Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can you try grabbing the handles higher so you don’t have to flare/tuck back and forth?

You will always draw the lats down in any squat variation to lock the rib cage , regardless of hand position.

Squats looked really clean and nothing glaring popped out that I could offer suggestions on; nice work today!

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Nice Reps !
Thanks bro!

Can you try grabbing the handles higher so you don’t have to flare/tuck back and forth?

You will always draw the lats down in any squat variation to lock the rib cage , regardless of hand position.

Squats looked really clean and nothing glaring popped out that I could offer suggestions on; nice work today!
I can try grabbing them higher next time. I was given the advice of also bringing the handles forward when in the hole.

A friend of mine gave a breakdown as well when it comes to bracing that helped him out that I will try.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you not use the handles on most variations?
If the handles don’t directly touch my legs when squatting, I leave them on. I also have to occasionally move my elbows out of the way when using them, but I do my best to not use my handles to balance the bar (as best as possible).

I was pretty pumped to get my first training session in with my Transformer Bar. I am just replacing all my squat work with it going forward. There's no need to use a barbell for squat work at this point in my training.

I included a video of my three working sets. You'll notice at the bottom of the squat I flare my elbows out to avoid any interference with the handles and to be able to hit depth. I don't know if I'm doing it correctly or not. Those that are more experienced with the bar if you can chime in and let me know I'd appreciate it.
Yeah, that looks about right.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
If the handles don’t directly touch my legs when squatting, I leave them on. I also have to occasionally move my elbows out of the way when using them, but I do my best to not use my handles to balance the bar (as best as possible).

Yeah, that looks about right.
Do you flare your elbows like that as well?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well with the ok from my wife I went ahead and made one last purchase for my garage gym. Since being out of a commercial gym I miss access to a lat pull-down and low row machine. Well this purchase went ahead and solved that. Instead of getting a dedicated lat pull-down/low row combo I went ahead and got one that attaches to my Rep Fitness rack.

View attachment 217490
I actually build a ghetto ass pulley system in my basement during covid I believe to replicate this lol
IMG_20200422_151509_02.jpg
IMG_20200422_151509_01.jpg
IMG_20200423_123907.jpg
IMG_20200422_151912_01.jpg

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The pulleys are rated for 1000 and the rope/cable for 400, I'd say it's very safe

Edit: technically the pulleys are rated for 500 ea, but either way, I'm not going to be doing 400lb pulldowns or tricep extensions

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I got my blemished Transformer Bar today. Let me tell you there wasn't one single blemish that I could find on this bar.

It is an absolute unit of a bar and I can't wait to start using it in my training. My only concern is the length of the handles. I tried some squats with it with just no weight on it. Keeping my elbows tight and into my sides resulted in the handles hitting the top of my knees. I adjusted by flaring my elbow out a little and shifting the handles forward as I got into the squat hole, which was better.

Other than that I'll see how it performs, but I feel I won't be disappointed.

View attachment 217798

View attachment 217799

View attachment 217800

View attachment 217801

View attachment 217802
That's what's up

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
This morning's training session was solid. Everything felt good and my OHP felt strong.

Jun 20, 2022
Bodyweight

531 BBB, C2, W3, D3

Barbell overhead press
90x5
100x5
115x5 @7
70x10 Cambered bar
70x10
70x10
70x10
70x10

A. Incline Dumbbell Press
55x10 +5lbs
55x10
55x10

B. Pulldowns
130x12 +2 reps
130x12 +2 reps
130x12 +2 reps

Face pulls
35x15
35x15
35x15

Hammer Curl
45x12 +2 reps
45x12 +2 reps
45x12 +2 reps

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice score on the new goodies! Those powerblocks are sweet. My friend has a set and I’ve trained with them quite a few times. They hit harder IMO

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Nice score on the new goodies! Those powerblocks are sweet. My friend has a set and I’ve trained with them quite a few times. They hit harder IMO
I was worried they would feel weird since I'm so use to dumbbells. They aren't an issue at all and I love the feel of them.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was worried they would feel weird since I'm so use to dumbbells. They aren't an issue at all and I love the feel of them.
Glad you are enjoying them !!

