2010 College Football Season

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I think a National Championship is more important for recruiting. I just said I don't think he will run AS MUCH if Auburn is a shoe in for the NC game with a SEC CG victory.
There is no way Auburn will be guaranteed a NCG appearance if they lose to Alabama. Look at it like this, if they lose to Alabama (but already have the West locked up), they will be playing a three loss SEC East team in the SEC Championship. That won't reflect too well in strength of schedule. I'm willing to bet if Oregon, Boise State, and TCU are all undefeated, they will be in front of Auburn. Hell, even Michigan State and Missouri (if they go undefeated) will go to the NCG before Auburn.

I would tell Chizik not to "take it easy".

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
I just noticed Oregon's SOS is the 112th toughest in the country.. That's sick. Auburn is 10th right now. The most suprising is Missouri at the #8 SOS. I had no idea Missouri had played that tough of a schedule.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just noticed Oregon's SOS is the 112th toughest in the country.. That's sick. Auburn is 10th right now. The most suprising is Missouri at the #8 SOS. I had no idea Missouri had played that tough of a schedule.
They haven't. Looking at Missouri's schedule is one way of showing how stupid the BCS's SOS ratings are. For example, a 4-3 Illinois gives the same amount of points as having played a 4-3 Penn State... even though PSU beat Illinois 33-13. Also, Missouri's getting a boost from having played a 5-2 San Diego State... who have Boise State's schedule, minus V-Tech and Oregon State.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/big-12/2010-missouri-tigers-football-schedule.php

Of course, if you buy into Sagarin's nerd fantasy, ultra-complicated, totally clever rating system (which is one of the computer rankings used in the BCS, btw), the Pac-10 have the strongest schedules in college football.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm?loc=interstitialskip

h0other, check out the Billingsly computer rankings, also one of the 6 computer rankings used in the BCS formula:
http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2010/WK_8.htm

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Wow, ya Missouri's schedule is pretty cupcake to me. Something that I don't get is how they can do it based on rankings when the reason alot of the teams Auburn played are ranked lower now is because they lost to Auburn. I'd be curious to see what the rankings would look like with ZERO pre-season Bias.

They haven't. Looking at Missouri's schedule is one way of showing how stupid the BCS's SOS ratings are. For example, a 4-3 Illinois gives the same amount of points as having played a 4-3 Penn State... even though PSU beat the Illinois 33-13. Also, Missouri's getting a boost from having played a 5-2 San Diego State... who have Boise State's schedule, minus V-Tech and Oregon State.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/big-12/2010-missouri-tigers-football-schedule.php

Of course, if you buy into Sagarin's nerd fantasy, ultra-complicated, totally clever rating system (which is one of the computer rankings used in the BCS, btw), the Pac-10 have the strongest schedules in college football.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm?loc=interstitialskip

h0other, check out the Billingsly computer rankings, also one of the 6 computer rankings used in the BCS formula:
http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2010/WK_8.htm

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, ya Missouri's schedule is pretty cupcake to me. Something that I don't get is how they can do it based on rankings when the reason alot of the teams Auburn played are ranked lower now is because they lost to Auburn. I'd be curious to see what the rankings would look like with ZERO pre-season Bias.
Some of the computers do it that way, and others just look strictly at W-L %. Meaning that if McNeese State has an 8-4 year, they look pretty good on the schedule... better than a 7-5 Georgia or Ole Miss, for example. Both systems are equally dumb.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Finebaum is officially in <3 with Cam Newton... this is GREAT.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Remember how sick of Mark Ingram you were last season? Well, imagine if he had 16 more teeth, and celebrated his own hype up in the stands after all his teammates have gone into the locker room. He's a great player, but he loves him some him.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
I agree.. I told Emily numerous times that I was annoyed how much he played off the crowd. The thing is -- he looked dead in the first half emotionally but when he started playing to the fans then you started seeing the magic. I think he uses it to build his adrenaline up for these big plays. Could I live without the kisses and everything? Hell yah.. But I'll blow kisses right back if he keeps doing what he's doing. I still would rather have a player blow kisses up to HIS fans in the stands than make obscene gestures (blowing a SHH) at the opponents fans. You have to agree with that.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I still would rather have a player blow kisses up to HIS fans in the stands than make obscene gestures (blowing a SHH) at the opponents fans. You have to agree with that.
:lol: at obscene.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most brutal hit I've seen at the college level so far this season. UT player was losing his footing when Milliner got off his block. Ouch.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Damn thats about as helmet to helmet as you get.. That was a sick hit.

