Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you really need to ask if I’m serous about protesting doctors? You know what my point is. But, just in case someone else doesn’t, negligence vs malice...lots of deaths by doctors because they don’t care about black people vs. a few deaths by angry racist cops? Obviously one is sexier than the other. On the other hand, the way I just phrased that...I better shut up before that catches on too and it will be the next protest...
Regardless, how does the presence of one injustice mean an effort to end another injustice is wrong? Do you also yell at people raising money to fight cancer because they’re not also raising money to help the orphans and stray puppies? Why do cancer charities hate orphans and puppies!

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Trump has unemployment at 11% during the worst pandemic and rioting in some time. Wake up already, he was voted in because he was going to stimulate and grow the economy. All races have made more money the last couple of years than ever. If you were motivated you had plenty of opportunities, unfortunately alot of white and black would rather collect free handouts and blame the government that they cannot live like middle class.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trump has unemployment at 11% during the worst pandemic and rioting in some time. Wake up already, he was voted in because he was going to stimulate and grow the economy. All races have made more money the last couple of years than ever. If you were motivated you had plenty of opportunities, unfortunately alot of white and black would rather collect free handouts and blame the government that they cannot live like middle class.
So him being good for the economy means that he’s beyond reproach for botching his response to the virus by still basically encouraging people not to wear masks? And Pence pretty much pressuring people near him to not wear masks during conferences with him? That makes no sense. How would him encouraging people to wear masks hurt the economy? If anything, it would help us get over the pandemic faster!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So him being good for the economy means that he’s beyond reproach for botching his response to the virus by still basically encouraging people not to wear masks? And Pence pretty much pressuring people near him to not wear masks during conferences with him? That makes no sense. How would him encouraging people to wear masks hurt the economy? If anything, it would help us get over the pandemic faster!
i don't follow the news much these days...can you point me to trump telling people not to wear masks, i need to see that for myself?

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Um if people had self responsibility they would do what is right for them instead of whining and blaming the president. I don't put myself in a situation if I don't want to be there. But if I do it's on me. But hey I realize I am not the norm, can only blame myself for what comes of my life.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Regardless, how does the presence of one injustice mean an effort to end another injustice is wrong? Do you also yell at people raising money to fight cancer because they’re not also raising money to help the orphans and stray puppies? Why do cancer charities hate orphans and puppies!
😂
Anyway, moving right along...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't follow the news much these days...can you point me to trump telling people not to wear masks, i need to see that for myself?
He seems to have changed his tune in literally the last few days.

Earlier, even last month, he took off his make for photo shoots, saying he didn’t want to give the media the satisfaction of seeing him wearing one.

In late May, he shared a Tweet that mandated masks represent a culture of slavery and death. That it’s about social control and not public health.

If he has changed his tune, great, everyone was wrong about something at some point.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
He seems to have changed his tune in literally the last few days.

Earlier, even last month, he took off his make for photo shoots, saying he didn’t want to give the media the satisfaction of seeing him wearing one.

In late May, he shared a Tweet that mandated masks represent a culture of slavery and death. That it’s about social control and not public health.

If he has changed his tune, great, everyone was wrong about something at some point.
interesting...i had to stop following the news as much...it was infringing on my pursuit of life liberty and happiness, i seem to be better without it, lol.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the idea of protesting doctors is. Valid analogy. BLM is not picking out ONLY killings with malice. They are assuming every killing of a black man by a police officer is racially motivated. I bet they would include killings by black officers if it benefited their movement. And they include killings that are likely justified in the line of duty.

Meanwhile, there are studies showing doctors give lesser treatment to black patients.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think the idea of protesting doctors is. Valid analogy. BLM is not picking out ONLY killings with malice. They are assuming every killing of a black man by a police officer is racially motivated. I bet they would include killings by black officers if it benefited their movement. And they include killings that are likely justified in the line of duty.

Meanwhile, there are studies showing doctors give lesser treatment to black patients.
Please, protest MDs, DOs, NPs, & PAs next time you or a family member needs to go to the ER. Good luck with that.

I guarantee you no one in the place that finds themselves caring for you whether you’re red/white/black/brown/purple is just purposely letting people die when they’re yelling that they cant breathe. Go ahead and keep creating false equivalencies though...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Please, protest MDs, DOs, NPs, & PAs next time you or a family member needs to go to the ER. Good luck with that.

