Road to Derby Cup Championships (Lizking’s 1st meet)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Hehe - understand that. I'm just b!tchin (want my new toys)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Got a call today coincidentally enough. Turns out they'd been waiting on the wrist wraps. Belt is shipping today - sweet!!!!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
And now for another infrequent update ;) When I'm at home, our laptop is primarily for my wife's work, or for watching Netflix on, so I'm usually updating at work...

Snow day yesterday – 8th one this year for my wife (works in a school), only 2nd for me, so I stayed home, rested, & cooked tons of food – eggs & steel cut oats for breakfast, homemade bread/French toast with nuts & berries, tuna salad, beef keema (thanks elitefts – that recipe is super easy & pretty good), quinoa, protein bites, more fresh baked bread, pinto beans – we should be set for a couple days…

Everything seems to be cruising along nicely. Only concern is possibly weighing in over 198 – I’ve been holding 202, dipped under 198 only once the last couple weeks… Gotta keep diet in check, possibly throw in a little conditioning work to keep me moving. Feeling much more comfortable benching – butt lift is almost gone, only if I’m getting really gassed out, i.e. last rep of heavy set. Had a DL ephinany – maybe for the first time, everything felt a-ok. The weight popped off the floor. I was locking out reps at 315, feeling like it was a warm up (granted by the end of 360 I was huffing & puffing).

Belt should be arriving tomorrow! The wrist wraps… not so sure, but at least I can get to work breaking that belt in.

I’ve only talked to a couple of my friends about this comp & they all have given the craziest looks when I tell them why I’m not going out & drinking, etc, the next couple weeks. But on a lighter note - turns out, this meet is being held at a gym owned by a friend of a friend -

2/1/14
OHP – 115x5, 135x5, 150x7

Superset – 5x10
Incline - 120lbs
Chins – 15lbs

Superset – 3x10
DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Rear DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Wide Grip Pulldown – 60x20, 70x20, 80x20

-----------

2/2/14
Deadlift – 275x5, 315x5, 360x7

Superset – 5 sets
Front Squat - 205x5, 185x5 – 4 sets
Good Morning – 185x5

5 Sets
Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head
Standing Cable Crunch – 50lbs

------

2/4/14
Bench – 180x5, 205x5, 230x7

Superset – 5x10
Bench - 180lbs, 175, 165, 165, 165
Kroc Row – 75lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 135x10, 135x10

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Found a sweet sale on a video camera - set it up on a tripod, ready to film my bench today. Took it off the charger & got 1 set out before the battery went... yeah so much for taping :frustrate I've gotta figure out a way to get my phone positioned to film. It's an s3 mini (bad quality phone - so much for free upgrade) - can't find a way to get it to stand up worth a sh!t, since it's all rounded & falls every which way, unlike my s2 that was basically a block. Maybe I can rig a little vise or a clamp or something...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I like how some cases have a little kick stand on the back they never think to put one on the front somehow for filming stuff

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I like how some cases have a little kick stand on the back they never think to put one on the front somehow for filming stuff
Hehehe - right! My new phone just falls sideways - maybe I can use a weak clamp or something to make a psuedo holder for it. Ive gotta put my money where my mouth is...keep saying I'm gonna post vids....

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Getting back in the swing of it now - we were supposed to get all sorts of winter weather last night. We did get a bit of freezing rain/snow yesterday afternoon, but temps stayed over freezing all night & just basically rained. I was hoping to have a day at home - hit some extra conditioning & mobility work, but no.... Slept like a rock most of the night, but woke up at 4am & couldn't go back to sleep.

Despite my weird sleep, squats felt pretty good this morning. That last set took it out of me though. I didn't think I was going to be able to finish out my accessory squats at 185. Read about doing a few (5-10) bodyweight split squats between sets - tried that today & it seemed (at least mentally) to give me a little extra stability at the bottom. Also - "spread the floor" finally clicked in my head today.

Squat – 215x5, 245x5, 280x7

Superset
Squat - 195x10, 185x4x10
Lying Leg Curl – 85x5x10

SLDL – 205x3x10

I keep going between being anxious/excited for the meet & sorta nervous that I'm just gonna choke & miss all the lifts - confidence, eh?...

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lean your phone against a water bottle.

Nice squats.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Lean your phone against a water bottle.

Nice squats.
Thanks man- work in progress... I'm pretty confident in my bench and dead, but squat has always been my weak spot.

Yeah the lean has worked before... this phone is all sorta oblong and rounded. Doesn't help that the case is slick too...