Most brutal hit I've seen at the college level so far this season. UT player was losing his footing when Milliner got off his block. Ouch.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn thats about as helmet to helmet as you get.. That was a sick hit.
Milliner was coming off his block and definitely wasn't aiming for the head, but the UT player's feet slipped and he was falling backward simultaneously. If you look closely, it was mostly in the upper shoulder, but caught some facemask. The Tennessee player said it was a clean hit, and that his shoulder and whole arm went numb for the rest of the game.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Just saying it looks like helmets collided. Not saying it was intentional.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just saying it looks like helmets collided. Not saying it was intentional.
Nah, I didn't take it that way. When it happened, I thought it was 100% helmet to helmet, and I couldn't figure out why the guy was holding his arm.

Dooley's in trouble up in Knoxville. Thing is, the last thing they can afford to do is go through another hiring process. That program has been decimated by the Kiffin ordeal. They aren't gonna be much better next year either. No depth.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
From all the fans who have called into Finebaum, they still have alot of hope for him. He just has zero talent. He inherited a depleted roster (aka Auburn last year but worse) .. only difference is that TN's future isn't looking much brighter either. I think he made poor hirings.. Auburn lucked out by hiring a great OC that meshed well w/the talent in place. Then they got the PERFECT QB to run that system and now you have what you see. They are still doing this with a somewhat depleted roster on the offensive side of the ball. Dooley will get at a minimum 2 more years to turn this team around though.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
plenny's probably drowning himself in Old Milwaukee right now, watching the Cowboys fall to 1-5. :laugh:

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Season is over.. no Romo.. 1-5... DONE. They should get Leinart to come there. He matches what being the Dallas QB entails and he isn't doing anything but sitting 3rd string in Houston.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does Tony Barnhart have a syndicated radio show out in SEC country? He'd be a much better alternative to Finebaum.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Yeah.. he goes on Finebaum every week too. Finebaum really is addicting just because the calls are so ridiculous. It's like a verbal version of our typing arguments except even more ridiculous and off the wall.

tattedsailor

tattedsailor

Awards
He mentions auburn has 13 fewer wins over the last 5 seasons. Since when are the rankings a cumulative over a several year time frame? And if Boise played an sec schedule they'd easily have 15-20 more losses over that same time frame. If 2 teams go undefeated playing an obviously tougher schedule then there is no arguement for Boise to get in. How would they justify keeping out an undefeated auburn, Oregon, Missouri?

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
That is ridiculous... I just dont see how it takes a rocket scientist to see that you are NOT going to get the same caliber players to come to BOISE IDAHO and play against retards every week in a 45k seat stadium and play with buffalos the rest of the weekend than you are going to a SEC school with beautiful women/big stadiums/better academics/better facilities. Can you really tell me the 50th ranked recruiting class every year beats down the top 5 recruiting classes? If so then Scout/Rivals/ESPN Top 100 all need to go in the toilet.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
That is ridiculous... I just dont see how it takes a rocket scientist to see that you are NOT going to get the same caliber players to come to BOISE IDAHO and play against retards every week in a 45k seat stadium and play with buffalos the rest of the weekend than you are going to a SEC school with beautiful women/big stadiums/better academics/better facilities. Can you really tell me the 50th ranked recruiting class every year beats down the top 5 recruiting classes? If so then Scout/Rivals/ESPN Top 100 all need to go in the toilet.
Sure Boise can get up for one or two games a season. Then they revert back to FCS world. Part of me almost wants them to get to the NCG and get rocked. Part of me wants more of this:

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
hah.. Anyone can beat anyone for 1 game.. that was a MEAN punch.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else hope that Boise takes it in the tail pipe tonight so we don't have to listen to anything about them anymore?

tattedsailor

tattedsailor

Awards
It was also a cheap shot. Anyone can knock someone out who isn't looking and their mouth is wide open. I can understand Boise getting to the NC game if they're the only undefeated team but God help us if they actually win. I hope if they get there, whoever plays them doesn't take them lightly and destroys them just so ESPN can pull their blue **** outta their mouth.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone else hope that Boise takes it in the tail pipe tonight so we don't have to listen to anything about them anymore?
Boise's gonna romp tonight. The only two games left on their schedule where they won't be 30+ point favorites are against Hawaii and Nevada.

When I really think about it, I don't hate Boise State. In fact, I've been waiting for their coach, Chris Peterson, to say something arrogant over the last few years... or something critical about the BCS... just so I could hate on them with a vengeance. But he hasn't. He's been gracious and humble, and the guy just prepares his team to win games. Not to say his damn won't burst if they get held out this season.