I guarantee you no one in the place that finds themselves caring for you whether you’re red/white/black/brown/purple is just purposely letting people die when they’re yelling that they cant breathe. Go ahead and keep creating false equivalencies though...
Sorry, I may not have been clear. I think the analogy is valid. The same logic is being applied in both situations. The doctor application, however, really highlights how ludicrous the "protest the police" logic is - that is my point.

And your application carries that point further. Please protest police next time someone rapes, attacks, or kills a family member or robs your house.

In other words, we agree...like GreenMachine, I am just saying the logic is highly flawed.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this guy may be my new favorite... fricken priceless conjecture~

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry, I may not have been clear. I think the analogy is valid. The same logic is being applied in both situations. The doctor application, however, really highlights how ludicrous the "protest the police" logic is - that is my point.

And your application carries that point further. Please protest police next time someone rapes, attacks, or kills a family member or robs your house.

In other words, we agree...like GreenMachine, I am just saying the logic is highly flawed.
Ahh, yes. I misunderstood. We’re on the same page

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Exactly. Thank you for explaining it better.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow I dont know what's going on anymore in this thread.

But more on topic of op. What I'm worried about is a second closure on gyms we just opened up but new cases are going up so fast they may consider another round

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

But more on topic of op. What I'm worried about is a second closure on gyms we just opened up but new cases are going up so fast they may consider another round
you are reading my mind, i see this coming-unfortunately....

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

the cases may be going up but if you look at the numbers, these are mostly young people and the cases are very mild. the death rate continues to fall daily. so its sucks that your suspicion may come to fruition. The libs will ride this train until the elections are over... then it will probably be like any of your everyday memes. "and just like that covid 19 dissapeared"

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the cases may be going up but if you look at the numbers, these are mostly young people and the cases are very mild. the death rate continues to fall daily. so its sucks that your suspicion may come to fruition. The libs will ride this train until the elections are over... then it will probably be like any of your everyday memes. "and just like that covid 19 dissapeared"
My friend, I hope you are right that it will "just disappear," but that may well not be the case, especially if people are careless about it. Have you researched the Spanish Flu at all? Genuinely curious, as the second wave of the Spanish flu killed ~5x more people than the first wave.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

The idea that if we do nothing it'll just go away is silly. The reason it hasn't been more catastrophic is BECAUSE of the actions we've been taking that people like you say are "overreactions."

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i am sick of political views being crammed down my throat...i went to record r
My friend, I hope you are right that it will "just disappear," but that may well not be the case, especially if people are careless about it. Have you researched the Spanish Flu at all? Genuinely curious, as the second wave of the Spanish flu killed ~5x more people than the first wave.

View attachment 195363

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

The idea that if we do nothing it'll just go away is silly. The reason it hasn't been more catastrophic is BECAUSE of the actions we've been taking that people like you say are "overreactions."
i would not be surprised to see that after the election drugs for the treatment of covid19 'miraculously' start appearing.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i am sick of political views being crammed down my throat...i went to record r

i would not be surprised to see that after the election drugs for the treatment of covid19 'miraculously' start appearing.
I mean, the longer from now it is, the more likely it is we have better treatments. Also, there are OTHER COUNTRIES BESIDES THE US you know. Why would the UK, Australia, Germany, etc. wait to release drugs for an AMERICAN election lol. You think the US is the only country in the world that develops drugs?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I mean, the longer from now it is, the more likely it is we have better treatments. Also, there are OTHER COUNTRIES BESIDES THE US you know. Why would the UK, Australia, Germany, etc. wait to release drugs for an AMERICAN election lol. You think the US is the only country in the world that develops drugs?
in case you haven't noticed--politics are global.

you think other countries don't care about american politics?

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The idea this disease will simply go away seems a bit far fetched. The idea that the government can protect us from a virus is even more absurd. If it is half as contagious as they would like us to believe then you have either been exposed / had covid 19 or you will be. Since the death rate is dropping- and the CDC has had a problem reporting deaths...i.e. theyve revised them lower multiple times (not all the news agencies are reporting those revisions) It appears healthy people will be just fine. I'm more concerned about the flu than covid 19 based on all the data. If I listen to all the speculation than I'm more worried about covid than any other disease. What a mess. Bottom line - if you are not a "healthy" individual then take all the precautions you think are necessary. Quarantine, only shop at places that require masks....other than that this is a silly subject based on the many scenarios we are given from every end of the spectrum....time will tell

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
in case you haven't noticed--politics are global.

you think other countries don't care about american politics?
There's been 40k plus COVID deaths in the UK, and probably close to 10k each in Germany and Australia. No, I don't think THE ENTIRE WORLD, and FOREIGN PRIVATE COMPANIES WHO COULD MAKE AN ABSOLUTE KILLING ON THESE DRUGS are ALL waiting for US election to end. The entire world doesn't revolve ENTIRELY around the United States. Very arrogant of us to think it does IMO.

