Advice on Muscle cramps

DirtiHadat

Awards
Hey all, my question is does anyone know of any suppliment thats good to take for muscle cramps. I get really bad ones in my legs, mostly the evening after working them out. I stretch and warm up before squat/legs, and also stretch in between sets. I 've been getting cramps in my feet and hands also. I drink plenty of water 3/4-1 gallon a day, my sodium intake maybe average, and the banana thing don't help me at all. The only supps. I'm taking in EAS protien powder and MMS liquid creatine serum. My diet is high protien; approx 60%pro 25%carb 15% fat. If you have any input to help out that would be great thanks in advance!!! :dunno:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I get the same thing...sometimes kills when my feet cramp up during leg work or deadlifts. Your electrolytes are likely out of wack. Check out Poseidon as a decent supp to help this. I also think your diet is the cause. Your ratios look out of wack, you're not getting enough minerals and nutrients this way, and if your casein intake is too high, it blocks absorption of minerals.

Also, you might want to get aldosterone tested by your doctor.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
ditto on Poseidon; I used to get bad leg cramps at night, they went away when I started taking it at night before going to bed...

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
i also agree with the above statement, sodium is great but ur muscles (and whole body) work in a system of balancing. I dont know if anyone has read much about it but the amount of sodium increased should be increased with the same amount of potassium. Generally potassium solves this problem, it should also solve any instances of involuntary muscle spasms

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
To increase potassium without adding more bananas, I eat a low-carb yogurt I get from kroger, if you have one. It only has 80 cal, 1.5f, 4 carbs, 12pro. It has a decent amount of potassium per serving and I generally eat 2 or 3 a day.

jef2007

jef2007

Awards
i get them as soon as i do leg curls, no other muscles cramp except my hamstrings just when i do leg curls lol

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i get them as soon as i do leg curls, no other muscles cramp except my hamstrings just when i do leg curls lol
Yeah that used to happen to me all the time until I started stretching them out a lot more. I also used to get cramps in my feet when doing barefooted deadlifts, or trying deads in my sandals.

I also used to get bad calf cramps doing leg presses, and sometimes at night. These have mostly gone away by properly balancing my mineral intake and drinking more water regularly (and of course more stretching). The night time cramps (restless legs) is a different matter though.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
There are only theories as to why muscle cramps occur-no definitive answer yet which leads to roughly 8 different theories. A few off the top of my head are: fluid/electrolyte balance, dehydration, biomechanical inefficiency, one study with protein denaturation i believe, abnormal neural control.

caliphotog

Awards
I did tons of research on this when I was using Clen, cause I got THE WORST cramps ever at night. Both calves, both hamstrings, and entire abdomen... I seriously almost passed out! :). Haha. Now I can laugh. Anyway... Nobody knows exactly what causes cramps. There are allot of diffent theories and possible causes. So, with that said here is what I did and I never got them again while doing this...

Drink 1 1/2 gallons of water throughout the day, 6 grams of Taurine,, then Drink 1 Pedialyte about an hour before bed and finally take Vitamin E and ZMA before bed.

Worked great for me!

naturalgainer

naturalgainer

Awards
  • Established
I use magnesium oil I it really calms down the muscle once it cramps.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
coconut water. I was getting bad cramps when grappling and the coconut water solved the issue for me. Taste is pretty rough (IMO) but it works.

Basically a boatload of potassium

norris21

Awards
Im taking stano-drol to help recomp and my hamstrings cramp up every time I do sprints for cardio. I drink at least a gallon of water a day, roughly a third of that is G2 gatorade mix. not sure if its the stano drol causing them but I sure would like to stop keeling over on the track!!

bringbacon

Awards
Try putting trace minerals in your water for cramping if your hydration is out of balance.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
potassium loading will probably get you balanced...