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
This morning's training session was a great way to end the second mesocycle.

Deadlifts were a breeze and felt good. The front squat setting on the Transformer Bar is awesome!

Not having to worry about straining my wrist to get into a front rack position for a front squat is such a huge relief. Using the front squat setting definitely feels like a front squat. I held the handles higher today and had no issues with having to flare my elbows so I'll be doing that going forward.

I'm definitely going to love this setting on my deadlift day.

Jun 21, 2022
Bodyweight 198.8

531 BBB C2, W3, D4

Deadlift

210x5
240x5
270x5 @6.5
170x10
170x10
170x10

Transformer Bar Front Squat
145x10
145x10
145x10

Barbell Row
135x12
135x12
135x12

Last edited:
Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
I received my Rep Fitness lat pull-down / low row attachment for my rack. I put it together after work and it's awesome.

I'm glad I got it as it adds more functionality to my power rack, saves on space, and adds more versatility to my training.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks Great !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice, your really heading towards a pretty complete gym…..Oh but don’t tell the wife, because there’s always something we “need”. 😇

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It ends when you run out of room.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I received my Rep Fitness lat pull-down / low row attachment for my rack. I put it together after work and it's awesome.

I'm glad I got it as it adds more functionality to my power rack, saves on space, and adds more versatility to my training.

View attachment 218082

View attachment 218083
That’s awesome man. Most of my rack, including the lat/low row, came in today. Feel like a kid who just got his first Nintendo (or whatever kids are playing now).

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
That’s awesome man. Most of my rack, including the lat/low row, came in today. Feel like a kid who just got his first Nintendo (or whatever kids are playing now).
Delivery day for gym equipment always feels like Christmas. I check the UPS tracking so many times during the day I can't keep count haha.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jun 24, 2022
Bodyweight 199.2

531 C3, W1, D1 PR SET W/FSL ANCHOR

Bench Press

140x3
160x3
180x11 PR set @ 9.5
140x5 Cambered bar
140x5
140x5
140x5
140x5

Dips
35x10 +1 rep
35x10 +1 rep
35x10 +1 rep

Seated pulley back row
90x15
110x15
110x15
110x15

Solid morning training session. My bench felt nice and strong and was content on the top set of 180.

Using my new lat pull-down/low row attachment was awesome. I used some Super Lube lubricant on the guide rods and the movement is so smooth. Using the low row was great!

It was a solid start to the third cycle.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RP always make for a good workout

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jun 25, 2022

Bodyweight 195.6

531 C3, W1, D1 PR Set w/FSL Anchor

Transformer Bar low bar squat
155x3
180x3
200x10 @8 or 2RIR

155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

Transformer Bar good morning
155x8
155x8
155x8

Pull Up

This morning's training went well. With the Transformer Bar squats I moved the handles forward and slightly up as I descended and felt that helped a lot in the low bar position.

I followed that up with some good mornings which I like a lot using the hinge setting on the bar. It feels way more natural than using a barbell for good mornings.

I added some wall control to help some clutter around my garage gym and it definitely helped and also looks nice.

IMG_9990.JPG

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jun 27, 2022
Bodyweight 197.6

Barbell overhead press
90x3
100x3
110x10 @ 2RIR

90x5 Cambered bar
90x5
90x5
90x5
90x5

Incline Dumbbell Press
60x10 +5lbs
60x10
60x10

Pulldowns
110x12
110x10
110x10
110x10

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My shoulders hurt just watching that video !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Glad you got a good workout in !!

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jun 28, 2022
Bodyweight

531 C3, W1, D4 PR Set w/FSL Anchor

Deadlift
200x3
230x3
260x12 E1RM 363
200x5
200x5
200x5

Transformer Bar Front Squat
150x8 +5lbs
150x8
150x8

Chest supported DB row
65x15 +5lbs
65x15
65x12

Man was this training session brutal. On paper, it doesnt look that way but when training in a 90-degree garage, it was just brutal.

