Anthony's garage gym training log

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well with the ok from my wife I went ahead and made one last purchase for my garage gym. Since being out of a commercial gym I miss access to a lat pull-down and low row machine. Well this purchase went ahead and solved that. Instead of getting a dedicated lat pull-down/low row combo I went ahead and got one that attaches to my Rep Fitness rack.

View attachment 217490
Nice! I have that coming with my rack as well.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Nice! I have that coming with my rack as well.
Hell yeah man! I've been wanting it ever since I got my rack back in like 2020 or whenever it was lol. It's going to add so much more versatility to the garage gym. I think I'm done with purchases for right now, well that's what my wife tells me lmao.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell yeah man! I've been wanting it ever since I got my rack back in like 2020 or whenever it was lol. It's going to add so much more versatility to the garage gym. I think I'm done with purchases for right now, well that's what my wife tells me lmao.
Haha, ya my wife tells me the same thing. I’ve already bought upgrades for my rack and it hasn’t even shipped yet 🤦‍♂️

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like you have a good wife !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We want an independent Pulldown/low row as well, but there’s just not really more room in our setup. Probably the best way to get a cable setup, assuming you don’t need cable flies.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you have a good wife !
She's definitely a keeper.

We want an independent Pulldown/low row as well, but there’s just not really more room in our setup. Probably the best way to get a cable setup, assuming you don’t need cable flies.
The one I was looking at was the Titan Fitness 300lb stack lat pull-down. I still didn't want to dedicate a space for that. It made more sense to get the piece for my power rack to save on floor space.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Well I thought I was done with adding equipment to my garage gym but.....

I've been wanting to get heavier dumbbells but two things were stopping me. The price for dumbbells from 55lbs on up get expensive. On top of that they take a lot of space in your home gym. So my other option was adjustable dumbbells and there are several to choose from.

I was scrolling through Offer Up and found these beauties. They are the Power Block Elite and go from 5-90lbs. Not only are they in pristine condition from the looks of it, comes with a stand, but now I just added dumbbells from 55-90 (I already have a set of traditional dumbbells 5-50lbs) all while saving a lot of space and money.

I'll be picking these up after work.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve never used the Power Block dumbbells. I’d be interested to see how you like them when you try them out.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
I’ve never used the Power Block dumbbells. I’d be interested to see how you like them when you try them out.

I haven't either but everything I've read and seen review wise praise them as being the best adjustable dumbbells. It was a deal too hard to pass up.

If it doesn't work out I can easily flip them and sell them for more than I'm paying for easily.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I haven't either but everything I've read and seen review wise praise them as being the best adjustable dumbbells. It was a deal too hard to pass up.

If it doesn't work out I can easily flip them and sell them for more than I'm paying for easily.
What’d you give for them?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good Deal !

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
The start of week 2 went good this morning. I like using my EliteFTS American Cambered bar for the 5x10 sets so I'll continue to do that. I was excited to break in my new Power Blocks with some chest supported DB rows and they felt great. I was worried they would be constricting since the design is completely different than a normal dumbbell. They felt amazing and the design isn't an issue at all.

Jun 10, 2022
Bodyweight 200

531 BBB C2, W2, D1

Bench Press

140x5
160x5
180x5
110x10 Cambered bar
110x10
110x10
110x10
110x10
Chest supported DB row
45x15
55x15
55x15
55x15
Dips
35x8 +5lbs
35x8
35x8

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Probably a stupid question but what is the, 531 BBB C2, W2, D1 ?

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Probably a stupid question but what is the, 531 BBB C2, W2, D1 ?
531 is the training program, BBB is a template referred to as Boring But Big, C2 is Cycle 2 or mesocycle 2, W2 is week 2 of the mesocycle, and D1 is day 1.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
531 is the training program, BBB is a template referred to Boring But Big, C2 is Cycle 2 or mesocycle 2, W2 is week 2 of the mesocycle, and D1 is day 1.
Thank you! I'm a newbie !

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s a good program.👍

Anthony, on your Power Blocks, I know you probably haven’t had time to do much pressing or tried different curls (supinating & pronating), but curious if you notice any awkwardness or if they rub or catch your wrist or forearm? I had considered some of those, but that was part of my concern.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
It’s a good program.👍

Anthony, on your Power Blocks, I know you probably haven’t had time to do much pressing or tried different curls (supinating & pronating), but curious if you notice any awkwardness or if they rub or catch your wrist or forearm? I had considered some of those, but that was part of my concern.
When I got them in yesterday I tested some movements out i.e. curls, bench press, lateral raises, etc.

