Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
'minneapolis police officer shortage reaching crisis level'

dated 8/28/2019.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not trying to mislead the topic but I just find it so strange when black on black violent crime is so high, about a month ago in Chicago 18 were killed in 24 hours. One city/ 24 hours, how is this a topic with a straight face when discussing police brutality. On average 100 million traffic stops, all death rates however you arrange the numbers are closer to zero than 1.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not trying to mislead the topic but I just find it so strange when black on black violent crime is so high, about a month ago in Chicago 18 were killed in 24 hours. One city/ 24 hours, how is this a topic with a straight face when discussing police brutality. On average 100 million traffic stops, all death rates however you arrange the numbers are closer to zero than 1.
I mean, they're different topics. Yes, more people are killed by other civilians in gang violence and random acts of violence, but when someone is unjustly killed by someone who their tax dollars pay, someone that is supposed to protect and serve them, it hits differently, and leads to more outrage. The existence of another problem doesn't undermine another one, or mean it's not also a real problem. We can try to pass and promote police policies that try to reduce as many unjust police acts as possible, and to ensure what when a cop does act in a malicious way, that they are held accountable and responsible, and aren't in a position to do it again. Yes, it's a very small minority of officers who are bad, and you're more likely to be the victim of a random act of violence than a victim of unjust police violence, but they're two separate issues that have different solutions and different approaches for how we can try to reduce said risks.

Think about a different example. I bet that WAY more people are molested by family members than by Catholic priests, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix the issue of catholic priests until we eliminate other perverts and sexual predators. They're different issues, and even if one is more prevalent than the other, they should both be addressed, and often times have entirely different ways of going about solving them.

I hope that makes some sense.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
here is something i found interesting...in 2012 there were a estimated 850,000 gang members....in that same year there were 670,439 cops nationwide.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
sounds like something you should look into?

i bet you could really show them how it should be done!!!!
Lol. So I guess because I think we should both train and pay police more that somehow means I need to go in there and show them? God forbid we all just agree the men and women in blue need more training ffs. If people can’t get off their partisan high horses to enact some common sense reforms then we are doomed as a country.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good points. There is a higher chance of a cop being killed by a black person than the other way around. Remember most of the people killed by cops are of the violent criminal background. Guess I am old school clean up your yard before you start blaming someone else. Plenty of white innocent people getting killed by cops but no one is forcing the agenda. I do love the over the top Trump commercial, good laugh.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol. So I guess because I think we should both train and pay police more that somehow means I need to go in there and show them? God forbid we all just agree the men and women in blue need more training ffs. If people can’t get off their partisan high horses to enact some common sense reforms then we are doomed as a country.
go sign up...show us how it's done!!!

you seem to have the answers instead of talking the talk do some walking.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Firefighters actually make pretty good money now, at least here in So Flo, after decades of being paid poorly. Add in the great insurance and retirement, and I’d say they’re fairly compensated here now. And most people like firefighters, for the most part, nothing is 100%.

A lot of teachers are really paid poorly given that they have a lot of education, and are directly responsible for raising and educating our kids. Our next generation is really only as good as our teachers. Parents of course are essential, but good teachers can make a world of difference. I know I had a few teachers in my life who really made a big difference and helped set me up for success.
Yup. I’m from SoFlo (PBC) and can confirm they get paid decent but the nationwide we can find a bunch of first responders paid low wages. Teachers is especially true. I remember one told me they made under $40k around 2014. And people wonder why we get low rankings in education compared to other countries. Market forces have not helped teachers at all and anyone with a brain knows we don’t live in a market as Adam Smith envisioned so applying some of those archaic principles and washing our hands of the issue has gotten us nowhere. We should mandate a minimum wage for teachers, scaling up at different education levels. If we can cut deals for large corporations that do stock buybacks instead of helping workers then hell we can help the people who help educate our youth!

