Road to Derby Cup Championships (Lizking’s 1st meet)

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you cannot get the X-Gels refunded by that shady retailer, let me know and I'll tell you how to dose the old batch.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
If you cannot get the X-Gels refunded by that shady retailer, let me know and I'll tell you how to dose the old batch.
Cool thanks - hopefully I can, wouldn't be surprised if I get stuck with the open bottle. I remember reading something like 10 instead of 4 caps?....

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Getting ready for sqwatz this morning, followed by conditioning I really enjoy - getting out in the forest & hiking to the top of the highest hill - find the next highest & repeat (my avi pic is from one of these hikes).

Numbers from yesterday's benching - after New Years (& before deciding on this meet) had a couple sh!tty workouts in a row, so, feeling dejected one day, I decided to back down the weight to see if I was overreaching or just a couple bad days. I'm definitely certain it was just the holidays getting to me & I'm still good to go - just getting some extra volume these last couple workouts.

Butt lift has always been my trouble spot benching and thanks to bolt10 - i read something he said about contracting the glutes hard setting up to bench, as a way to help keep the butt down - that seems to be the missing link I was looking for - no lift at all today & much much better leg drive, I felt

weight - 197
Bench – 170x5, 195x5, 220x11

Superset 5 sets of 10
Kroc Rows – 60lbs – 5x12
Bench – 170lbs – 5x10

BB Row (overhand grip) - 135x10, 145x10, 155x10

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Numbers from yesterdays squats -

weight - 195

Squat -195x5, 225x5, 255x10

Supersets
Front Squats - 205x4, 205x4, 205x4, 205x2, 195x3
Leg Curls - 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 80x10

SLDL - 185x10, 195x10, 205x10

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff man. Just thought-you might be able to pick your openers out based on your third set of your 531 week.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Bloody Marys make great hydration (yesterday's hike not this morning's breakfast) ;)

ForumRunner_20140113_083635.png

my phone loves posting pics sideways.....

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Good stuff man. Just thought-you might be able to pick your openers out based on your third set of your 531 week.

Cool - thanks. I was thinking maybe open with or near the weight for 1's set, 2nd go for a PR, 3rd - aim for my theoretical 1RM?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool - thanks. I was thinking maybe open with or near the weight for 1's set, 2nd go for a PR, 3rd - aim for my theoretical 1RM?
Sounds good. You can judge where you stand on that 1's week.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I was thinking my best target for my first meet is to hit my on-paper 1RM. Worry about bigger numbers once I actually get some set on paper

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Open 2-3 rep max you can nail. 2nd hit a PR/max on paper. 3rd hit a big number

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/page.asp?contentID=135

It is hard to always determine going in for your first competition (it was hard for me even in my second because all my previous maxes had become openers lol), but that gives you a good idea. I like the idea of hitting an opener with what you have actually hit for an easy triple. In your case I think a solid bump on the second would be a good choice so you can make a solid 3rd attempt at or just above your theoretical 1rm. We don't want to jump too much on the second and screw over chances of hitting our third. :)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Thanks for the link bolt - yeah the 2nd/3rd attempts - I'm leaning towards being a bit conservative on them, as the theoretical 1RM feels like a big jump for a second attempt

Random question - preworkouts & meet day - what do you guys do?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just something caffeinated and Gatorade. Bring something to snack on that's easy on the stomach. My go-to was cliff bars.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Just something caffeinated and Gatorade. Bring something to snack on that's easy on the stomach. My go-to was cliff bars.
OK great - I figured I was overthinking it (crashing midway thru the day from too much PWO early, banned stims, etc)

Cliff bars are great - those are always in my bag when hiking. The wife once unknowingly picked up some that had caffeine in them...didn't know such things existed

BTW - speaking of the wife - she seems to be digging the idea of me competing in this meet - :07: :hump: :thumbsup:

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I'm getting antsy to get my belt/wrist wraps - HOP still say "processing".... (they did say 1-2 week backorder on Inzer - it's only been 7 days, but still...)

