Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So I have so many questions about gyms that plan on implementing a workout reservation.

1.) How long of a time slot do you get?
2.) How do you even monitor when a reserved time is up and a member must leave?
3.) As a member, do you still need to pay your full monthly due? I like to go at 5pm, also the busiest time of the day. What if I can't get in because it's booked? Why should I have to pay for something I can't use?

I just don't like where this is going. If gyms are going to implement reservations, I am afraid they aren't going to survive. I also think I will be more inclined to spend money on a home gym and just forget ever going to the gym and cancel my memberships - not because of fear of the virus, but because of new rules.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@BigGame84
My gyms are still figuring that part out for when phase 2 opens and then the inside of the gym opens. I don’t think we’ll have reservation hours, but more like “first come, first serve” and need to wait your turn until space opens. For example, we signs all over listing “1 person only” or “9 people in this area only” and signs on the floor spacing people 6-10 feet apart.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I will probably try and go tomorrow, have not heard anything like that except they are open with safety in place. But this is Florida, we seem to be approaching things a little differently than some other places.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@BigGame84
My gyms are still figuring that part out for when phase 2 opens and then the inside of the gym opens. I don’t think we’ll have reservation hours, but more like “first come, first serve” and need to wait your turn until space opens. For example, we signs all over listing “1 person only” or “9 people in this area only” and signs on the floor spacing people 6-10 feet apart.
First come, first serve? So I could drive to the gym only to be told I can’t come in or I need to wait in a line?!? If that’s true, come on! I have no interest doing that and paying for that.

“1 person only” or “9 people in this area only”. That’s just not enjoyable. If I am working out, I can’t be worried about that. Gyms are going to die with these kind of rules.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
First come, first serve? So I could drive to the gym only to be told I can’t come in or I need to wait in a line?!? If that’s true, come on! I have no interest doing that and paying for that.

“1 person only” or “9 people in this area only”. That’s just not enjoyable. If I am working out, I can’t be worried about that. Gyms are going to die with these kind of rules.
Yeah, they’re trying to follow government guidelines as well. 🤷‍♂️

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Maybe now the gyms will do something about that one guy who hogs a single machine/bench for 45 minutes to do three sets?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe now the gyms will do something about that one guy who hogs a single machine/bench for 45 minutes to do three sets?
Yeah, I wish. Just not going to happen by the gym. People will do what they want. Instead, you're going to get people calling each other out because they only have so much time. There's just going to be so many issues with implementing time slots. Going to be more trouble than it's worth.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Curls in the squat rack... :p DIBS!

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
LA Fitness opened in Florida today. Delray beach location had no one wearing masks...no one was wiping down equipment...no one was social distancing..staff was not enforcing rules or giving a ****

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
LA Fitness opened in Florida today. Delray beach location had no one wearing masks...no one was wiping down equipment...no one was social distancing..staff was not enforcing rules or giving a ****
I hated that gym so much the few times I went. I’m sure Boynton was exactly the same though

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been to multiple So Flo LAs, and half of them have all the “trainers” and staff just sitting at their desks chatting all day, and “reserving” equipment for their sessions 30+ minutes before they actually use them. 24 Hour is much better; they go and rack weights that idiots leave out every hour or so, and it’s generally much cleaner.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For those who think Florida is doing a half-decent job of Covid-19. We are not. Probably one of the worst for under-reporting deaths and manipulating the data.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've come to the conclusion that if gyms have to restrict people into making "workout reservations" well then maybe they shouldn't be open at all.
A lot of my team mates are addicted to 'crossfit', and that's all they talk about... They have always had to make reservations. I laugh at them to myself because, really? They b*tch and complain when classes are full.

I could never go to a gym that requires reservations. That's bull-sh*t.
Open or stay closed.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A lot of my team mates are addicted to 'crossfit', and that's all they talk about... They have always had to make reservations. I laugh at them to myself because, really? They b*tch and complain when classes are full.

I could never go to a gym that requires reservations. That's bull-sh*t.
Open or stay closed.
Yep. I totally agree. My local gym sounds like they may eventually be taking reservations so I’ll have a decision to make when the time comes. They even went so far to say they are making an app for reservations.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Started off my day with another COVID intubation. What’s worse is that the anesthesiologist wouldn’t listen to me about our special considerations we must follow in this process for COVID pt’s. He also argued with me about how to use the oxygen delivery devices during the process and what they were capable of delivering.

Depite his ego and lack of being willing to learn, the pt was not compromised. He literally threw a temper tantrum and told me I have no idea what I am doing and that I shouldn’t even be there. Little does he know, he did everything against protocol and I do have a witness. He will be getting a lesson from my manager tomorrow. Nonetheless, it was a terrible way to start my day which of course was already stressful.