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
go sign up...show us how it's done!!!

you seem to have the answers instead of talking the talk do some walking.
Sounds like the typical conservative response when they get at stumped tbh. I don’t see you coming up with any better ideas. Not like we’ll solve the country’s problems on this board at all but still.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like the typical conservative response when they get at stumped tbh. I don’t see you coming up with any better ideas. Not like we’ll solve the country’s problems on this board at all but still.
you know what...i walked the walk, after viet nam the military was very unpopular and when i enlisted i lost a lot of friends and my mom's house even got egged because of my joining the military...so i can relate to what the majority of good cops must be going through.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup. I’m from SoFlo (PBC) and can confirm they get paid decent but the nationwide we can find a bunch of first responders paid low wages. Teachers is especially true. I remember one told me they made under $40k around 2014. And people wonder why we get low rankings in education compared to other countries. Market forces have not helped teachers at all and anyone with a brain knows we don’t live in a market as Adam Smith envisioned so applying some of those archaic principles and washing our hands of the issue has gotten us nowhere. We should mandate a minimum wage for teachers, scaling up at different education levels. If we can cut deals for large corporations that do stock buybacks instead of helping workers then hell we can help the people who help educate our youth!
Oh, yeah, teachers get paid pretty poorly, even here in SoFlo/PBC AFAIK. I remember hearing that garbage collectors make more than teachers in a lot of places. No idea if that's true or not, and nothing against garbage collectors (saying "garbage men" makes it sound like I'm saying they're garbage people, as in bad people lol), but teachers need a lot of education, and literally play major roles in shaping the future of the country. I wouldn't necessarily say that teachers should make more money for teaching high school than elementary, for example, as they're sort of just different beasts entirely, but I agree with establishing a better minimum pay for teachers, depending on the state/area they're in, since an NYC teacher needs more money to get by than a rural Alabama teacher, for example, due to much higher cost of living.

Here in PBC, if I'm looking at the right position, it looks like tarting pay is $41k/year, and goes up to ~$84k/year max. New hire base salary doesn't reach $50k until 17 years of experience, and doesn't reach even $45k until ~12 years experience.

You can get anywhere from $3k to 6k more per year for education beyond a Bachelor's degree, and apparently there's some sort of "Performance Salary Schedule" that seems to give extra pay if they're evaluated well somehow? Not super sure on that TBH.

https://www.palmbeachschools.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_270532/File/Careers/Compensation and Job Info/CTA_InstrSalaryInfo_Performance_FY19.pdf

But yeah, I wouldn't complain if teachers pay started at $50k/year here in PBC.

As of now, a new teacher with a Master's Degree would start out making $44k/year, and wouldn't make $50k/year until they have 14 years experience. That's pretty low pay for all that education, experience, and importance of the job.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Oh, yeah, teachers get paid pretty poorly, even here in SoFlo/PBC AFAIK. I remember hearing that garbage collectors make more than teachers in a lot of places. No idea if that's true or not, and nothing against garbage collectors (saying "garbage men" makes it sound like I'm saying they're garbage people, as in bad people lol), but teachers need a lot of education, and literally play major roles in shaping the future of the country. I wouldn't necessarily say that teachers should make more money for teaching high school than elementary, for example, as they're sort of just different beasts entirely, but I agree with establishing a better minimum pay for teachers, depending on the state/area they're in, since an NYC teacher needs more money to get by than a rural Alabama teacher, for example, due to much higher cost of living.

Here in PBC, if I'm looking at the right position, it looks like tarting pay is $41k/year, and goes up to ~$84k/year max. New hire base salary doesn't reach $50k until 17 years of experience, and doesn't reach even $45k until ~12 years experience.

You can get anywhere from $3k to 6k more per year for education beyond a Bachelor's degree, and apparently there's some sort of "Performance Salary Schedule" that seems to give extra pay if they're evaluated well somehow? Not super sure on that TBH.

https://www.palmbeachschools.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_270532/File/Careers/Compensation and Job Info/CTA_InstrSalaryInfo_Performance_FY19.pdf

But yeah, I wouldn't complain if teachers pay started at $50k/year here in PBC.