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually eat a small cereal breakfast before lifting, and some protein.

Sip on Focus XT, 2-3 scoops, for the whole day. Gatorade as well. Usually have a piece of fruit and a clif or protein bar after each flight, in the downtime before my warmups.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually eat a small cereal breakfast before lifting, and some protein.

Sip on Focus XT, 2-3 scoops, for the whole day. Gatorade as well. Usually have a piece of fruit and a clif or protein bar after each flight, in the downtime before my warmups.
This is similar to my approach. I really didn't use much for my second competition as I got a little too amped with all the adrenaline and pre-workout in my first. I did eat a quest bar or shake in between each flight and sipped on some gatorade throughout as well.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is similar to my approach. I really didn't use much for my second competition as I got a little too amped with all the adrenaline and pre-workout in my first. I did eat a quest bar or shake in between each flight and sipped on some gatorade throughout as well.
Oh ya, I also snap an ammonia cap on my 3rd squat and 3rd deadlift.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the link bolt - yeah the 2nd/3rd attempts - I'm leaning towards being a bit conservative on them, as the theoretical 1RM feels like a big jump for a second attempt

The second jump is a big jump but you should know you can hit it. Herder and napalm really helped me pick out mine so I would talk to them more about this.

I eat a solid breakfast and then a snack like a clif bar like the guys have been saying and I chug water and drink a Gatorade throughout as well slowly. I was pissing every 30 minutes but felt great. Depends what time lifting starting for what you should eat too. I wake up and eat then back to bed then up again for light meal but that's just me.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
That works - I've got a jug of CF Focus XT at home - Add a couple cliff bars, gatorade, cup of coffee - good to go.

Yeah - the ammonia is tempting, but that's one I think I'll leave out until a later meet -

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That works - I've got a jug of CF Focus XT at home - Add a couple cliff bars, gatorade, cup of coffee - good to go.

Yeah - the ammonia is tempting, but that's one I think I'll leave out until a later meet -
I'd agree, or if you want to use it, try it in training on ME lifts a few times so you know exactly what to expect. That's what I did before my first meet, and it worked fine.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Finally remembered to grab my logbook – here’s some numbers for this week. I moved bench up a day, as I play music & picked up a gig tonight. I’ll just have a rest day between bench & squat. Still waiting on my belt/wrist wraps. HOP said that Inzer’s backed up & I should expect it to ship in a couple days…. I hope… Finally got myself some chalk – d@mn that made a noticeable difference on deads.

1/14/14 – pm - 198
OHP – 115x5, 130x5, 150x7

Superset – 5x10
Incline @65% - 115lbs
Chins – 12.5lbs

Superset – 3x10
DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Rear DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Wide Grip Pulldown – 60, 70, 80lbs

-----------

1/15/14 – am - 195
Deadlift – 270x5, 310x5, 350x9

Superset
Sumo DL @65% - 5x8
Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head – 5x10
Standing Cable Crunch – 5x10

Good Morning – 135lbs – 3x10

-----------

1/16/14 – pm - 196
Bench – 175x5, 200x5, 230x8

Superset – 5x10
Bench @65% - 175lbs
Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 145x10, 155x10

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Nice work

Some good bench pressin
Thanks man! Trying to pick up where I let things slack off around the holidays. Lo & behold - Finally starting to find my leg drive!

napalm

napalm

Awards

fwiw, this has served my pretty good as far as picking attempts:

opener - 85-87% depending on bar speed in warmups
2nd - 92.5
3rd - the number you trained for - you did train for a number didn't you? this can obv go up depending on bar speed of 2nd.

i take no credit for this, it's actually wendler's, but i've had success w it. so have a couple other guys here.

as far as meet day, it's highly individual and depends on whether it was a 24 hour weigh in or not. if it's a 24 hour weigh in - meaning you've already made weight the day before, you should have already replenished yourself. meet day i typically eat met-rx bars all day. my body is used to it and i don't walk around feeling full all day. i actually brought two boxes of met-rx bars to worlds with me. i drink water all day, some guys drink gatorade or a mixture of the two...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just to add to what Napalm said some, as far as preworkouts, I personally like a stimulant boost in the AM and then right before deadlifts as I feel a little worn out sitting through the benching(lots of bench only people making it the longest lift). Just go by preference. First meet I did Uncut before and enhanced before deads, second one I did a VPX bang in the AM and a shot of brain candy before deads. Just use stuff you like if you feel you need it.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Still waiting on my belt & wraps - any friggin day now....