Although I'm an idiot-fighting with this phone... I'm sitting here looking at my ipod touch on my desk - it has a camera too (duh...lol)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey man, once you get that first squat in you will feel better!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Thanks guys! I hope so. I've played live music enough & fire shows that stage fright isn't really an issue - just performance anxiety I guess...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Just got my belt from UPS today! Possible issue - granted its brand new amd not broken in yet, but I'm at the last notch. It seems to fit ok but there's no way I could go even one notch tighter currently. Ordered medium received medium but it seems a little on the small side. Should I keep it or send back for a large (and wait another month)?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dunno what to tell you, especially since it'll take you just as long to get a new one.

Worse case scenario-plenty of people will buy a somewhat used belt online.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I had read Dave Tate mention something about loosening the belt one notch when working on squats - that's what got me thinking I might've went too small, since I was at the last notch. As I keep messing with it, I am able to get the 2nd notch without issue

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's a prong belt? If so, then yes, breaking it in will definitely help you to get it tighter. There's an EFS article on breaking in your belt, too, if you haven't already seen it. With your meet coming up soon, it's a good idea to work the crap out of it now to get it broken in. It took me quite awhile to break my 13mm in. I'm talking months.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
It's a prong belt? If so, then yes, breaking it in will definitely help you to get it tighter. There's an EFS article on breaking in your belt, too, if you haven't already seen it. With your meet coming up soon, it's a good idea to work the crap out of it now to get it broken in. It took me quite awhile to break my 13mm in. I'm talking months.
Yes - single prong Inzer Forever 10mm. I've read that & currently working on it (wait until it's not all snowy to run it over with the car ..lol) I was looking at all the holes in it & being on the last one, got me thinking maybe I should've gone next size up. Just getting ahead of myself.

Learning as I go - Thanks guys -

napalm

napalm

Awards
Sweet, let us know how you like the 10 mm. I hated my 13 mm, then went and got the 6.5 EFS one. The 10 mm intrigues me...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Oh jeez - I just got booked for a drum performance this weekend by the main theatre in town - it's a Hawaiian themed lobster dinner/fundraiser. Guess who gets to play drums rocking a grass skirt & spray tan?.... (I knew there had to be a reason they're paying so well for this gig)

napalm

napalm

Awards
Oh jeez - I just got booked for a drum performance this weekend by the main theatre in town - it's a Hawaiian themed lobster dinner/fundraiser. Guess who gets to play drums rocking a grass skirt & spray tan?.... (I knew there had to be a reason they're paying so well for this gig)
Pics or it never happened.

Spray tan? Da fuq, you a bb'r now?

:biglaugh:

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
hehehe... I've been laughing since I received the info. Oh yeah - I'm sure there will be pics.

At least I get to take part in the lobster feast -

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may be in the minority but I never artificially break in a belt. I just wear it, even my stiff ass 13 mm Inzer lever.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may be in the minority but I never artificially break in a belt. I just wear it, even my stiff ass 13 mm Inzer lever.
I think this a good idea. Just sucks you didn't have time to break it in before the meet. How long do you have?

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I've been rolling it up back and forth when sitting around - just a few passes loosened ir up some already

The meet the is 2/22

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Deads today- vids coming. Just couldn't find a groove with the belt...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3JPB1m2C5Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tear it up- I'm sure there's plenty for me to work on...

Having trouble getting the last full set uploaded. Anyway that set pissed me off so I tightened the belt one more notch and just went for one more rep for this vid. Mentally was all over between the belt, video, getting used to the singlet. Eh...always another day I guess

I was going between having the buckle dig into my lower lap or it would want to ride up my back as I got in place.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like you could have had a better start position, still some lumbar flexion after you setup. Your shoulders then go in front of the bar as your hips rise without corresponding bar movement, I'd either use more leg drive or keep the hips high to avoid the wasted movement.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Much better IMO.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree the second was better start position. I think you need to get in the habit of taking and obnoxious breath with your mouth into the belt(in the back as well as front) right before you grab the bar, and then once you grab it, use it to pull yourself into position, and once you are there go. Bar speed was good and you definitely have more in the tank. Just a little bit of tweaks and some more authority at the start. Nice work brother.

And you and Bolt are making me kind of Jelly I don't have the great long hair I once had! Haha

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I agree the second was better start position. I think you need to get in the habit of taking and obnoxious breath with your mouth into the belt(in the back as well as front) right before you grab the bar, and then once you grab it, use it to pull yourself into position, and once you are there go. Bar speed was good and you definitely have more in the tank. Just a little bit of tweaks and some more authority at the start. Nice work brother.

And you and Bolt are making me kind of Jelly I don't have the great long hair I once had! Haha
Hehe-I lose all my strength if I cut it...lol

The second vid was 205 (end of my workout-just practicing setting up). I will definitely be working on breathing into the belt. I feel like some of my issue today might work itself out as i get used to the belt.