As of now, a new teacher with a Master's Degree would start out making $44k/year, and wouldn't make $50k/year until they have 14 years experience. That's pretty low pay for all that education, experience, and importance of the job.
Yup. Our garbage man growing up became really close with my grandpa and told us he worked some overtime and pulled in almost $80k or so a year. Not bad for driving the local truck, and this was mid 2000s.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup. Our garbage man growing up became really close with my grandpa and told us he worked some overtime and pulled in almost $80k or so a year. Not bad for driving the local truck, and this was mid 2000s.
Good for him! I bet a lot of people think they’re above that work, but make a lot less than that.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
you know what...i walked the walk, after viet nam the military was very unpopular and when i enlisted i lost a lot of friends and my mom's house even got egged because of my joining the military...so i can relate to what the majority of good cops must be going through.
Sure but what’s that really got to do with training cops more and maybe even paying them a little more in some areas? I don’t follow.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sure but what’s that really got to do with training cops more and maybe even paying them a little more in some areas? I don’t follow.
this sounds a lot more reasonable than training your average cop the same amount of time as a navy seal...finally we agree!!!

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
'minneapolis police officer shortage reaching crisis level'

dated 8/28/2019.
I read that and think, man that is tragic, but then I realize that those citizens got exactly what they voted for. Keep voting for leftists, don’t be surprised when they start acting like leftists.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Perhaps they need to exam why the teachers keep getting younger and younger. Students are teaching students and these people have zero life experiences or field experience. The public school system is nothing but indoctrination systems that are just pumping out students. Students can’t fail, they can’t be disciplined. No child left behind right?

I am fortunate enough to have the means to put my son in a private school. The difference in standards is immense. If public schools modeled themselves after private schools then perhaps the salaries would be worth taking a look at. As it stands now when it comes up for a vote then my vote is no.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Unfortunately Minnesota has also been taken over by some pretty extreme Muslims in alot of areas. With the other stuff currently going on they will get what they want. Less policing.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
at least this kid brings hope to humanity....

and rock n roll
Amazing. I’ve been playing for over 20 years now and that kid makes it seem like I wasted my life not practicing enough.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps they need to exam why the teachers keep getting younger and younger. Students are teaching students and these people have zero life experiences or field experience. The public school system is nothing but indoctrination systems that are just pumping out students. Students can’t fail, they can’t be disciplined. No child left behind right?

I am fortunate enough to have the means to put my son in a private school. The difference in standards is immense. If public schools modeled themselves after private schools then perhaps the salaries would be worth taking a look at. As it stands now when it comes up for a vote then my vote is no.
Conversely, how do you expect to get good, experienced teachers with formal education and field experience if you're going to pay them like s**t? Everyone here is suggesting that paying police more will get better officers, so that same logic should extend to teacher too. Are there inexperienced teachers who may not deserve higher pay? Yes, but there are also inexperienced cops who don't deserve higher pay, but some people always end up "grandfathered in" to these things, and if it applies to cops, why not to teachers too?

And you're really lumping all public schools together. Some are amazing, some are terrible. Just like some police departments are amazing, and some are terrible. If we can't lump all police departments together based on the worst ones, then we can't do that with public schools either. I went to public schools that I'd put right up there with most any private schools, both in terms of teachers, after-school activities, academies, technology, and sports.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, I'd hardly say "students are teaching students." From 2004 to 2012, the age of teachers changed as follows:

Average: 42.5 to 42.4 ( a whole drop of 0.1 year)

Only 15.3% of teachers were under age 30.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/state_2004_19.asp

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/sass1112_2013314_t1s_002.asp

In fact, from two decades before 2002 to 2002, the average age of secondary teachers INCREASED from 36 to 43. 60% of teachers were 40+ in 2000, compared to only 40% in 1980.

https://www.prb.org/thechangingagestructureofusteachers/

So even if you claim it's trending younger again since 2012, I still doubt it's younger than it was in 1980, which is far enough back that people consider it the "good old days," or "before modern school problems/changes."