If these were more ideal times to get a new job/switch careers, I would definitely be trying to get out. It’s terrible for my mental and physical health, and it doesn’t pay nearly enough to justify compromising either one.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wonder what happens in the gym of an apeentire building. No one is there to count heads or make reservations. Maybe just honor system for max capacity?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My gym was recently on the local news. Not only are they making an app for reservations, but they have already put plastic sheets up between cardio equipment. Mind you, they may not even be allowed to open for another few months.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Saw this article yesterday and finalky looked through the background report. CDC gives 5 scenarios for how infectious/deadly the covid may be, and their overall best guess is a fatality rate of 0.4 which is sitting a little better than previously thought.

liddodragon

Awards
I'm in Clearwater. Our LA fitness is in top of their sh*t. Everything is spread out. Cleaning crews cleaning equipment constantly. Staff including trainers go and spray down and wipe machines when they aren't with clients or customers. Members seem to be wiping after use pretty well.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Saw this article yesterday and finalky looked through the background report. CDC gives 5 scenarios for how infectious/deadly the covid may be, and their overall best guess is a fatality rate of 0.4 which is sitting a little better than previously thought.

This is interesting. I hope this is right. I wonder what pieces of info they have that we don't though. Something doesn't add up.

Serology testing suggests somewhere around 1/5 - 1/7 cases end up being confirmed. Now, I know that not everyone with symptoms may be confirmed, but there are also people without symptoms being confirmed - as pointed out in this thread with people getting wellness checks at work, etc.

With a denominator 600% higher than we have for confirmed cases, the death rate appears to be 0.8%.

The CDC is claiming the denominator is only 50% higher though and the overall death rate is lower? Not sure which one of us needs to go back to 3rd grade fractions...me or the cdc.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
God damn it... you fekers have managed to drag my ass back in..

HIT brother/./. its like I told you two months ago … simple math. no need to convolute it with BS>. 7+ billion total people and 300k deaths/./. the math equals about .04 % which is what I said all along. this is total BS in comparison to the regular flu and NEVER warranted the shut down. that doesn't change your outlook and I understand it. but the math when done non common core tells the real story. further to make you all mad.. the CDC and the WHO now agree that Sweden was right all along.. weird.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
God damn it... you fekers have managed to drag my ass back in..

HIT brother/./. its like I told you two months ago … simple math. no need to convolute it with BS>. 7+ billion total people and 300k deaths/./. the math equals about .04 % which is what I said all along. this is total BS in comparison to the regular flu and NEVER warranted the shut down. that doesn't change your outlook and I understand it. but the math when done non common core tells the real story. further to make you all mad.. the CDC and the WHO now agree that Sweden was right all along.. weird.
Ummm...your definition of simple math is interesting.

First off, the idea of counting the entire population as the denominator to figure out a death rate is "unique".

Second, since the math is so simple, you may want to make sure you get it right when you present it. It is more like .004%

Just like your math, your opinion on this is flat out wrong. Sorry brother.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ummm...your definition of simple math is interesting.

First off, the idea of counting the entire population as the denominator to figure out a death rate is "unique".

Second, since the math is so simple, you may want to make sure you get it right when you present it. It is more like .004%

Just like your math, your opinion on this is flat out wrong. Sorry brother.
opps I missed a 0.. cmon man im just pointing out the glaring discrepencies ,,,, you at this point can not deny. and I wasn't digging at you or your math but you did lay out a giant algebra equation in one of our previous chats.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
CDC estimates 24-64k people die a year from the flu (state side)

As of today we have over 98k deaths from COVID-19.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The problem is that we didnt know what the virus was capable of. Please go read what happens to you if you get Ebola Zaire, Hantavirus, Marburg, or Nipah virus and then you’ll see why it may be a good idea to shut the world down until you figure out wtf kind of animal youre dealing with once a virus reaches pandemic levels.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
opps I missed a 0.. cmon man im just pointing out the glaring discrepencies ,,,, you at this point can not deny. and I wasn't digging at you or your math but you did lay out a giant algebra equation in one of our previous chats.
Lol, sorry man. You are getting in deep here. You are dealing with a death rate and comparing to the flu - misplacing a zero is a BIG issue.

You are also wrong about Sweden, which is second guessing its own decision.

And a couple months ago you were saying it would be no worse than a bad flu, in less than 3 months we are at 100,000 deaths, which makes it worse than any bad flu we have ever recorded. And that is with people taking precautions and isolating and complaining about all they are doing. Apparently, you CAN deny this - but it still doesn't make it true.

The issue is, people can't use the 4 basic math functions on their own and when I skip steps they complain that it is hard to follow. Then when I do it all out like a 3rd grader...now its a big algebra problem?

And the point I was pointing out about the CDC is their math is strange - because they are admitting that fewer people have been infected than we are estimating on this board based on serology rates, yet they somehow are coming up with a much smaller death rate.