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Inzer can suck sometimes. It took over a month for mine because I got a different colored one.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Inzer can suck sometimes. It took over a month for mine because I got a different colored one.
yeah - kinda sucks.... I ordered the belt, wrist wraps, & gloves (for my wife) from HOP - turned out, they didn't have singlets in stock, so ended up ordering from that from Inzer - I got the singlet in 4 days.... It's officially 2weeks from order date, so can't really b!tch too much yet. I'm just anxious to get my gear!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Sidenote: Proud of the wife- She was benching this weekend - she asked for a spot on her personal best of 90lbsx1 - gave her a couple setup tips & nailed 100lbs x1 - a 10lbs PR!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Pardon my logbook truancy – because my basement is so far from my computer…. :bs2:

Squats were tough this week. Went out over the weekend, had a few drinks with friends & slept very poorly all weekend – come Sunday when it was time to squat, it showed.

I’ve been logging my calories (albeit rather loosely) aiming 3000 – given my knack for going over, I’m bumping that down a little. I keep tipping the scale over into the 200’s & I really wanna stay in 198 for this meet. I’m been upping my conditioning a little recently, & come February 1st I’m cutting alcohol & crap food. I’ve got the X-Gels going PWO supported by ALCAR & GMS (Glycergrow 2 scoops/Hemavol 1 scoop) & just started Anabeta Elite. Given all that, I’m not really concerned, just a consideration to keep an eye out & not let my cals get too out of hand.

Despite OHP just last night, having dinner with the wife’s family tonight, so I had to get my deadlifts in this morning. Not too bad, felt like I could’ve had a 6th, but had a bit of doubt if my form would hold up, so I left it.

1/18/14 – 5’s
Squat – 205x5, 240x5, 270x6

Superset
Front Squat 205x4, 205x4, 205x4, 205x3, 185x5
Lying Leg Curl – 5 sets 90x10

SLDL – 185x10, 205x10, 225x10

----------

1/20/14 – pm - 204
OHP – 120x3, 140x3, 155x6

Superset – 5x10
Incline - 115lbs
Chins – 12.5lbs – 3 sets, 17.5lbs - 2 sets

Superset – 3x10
DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Wide Grip Pulldown – 60x20, 70x20, 80x20

-----------

1/21/14 – am - 202
Deadlift – 290x3, 330x3, 370x5

Superset – 5 sets
Sumo DL - 290x5
Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head
Standing Cable Crunch – 50lbs

Good Morning – 135x10, 155x10, 175x10

Pull Downs – 60x30, 50x25 – Random addition: felt like sweating still, but didn’t feel like getting on the treadmill

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Looks like some good workouts

Man u are going to be crushing the weight soon with that stack Abe is a great product imo I always took it with Erase pro have yet to try X gels maybe when I get back to work

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Looks like some good workouts

Man u are going to be crushing the weight soon with that stack Abe is a great product imo I always took it with Erase pro have yet to try X gels maybe when I get back to work
Thanks man! yeah ABE and original Anabeta are both good stuff. They always give me a bit more appetite that in turn gives me a of a strength boost & all day pump feeling. I'll be throwing Erase in the mix after this meet, to help me cut up as I get ready for vacation - the wife got a groupon deal for 5 nights in St Lucia :saroll:

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
That's awesome

I live in Michigan and the farthest place I've been is Chicago for a whole 6hrs then came home I really need to get out and see the world or at least more then 4 States that border each other lol