I know my younger brother graduated school not that many years ago, and he had plenty of teachers in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. More than in their 20s and 30s for sure.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, I'd hardly say "students are teaching students." From 2004 to 2012, the age of teachers changed as follows:

Average: 42.5 to 42.4 ( a whole drop of 0.1 year)

Only 15.3% of teachers were under age 30.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/state_2004_19.asp

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/sass1112_2013314_t1s_002.asp

In fact, from two decades before 2002 to 2002, the average age of secondary teachers INCREASED from 36 to 43. 60% of teachers were 40+ in 2000, compared to only 40% in 1980.

https://www.prb.org/thechangingagestructureofusteachers/

So even if you claim it's trending younger again since 2012, I still doubt it's younger than it was in 1980, which is far enough back that people consider it the "good old days," or "before modern school problems/changes."

I know my younger brother graduated school not that many years ago, and he had plenty of teachers in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. More than in their 20s and 30s for sure.
When I pulled my son out of public 2 years ago his teachers were 20s and 30s. 2 of them were fresh out of college. In my day the best you could hope for was a MILF. Otherwise they were old AF.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Conversely, how do you expect to get good, experienced teachers with formal education and field experience if you're going to pay them like s**t? Everyone here is suggesting that paying police more will get better officers, so that same logic should extend to teacher too. Are there inexperienced teachers who may not deserve higher pay? Yes, but there are also inexperienced cops who don't deserve higher pay, but some people always end up "grandfathered in" to these things, and if it applies to cops, why not to teachers too?

And you're really lumping all public schools together. Some are amazing, some are terrible. Just like some police departments are amazing, and some are terrible. If we can't lump all police departments together based on the worst ones, then we can't do that with public schools either. I went to public schools that I'd put right up there with most any private schools, both in terms of teachers, after-school activities, academies, technology, and sports.
I would agree with paying them more if there was legislation in place barring teachers from making political or social justice statements in the classroom. Teach the kids what’s in the book and leave their bull crap opinions at home. Hell now that I say that...I wish the news was like that as well lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
When I pulled my son out of public 2 years ago his teachers were 20s and 30s. 2 of them were fresh out of college. In my day the best you could hope for was a MILF. Otherwise they were old AF.
miss dyess, my 7th-8th grade history teacher back in 70-71....i had the biggest crush on her, all the other teachers were old but she looked like a hippie chick right out of woodstock. hell, it wouldn't surprise me if she had gone to woodstock!!!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m glad your n=2 anecdote is all that counts. I literally just showed you that the average teacher age is higher than it was in 1980, with substantially more “older” teachers.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
miss dyess, my 7th-8th grade history teacher back in 70-71....i had the biggest crush on her, all the other teachers were old but she looked like a hippie chick right out of woodstock. hell, it wouldn't surprise me if she had gone to woodstock!!!
Not a "hot teacher" story, but one of my favorite high school teachers was a legit hippie, and he HATED the school administration. The board wanted teachers to stop the lecture every few minutes and ask students to hold up 1-5 fingers to represent how well they understand the topic, and he said that we're welcome to hold up one finger, and stuck up his middle finger. Another time, a student told him that the hall monitor (another teacher) yelled at her for not having a current hall pass (it was an old one), so he took us all on a "class trip" to sit outside the restroom where the monitor was.

As for "hot teachers," in 8th grade we had sex ed. with a hot young blonde teacher. We had a Question Box where people could anonymously ask questions (even the teacher clearly knew whose handwriting was whose, I guess the idea was to cut down on embarrassment from other students when you submitted a question), and we had 2-3 class clowns who would ask the funniest questions (or at least we thought they were funny at the time).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m glad your n=2 anecdote is all that counts. I literally just showed you that the average teacher age is higher than it was in 1980, with substantially more “older” teachers.
if miss dyess is still teaching she would be pretty old today, lol.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And most people like firefighters, for the most part, nothing is 100%.
For the most part is fair to say. As we saw with the recent vandalism that took place at a memorial in honor of firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11, it apparently isn’t 100%. At least one thing has been consistent in that nobody/nothing is exempt from their path of hateful destruction. Ironically, not even themselves.