It's the media... especially ESPN... that I loathe. Like tattedsailor said, ESPN has been giving a 3-year blowjob to a big, blue penis. They have an agenda: Piss off people in the south and the midwest, the fans who take ownership of college football, and who have maintained the traditional powers. Angering them with this Boise mess will certainly cause a BCS uproar, and at the same time, allow for an opportunity for ESPN to cash in on this blue cash cow they've created. 2010 is the payoff year for ESPN, as the following article supports:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/10/25/1223993/move-to-the-moutaintain-west-will.html

Boise returned 23 of 24 starters from last season's Fiesta Bowl. Most of them will be gone next year. They will also move to the Mountain West, where TCU, BYU, and Air Force will be mainstays on their schedule. ESPN doesn't have a contract with the Mountain West (yet), so...

This is E$PN's payoff season.

The funny thing is, if TCU gets past Utah, and Oregon/Auburn/Missouri all drop a game... it'll be the Horned Frogs who get the invite to Glendale. And I'll guarantee you: that just won't be enough to satisfy E$PN... and we all know why.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
I'll boycot the NC game if TCU OR Boise make it. To me it's like a minor league team playing for the world series because they are so dominant in the minor league. Its two completely different games. That blue field is a joke too. If you want people to respect you, even somewhat... Change your field. They try to make it like an arena league or something.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Danny Sheridan: "If the Iron Bowl were played today, the Tide would be a 5 1/2-point favorite. Because of the stark contrast of Auburn's play at home vs. on the road so far this year. This is not a prediction, just a projected early betting line."

Interesting.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
All the people who have came in Finebaum have ranged from a pick-em to an Auburn 3 point favorite. That's including Cecil Hurt. I'd probably make it a pick-em personally. I want to say Auburn should get points but when I think about it it's just so hard to think about Cam losing in Auburn since I've never seen it yet.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's gonna be a great game. Maybe even epic. Too much pride and passion on the line for it not to be.

For the record, I'm actually a little shocked at Sheridan's perspective.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Yeah.. two VERY contradicting styles of football. Basically opposite ends of the spectrum other than both teams relying heavily on the run game.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was reading today that it will absolutely eclipse the SEC Championship Game (in terms of meaning and money), which has been the highest-selling SEC ticket the past two seasons. It's awesome to see the Iron Bowl get this kind of attention.

101,000+ will definitely set a new attendance record.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Yeah ... want to know the worst part of this whole situation? I don't think I am going to be able to get off work that day. Might be quitting my job the day before lol.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah ... want to know the worst part of this whole situation? I don't think I am going to be able to get off work that day. Might be quitting my job the day before lol.
Dude, you're 25 and single, and you don't care for that gig anyway... so tell them to eat a big, blue Boise schlong. :lol:

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Have a huuuuuuuuuuge job interview November the 5th. That will be a life-changer if I get it. If not, I dunno what I'm going to do but I can guarantee you I'm not missing that game. Not without casualties at least.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More Boise lulz over at sbnation.com

Bye week is a tougher opponent than New Mexico State
"So Boise State beats a team by 59 points (NMSU) and falls in the poll. They don't play anyone and they stay where they are. Transitive property: WAC games are easier than bye weeks."

:lol:

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
I was reading today that it will absolutely eclipse the SEC Championship Game (in terms of meaning and money), which has been the highest-selling SEC ticket the past two seasons. It's awesome to see the Iron Bowl get this kind of attention.

101,000+ will definitely set a new attendance record.
I guess redneck's have nothing better to do. Im still waiting for the day when an SEC team is "forced " to play up north at the end of the season...brrrrrrr!!!:bs2:

tattedsailor

tattedsailor

Awards
This game is so boring, why would anyone want to see them in the NC game?

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
They are NOT impressive.. I'd be willing to bet Auburn/Alabama would beat them by 24+ points.. They'd probably be favored by 14

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Boise's biggest wins are over a team who lost to James Madison, and a 3-3 Pac-10 team. Their biggest game left is to a team who lost to Hawaii. Enough said.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
It's not even that.. from a visual perspective.. they just look like a good WAC team. I'd say in the SEC they'd be in the 10-12 range.

You cant expect to have the 60-90th ranked recruiting classes every year and compete week in and week out with SEC schools.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not even that.. from a visual perspective.. they just look like a good WAC team. I'd say in the SEC they'd be in the 10-12 range.

You cant expect to have the 60-90th ranked recruiting classes every year and compete week in and week out with SEC schools.
Tell that to your boy, Herbstreit. On Sunday, he was lobbying for Boise to be ranked over Auburn.

tattedsailor

tattedsailor

Awards
How could anyone ever justify ranking an undefeated WACK team over an undefeated SEC team? Auburn just beat the #6 team in the country, BSU just beat La Tech...its not even a debate!