I was worried coming from traditional dumbbells that the cage like design where you put your hand would feel restrictive.

The design on the Elite set, which I have, has the main column you grip in the middle and has four others that are on each corner. I don't have any issue at all with the cage like design. You do slightly feel one of the columns on the back of your wrist ever so slightly when doing say curls. It's definitely not an issue at all. With doing something like a DB bench or DB incline they are great and feel natural.

During something like curls using supination, it feels great and no issue at all. I'm definitely 100% satisfied with them. While using them I don't feel like I'm missing out on something vs using traditional dumbbells.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
My apology for not updating my squat training from two days ago.

The squats were solid. I kept the training simple yet effective.

Jun 11, 2022
Bodyweight 200

531 BBB C2, W2, D2

Squat

150x5
170x5
190x5
120x10
120x10
120x10

Trap Bar RDL
155x12
155x12
155x12

Reverse hyper
90x25
90x25
90x25

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
This morning's training was solid. My OHP felt good and it was a nice switch up to use the cambered bar on the 5x10 sets.

Jun 13, 2022
Bodyweight 198.6

531 BBB C2, W2, D3

Barbell overhead press

80x5
100x5
110x5
70x10 Cambered bar
70x10
70x10
70x10
70x10

A. Incline Dumbbell Press
50x12
50x12
50x12

B. Pulldowns
130x10 +5lbs
130x10
130x10

Dumbbell rear row
50x12
50x12

Hammer Curl
45x10
45x10

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like a solid Leg Day !

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Looks like a solid Leg Day !
It definitely was.

I was going to push this training session to after work since I was expecting my Kabuki Strength Transformer Bar. Well leave it to UPS to delay it 1 business day. Instead of it coming today it'll be arriving tomorrow. So I woke up at 0600 hours and hit the garage to train. It was a solid day and a sweat fest.

Jun 14, 2022
Bodyweight 198

531 BBB C2, W2, D4

Deadlift

200x5
220x5
250x5
150x10
150x10
150x10
Dumbbell Row
70x12
70x12
70x12
Reverse hyper
90x30
90x30
90x25

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You putting in some solid workouts. I believe your in Arizona, aren’t you? I have a buddy in Phoenix and he said it’s super hot. We are in the mid 90s approaching the high 90s here in Georgia.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
You putting in some solid workouts. I believe your in Arizona, aren’t you? I have a buddy in Phoenix and he said it’s super hot. We are in the mid 90s approaching the high 90s here in Georgia.
Yeah I'm over in Phoenix. This week it's going to be 100+ degrees. When I'm training in my garage it's been averaging 90 degrees and that's at 0600 hours lol.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My gym is in my basement (Totally Under Ground) it's like a climate controlled environment.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
I got my blemished Transformer Bar today. Let me tell you there wasn't one single blemish that I could find on this bar.

It is an absolute unit of a bar and I can't wait to start using it in my training. My only concern is the length of the handles. I tried some squats with it with just no weight on it. Keeping my elbows tight and into my sides resulted in the handles hitting the top of my knees. I adjusted by flaring my elbow out a little and shifting the handles forward as I got into the squat hole, which was better.

Other than that I'll see how it performs, but I feel I won't be disappointed.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
That thing is sexy! Would rotating it to back and hinge squat configurations reposition the handles some, like position them higher away from your knees? Also, can you swap in shorter handles for SSB and front squat configurations?

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s another nice bar….never tried the transformer. Like Marne said, I wonder if your handles change positions as you change settings?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great Looking Bar !! Enjoy!