Good points. There is a higher chance of a cop being killed by a black person than the other way around. Remember most of the people killed by cops are of the violent criminal background. Guess I am old school clean up your yard before you start blaming someone else. Plenty of white innocent people getting killed by cops but no one is forcing the agenda. I do love the over the top Trump commercial, good laugh.
The real statistics are what is swept under the rug by BLM protestors, as it completely dismantles their narrative. Making a scapegoat out of the police force which protects the lives of black Americans from themselves the most is disgraceful. Funding adjustments won’t even matter when if we can’t rebuild the moral of the profession enough to keep and fill the needed positions- which is now going to be at an all time high.

It goes without saying that no lives we be spared or saved as a result of the BLM protests. Only more violent crime will ensue as we have already seen.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For the most part is fair to say. As we saw with the recent vandalism that took place at a memorial in honor of firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11, it apparently isn’t 100%. At least one thing has been consistent in that nobody/nothing is exempt from their path of hateful destruction. Ironically, not even themselves.

The real statistics are what is swept under the rug by BLM protestors, as it completely dismantles their narrative. Making a scapegoat out of the police force which protects the lives of black Americans from themselves the most is disgraceful. Funding adjustments won’t even matter when if we can’t rebuild the moral of the profession enough to keep and fill the needed positions- which is now going to be at an all time high.

It goes without saying that no lives we be spared as a result of the BLM protests. Only more violent crime will ensue as we have already seen.
Wow, I don't even get how you can be against firefighters who died in 9/11. That's beyond f**ked up.

I mean, we can all agree that we can have a few logical police policy changes that won't hurt good cops, and will only make it harder for bad cops. Not talking about budget cuts, but things like mandatory body cams (which often prove that good cops did nothing wrong when they're accused of doing something wrong), improved de-escalation training, reducing the number of no-knock raids on the wrong homes, and of course making it illegal to have sex with people in custody are all things we can get behind. NONE of those things have ANYTHING to do with black on black violence, at all.

But yeah, I have a hard time buying into the belief that some of these people want equality when they're praising Hitler and Farrakhan. LITERALLY PRAISING HITLER, saying that he and Farrakhan (a known extremest anti-Semite) were/are right about the Jews. There's been more support for this than backlash among people fighting for "social justice" and "equality" from what I've seen, even though Jews played a pretty major role in helping fight for American civil rights, and have a multi-thousand year history of being targeted and oppressed.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s not all that counts. But for the people that don’t find either value, truth, or have an extreme love of statistics as you apparently do, sometimes we just have to trust our eyes. My eyes is based on 6 different schools that my son went to as a result of multiple moves. Nothing changed in those years.

I can appreciate you are a numbers guy. I can appreciate you are in love with researching and finding stats. It’s pretty impressive. But it doesn’t discount actual experiences.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mrs Mathews and Mrs Shiver my senior year. Holy crap those two were MILFS. I must have asked them out every single day lol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Wow, I don't even get how you can be against firefighters who died in 9/11. That's beyond f**ked up.

I mean, we can all agree that we can have a few logical police policy changes that won't hurt good cops, and will only make it harder for bad cops. Not talking about budget cuts, but things like mandatory body cams (which often prove that good cops did nothing wrong when they're accused of doing something wrong), improved de-escalation training, reducing the number of no-knock raids on the wrong homes, and of course making it illegal to have sex with people in custody are all things we can get behind. NONE of those things have ANYTHING to do with black on black violence, at all.

But yeah, I have a hard time buying into the belief that some of these people want equality when they're praising Hitler and Farrakhan. LITERALLY PRAISING HITLER, saying that he and Farrakhan (a known extremest anti-Semite) were/are right about the Jews. There's been more support for this than backlash among people fighting for "social justice" and "equality" from what I've seen, even though Jews played a pretty major role in helping fight for American civil rights, and have a multi-thousand year history of being targeted and oppressed.
Nothing to add here except every time you bring up sex in police custody, I think of Super Troopers 😂😂😂
“Who wants a mustache ride?!”