Honest question: how much do you know about drug development and approval? There are already a number of drugs being tested, but approval takes time, and trials, to determine safety and efficacy. Not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy based solely on the US.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There's been 40k plus COVID deaths in the UK, and probably close to 10k each in Germany and Australia. No, I don't think THE ENTIRE WORLD, and FOREIGN PRIVATE COMPANIES WHO COULD MAKE AN ABSOLUTE KILLING ON THESE DRUGS are ALL waiting for US election to end. The entire world doesn't revolve ENTIRELY around the United States. Very arrogant of us to think it does IMO.

Honest question: how much do you know about drug development and approval? There are already a number of drugs being tested, but approval takes time, and trials, to determine safety and efficacy. Not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy based solely on the US.
i don't know a lot about anything...but i do know there are people in a lot of countries that hate trump...i honestly believe there are many people who would do anything to prevent trumps re-election.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't know a lot about anything...but i do know there are people in a lot of countries that hate trump...i honestly believe there are many people who would do anything to prevent trumps re-election.
I can tell you that the heads of most foreign pharmaceutical companies love MONEY a lot more than they hate Trump. And they know if they have something ready now, and wait several months to release it for the US election, they risk not being the first to the market, potentially losing literally BILLIONS of dollars. Sorry, but I vehemently disagree with you on this one.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Its a gawd dayummed shame most of em are here in this country tho

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The idea this disease will simply go away seems a bit far fetched. The idea that the government can protect us from a virus is even more absurd. If it is half as contagious as they would like us to believe then you have either been exposed / had covid 19 or you will be. Since the death rate is dropping- and the CDC has had a problem reporting deaths...i.e. theyve revised them lower multiple times (not all the news agencies are reporting those revisions) It appears healthy people will be just fine. I'm more concerned about the flu than covid 19 based on all the data. If I listen to all the speculation than I'm more worried about covid than any other disease. What a mess. Bottom line - if you are not a "healthy" individual then take all the precautions you think are necessary. Quarantine, only shop at places that require masks....other than that this is a silly subject based on the many scenarios we are given from every end of the spectrum....time will tell
How are you more concerned about the flu? COVID has already killed 2-6x more people than your typical flu season does, and that's WITH all the distancing and shutdowns we have had. Also, excess deaths this year DO match the reported number of COVID deaths. And the revisions being made are relatively small in the scheme of things, not enough to drastically change things. Do you want me to re-post my sources for these claims? I can. They were in this very thread IIRC.

Also, up to 45% of Americans have pre-existing conditions that makes them vulnerable to COVID, with up to 20% of people aged 20-29 even. I can also re-share this source if you want me to.

So up to half the population of the country are not "healthy individuals" here, and 1 in 5 20-somethings are not either.

Do you want me to re-post the sources? Please tell me. And explain if/why you disagree with them...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I can tell you that the heads of most foreign pharmaceutical companies love MONEY a lot more than they hate Trump. And they know if they have something ready now, and wait several months to release it for the US election, they risk not being the first to the market, potentially losing literally BILLIONS of dollars. Sorry, but I vehemently disagree with you on this one.
it's ok if we disagree...but i think there is much more money involved getting trump out---he is standing in the way of globalism.

trumps america1st is costing them in a big way.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You may not realize this, but you are falling victim to the most liberal of mindsets/myths. The myth of "secret knowledge". The idea that there is someone at a university, or a doctor, or whatever authority you like that has some "secret knowledge" that is unattainable by mere mortals.

The fact of the matter is, there are thousands of scientists with vast resources and intelligence searching for a treatment to this. There are also doctors doing the same thing. The idea that there could be a treatment out there and it is being kept secret is ludicrous. I mean, my friend is a doctor and he has patients he is giving drugs to and trying things on that seem to be within reason...and he's just one doctor. There are thousands of him out there, many who are probably more willing to reach further into their bag of tricks in dire circumstances...not to mention individuals willing to swallow bleach for this...