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
That thing is sexy! Would rotating it to back and hinge squat configurations reposition the handles some, like position them higher away from your knees? Also, can you swap in shorter handles for SSB and front squat configurations?
I'd have to train with it to get a feel for it and see how it goes. It shouldn't be an issue adapting to it.
That’s another nice bar….never tried the transformer. Like Marne said, I wonder if your handles change positions as you change settings?
Once I get use to it I'm sure it'll feel good. The different squat settings do change the position of the handles but that's due to the bar position changing.
Great Looking Bar !! Enjoy!
Thanks man!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe the handles unscrew right? The handles are considered cheating anyway
Being an older guy, I’m all for anything that helps me get results, even if I have to cheat a little. 😎

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Jun 17, 2022
Bodyweight 198

531 BBB C2, W3, D1

Bench Press
150x5
170x5
190x5 @8
*first 3 sets were all paused reps
120x10 Cambered bar
120x10
120x10
120x10
120x10

A. Dips
35x9 +1 rep
35x9 +1 rep
35x9 +1 rep

B. Chest supported DB row
60x12
60x12
60x12

This morning's training was great. My bench felt good and my top set was solid. Going forward I'll be rating my top sets just to get a better feel for using RPE. It'll only benefit me going forward I feel. It'll also help me gauge if I'm making improvements and what not.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Being an older guy, I’m all for anything that helps me get results, even if I have to cheat a little.
Depends on what you are using it for, right? Those handles will be awesome for things like GMs and unilateral work where you want to keep that bar planted. Things like squat variations, putting your hands on the pads and forcing yourself to maintain proper torso position in the squat will ultimately keep your back in safer positions and build stability/strength - using the handles for maxing/testing would be about optimal expression of strength.

Or you know whatever, just get more pounds on the bar

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Depends on what you are using it for, right? Those handles will be awesome for things like GMs and unilateral work where you want to keep that bar planted. Things like squat variations, putting your hands on the pads and forcing yourself to maintain proper torso position in the squat will ultimately keep your back in safer positions and build stability/strength - using the handles for maxing/testing would be about optimal expression of strength.

Or you know whatever, just get more pounds on the bar
Yeah, years ago I got a bulging disc in my neck from leaning too far forward on a heavy squat day. It happened so quickly I didn’t even catch the mistake, I was in a groove and just slipped up.
So I really haven’t done a lot of heavy squats like I used too, because of neck pain when I get under the bar. Unfortunately our gym doesn’t have any specialty bars, so I’m always interested when I see a lot of these bars, if I could find one to be able to do heavy squats again. Don’t get me wrong I like Bulgarian Split Squats and Lunges with Dumbbells, but you just can’t beat a good old heavy squat for legs.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey man, unscrew those handles when you have a narrow stance. Don’t fight it. I have to unscrew mine on the front squat variations. Balancing that bar without the knurl brings in more core anyway.

You’ll get used to it.

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, unscrew those handles when you have a narrow stance. Don’t fight it. I have to unscrew mine on the front squat variations. Balancing that bar without the knurl brings in more core anyway.

You’ll get used to it.
Do you not use the handles on most variations?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I could not squat with out the handle, my arm don't reach back that far.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I could not squat with out the handle, my arm don't reach back that far.
With my left elbow, I can barely get my hand on the bottom of the handle of my SSB without pain, but I can get the right hand up on the pad still and honestly that’s all you need if you keep your technique strong and hold your positions properly (keeping the load in your legs/hips and not lifting with your back primarily).

I do think it’s important to keep a hand on something to prevent the bar from falling off backwards, so if it has to be the handle that’s swell. I just don’t want it to be an integral part of my technique when not lifting maximally (ie pulling down or pushing up hard should be to save a rep from going south, not every rep).

Anthony_

Anthony_

Awards
  • Established
I was pretty pumped to get my first training session in with my Transformer Bar. I am just replacing all my squat work with it going forward. There's no need to use a barbell for squat work at this point in my training.

I included a video of my three working sets. You'll notice at the bottom of the squat I flare my elbows out to avoid any interference with the handles and to be able to hit depth. I don't know if I'm doing it correctly or not. Those that are more experienced with the bar if you can chime in and let me know I'd appreciate it.

Other than that the bar feels absolutely amazing! I had the bar set in the low bar squat position. I do notice you have to grip the handles a bit more in order to keep the bar tight on your back.

For my accessory work, I set it up on the hinge setting and did good mornings with it. This setting felt f'n good and so perfect for good mornings. It'll be an accessory movement I keep going forward.

Jun 18, 2022
Bodyweight 199

531 BBB C2, W3, D2

Squat
160x5
180x5
200x5 @7
130x10
130x10
130x10

Good morning
105x10