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nothing to add here except every time you bring up sex in police custody, I think of Super Troopers
“Who wants a mustache ride?!”
Every time I keep thinking about the notion of police having sex with someone in custody I keep thinking of the ugly trailer trash that police mess with on a day to day basis. Barf. Anyone ever see a mugshot of a hot chick?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s not all that counts. But for the people that don’t find either value, truth, or have an extreme love of statistics as you apparently do, sometimes we just have to trust our eyes. My eyes is based on 6 different schools that my son went to as a result of multiple moves. Nothing changed in those years.

I can appreciate you are a numbers guy. I can appreciate you are in love with researching and finding stats. It’s pretty impressive. But it doesn’t discount actual experiences.
Yes, it does. My younger brother graduated HS in 2015, so pretty recently, and most of his teachers were over 40, with very few were under 30. That’s from elementary, middle, and high school. So now our n=1 anecdotes counter each other out, so what is left but to look at statistics?

I’m sorry, but you’re being very narrow-minded. “I believe only what I see.” Don’t you know there’s so much a single person can’t see, and that super small sample sizes, such as your one son’s experience, can be easily misleading and not at all representative of the whole?

I’m not saying your experience isn’t true, but it’s not representative of the whole. If you decided you wanted your kid to have older teachers, then you did what you did, good for you, I’m glad you care about your son’s education, but for every example of your kid having mostly young teachers, there’s another example of someone having mostly old teachers. The average age of teachers, and the percent of older teachers, have both increased since 1980. You’re really going to argue that the statistics are wrong because of what you saw from 6 schools?

There are over 91,000 public schools K-12 in the US. Your 6 account for under 0.007% of that number, or 1 in over 15,000. How you can claim to draw any meaningful conclusions from such a terribly small sample size is beyond me.

Honest question, have you ever taken a statistics course? Because your dismissal of statistics in favor of an anecdote to determine an overall trend seems to indicate you don’t really know how statistics work

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every time I keep thinking about the notion of police having sex with someone in custody I keep thinking of the ugly trailer trash that police mess with on a day to day basis. Barf. Anyone ever see a mugshot of a hot chick?
I googled it. Apparently there’s a Twitter page with over 250k followers that posts pictures of attractive women’s mugshots. It’s called “Mugshawtys.” So they do exist.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Yes, that’s perfectly reasonable :)

I would personally like to see less policing on roadways- or at least more discretion used which would mean less resources utilized there. I don’t know how many times I have been pulled over for going less than 10 mph over the speed limit, when other people are routinely up my ass and passing me going 20+ over the speed limit.

I never get a ticket though or even a warning, as it always happens when I am heading to or home from work. This means I have my hospital ID on me and they just advise me to slow down and send me on my way. There seems to be a mutual respect between hospital workers and police officers. Healthcare worker privilege! ;)

Ironically, the last time this happened to me was this past memorial day when Mr Floyd was killed.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, it does. My younger brother graduated HS in 2015, so pretty recently, and most of his teachers were over 40, with very few were under 30. That’s from elementary, middle, and high school. So now our n=1 anecdotes counter each other out, so what is left but to look at statistics?

I’m sorry, but you’re being very narrow-minded. “I believe only what I see.” Don’t you know there’s so much a single person can’t see, and that super small sample sizes, such as your one son’s experience, can be easily misleading and not at all representative of the whole?

I’m not saying your experience isn’t true, but it’s not representative of the whole. If you decided you wanted your kid to have older teachers, then you did what you did, good for you, I’m glad you care about your son’s education, but for every example of your kid having mostly young teachers, there’s another example of someone having mostly old teachers. The average age of teachers, and the percent of older teachers, have both increased since 1980. You’re really going to argue that the statistics are wrong because of what you saw from 6 schools?

There are over 91,000 public schools K-12 in the US. Your 6 account for under 0.007% of that number, or 1 in over 15,000. How you can claim to draw any meaningful conclusions from such a terribly small sample size is beyond me.

Honest question, have you ever taken a statistics course? Because your dismissal of statistics in favor of an anecdote to determine an overall trend seems to indicate you don’t really know how statistics work
I can appreciate your love of statistics. To answer your question not just no, but hell no did I take a statistics course. I am in no way, shape, or form fascinated by numbers and percentages. As a matter of fact I find paint drying on the wall more interesting. When you post your numbers and percentages the paragraph becomes a blur and I skim the rest.