If there was a solution out there and anyone found it, it would be very unlikely that it could be kept secret. And if it was a complex solution that someone found first - they wouldn't be keeping it under wraps right now and risking someone else figures it out before they can get credit and rights to their discovery. That would be very risky and would require cooperation among some of the most competitive, cut-throat companies out there. I mean, if all the drug companies are actually creating these conspiracies...would you trust your competitor to play by the rules if you made a deal to keep it secret?

To be more clear - you just discovered the cure to Covid and you could make millions, but you want Trump out. I'm your competitor and I have already cut your throat in this industry a half dozen times, and you've cut mine a half dozen times in the past. You come to me and say, "Hey, I have the cure, but I'm going to sit on this for 6 months. Would you agree to keep this under wraps and stop working on this so that we can wait until Trump is out of office?"

I say yes.

Here is the question now. How fuggin' dumb are you? Are you going to sit around and take my word for it? Or do you think I'm going to keep working until I figure it out, knowing I have 6 months were you're just sitting on it....and I can beat you to the punch and make billions.

I know you can't be that naive...mainly because you've displayed greater intelligence than this in other posts on this board.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it's ok if we disagree...but i think there is much more money involved getting trump out---he is standing in the way of globalism.

You mean to tell me that a German/UK/Australian PRIVATE pharmaceutical company has more to gain by getting Trump out than they do by being the first to market with a successful COVID treatment? Yeah, no.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
oh I don't disagree one bit. if he fails to be re-elected, you can kiss America good bye. that's not speculation. its down to that point.

Rush always said it would be pretty impossible to stop the destruction once the progressives reached 50% of the population. welp, looks like that day has come. and unfortunately there are no mule deer on Mars.

FML

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You may not realize this, but you are falling victim to the most liberal of mindsets/myths. The myth of "secret knowledge". The idea that there is someone at a university, or a doctor, or whatever authority you like that has some "secret knowledge" that is unattainable by mere mortals.

The fact of the matter is, there are thousands of scientists with vast resources and intelligence searching for a treatment to this. There are also doctors doing the same thing. The idea that there could be a treatment out there and it is being kept secret is ludicrous. I mean, my friend is a doctor and he has patients he is giving drugs to and trying things on that seem to be within reason...and he's just one doctor. There are thousands of him out there, many who are probably more willing to reach further into their bag of tricks in dire circumstances...not to mention individuals willing to swallow bleach for this...

If there was a solution out there and anyone found it, it would be very unlikely that it could be kept secret. And if it was a complex solution that someone found first - they wouldn't be keeping it under wraps right now and risking someone else figures it out before they can get credit and rights to their discovery. That would be very risky and would require cooperation among some of the most competitive, cut-throat companies out there. I mean, if all the drug companies are actually creating these conspiracies...would you trust your competitor to play by the rules if you made a deal to keep it secret?

To be more clear - you just discovered the cure to Covid and you could make millions, but you want Trump out. I'm your competitor and I have already cut your throat in this industry a half dozen times, and you've cut mine a half dozen times in the past. You come to me and say, "Hey, I have the cure, but I'm going to sit on this for 6 months. Would you agree to keep this under wraps and stop working on this so that we can wait until Trump is out of office?"

I say yes.

Here is the question now. How fuggin' dumb are you? Are you going to sit around and take my word for it? Or do you think I'm going to keep working until I figure it out, knowing I have 6 months were you're just sitting on it....and I can beat you to the punch and make billions.

I know you can't be that naive...mainly because you've displayed greater intelligence than this in other posts on this board.
Not MILLIONS. BILLIONS. And the reputation of being the company to "cure/fix/solve/etc." the worst pandemic in a century. Imagine passing this up because you don't like the leader of a FOREIGN country. It's laughable.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
oh I don't disagree one bit. if he fails to be re-elected, you can kiss America good bye. that's not speculation. its down to that point.

Rush always said it would be pretty impossible to stop the destruction once the progressives reached 50% of the population. welp, looks like that day has come. and unfortunately there are no mule deer on Mars.

FML
Lol. Is Rush's word Gospel now? And you act like Bush hasn't done anything to help lead America down a bad path. Yeah, it's 100% ALL the Democrats fault. Republicans have NEVER done anything wrong. Nope. Not once.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I say yes.

call me dumb, call me naive...by january 2021 drugs to treat covid 19 will be available, but not until after november-bookmark this post.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How are you more concerned about the flu? COVID has already killed 2-6x more people than your typical flu season does, and that's WITH all the distancing and shutdowns we have had. Also, excess deaths this year DO match the reported number of COVID deaths. And the revisions being made are relatively small in the scheme of things, not enough to drastically change things. Do you want me to re-post my sources for these claims? I can. They were in this very thread IIRC.