So if they are saying 35% of people are asymptomatic- we have a couple directions to go with. The reality is that some asymptomatic people are getting tested and some symptomatic people probably are NOT getting tested.

But the 35% asymptomatic figure in a not 100% factual way indicates that there is only 50% more of the population that is infected that we are not confirming. If this is the case, then about 2.3M people are infected.

And if that is the case, 100,000 / 2,300,000 = 4.3%, not 0.4%.

Perhaps you work for the CDC and did their math for them? They may have only misplaced a decimal.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As has been said many times, let’s not forget that one of the driving forces behind shutting down was the inability of our healthcare system to care for everyone getting sick and/or going on ventilator support at once. It would have been impossible, and created a much more disastrous/chaotic situation than anything we have endured so far.

I am fed up with every aspect of this like anyone else, but that doesn’t change the fact that 4 out of our 5 people on ventilators at work have COVID pneumonia. It also doesn’t change the fact that even with the cases being more spread out (so far), it’s still a burden on healthcare workers and facilities at this rate.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
so you all apparently missed the WHO now says Sweden was right? and the CDC admits the 100 k death total is skewed according to dr Brix? how do youall feel about those developments since we will never agree on math?

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
My impression from the latest CDC report above was that there are areas with higher case fatality rate (like NYC and even worse, Italy) and places with lower rates like california and miami. The total deaths nationally number yields different rates based on location/density as it pertains to real world results. And as a whole they figure its probably an 'overall' average of 0.4 across the US.

A big part of this, as Ricky10 states, is the ability for healthcare facilities to keep up. Because in Italy when they got overwhelmed, the fatality rate rose dramatically. And with NY highest for the states as they nearly were overrun. But when well managed this virus can be much less fatal on the population. Still 10-20x worse than the common flu (if compared using the same method of testing every single person in a given area)

Given all we knew back then (thinking this thing could be 100x more lethal than the flu) we probably did the right thing with a national quarantine to slow the beast until hospitals and ventilator manufacturing could catch up. Bu twe are there, curve flattened and beds available. The economic consequences are also disasterous, and now at say 10x the flu lethality (and many states hardly affected at all) it makes no sense any longer for such a strict quarantine treated every local as downtown NYC. It seems that with lessons learned like masks, hand washing, and social distancing the beast can be tamed enough to matter.... as long as the population is willing to cooperate. We shall see how human behavior presents itself....

But if outbreaks overwhelm hospitals we are going to be looking to at least localized quarantines again, I suspect. Because its still a loooong road forward with just a few percent infected so far and a vaccine idea somewhere down the road. This thing doesn't stop until it runs out of people - even though it may slow during the summmer - and will keep restarting as long as their are unprotected potential victims on the planet.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How do you not agree on math? Math is math. 2 + 2 is always 4. 98,000/1,600,000 is always 6.1%. You can ignore it, but you can't really disagree.

And my math has taken into account the arguments of the naysayers - that serology tests show a mich higher infection rate...so the denominator is likely larger. The serology data that has been provided shows 1/7 cases or more are confirmed. So worst case scenario is 7 x 1.6M = 11,200,000 infections in the US. So, 98,000 / 11,200,000 = 0.875% death rate.

The CDC is now implying the denominator is much smaller (in the realm of 2,400,000 instead of 11M) but somehow so is the death rate. Something is missing.

Sweden. There are news articles saying all kinds of things.

Sweden has 35,000 confirmed cases and 4,200 confirmed deaths that's a 12% death rate among cinfirmed cases. Double the US. But sure, they went the right way over the US. Lets ignore this.

They have just 35,000 cases so far. The serology studies in Sweden have shown that only 7% of the population of stockholm has been infected. They expected they would achieve 50% by now. So it didn't work there. Lets ignore that

The population of Stockholm is approx. 975,000. Approx. 11,000 confirmed cases of Covid in Stockholm, or just over 1%. 7% of the total population suggests that 68,250 cases have occurred. The 7% serology study suggests the 1 in 6 to 1 in 7 number is similar across environments. I can't find the confirmed deaths in stockholm, but if you apply the country's death rate (which should be lower overall than stockholm) of 12% to the 11,000 confirmed cases you get 1,320. 1320 / 68,250 = 1.9% death rate. Basic math. Lets ignore this too, fine.

Having said all of that, I kind of see what Sweden is trying to do and what they are hoping and they honestly have been mischaracterized. They aren't legislating. They are trying to get people to take care of themselves. Stay home, stay away - they are actually doing a lot of what everyone else is doing. They just don't have as many people who can't do math arguing that this is like the flu and everyone should just ignore it.