As I said before. I am a skeptic. I have little trust in people. Even less trust in stuff I read online. Just a dumb busted up grunt. Not a numbers guy in any way. But if you need something secured, moved, defended, or attacked then I have the answer. It will always be difficult to see something with my own eyes and then trust an online source telling me otherwise. Sorry.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I can appreciate your love of statistics. To answer your question not just no, but hell no did I take a statistics course. I am in no way, shape, or form fascinated by numbers and percentages. As a matter of fact I find paint drying on the wall more interesting. When you post your numbers and percentages the paragraph becomes a blur and I skim the rest.

As I said before. I am a skeptic. I have little trust in people. Even less trust in stuff I read online. Just a dumb busted up grunt. Not a numbers guy in any way. But if you need something secured, moved, defended, or attacked then I have the answer. It will always be difficult to see something with my own eyes and then trust an online source telling me otherwise. Sorry.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I googled it. Apparently there’s a Twitter page with over 250k followers that posts pictures of attractive women’s mugshots. It’s called “Mugshawtys.” So they do exist.
I got to share this with my brother and my dad. Apparently they are patrolling the wrong neighborhoods lol.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got to share this with my brother and my dad. Apparently they are patrolling the wrong neighborhoods lol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

You were infantry?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol. I legit laughed at the name of that page though. And I read they take down pictures if the person asks, so that's good too.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I understand that, and at least you admit it. It can be hard to trust numbers over what we actually see. And I'm not discounting your experiences either, or at least I'm not meaning to. If you felt that your kid didn't have enough experienced teachers in public school, then you made the right call moving him to private school. I'm not going to argue against that, as it's your experience. A general trend nation-wide doesn't mean that any number of people can't have wildly different experiences that seem to defy the general trend. With a large enough sample size, there are bound to be outliers, some people who have an abnormally high amount of young teachers, and some who have an abnormally low amount of young teachers. They'd butt heads all day arguing about how they had such different experiences, but they average out to be more "normal" and closer to what the average person can expect to see. They're both right about what they experienced and observed, but they're both wrong about the general trend or what the average person can expect. I hope that helps a little. Sometimes I guess I take for granted that people may have more knowledge of statistics than they do, which is my bad, and I end up not explaining things that I treat as given, which may help to explain what I'm trying to say, and that it's not meant to discount lived experiences, but to put them in their proper context.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
location location location... :)

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don’t know if anyone caught the latest details of how things went down when George Floyd was killed. Trial(s) could be interesting as Floyd stated he couldn’t breathe before officer Chauvin placed his knee over Floyd’s neck. Fentanyl and COVID-19 recovery will be factors for the defense to exploit. Things are going to get messy, but we can now see that there were no racial undertones in the incident itself.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don’t know if anyone caught the latest details of how things went down when George Floyd was killed. Trial(s) could be interesting as Floyd stated he couldn’t breathe before officer Chauvin placed his knee over Floyd’s neck. Fentanyl and COVID-19 recovery will be factors for the defense to exploit. Things are going to get messy, but we can now see that there were no racial undertones in the incident itself.

Stevie Wonder could see it wasn’t about race. It was wrong, but it wasn’t racist. I hold firm that there isn’t people hating people because the color of their skin. Not enough to matter. Do we have prejudice tendencies? Sure. But I believe there is a difference. When you pull up to a place and their are 5 guys with pants around the knees, underwear hanging out, hair braided, and gold teeth, do you avoid them because their skin is dark or because they look like hoodlums? If you pull up to a place and see trailer trash with dirty clothes, tattoos on the face, and meth mouth do you avoid him because he is white or because he looks like a crackhead?

Anyone that claims there is oppression, systematic racism, inequality, or whatever has never been outside of the USA. Our system is setup for success if people will put in the work, do their part, focus on their family and community, and to stop looking for a government fix, handout, handup, or wanting other people to fix their problems.

Fire away.