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
That's awesome

I live in Michigan and the farthest place I've been is Chicago for a whole 6hrs then came home I really need to get out and see the world or at least more then 4 States that border each other lol
Hey not too far away - I live in Lousville now, but grew up in Indy & would go to Michigan for family trips sometimes. Yeah - I can't recommend enough getting out & seeing as much as you can of the world. Going on vacations are awesome obviously, but, like for instance I was lucky enough to get sent to Louisville's sister city in Russia (Perm) - seeing a place I barely knew existed on the other side of the globe - that has definitely stuck with me.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Russia, Japan, Germany and scottland are the four places I'd like to visit before I die but don't see that happening but u never know I never thought I would weight 200 lbs again or DL 400+ so I guess anything is possible in life just got to want it bad enough

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/falling-forward-in-the-squat/

Bam! Now let's see if I can get my sh!tty squat together... I'm good morninging(?) the sh!t out of my heavy sets lately. Definitely need to remind myself elbows down - I try to grip a bit on the narrow side, as I feel I get my back tighter. The caveat to that I'm picking up on my elbows, triggering some of my forward motion.

something else I was pondering was to add back in calf raises just to get more acquainted with weight on my back, as I've always been able to raise at least what I squat. While I doing them previously, I would do all my squats, then once I topped off go into calf raises with the over weight.

I should be able to get videos soon - my new phone blows, but I did get a cheap gopro knock-off the other day ($35), just waiting on the memory card to show up from amazon

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On the back squat, you can have a narrow grip to really pack those shoulders in, you just have to really focus on externally rotating your elbows under. I also flex my forearms so my wrists aren't hyper-flexed.

I found that Goodmorning-ing squats was just weak quads and being lazy. My squat has gone up a lot since I've stopped.

The X-Gels may help you recomp depending on your cals too.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
On the back squat, you can have a narrow grip to really pack those shoulders in, you just have to really focus on externally rotating your elbows under. I also flex my forearms so my wrists aren't hyper-flexed.

I found that Goodmorning-ing squats was just weak quads and being lazy. My squat has gone up a lot since I've stopped.

The X-Gels may help you recomp depending on your cals too.
OK cool - yeah I definitely see the issue of elbows coming out. While I'm sure my quads could be stronger, I think you hit nail on the head with lazy... It seems like the more I work on it & the lbs go up, the more technical the squat becomes in my mind (& hence any weak links in that chain stand out)

A recomp wouldn't be too bad :) Heck, I'm debating going on a straight up cut after the meet for the couple weeks before vacation - got a few goodies in the stash I've been holding on to...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Bench – 190x3, 215x3, 240x6

Superset – 5x10
Bench - 175lbs
Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 145x10, 155x10

------

Squat – 225x3, 255x3, 285x3, 275x3

Superset - 5x10
Squat 60% - 195x10
Lying Leg Curl – 90x10

Had a strong bench session last week, followed by some pretty crappy squats. First time squatting in my new chucks, bad day on the homefront, and a busy schedule led to my first ever testing of the safety features on my cage… My 4th rep on my heavy set (285), mentally a little shaky down in the bottom & it instantly transferred into the bar. My ass shot up way fast, I got my elbows way out. It went into a good morning & then quickly not…(forward I went into the uprights on the cage). I thought I might’ve even rolled my ankle over in the process, but it was just sore for a day & cleared up. Too funny to me that I’d been reading that elitefts squat link & totally f@cking the lift up in the same week… I guess to look on the bright side, I learned a few things that day really fast... I think I’m going to move front squats over to DL day & just do more squats on squat day (grease the groove)

Time to redeem myself & sweat it out on Overhead Press – today starts a new week…

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Full update with numbers later - sitting at my desk now & my logbook is not...

Deadlift PR - 390x3 - felt like I probably left one in the tank even... Foot still feels kinda funky when trying to move quick (between big toe & ankle), but no discomfort at all lifting. Still waiting on my belt & wrist wraps....

So after the wife hit her PR of 100x1 on bench, she tells me a week later she hit 95x5 - she might be catching the iron bug...

