn't nail it quite the same, but it was still productive.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. Well see!

Thanks! It was a good day. Then went to my son's lacrosse game...they lost but he did great and had a lot of playing time. Great weekend.

Went over bench, squat, overhead press and bb row with my 11 year old son today. He didn't nail it quite the same, but it was still productive.
You have got to love it when they all want to be involved.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You have got to love it when they all want to be involved.
Absolutely. My son isn't into it quite the same as my daughter...well, he talks about being strong all the time and how much people can lift, but he doesn't want to do the work himself lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
PEM not too bad today! Just some fatigue, but none of the other junk.

The wrist pain/weakness is worse though. Hurt through my workout and still does today. The painful spot is on the pinky side, distal from the bony protrusion on the wrist.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
PEM not too bad today! Just some fatigue, but none of the other junk.

The wrist pain/weakness is worse though. Hurt through my workout and still does today. The painful spot is on the pinky side, distal from the bony protrusion on the wrist.
Congrats on less PEM, sucks on the wrist issue. Are you icing it?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Congrats on less PEM, sucks on the wrist issue. Are you icing it?
No, but good idea. Thanks. Its funny...when taking care of myself, I have no idea what to do, but when it's anyone else, stuff like that is obvious lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No, but good idea. Thanks. Its funny...when taking care of myself, I have no idea what to do, but when it's anyone else, stuff like that is obvious lol
I fall into the same pattern too. Icing is so effective but so easy to forget to do. I need to just keep a few dixie cups frozen in the fridge for ice massage. My trainer in football did that and it was so much more effective than just sitting ice on you. Especially when you wipe it dry often. A 5 minute ice massage is worth 15 minutes of just sitting with it.