I could definitely feel the difference in my lumbar and besides being lighter weight, felt an extra pop off the floor

The main set (vid screwing up uploading) the belt kept shifting as I went down to the bar. The last rep i got frustrated and just ditched the belt. Then went back and filmed the first vid I posted.

I know I didn't get that skinnier but by the end of today's session I was able to latch it with ease several notches in.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Here we go.... luckily the theatre had shirts so I dodged the spray tan.

ForumRunner_20140208_170419.png

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
oh baby... you can feast on my lobster anytime wearing that!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Oh yeah.....

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Full numbers update from the weekend:

2/7/14 – tough day, broken sleep, bad food choices the day before (or just lack of food…), kinda hungover - not hardcore, just gotta kill the booze for a couple weeks, as recovery is noticeably hampered…

OHP – 125x3, 145x3, 160x3

Superset – 5x10
Incline - 120lbs
Chins – 15lbs

Superset – 3x10
DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Rear DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Wide Grip Pulldown – 70x20, 70x20, 70x20

-----------

2/8/14 – touched on this already – getting used to the belt, squirrely session – working on removing excess/unnecessary motion from setup. Nailed front squats – starting to get the feel of breathing into the belt for squats, I’ll see how that turns out with my next squat session

Deadlift – 300x3, 335x3, 380x4, 380x1

Superset – 5 sets
Front Squat - 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 185x5, 185x5
Good Morning – 185x5x5

5 Sets
Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head
Standing Cable Crunch – 50lbs

------

2/10/14
Bench – 190x3, 220x53, 245x5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UGCwZbLO7k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Superset – 5x10
Bench - 165lbs – 2ct pause at bottom
Kroc Row – 75lbs

BB Row Underhand – 135x12, 135x12, 135x12

Wide cable pulldown – 70x25
DB overhead tri extension – 55x20

First bench session with wrist wraps – 1st observation: wait to tighten those bad boys until I’m ready to go… 2nd: definite increase in stability. I was mentally a little more focused on the wraps today than need be, at the expense of leg drive. However, getting the butt lift worked out. Accessory bench: paused at the bottom to change things up in my head, as I’m a bit concerned with jumping the press command in the meet just out of habit – Granted, come meet day I don’t want to linger too long at the bottom.

Thanks y'all!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Update on the grass skirt incident Saturday - alls well that ends well i guess - this dinner was huge (@800 in attendance). The highlight, besides my swanky attire: the mayor came up and fist-bumped me while I was playing...lol

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Squat – 230x3, 260x3, 295x5

Superset 5x10
Squat - 185
Lying Leg Curl – 85

SLDL – 205x3x10

260x3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1onNaFSQrg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

295x5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SomsjhoU0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Weighed in 198 today - good sign, creeping back into my desired weight class, as I've been tipping the scales @205 the last couple weeks. Squats felt decent, although I can see in the vid that my butt is shooting up before the bar starts moving. The belt was much easier to adjust to today than for deads. On the last set, my wife popped in mid-set. I felt like I had the gas for at least one more rep, but focus was breaking down fast (started going forward more & more), so I racked it. I usually squat down to the box, but have been trying to remember to remove it for the heavy sets, but forgot about it for the 260. Angle kinda sucks for seeing depth - gotta find a better spot to vid squats from...

Thanks y'all -

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Update on the grass skirt incident Saturday - alls well that ends well i guess - this dinner was huge (@800 in attendance). The highlight, besides my swanky attire: the mayor came up and fist-bumped me while I was playing...lol
That's awesome. That's a pretty serious gig man haha

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good couple sessions. Strong pressing. I agree with your assessment. You have to focus on not collapsing on the squats. When you get to a max weight that will turtle you. Speed was fast though.

napalm

napalm

Awards
To me, it looks like some lower back and core work is needed to keep that back more upright. Gotta focus on keeping that chest up brother. Like Robbie said, when the weight gets heavy, you'll get stapled.

Me speaks from experience (getting stapled)...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get some over arch anyways before you dead, when you pull the weight it will even you out. I probably sit as much as you if not more, so I feel your pain. It sucks. chair in my room, chairs in class, etc. And they aren't even comfy.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the bar placement is subjective. What I notice that would throw me off in your set up is I feel your feet should be further forward a couple inches before the unrack. It looks like when you lift out you are already compromised with leaning forward a little. Once you unrack with a lean at heavy weights it is impossible to fix IMO. That and some more strength in the core. I could be 100% wrong, but that is just how I would feel, personally. If you watch close it looks like you try to correct this right before the decent.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squeeze the glutes and core before you drop into the hole! HA!