After my top set on deadlifts I was just gassed. It took me a good 20 minutes just to get back into training cause I was wiped out. Instead of a 5x5 set up for deadlifts I just cut 2 sets out and did a 3x5.

Aside from that though training was solid and everything felt strong. It was a good end to the first week of this mesocycle.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is a very satisfying feeling when you exhaust yourself

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, deadlifts drain me quicker than any exercise. I couldn’t imagine doing it in Arizona heat with no air. You should get you one of those portable AC units…….probably be worth the $200 or so just to beat the heat.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, deadlifts drain me quicker than any exercise. I couldn’t imagine doing it in Arizona heat with no air. You should get you one of those portable AC units…….probably be worth the $200 or so just to beat the heat.
Did you have one in mind I can take a look into? I wouldn't know where to start with a AC unit for a garage gym nor anyh crazy installation lol.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did you have one in mind I can take a look into? I wouldn't know where to start with a AC unit for a garage gym nor anyh crazy installation lol.
gp beat me to it, but yeah, I totally second this. You deserve to lift in comfort man, and some of those bars you've been getting probably cost more than some of the lower priced AC options that are out there.

You're a beast for doing it in that heat though, no doubt!

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
gp beat me to it, but yeah, I totally second this. You deserve to lift in comfort man, and some of those bars you've been getting probably cost more than some of the lower priced AC options that are out there.

You're a beast for doing it in that heat though, no doubt!
Are there ones that can cool a 2 car garage that are just plug in?

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here’s a Black and Decker model….Amazon has plenty to choose from. Really you just plug it in near where your working out, it has a hose you run outside, but you can pretty much move the unit around with you as you workout.
There are more expensive models that cool a much larger area, but the $200-300 ones work really well in your personal space.
Much better than dealing with that Arizona desert heat.🔥

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Here’s a Black and Decker model….Amazon has plenty to choose from. Really you just plug it in near where your working out, it has a hose you run outside, but you can pretty much move the unit around with you as you workout.
There are more expensive models that cool a much larger area, but the $200-300 ones work really well in your personal space.
Much better than dealing with that Arizona desert heat.🔥
Well the issue is my garage doesn't have any windows or anything to allow me to run that hose that needs to go be installed in a window or opening I assume.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well the issue is my garage doesn't have any windows or anything to allow me to run that hose that needs to go be installed in a window or opening I assume.
Ahh, yeah that’s a problem, if you don’t have a door or window to run the hose out, because it blows out hot air.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Ahh, yeah that’s a problem, if you don’t have a door or window to run the hose out, because it blows out hot air.
Yeah I don't have any opening in the garage to run that hose to a window unfortunately.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you spend a little more on a mini split unit you can actually get everything run through the wall.

The units will be more expensive and youll want to get it professionally installed, but if you can afford it youll be glad you did.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
If you spend a little more on a mini split unit you can actually get everything run through the wall.

The units will be more expensive and youll want to get it professionally installed, but if you can afford it youll be glad you did.
Unfortunately, that isn't an option right now. It'll definitely be something I'll consider for the future.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jul 2, 2022
Bodyweight 198

531 C3, W2, D2

Transformer Bar low bar squat
145x5
165x5
190x5
145x5 Banded w/pro mini
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
*Decided to use my EliteFTS pro mini bands (red bands) for the 5x5 work. It's my first time using bands and they felt awesome. It'll be something I'll be doing going forward more than likely.

Transformer Bar good morning
160x6 +5lbs
160x6
160x6

Pull Up
10 +2 reps
10 +2 reps
10 +2 reps

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They’re great. Especially their red miniband, that one has such an excellent force curve for raw lifting - either doubled for bench or just choked normally for a squat.

I think the lone caveat is that someone shouldn’t only do lifting against bands, since they can kind of anchor you/keep you in an ideal bar path (same as only doing machine work). So if you never do work without them, I’ve found I lose some stability with pure straight weight. But you can add them to a lot of work and get a nice overload at the strongest point in the lift with no downside.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cyrix General Chat 10
ethan_wilde Training Forum 11
T Training Forum 9
T Workout Logs 30
T Anabolics 9