Also, up to 45% of Americans have pre-existing conditions that makes them vulnerable to COVID, with up to 20% of people aged 20-29 even. I can also re-share this source if you want me to.

So up to half the population of the country are not "healthy individuals" here, and 1 in 5 20-somethings are not either.

Do you want me to re-post the sources? Please tell me. And explain if/why you disagree with them...
I think you are being far to conservative with your numbers as well. 45% of Americans have pre-existing conditions...but how about we think bigger...70% of Americans are overweight and 40% are obese - a major pre-existing condition that correlates with higher death rates and worse outcomes in Covid infections.

Now, add in the % of normal weight individuals with pre-existing conditions. I would be we are at 80% or more of Americans at risk for this disease.

The data that is out there suggests that in order for us to reach herd immunity, without any other better intervention first, more than 2M Americans will die. That's the losses of WW2 every year for the next 5 years as an example. Maybe the data I have at this point is not accurate, but it's accurate enough that I can't believe it won't be at least half that. The math is simple.

And to be clear - I'm not arguing against you - I'm arguing WITH you. I think you're arguments are restrained :)

I do agree that a lot of people are looking for globalism at the expense of America. There was an article today saying how "European leaders believe that Biden will repair the relationships that Trump has damaged". Well, honestly, maybe I don't see a need to repair those relationships. It's a "please sir, may I have another" situation. Like it is some privilege for us to be in an international relationship where we pay for things and provide support and aid and get almost nothing in return. Just like Trump with the WHO funding. We spent WAY more than any other country on WHO and I can see an argument that it is necessary - but what are we getting for paying for everyone else's share? Why do we need to repair relationships like this?

It's like an abuser saying, "You left me because I hit you every day. But leaving me was really bad and you owe me a lot before I'll let you come back."

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not MILLIONS. BILLIONS. And the reputation of being the company to "cure/fix/solve/etc." the worst pandemic in a century. Imagine passing this up because you don't like the leader of a FOREIGN country. It's laughable.
Great point. And it's for 4 years only.....

If I'm that evil that I would let at least hundreds of thousands of lives perish because I hate someone - well then I wouldn't care if Hitler runs the country for the next 4 years if I was guaranteed to make billions during that timeframe. It's going to be a good 4 years for me.

Obviously I hesitate to use that analogy over the internet, but I hope the meaning conveys.

Lol. Is Rush's word Gospel now? And you act like Bush hasn't done anything to help lead America down a bad path. Yeah, it's 100% ALL the Democrats fault. Republicans have NEVER done anything wrong. Nope. Not once.
I love Rush. He can be thought provoking. Not gospel...but....still.

The issue with republicans is that you CANNOT be a career politician AND a republican. They are in-congruent ideas. If you are a career politician, you gain power and benefits by making your job more and more indispensable - which means the more you grow the government and get people on hand outs, the more solidified your position becomes. Term limits is the only way to get true republicans back into power, in my humble opinion.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
call me dumb, call me naive...by january 2021 drugs to treat covid 19 will be available, but not until after november-bookmark this post.
Sorry - I hope you know I wasn't calling you dumb or naive, I don't think of you as being either by a long shot and I didn't mean to call names if it came out that way. I should have communicated better.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it's also laughable that you think this chance for money will disappear if they wait until after november.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it's also laughable that you think this chance for money will disappear if they wait until after november.
If ONE company decides they love money more than they hate Trump, and gets it out before November, then yeah, the money will be greatly diminished if you're not the first one to the punch. If the pandemic is still around when one company brings a safe and effective treatment to market, say in November, imagine how much money they'll make, and the market share they'll eat up, while other companies sit on finished products for MONTHS because they hate Trump, the leader of a FOREIGN COUNTRY. It's beyond laughable really...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think you are being far to conservative with your numbers as well. 45% of Americans have pre-existing conditions...but how about we think bigger...70% of Americans are overweight and 40% are obese - a major pre-existing condition that correlates with higher death rates and worse outcomes in Covid infections.

Now, add in the % of normal weight individuals with pre-existing conditions. I would be we are at 80% or more of Americans at risk for this disease.

The data that is out there suggests that in order for us to reach herd immunity, without any other better intervention first, more than 2M Americans will die. That's the losses of WW2 every year for the next 5 years as an example. Maybe the data I have at this point is not accurate, but it's accurate enough that I can't believe it won't be at least half that. The math is simple.

And to be clear - I'm not arguing against you - I'm arguing WITH you. I think you're arguments are restrained :)

I do agree that a lot of people are looking for globalism at the expense of America. There was an article today saying how "European leaders believe that Biden will repair the relationships that Trump has damaged". Well, honestly, maybe I don't see a need to repair those relationships. It's a "please sir, may I have another" situation. Like it is some privilege for us to be in an international relationship where we pay for things and provide support and aid and get almost nothing in return. Just like Trump with the WHO funding. We spent WAY more than any other country on WHO and I can see an argument that it is necessary - but what are we getting for paying for everyone else's share? Why do we need to repair relationships like this?

It's like an abuser saying, "You left me because I hit you every day. But leaving me was really bad and you owe me a lot before I'll let you come back."
Go through my post history. I shared my sources for where I got my % values from. I'm not sure if it's only obesity, or only morbid obesity, they considered to be a true risk factor here, but they were reputable papers, and even "only" 45% is still a pretty damn huge number, and directly conflicts with the people here saying "oh, just quarantine retirement homes and the few people at risk." Man, it's half the damn population, not just a bunch of old people and a few people with cancer. But people ITT won't let facts get in the way of "what they see." What a shame...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If ONE company decides they love money more than they hate Trump, and gets it out before November, then yeah, the money will be greatly diminished if you're not the first one to the punch. If the pandemic is still around when one company brings a safe and effective treatment to market, say in November, imagine how much money they'll make, and the market share they'll eat up, while other companies sit on finished products for MONTHS because they hate Trump, the leader of a FOREIGN COUNTRY. It's beyond laughable really...
lol...you ever hear of a little oil organisation called opec?

opec was founded in 1960, you don't think todays phamaceutical giants haven't learned a thing or two, lol.

if a bunch of arab countries that hated each other could come together, you don't think phamaceutical companies could?

c'mom, man

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The issue with republicans is that you CANNOT be a career politician AND a republican. They are in-congruent ideas. If you are a career politician, you gain power and benefits by making your job more and more indispensable - which means the more you grow the government and get people on hand outs, the more solidified your position becomes. Term limits is the only way to get true republicans back into power, in my humble opinion.
I hate to break it to you, but 99.9% of politicians today, on both sides, are in favor of big government. They just want to control you in different ways.

Democrats want to tax the hell out of you, and have more control of the economy, and want to ban most/all guns, but want less social laws/rules, less illegal drugs.

Republicans want less taxes and control over the economy, and less gun-control laws, but want more restrictive social laws, things that make/keep a ton of drugs illegal, that prevent abortions (often even in the case of rape and incest), and often that prevent gay couples from having the same rights under the law as straight couples. Now, I'm ALL for allowing a given religion to accept and refuse whatever they want, but the GOVERNMENT should grant a CIVIL UNION to any two consenting, mentally sound adults, and their religion of choice can accept or deny their "marriage" as they see fit.

And then BOTH parties seem to love spying on people, whether it's Bush and the Patriot Act, or Obama and the NSA Spying.

NEITHER party is "small government" in 2020. Just big in different ways.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

opec was founded in 1960, you don't think todays phamaceutical giants haven't learned a thing or two, lol.

if a bunch of arab countries that hated each other could come together, you don't think phamaceutical companies could?

c'mom, man
So you think EVERY SINGLE FOREIGN PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD are all waiting for the US election to end, because they ALL hate a FOREIGN LEADER so much that NONE OF THEM will want to be the first to market what would be viewed as a literal MIRACLE DRUG?

Comparing this to oil is wrong. Oil is something with a CONSTANT demand for years/decades. This COVID drug would be an immediate commodity, with whoever gets it first making a killing, and everyone else left sitting on their hands with their thumbs up their asses, and tens of millions of dollars of R&D dollars wasted because they sat on a finished product for MONTHS waiting for a FOREIGN ELECTION to end.

It's just bad logic man. I'm sorry, but you're better than that...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

c'mom, man
Also, in addition to the points raised in my other post, oil is oil, so they can all work together to try to set the market and prices to benefit them all. You can't patent oil...

But with pharmaceutical companies, the first one to the punch gets the patent, and the first one to the market gets the market share and the press. It's not even remotely comparable.