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Deadlift PR - 390x3 - felt like I probably left one in the tank even... Foot still feels kinda funky when trying to move quick (between big toe & ankle), but no discomfort at all lifting. Still waiting on my belt & wrist wraps....

So after the wife hit her PR of 100x1 on bench, she tells me a week later she hit 95x5 - she might be catching the iron bug...
Legit for that whole post. haha

Things seem to be going smoothly in here so just keep grinding man. :thumbsup:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards

Thanks! I'm just trying to stay on course & learn along the way - AM's been a great resource to learn from those moving way more iron than I...

That whole squat debacle last week kinda bruised my precious ego....enough to have me looking forward to squatting Thursday. I caught something in one of these logs about dropping down too quick leading to getting loose - that rang some alarm bells in my head. Not to mention that since my foots been feeling a bit off, I made sure to keep everything way under control during deadlifts this week & walked away with a +2 rep PR & moved up on front squats...hmmm. The last place for my ego is under the bar...

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Numbers update (finally got my log book in front of me). OHP – out of necessity (low ceiling) I’ve always done these seated, but no backrest. I think I’m going to find a way to do these standing – outside, in my garage, something…. I definitely see the benefit in it. Incorporated more rows & cable pulls into this week. Rowing between bench sets was a nice change (was reading about that in Swanson’s log) – my sets felt better overall. I also felt like I sorta redeemed myself after last week’s craptacular squatting. I can’t remember who’s log it was in, but I’ve been trying out those facing the wall BW squats – those are going to hang around a while, as I felt more in tune today with my squat form than I had been in a little while. Getting adjusted to wearing shoes to lift, the chucks aren’t too bad – question though, do you lace the all the way up? Probably just since I haven’t had shoes on for lifting in a while, I’ve been more comfortable leaving the top 1 or 2 holes unlaced – I’m sure I’m just overthinking it

Short version – tripled each day on this 1’s week. Wanted more out of it, but looking at the last couple cycles, I hit 1 for 1’s on last cycle & 2 the one before - progress is progress, so I’ll take it.

X-Gels/ABE/ACLAR - has been a nice stack so far - seems like I'm losing bodyfat, but the scale is stuck on 200. I'll probably give the GMS another week/10days & drop it out before meet time.

Got my memory card for the camera – my next step is working on getting video up

Still waiting on House of Pain/Inzer – ordered 1/6…

1/26/14
OHP – 130x5, 150x3, 165x3

Superset – 5x10
Incline - 120lbs
Chins – 15lbs

Superset – 3x10
DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
Wide Grip Pulldown – 60x20, 70x20, 80x20

-----------

1/27/14
Deadlift – 310x5, 350x3, 390x3

Superset – 5 sets
Front Squat - 205x5
Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head
Standing Cable Crunch – 50lbs

Good Morning – 135x10, 155x10, 175x10

------

1/29/14
Bench – 200x5, 230x3, 255x3

Superset – 5x10
Bench - 175lbs
Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 135x10, 135x10

------

Squat – 240x5, 270x3, 300x3

Superset - 5x10
Squat - 190x10
Lying Leg Curl – 80x10

Thanks for stopping by

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
So yeah... Any day they feel like shipping my belt/wraps - would be nice to have ... jeez ... I paid for gear, not to stare at the eternal "processing" status of my order. I guess the "forever" in the Inzer forever belt is shipping time?

Sorry - had to vent

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Took over a month to get my belt but it was custom so that's to be expected

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Took over a month to get my belt but it was custom so that's to be expected
Didn't get anything custom... Had they not told me 1-2 week b/o when ordered, then told me it would be any day when I emailed last week, I probably wouldn't be too bothered. I was hoping to be able to train with it before this meet, but it looks like I probably won't be able to really use it until after. Oh well...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thats why I hate ordering stuff off the net I'm more of an instant gratification(pay more to get it at the store) person + the the buyers remorse doesn't last as long when u don't have to wait to get it lol