BTW - if my math is wrong, you have choices. Ignore it and believe whatever you want to believe right or wrong. Or show me it is wrong and how. I have made plenty of mathematical errors in my life.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Regarding Sweden, many people use them as an example of how not shutting down will keep the economy from crashing. But Sweden''s economy is also crashing into deep recession the same as us. People are still people and with an invisible virus killing people they tend to shop less... thus bringing the economy to the same place. Global economy and all.

I do like how Sweden is giving its people more personal choice in the way they live through the corona. And the idea that herd immunity might be the fastest way through this mess. But their other high tax open border socialist stuff I could do without...

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
and what about dr brix admitting the death numbers are fabricated.. just like Italy has revised its death numbers to reflect real covid deaths. instead of every death being a covid death. saying we have 100k deaths is not accurate to the CDC heads.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
and what about dr brix admitting the death numbers are fabricated.. just like Italy has revised its death numbers to reflect real covid deaths. instead of every death being a covid death. saying we have 100k deaths is not accurate to the CDC heads.

Italy aside.... where did the CDC say that the 100k US covid deaths is not accurate. Would like to see that. Lots of junk/unsupported claims floating around the internet. Do you have a link showing the CDC heads have a different count??

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Italy aside.... where did the CDC say that the 100k US covid deaths is not accurate. Would like to see that. Lots of junk/unsupported claims floating around the internet. Do you have a link showing the CDC heads have a different count??
I will find you a video of it if it hasn't been wiped off the internet... stand by.. I saw it myself live.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hit brother Im not saying your math is wrong Im saying you are adding in all this quazi info that's convoluting things imo, and have never once told you you were wrong but that I (ME MYSELF) disagree with you.

that said.. now this what about this??
Ok, where is the "quasi info" that you do not want me to include?

Beyond the serology data, which is the big argument that most if the "its a bad flu" people are using, we have simple math.

100,000 dearhs / 1,600,000 confirmed infections.

6% death rate.

Most people want to blow this up as being too simplistic, which I can agree with and throwing out that there are more infections than 1.6M and there are all types asymptomatic cases, etc.

So, I am playing along and including the best data we have in those factors - which makes it, extremely slightly, more complicated.

So I am not including anything that doesn't work in your favor here and now you are saying it shouldn't be included? When will you begin to see that the ONLY way your theories work is if we ignore reality and believe in completely made up numbers that refute all of the evidence that we have actually collected?

You can disagree, I welcome disagreement - this would be a boring discussion without it, but I would implore you to apply some reasoning, use some basic math, and arrive at your opinion based on evidence.

And that headline is playing on people. You can believe we should have a complete, 100% nuclear lockdown beyond what we have even had and still make the statement that being in lockdown for too long will cause irreparable damage. That is the entire problem with this situation - where do you draw the line and where is the balance. But you cannot answer those tough questions if you ignore the risk associated with one of the actions.

In other words, yes lockdown is a problem. Yes spreading this disease is a problem. Which is worse and how do we tell?

Early on we had NO way to tell so the choice had to be based on caution. We have gained more and more info now and a lot of people are going to die from this.. A lot already have. The risks are real.

Further, you are picking news articles as evidence. You say Sweden has it right,, but their death rate is much higher than other countries and their infection rates are still pretty low.. Other countries thought they could avoid lockdowns when they had low infection rates too...and they all changed course once things got bad.. It has been tried and failed.

Does that mean it may not work with some adjustment? No...it still may have some merit, but until we know what that adjustment is, it isn't a viable strategy.

Plus, in the US we have a bunch of dumb people. They forget about this entirely once the Gov't tells them to open up again. Like the gov't said it's OK so it can't hurt me now. That is the rules!

And we are out in large groups, at restaurants and parties, with no masks. In 3-4 weeks it is gonna hit us hard again.

Just like in March if you said 50,000 deaths in 2 months it seemed like a lot and no one believed it.. And it happened and everyone has already forgotten that the warnings were there...now we are doing it all over again..

And if you don't believe the next 3 months will cause another 100,000 deaths in the US minimum - tell me, what has changed? What will be different about the next 3 months? Better treatment? A vaccine? We haven't gotten to anything that will make a difference yet.

If we had, I would be all for opening, because, yes, staying closed for too long would be very bad.

Do you actually know any doctors? Talk to them. None of the doctors I am talking to believe they are being pressured and I know doctors on multiple states. Almost all of them talk about how they are actually collecting the data and if they actually collected the flu data like this it would be a dramatic change - most believe the CDC flu stats would also be much smaller because it is entirely calculated and, your favorite, based on a mathematical formula without any real reporting or tracking on the micro level.

Death numbers will be revised, but the doctors are tracking this very closely and the pressure to do so is necessary - because we have to gather as much information, as accurately as possible, as quickly as possible. A doctor trying to say it was a death caused by pneumonia and not covid is just foolishness.

Anyway. I do appreciate the debate. Not trying to be fearful, just realistic. It is a tough situation and there isn't an easy answer.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer