Red Sox 2009

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
It's all subjective.
And the fact is the Cubs/Cards will not be dethroned. :D
Nor the Blues/Blackhawks! :D
Yeah, of course. I mean to my subjective judging.

I look for a lot of mutual distaste with fans, and more importantly players... I'd think Duke / UNC, and Michigan / OSU would be up there for me...

There's not enough rivalries where the players hate eachother anymore. I guess cause they are all rich...

I really dig the whole Joba / Youk beef though. I hope Joba hits him in the chin one of these days.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately T, you know it is not going away any time soon.

The reason baseball gets the black eye is because it is America's pastime, known for good rivalries and fair play. Everyone knows the 300 pound linebacker is juiced to the gills.. no one cares. Baseball players exemplify morals, which is being challenged now, and shown they are on the losing end of their moralistic promises.

I honestly do not care... it will help you drive the ball, but doesnt give you hand eye coordination.
My sentiments exactly. Steroids may help a given player potentiate a given skill, but it's not going to add skill that isn't there already.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
You've got to be kidding me...
Historically yes.... but lately, it's lacking.

Not sure if you've ever been to a Sox / Yanks game, but even Subway Series seem a little more edgy as of late.

And I really cannot even explain the energy at Beaver Stadium for a PSU game VS OSU or Mich... THATS a rivalry.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, of course. I mean to my subjective judging.

I look for a lot of mutual distaste with fans, and more importantly players... I'd think Duke / UNC, and Michigan / OSU would be up there for me...

There's not enough rivalries where the players hate eachother anymore. I guess cause they are all rich...

I really dig the whole Joba / Youk beef though. I hope Joba hits him in the chin one of these days.
College football does have some very good rivalries. The noteable imo are Florida/Georgia, Auburn/Alabama, and Ohio State/Michigan.

In regard to youk and joba: If he does do that, i hope youk breaks him in half...

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
College football does have some very good rivalries. The noteable imo are Florida/Georgia, Auburn/Alabama, and Ohio State/Michigan.

In regard to youk and joba: If he does do that, i hope youk breaks him in half...
Well at least we both want to see it... I'd say A-Rod would tackle him before he gets to the mound... but we both know that sh*t wouldn't happen. :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Historically yes.... but lately, it's lacking.

Not sure if you've ever been to a Sox / Yanks game, but even Subway Series seem a little more edgy as of late.

And I really cannot even explain the energy at Beaver Stadium for a PSU game VS OSU or Mich... THATS a rivalry.
I've probably been to at least 12 yankee/red sox games in my lifetime. The hate has always been overwhelming on every level.

I LOVE it!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well at least we both want to see it... I'd say A-Rod would tackle him before he gets to the mound... but we both know that sh*t wouldn't happen. :lol:
I wonder if he'd be carrying his purse on the way, lol!

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I've probably been to at least 12 yankee/red sox games in my lifetime. The hate has always been overwhelming on every level.

I LOVE it!
It is great...

Maybe it would make my top three... I gotta think on this. For pro sports, it certainly is...

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Obviously,none of you have been to a UNC-dook basketball game either!
Schools are 8 miles apart.

Well known as the BIGGEST rivalry in sports.NO question.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Obviously,none of you have been to a UNC-dook basketball game either!
Schools are 8 miles apart.

Well known as the BIGGEST rivalry in sports.NO question.
I've been to 2 at UNC!

Looooved them... Awesome.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Red Sox picked up Victor Martinez from the Cleveland Indians before the trade deadline ended. GOOD pickup!!! We had to trade away Justin Masterson (who i liked), but the Sox added a dynamic they needed with his bat and catching abilities.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Red Sox picked up Victor Martinez from the Cleveland Indians before the trade deadline ended. GOOD pickup!!! We had to trade away Justin Masterson (who i liked), but the Sox added a dynamic they needed with his bat and catching abilities.
I like the pickup but where is he going to play? Is Youk going to 3rd and Lowell not playing?

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like the pickup but where is he going to play? Is Youk going to 3rd and Lowell not playing?
IMO, he should play ahead of Varitek. I know that's blasphemy in "the nation" but Victor hits for a better average, more HR's and more runs batted in.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the question is, can he call a game the way Varitek can. Its a good pick up none the less

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the question is, can he call a game the way Varitek can. Its a good pick up none the less
Tek certainly has the experience catching the current Sox staff, but Martinez is certainly not deficient in that area. Lest we forget he's caught 2 recent Cy Young winners (Lee and Sabathia).

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Francona likes to rest lowell on occasion. You'll see him sharing some catching duties with Tek, as well as time at 1B and DH.

I'd like to see Martinez (1B), Pedroia (2B), Youkilis (SS), and Lowell (3B). You just may see that on occassion.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tek certainly has the experience catching the current Sox staff, but Martinez is certainly not deficient in that area. Lest we forget he's caught 2 recent Cy Young winners (Lee and Sabathia).
I really don't think that Tek is going to lose his job this year. As of late, he's been playing pretty well. Now granted he's not in the prime of his career, but he's one of (if not the best) catcher at calling a game in the league. Next year i'd look to see Martinez move into that slot as the regular catcher.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Francona likes to rest lowell on occasion. You'll see him sharing some catching duties with Tek, as well as time at 1B and DH.

I'd like to see Martinez (1B), Pedroia (2B), Youkilis (SS), and Lowell (3B). You just may see that on occassion.
That's a helluva potent lineup from an offensive perspective, but does Youk have experience at SS? At 220lbs I'm wondering if he'd be the heaviest SS in MLB. What type of range would he have?

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established

Youkilis playing short? You're on something.

Puff puff pass...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a helluva potent lineup from an offensive perspective, but does Youk have experience at SS? At 220lbs I'm wondering if he'd be the heaviest SS in MLB. What type of range would he have?
Youkilis playing short? You're on something.

Puff puff pass...
He played some SS in college. I'm not sure it's ideal for him, but he's a very good defensive player. Even though he's a very good first baseman, i think his ultimate goal will be at 3rd base oneday. His range at SS is a question, but to be honest, i think he'd play well wherever you put him in the infield.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
He played some SS in college. I'm not sure it's ideal for him, but he's a very good defensive player. Even though he's a very good first baseman, i think his ultimate goal will be at 3rd base oneday. His range at SS is a question, but to be honest, i think he'd play well wherever you put him in the infield.
I hear Prince Fielder is moving over to SS too. :lol:

He's an ideal 1B... His lateral movement would get exposed at SS. I just can't see it happening. I think the thought here was to play Lowell on days when V Mart takes over at catcher. Veritek wont be in town next year - phase out.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You guys grabbed a good bat, and a solid catcher, that's for sure. But John, I have to be honest with you, the Yankee's look pretty solid this year. It's going to be a tough last 2 months, yet it should be very entertaining to say the least. I cannot believe that Jay's are being so dumb about trading RH. They could have 5 of the best prospects for 1 damn guy... it's not like they're going to be able to contend in that division until they get more solid young guys. They should have traded him a week ago.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
You guys grabbed a good bat, and a solid catcher, that's for sure. But John, I have to be honest with you, the Yankee's look pretty solid this year. It's going to be a tough last 2 months, yet it should be very entertaining to say the least. I cannot believe that Jay's are being so dumb about trading RH. They could have 5 of the best prospects for 1 damn guy... it's not like they're going to be able to contend in that division until they get more solid young guys. They should have traded him a week ago.
They could always trade him on waivers... :toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hear Prince Fielder is moving over to SS too. :lol:

He's an ideal 1B... His lateral movement would get exposed at SS. I just can't see it happening. I think the thought here was to play Lowell on days when V Mart takes over at catcher. Veritek wont be in town next year - phase out.
There are many different ways to play him, but i'd look for Martinez to be playing 1B or Catcher for the remainder of the season. Tek is probably done after this year, but his knowledge of managing a game in invaluable.

Lowell will have off days, so look for Youk to be at 3B quite a bit. Youk is a more natural 3B imo anyway.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always firmly believed that pitching is what wins championships in the end. The Sox have a better starting rotation (imo), and certainly more depth in their bullpen (this also factors into the starting rotation as well). It was a matter of time before the Yankess started to produced offensively, but i really don't think they have the pitching to compliment it.

Boston isn't playing very well right now, but they have all the tools to win it all this year. There is still much baseball to be played, and the Yankees are 0-8 vs. the Sox this year. :laugh2:

How and why Roy Halladay wasn't traded was a horrible move on the Jay's part. They'll realize that soon enough.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Party time in the Bronx, Let's get it on
I'm really looking forward to our series, Frank. Red Sox go into it 8-0, baby!! :afro:

I'm seriously starting to hate everything about the Rays' down here. The majority of their fans (not all) are a bunch of pathetic bandwagon morons; and those fukcin' cowbells are annoying beyond belief. I can say this all with 100% confidence as well because i've lived here for the past 7 years, and I have witnessed the bandwagon event unfold. When they aren't/weren't winning, you couldn't find a "Rays' fan" to save your life, but when they're winning.....they come out of the wood work like they've been a fan all along. Just look at the attendance records for the past 5-6 years as proof..... P A T H E T I C!!

I went to the game tuesday night with my wife. It was the longest freakin' game ever (over 4 hours, and we LOST!!!!)You call yourselves "The Tampa Bay Rays".....yet you play in St. Petersburg, NOT TAMPA, dipsh*ts!

Ok....my rant is over. The truth is, we can't freakin' win with any consistency at Tropicana Field. I have no idea why, but we absolutely suck here. I admit it. We can beat the piss out of the orioles anywhere and everywhere, but we can't buy a win down here. I've gone to all 15 games over the last 2 years here in Tampa/St. Petersburg; we're 2-13 in that time span.

I guess i should be somewhat happy that i get to see my Sox quite a few times every year despite it all, but unfortunately, we suck down here.

Uggghhh.....

GO SOX!!!

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
This thread is very quiet, what happened, A-Rod got your tounges.:18: Your boy JB pitched his tail off as did Burnett, how ironic our bullpen won. This game had everything and obviously I am thrilled with the outcome. Once again it showed why this is the greatest rivalry in professional sports.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to work and missed the whole game. Losing that game was bad for morale. Hopefully Buchholz and Lester pull it even.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I had to work and missed the whole game. Losing that game was bad for morale. Hopefully Buchholz and Lester pull it even.
not likely......shut out. someone give me a broom

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Game 4 is tomorrow, so put your broom away, chief.
come on, you gotta let me gloat a little. we have lost to you guys some many dahm times over the years. but yea, we'll see by this time tomorrow. muhahahaha

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Still think Youk can play shortstop?

He looks like a really ugly 14 year old girl out there in left field. :toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
God damn he is awful in left field. Bay better get off his azz and play tonight. I still do think he'd be a decent short stop though, but that position seems to be a issue with the red sox. Bring back NO-MAH!! :D

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
God damn he is awful in left field. Bay better get off his azz and play tonight. I still do think he'd be a decent short stop though, but that position seems to be a issue with the red sox. Bring back NO-MAH!! :D
Yeah, you definitely have a gap at SS. The guy you snagged off waivers was decent at the defensive end - but hard to judge on the offensive since no one on the Sox has really caught fire this weekend.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
The broom has come out, it's official. The new Yankee Stadium is still a house of horrors for the Red Sox.:18: There's still a long way to go but you have to admit mentally,this weekend had to suck.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
:lol:

What a great game...

Going to be hard for the Sox to recover from 4 straight beatings like this.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol:

What a great game...

Going to be hard for the Sox to recover from 4 straight beatings like this.
The Yanks took 8 straight losses themselves over the first 3 series (all in which the red sox swept them), so don't forget that little tid-bit. I'll still take the 8-4 record against at this point. ;)

They're in a slump. Plenty of time left for MANY things to happen. We're headed back to Boston now to regroup and get back on track. The Red Sox are a very talented team; it's a matter of time before the funk lifts.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was a painful series, but sh*t happens. The Yanks were on the same end of the beatings the last 8 in-a-row. This is baseball, anything can happen.

On a different note: I've said it before, and i'll say it again.....Joe Morgan is the epitome of a Douchebag. I seriously can't even stand to listen to that fukcin' moron talk anymore on "Sunday Night Baseball" on ESPN. He has to be one of the most pompous and egotistical dip****s in sports casting.

ESPN: for the love of god......get rid of that Tool!!

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
That was a painful series, but sh*t happens. The Yanks were on the same end of the beatings the last 8 in-a-row. This is baseball, anything can happen.

On a different note: I've said it before, and i'll say it again.....Joe Morgan is the epitome of a Douchebag. I seriously can't even stand to listen to that fukcin' moron talk anymore on "Sunday Night Baseball" on ESPN. He has to be one of the most pompous and egotistical dip****s in sports casting.

ESPN: for the love of god......get rid of that Tool!!

I am not a fan of Joe Morgan either...I dislike him even more than you bud...remember I am a Cubs fan and Morgan disrespects the Cubs every time they play on Sunday Night Baseball. F*ck that guy!

Now onto the Sox...Yeah the Yanks finally caught up to them. I am still not worried...with V-Mart in Boston and that ridiculous pitching depth (starting and bullpen) I still say the BOSOX are going all the way.

Cheers!:cheers:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Teixeira hit the tiebreaking homer two pitches after Johnny Damon went deep in the eighth inning Sunday night, and the Yankees went on to beat the Red Sox 5-2 and complete their first four-game home sweep of their bitter rival in 24 years."

The Sox are in bad shape and the Yankees took advantage. Sox need to keep an eye on the wild card this season.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Teixeira hit the tiebreaking homer two pitches after Johnny Damon went deep in the eighth inning Sunday night, and the Yankees went on to beat the Red Sox 5-2 and complete their first four-game home sweep of their bitter rival in 24 years."

The Sox are in bad shape and the Yankees took advantage. Sox need to keep an eye on the wild card this season.
Oh Brian; remember 2004 my friend. I could care less about winning the division. The wild card is just as good in the end enroute to a world series championship (The sox have effectively demonstrated that). Yankee fans seem to forget they lost 8 straight games this year prior to this series (3 straight series sweeps). That's a feat more impressive than this past weekend. Our offense was absolutely horrible all weekend. It won't last, i can promise you that. We still meet 6 more times this season. The AL East race ain't over till it's over. ;)

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Game 4 is tomorrow, so put your broom away, chief.
:borladuck: i thought the duck might cheer you up. don't worry, you guys will have two more chances this year to redeem yourselves against us.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:borladuck: i thought the duck might cheer you up. don't worry, you guys will have two more chances this year to redeem yourselves against us.
The duck is funny. :D

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HEy T, I know about the 8-4 record in the Sox favor, however, even with that the Yanks are 6.5 up. WOW!!!